Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

enojy posted:

(I did catch a peek at that VERY RED map, though... I dunno about that... I've got a pretty big TV.)

I'll most likely be playing it on a projector...
I'm pretty curious about that map since it's so huge. People who played the game, roughly how many of those locations are part of the "normal" map you can walk around freely in after school, I'm guessing a lot of them are only seen in special events, cutscenes or social link events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Come to think of it, being a Smash Bros. announcer and a Persona protagonist are pretty similar roles, 90% of your lines are shouting the names of characters or personas when you select them

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
At least the English Ann didn't use her natural speaking voice when recording for the game holy poo poo.
The name pronunciations are pretty bad but otherwise it's ok. I might switch between the 2 dubs on and off for the sake of variety

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
In addition to the whole "target audience of high schoolers and nostalgic adults", "they already did it with P2" etc, I think that a school with stuff like weekly clubs, midterm/final exams and summer vacation is a very good "base" and structure for the kind of calendar based social simulation that Persona 3 + is. Also a school setting has the advantage of being a universal experience everyone has had, even if the Japanese style school is a little different than the experiences overseas audiences had. It wouldn't work as well if the main character worked in an office or whatever.

That reminded me though, something I noticed from reading stuff like the OP is that it seems like none of the Social Links this time around involve school clubs.
I guess it's since this game's protagonist is a social outcast rumored to be a delinquent? So he wouldn't get involved with things like that?
That's probably good even though the clubs had a fixed and fairly easy to remember schedule, the club characters were usually pretty dull compared to the random oddballs like Tanaka and Mutatsu the Buddhist monk from P3.

Hashino's weird P5 "I originally wanted to make the game about backpacking" interviews make me wonder if they were originally considering doing away with the P3-4 social sim format. Though I have the feeling that stuff never got to the point of even thinking about game mechanics and stuff.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It will bring back the Tired condition from Persona 3 except everyone has it by default and there's no way to get rid of it

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Deltasquid posted:

Maybe a bit bizarre as a question but the map in the OP intrigued me. Will we actually see the landmarks/icons on the map for each district? Like will we visit the Tokyo Skytree in Asakusa? Or the Tokyo tower?

That said, will we spend a lot of time in Asakusa?

I really liked Asakusa during my trip to Tokyo, that's all. :v:

Did you ever play Nocturne? Asakusa is one of the main locations.
Like most places in Nocturne it has a cool atmosphere but not much fidelity to the real place.

Is there a convenient list of pictures of all the DLC costumes? I saw it in the thread a long time ago.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I like to think that I will be so excited at finally getting to play 5 that an overly long introduction won't bother me
The real problem with that stuff to me is replay value; I didn't replay 4 very much because when I thought about replaying it I remembered the really long intro and all the really long blocks of cutscenes about drag queen contests and stuff.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
What time zone are these midnight releases usually based on?
I'm not in the US.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Captain Baal posted:

Mementos is loving bad and I hate that it's in the game at all

It is seriously one of the lower points of the game

But yes here is the music, it drones on forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPHCZv4kPM

Since it's the random dungeon of the game it's just keeping the spirit of the Tartarus music.

Is the actual dungeon worse than Tartarus?

At least you get to drive around in a cool car ....?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Tartarus is tolerable but it must suck in comparison when there are actual seemingly good dungeons in the game now.
I assume it's a lot smaller.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah it sounds like it's almost just the obligatory SMT Grind/Recruit old demons Dungeon like Sea Arc, Devil's Peak, Kasugayama bomb shelter etc.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

FractalSandwich posted:

Of course it's a tarot thing. I should have guessed.

That's a much better answer than the guy who tried to tell me it stands for "Shujin".

Yeah it's SJ you know that weird German S that looks like a B

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So uh.... it turns out this thing didn't preload for me and I have to wait for it to download now.
What's the difference between the "4 gb needed to start the application" and the rest of the 20 gb game? I assume it's for an installer or something and I still have to wait for the rest before I can play ...... ?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

If it works like every other PS4 game that pulls that poo poo, you'll be able to turn the game on after the first 4gb are done and stare at the title screen/watch the attract video over and over and over again until it actually finishes.

I guess I'll stare at the attract video for 5+ hours and pretend I'm playing Persona 5
:negative:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Oh, I don't get the point of that but at least it's something.
Last year I waited like 2 hours to play Persona 5 for 10 minutes so it's not as bad as that

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I don't mind the slow introduction at all though I reached the end of the "partial download" and have to wait until tomorrow.

Of course one of my housemates decided to come into the room right before King Kamoshida first walked in in his heart covered robe, that was pretty hilarious

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Knowing Atlus they're likely to make some other Persona or SMT games on PS4 that make use of the Persona 5 engine and assets..... my money is on PS4 getting at least Persona 6 or the inevitable Persona 5 FES or whatever. so you will be missing out on the possibility of future games like that if you get a PS3 instead of 4

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So what do you get from getting a good score on the exams? I'm pretty sure I didn't study enough for the first one
Also there's never any locked chests in Mementos right?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The (early dungeon #2 mechanics) treasure Personas seem super overpowered, I didn't fuse using one yet but I figured when they were introduced that you couldn't summon them from the compendium?
Yet they show up in the compendium with a summoning cost which is only like 4000 yen ??

