Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What if Frasier Crane joined the Fantastic Four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kelsey Grammar had raging problems with alcoholism while recording several seasons of this show.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cosmik Slop posted:

Anytime Frasier "went to a conference" Kelsey was in rehab/detox

What? Was that a thing? I don't really remember any episodes of Frasier Minus Frasier.

Calaveron posted:

Supposedly Grammer would just be sitting down unresponsive and zonked out of his mind but as soon as they called action he'd immediately react and start acting only to shut down again after the scene ended

This is what I heard too. Like the guy was basically completely blitzed to the point where he couldn't move, but when a scene was rolling he went hard like a goddamn madman until "cut" was called and then basically drop wherever he was.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

At what point does the Fras' get a haircut and stop looking like a homeless former symphony conductor? I want to throw on the show while I'm working on some stuff but I don't want to have nightmares about how bad that hair was later

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah I think he's well spoken but venomously right wing, and a little psycho.

To be fair I think like half his family was murdered, in one case I think a shark may have been involved

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

kelsey grammar is just a fun actor to watch even if you dont like frasier

this x forever

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I started rewatching at s3 because he didn't have clown hair in the thumbnails and it's been really good so far, lots of classic episodes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Frasier is great because he and Niles are such extraordinarily awful people most of the time. It's like Always Sunny with rich socialites and sherry instead of undereducated poor people and beer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The most hosed up episode is the one where a series of awkward misunderstandings leads Niles and Frasier to kill and eat Eddie. Then they replace him with a new dog but Martin doesn't even notice.

I know. They serve him with mint jelly when everyone knows that disrupts the delicate balance of flavors in terriers. I couldn't sleep the night I saw that episode I was so upset.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is it okay to really like frasier but think cheers is kinda trash ? asking for a friend

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Timby posted:

Cheers is really, really, really good for its first, like, six years. Those last five seasons, though ... oof. The finale was great, though.

i've only seen some of the early stuff, the only episode i remember at all really is the one where the sports fan lady waitress assaults some dude for talking poo poo about the bar owner

to the show's credit it wasn't just a one-off gag, it was like the impetus for the episode: "you flew off the handle and ASSAULTED A CUSTOMER and now he is SUING YOU"

but it still felt really lame and bad

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

My least favorite episode has got to be the one where Roz's baby daddy's parents show up and have these enormous noses. That's the joke. And, okay, maybe funny when you see it for the first time, but then you have to watch every other character walk in and laugh hysterically at this dumb joke over and over and the noses look really fake and it's just bad. I'm trying to remember what else happened in that episode but all I can recall is that stupid scene.

That really WAS the whole joke. The cherry on the poo poo sundae was that Roz's baby daddy's nose had work done after an accident - her kid's destined to have a huge honker too.

Still, as weak as the premise was, I appreciate the times in the show when they're all busting a gut laughing together instead of sniping at each other over aged brandy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

does anybody ever talk about how much of an absentee father frasier is

i wanna say it was theorized in this thread that a lot of his insecurities and eccentricities could probably be traced back to losing custody of his kid so hard that he literally moved to the other side of the country

i never watched cheers long enough for him to show up but apparently his personality is different enough for that to be a valid opinion?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cosmik Slop posted:

It should have been Niles and Mel. She was never the raging bitch-goddess the show had to turn her into so the Niles/Daphne "magic" would look better in comparison.

i've heard this parroted a lot in this thread and elsewhere and its' like lol, did you actually watch the show u motherfuckre, because the literal first episode with mel had her being an insane shrill harpy woman who immediately negged niles into getting plastic surgery haha

i mean niles isn't a great person or anything but come ON lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

she literally made a point of trying to engender enmity between the crane brothers vis a vis the wine club and stuff, i mean i've seen you post insanely stupid poo poo SK, I get that it's your gimmick, but you're wrong and she's bad, sorry