I am playing the first time on Hard and I bust out laughing when Joker got immediately one-shotted in the battle after (dungeon 2)Yusuke's persona awakening

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welcome to a Shin Megami Tensei hard mode, motherfucker. These are for those who seek the Thrill of Death :toughguy:.

I'm used to it but I always thought of battles like that as glorified cutscenes

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Depends how bothered you are by hearing people's names mispronounced in really strange ways

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So, I'm correct in thinking that (2nd dungeon boss)Madarame's shadow's nose only twitches if you enter the Palace on a "pollen warning" day? That's pretty cool, if a bit difficult to predict since there's no weather forecast like in persona 4.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The game takes place in the year 2020 don't you guys know Roman numerals?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm still fairly early in the game (near end of Palace #3 it seems) and I've been very tempted to blow 100,000 yen (basically my whole wallet) on the 3rd tier SP recovery accessory since I have been having a lot of problems with Joker running out of SP during the dungeon. Is it worth it ...?

I understand that the Fortune confidant also costs 100,000 to start though and I haven't started it yet
It took about 2 dungeon runs to get the money, I am making a bit better money in the game after starting to ask demons for money 1-2 times before most all-out attacks. I know about the confusing mementos bosses trick but it seems like borderline cheating so I don't want to resort to it to get quick money.

Kind of strange that there were no locked chests in the bank at least so far.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Are the black rock, black robe, etc that say "capable of transmutation" eventually going to be useful for anything?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
How long is Kawakami's "break" around rank 8 supposed to last? I was gunning to max out her social link as quickly as possible since it seems like her max s. link ability is the most useful in the game so I am a bit annoyed if the game is artificially stretching it out

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Has anyone played around with Ruthless much? I think the base game is a bit too easy outside of bosses/some tricky enemies but I tend to really dislike hard modes in Atlus games when they make everything cost more money since it just encourages boring grinding for cash.
I guess it's not as much of an issue in this game as with something like Nocturne where all the MC's abilities are gated behind big money walls though.

I have the feeling it would make the game easier if anything in most cases though, especially if knowledge about enemy weaknesses is retained on NG+.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It sucks that Haru's baton pass is gated behind max level proficiency, I'm only at 3
(Palace #6) I assume I'm in for a reaaalllly long ride if I send the calling card, much more so than usual?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arist posted:

You can't send the calling card until the end, go game proficiency, it boosts real quick

End meaning the deadline day for the whole "month"?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The SP adhesives are very useful but when people are talking about having 100,000 yen after the third palace they're definitely referring to the Fortune confidant, not that or Kawakami.

I finally finished this game in April after playing it for 4 months... Persona 3 and 4 only took a month when I played them the first time but maybe I had less of a life 10-ish years ago
I'm weirdly tempted to start NG+ to try ruthless difficulty and try for maxing all s. links with the benefits from clear data but I ought to resist and let it sit for a while.

I was wondering about the little stat-gated choices in the beginning of the game that it's very difficult/impossible to do on a first playthrough.
I can only recall the locked dialogue option when meeting Shido in the hotel after Kamoshida's palace. And I guess dodging the chalk the first time but that comes up 2 or 3 other times much later in the game.
Were there any others?

I only got Guts and Kindness to rank 4 (everything else at 5) at the end of the game is why I am wondering, though I guess I can get Guts up to 5 before the end of Kamoshida's palace assuming that option requires 5.
Did Persona 3 have any options like that? I only remember asking Yukiko for her phone number in the beginning of 4 and can't recall others in that game.

One other random question, does for example Evade Fire from an accessory stack with the Evade Fire skill on a Persona? Asking since I had everyone other than Joker carrying accessories to evade their weakness but not sure if they had any effect after people got their second personas.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Once you get past the gold lion forms, he mostly uses strong physical attacks but isn't physical - repel anymore. This is one of the fights where it's pretty fun to have a Physical repel persona on Joker and have Haru slap Tetrakarn on everyone, so when he does a really powerful physical attack it will take out a big chunk of his health instead of harming you. But that might just be my silly strategy, naturally it consumes a lot of SP for Haru
As far as his very last form's super attack, he will use it twice in the fight (on the turn after he goes below 50% health, and then after he goes below 25% health) so be mindful of that and have everyone healed and guard on those turns. If you are using tetrakarn a lot as I was then you may need to be a bit more careful since the damage from his attacks being reflected can put you into the 50% / 25% threshold before you are really prepared.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CordlessPen posted:

Quoting myself to say that it did, just in case any new player was wondering. Once you get actual, full access to the first palace (for me it was about 5-6 hours in...), the game really opens up. I'm actually sort of glad that it drip-fed me all the mechanics at first because it already is kind of overwhelming when you get access to the palace and velvet room and all the activities and confidants and you realize that your MC is the slowest guy in the world.