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Remember when Pam was the sweetest lady during the Jim and Pam romance, and as soon as they got married she turned in to a real sarcastic rear end in a top hat? Sitcom writers know the real deal

i don't remember her being the sweetest lady just an enabling bully who cheated on her fiance tbh

i also remember her fiance being dumb and insensitive but generally a decent enough dude, and then suddenly when it was time for pam and jim to hook up it was like WHOA BY THE WAY HE'S A HUUUUUUUUUGE VIOLENT PSYCHO, HAHA, DON'T HAVE SYMPATHY FOR THIS GUY CUZ HE'S A JERK in a tonal shift so jarring that loving dwight was regarded as a hero for the whole episode

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Don't feel bad for Roy. He would've been stuck in a depressing rut married to Pam, and even though he hit rock bottom, in the final season he ended up owning a successful business and marrying someone hotter and generally seeming much happier than Jim and Pam were.

that was genuinely uplifting

it's kinda like the new gilmore girls miniseries which kind of retroactively justifies the entire original show by showing rory's life falling apart more and more over the course of a year because being a snobby pretentious wit-dispenser is not actually a marketable skill

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

Rory spends the entire original series loving up her life though.

She's explicitly the worst Gilmore girl by the end.

seriously the new miniseries is i n c r e d i b l e for making this explicit. like emily's arc is all about her leaving behind her elitism and social circles and becoming more grounded, lorelai basically realizes that if she keeps being the rebellious manic pixie girl she's going to push people away forever and settles down, and rory just spends every single movie loving up her life worse and worse by her own precocious do-no-wrong hands until it culminates in those Last Four Words. ....which honestly kinda lost their impact so long after the show first aired, since rory's now as old as lorelai was when the show started and she was 16

naem posted:

Alexis Bledel is super hot though

this is why i started watching that show but i still dig it tbh

hmmm i think i've posted about gilmore girls in this, the frasier thread. roz is really hot. also when daphne was pregnant I thought the show actually capitalized on it well and gave it some meaning beyond "lol fat people"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

You are. The idea that Emily and Richard are bad people is just where the show begins, as its jumping off point. Lorelai's view of them is frequently proved to be wrong, and her method of parenting leads to Rory becoming a selfish idiot who breaks up marriages and runs off with the similarly selfish rich playboy idiot.

Escaping the saccharine-sweet kookiness and constant support/enabling of the town is the only way to grow and succeed, as we see with Jess.

Emily in particular has her rough moments but viewed from the lens of having to deal with Lorelai her whole life that's pretty understandable.

Richard, however, is a drat saint the whole show through.

It really is amazing to watch again, knowing how it ends now (after A Year in the Life) - all the criticisms of the characters and how offputting they would be in real life was entirely intentional on the part of Amy Sherman-Palladino and resolved wonderfully. Even Luke seemed to go through significant growth.

Plus, the scene at the end of YitL where Emily is working at the whaling museum, scaring kids with stories of blood gushing everywhere is both one of the funniest things I've ever seen and the best resolution to a character arc ever, and it would have had zero impact without the full run of the show leading up to it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

revolther posted:

That show where two annoying women ruin lives and annoy a whole town by misquoting groucho marx bullshit.

c'mon, it's not just the two women ruining lives, melissa mccarthy's husband on the show lied to her about getting a vasectomy and it's played for laughs as she finds out she's pregnant again

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FuhrerHat posted:

how are yall talkin gilmore girls and nobody said paris rules

paris rules super hard

so does jess once he stops being a dick just for the sake of it all the time

dean is scum

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Didn't the series end with Rory getting on Barack Obama's plane?

yes, after she met her personal idol just by chance, and the entire town came out to throw her a last-minute going away party

the new miniseries set in 2016 showed that she utterly failed to capitalize on that before waffling about between increasingly worse jobs. she ends up back in the small town after failing all the way back home and can't even find a job there - despite how much everyone always loved rory, stars hollow got along just fine without her, probably better in fact. she finally ends up editing her small town newspaper for literally no money and getting pregnant with the kid of her rich ex-bf who is engaged to some french aristocrat, forced to watch as the people around her lead fulfilling lives with each other and not squandering ivy-league educations on nothing

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

I thought Gilmore Girls was the comedy about the four old ladies?

that's The View

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked Mel too. She wasn't like Maris. She cared about Niles and was no where near as snippy as everyone else in the show, but they all aced like she was this horrible garbage monster because she suggested that Niles could be cork master (a stupid thing to begin with). Even the episode the used to establish she was a bitch they just skipped over everything and just had the main cast tear into her after the time skip.