Seriously, 3 lockpicks and my Sunday's gone?

I'm also a bit irked because I left the palace at the last safe room because I was literally out of SP, only to find out when I got back that I had a straight line to the treasure room and that I was forced to leave at that point anyway, so I wasted a day.

I'm really starting to love this game now.

You can spend an entire evening filling out a single clue on a crossword puzzle in this game. Maybe even an entire day

e: Save the tool making for evenings, and later on in the game you can get some means to help get this kind of stuff done while doing other things like confidants at the same time.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 1, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
To be fair a lot of people do this on the first dungeon since it's before you learn exactly how dungeons work in this game.
You can't actually do the 2nd palace in one day because of the thing with having to open Madarame's door
I've had a lot of palaces which took longer in real days than game days.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
She will always be unavailable for a day or so after a rank up because she's "analyzing the data", it's likely a deliberate pacing thing since it's one of the earliest / easiest confidants.
There are questions to answer though
I don't think you should be at the point where you are getting generic "I don't think my relationship will deepen yet" type meetings, but if you do then you can give her the cactus from the flower shop in Shibuya underground mall or the classical music CD.

For the first time tips guy I would say confusing bosses in mementos is something of an exploit but you should be asking for money from demons before nearly every all-out attack once you unlock the Sun confidant.
Money is still scarce in the game so I generally prioritized medicine and protectors / accessories. Melee weapons are a lower priority since you should be using Persona skills 90% of the time instead of regular attacks. But they do affect the damage dealt by all-out attacks. Guns should be last priority since they are mostly used for hitting weaknesses.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
In addition to what other people said, physical repel personas are rad as gently caress but you don't need to work towards them. They are valuable beyond their level as a shield against physical heavy bosses and enemies since MC death is game over, the lowest level one I believe is Shiki-Ouji. Shiki-Ouji, Arahabaki, Rangda, Girimehkala etc. Girimehkala will get you the Repel Phys skill so you can fuse it onto anything else to get the same properties.
Sun confidant is useful for negotiations and earning more money but the 3 that the last poster mentioned are the most important.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Well, there's one thing really worth seeing about the one in P5 but you can just see that on Youtube...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CJ posted:

I get that but here's one i'm looking at now.

"Why you come all the way here?"

I'm here for the food.
I'm here for the women.
I'm here to find myself.

To me none of those match the irritable traits. It was ok in the first dungeon when you just had to do ok but these Shiki-Oujis require you to give 2 perfect responses which just seems like bullshit when it gives questions like that. It makes me thing it's lost in translation, is it more obvious in Japanese when you have different pronouns and poo poo?

I like to think that the idea with demon negotation, with a lot of things in the series is "don't take it too seriously".

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah the last dungeon is pretty short and easy especially the puzzles? And it's not like they are throwing encounters at you during the puzzles or anything.
By the way you can leave the dungeon, but just to go to the weapon and item shops, so be sure to stock up on recovery items while you still can.
The only thing that gave me some pause is that it's a bit longer trek than usual to the first safe room, to the point that I wasn't sure it would have safe rooms at all.

The previous dungeon's puzzles are more tedious than challenging or frustrating really since there's a fair amount of backtracking involved.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CJ posted:

Well i'm coming up to the culture festival now so here's what i think.

The Futaba mom stuff was confirmed almost immediately after the last point i stopped. The fifth calling card mentioned greed and the fourth sloth, confirming the 7 deadly sins thing. Working from that it makes Kamoshida lust, the mafia guy i guess i gluttony in that he consumes wealth rather than hordes it like Haru's dad. I guess Madarame is envy out of what is left, in that he envied the talents of his students? In the interrogation scene it said that their next target was Sae, so i'm guessing she gets a bit zealous in coming after the Phantom Thieves which makes her wrath, and the bald guy is pride. I'm in two minds over this though. Quoting wikipedia "As pride has been labelled the father of all sins, it has been deemed the devil's most prominent trait." which would make me think the Devil is the god behind it all. However, since the Phantom thieves' whole shtick is rebelling against unjust authority it makes me think Arsene's final form will be Lucifer given how he has wings, horns and uses curse magic. That leads to the antagonist being the Archangels. The guy who shot Haru's father was blatantly Akechi. At this point i'm beginning to have doubts and wondering if they made it so obvious just to have a bait and switch and have it end up being Mishima, that guy seems to have issues. As for the traitor i thought for a moment that Haru would get the wrong idea after overhearing about the principle's death but she seems to be going along with it. It might be someone slipping up when getting interviewed, or if Sea is the next dungeon it would give an excuse for Akechi to join and immediately turn heel as he has a personal connection to her.

Yeah, keep it up these are interesting posts.
I don't really think this is a spoiler, but if you look at the Trophy list for the game it will tell you which sins the characters / palaces are supposed to represent. Some of them are a little mismatched though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I thought it was weird that going to the Maid Cafe increased your Charm, I think it should subtract your Charm if anything.