you've said this a few times in this thread and it's just so boneheadedly stupidly wrong it's amazing

mel is, literally from the first scene she's introduced in, a condescending control freak who browbeats niles into getting unnecessary cosmetic surgery. she didn't give two shits about niles, she cared about his status, hence the whole toastmaster thing. she has zero redeeming qualities and the fact that she's the victim of the rest of the cast being lovely to her doesn't magically make her a good person.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

you can't truly be this bad at reading

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WampaLord posted:

They ruined his Thanksgiving, I believe.

yeah, meanwhile Niles or Martin or someone is trying to make the kid less of a wuss and give him a black eye and allergic reaction

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

wtf is mahoney dubbed over in that clip?

RIP old ugly chair man :( legitimately sad about this one, he seemed like a cool old guy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

reminder that mel bullies niles into unnecessary cosmetic surgery in literally the scene she is introduced

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Am I wrong?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the smaller the grain size for a given substance, the larger the total surface area. if you've got 10g of salt, one in a monolithic chunk and the other in insanely fine powder, the latter has a bigger surface area

put another way, if you had a big rock of salt and the same volume of salt pounded down into the finest grain imaginable, which do you think would dissolve in a cup of water first? your first point was basically exactly backwards

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I actually really like the parking garage episode, but it's not the kind of thing you want to rewatch that often.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cosmik Slop posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people

the parking garage episode is frasier getting totally completely wrecked by a nonissue because of his ridiculous hubris, it's like the ur-frasier

plus i think the payoff at the end is p funny

like i said, though, it's long enough and awkward enough that you really don't want to watch it too often

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

beast is about as frasier crane as you can possibly be in a mainstream comic book, and the fact that he already has s1 frasier hair probably helped grammar nail the role

seriously though replace "dinner party" with "idiotic experiment that almost kills all of reality" and "radio show" with "blue fur" and they're identical

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cosmik Slop posted:

The joke would've worked a lot better without that long, climactic speech Martin did in the first season about how his chair was the one remnant of his old life, how it was tied up with the most precious memories a man could ever have, and how no god drat leather recliner could ever even come close.

:wrong: it makes the joke even better, because giving impassioned speeches and going back on them later is a mondo Crane move

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I feel like that's not a good thing to google.

you and i are very different people

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it's astounding how even late season 'bad' frasier still shits all over most other sitcoms

niles' Cam Winston accent in the L'Port Argent spa episode is hilarious and that's like late season 10

the overwrought 'oh no niles had a heart attack' episode is really bad when they're in the hospital, but even the episode leading to it is pretty great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Marenghi posted:

He was, even after he got Daphne he was.

Like how he never saw her weight gain and refused to see her as a real person, only as the fantasy he built up in his mind.

the whole point of that episode was calling that out and trying to acknowledge how weird their relationship really was, and i think it did an okay job (certainly far better than most shows that would just ignore it and roll)

quote:

Come to think of it they never had much meaningful interaction prior to her finding out his secret obsession.

he saw her basically every day and hung out with her a bunch, like yeah he was making excuses to see her but he still did see her. poo poo, she is prepared to temporarily move in with him when she has a fight with martin's gf Sherry.

quote:

He was the gooniest character when you think of it.

no argument there

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the episode where they reminisce about leon, the long lost third crane, got dark fast

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah I started watching Cheers off and on and got really weirded out by Sam literally breaking in the door to Diane's apartment.

lmao i just saw this episode for the very first time and was like "holy poo poo call the cops" and diane did not disappoint

e:

The Saucer Hovers posted:

dont worry in the next to last episode he gets woke and shits all over himeslf and the show

really? spoiler me cuz there's a million seasons of this

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i'm watching cheers and sam wants to watch tv at dianes house and he has to go and grab the TV from the closet and set it up on the table and it's this tiny lil 5" screen lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i gotta say the first season of cheers is really rough and nothing special but there have been some season 2 episodes that are just slaying me

cliff: 'ey, diane? i never took a karate lesson in my life, could ya get me to the hospital quick? had me actually laughing out loud despite how clearly telegraphed it was