Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I just ran into the Ted Danson episode and man it's weird when he isn't Old Man Charm the elemental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I put season 1 on for background noise again, it seems so different to the later seasons episodes in that a lot of stuff just... Doesn't get resolved by the end of the episode in any real way. I guess the steak restaurant one is the best example, Martin just straight up tells the Crane Boys they're shitheads and their own mother would be ashamed were she alive. Not that they didn't deserve it, but it just basically ends there, like a lot of the early Martin plotlines. They do acknowledge this in the episode where Martin and Frasier actually have a conversation and Martin points out it takes time for people to establish a working relationship, which was a nice touch.

Also not just letting David Hyde Pierce have 3 minutes of physical comedy every episode is a crime! :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bit funny since in the latest D&D edition Bards are apparently OP as gently caress.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Daphne's psychic powers? At least when they're really funny.

I appreciate Daphne, but a lot of it is Martin's reactions to her weird stories and powers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m sure this was covered before but I think I missed it.

Frasier was a captain in Trek and Lilith was a space alien that riker bones but were Niles or Dad ever in trek?

I feel like the dad was but I don’t remember it.

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qxD2eoh-W4

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They show the teevee in the episode where Martin does a political ad. I think?

Is that the same episode where they make Eddie "talk" with Frasier's voice on teevee too? Goddamn I need to rewatch this show :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If the Crane boys went to Rehoboth there would definitely be some gay jokes. Tasteful ones, not Friends level! Probably something about Roz (who is along for some reason) finding this amazing bar full of hot guys and getting a surprise.

Honey, it would be the hot guys getting a surprise :hmmyes:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The episode of Modern Family where Roz is the hooker really threw me for a loop. She pretty much plays Roz, too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Lilith is somehow the best character in both Cheers and Frasier.

Though that could just be my ongoing crush on Bebe Neuwirth talking.

The episode where Lilith and Niles hook up :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Season 1 as background noise again, and I just noticed that in one episode there's a pretty weird scene. Niles brings a friend/relative (?) of Maris's to the apartment, and Daphne announces that there's just frozen pizza rolls but they're expired, "are we game?" I can buy this as a way of trying to get rid of the awful person, but this is followed by Daphne and Martin having a chat in the kitchen, where Daphne chops up a cucumber or something, picks up a folder as the conversation is ending, and leaves the kitchen, the chopped up vegetable bits left on the chopping board for no discernible reason. Obviously the conversation is the point of the scene, Martin is shy about his bum hip, but the actions don't make any god drat sense. :confused:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But then, Maris.

"Oh my, yes, we did push our beds together that night, no mean feat considering her room is across the hall!, but then my poor dove turned and fell between the beds. It took Martha all evening to coax her out of there, she was so embarrassed."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Da na na na na na, flesh is burning

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If you can't sit down to a good 6 minutes or so of David Hyde Pierce trying and failing to make the perfect dinner, with Eddie in tow, I just don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You say that, but there's the Valentine's (?) episode where Niles almost burns the apartment down

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

David Hyde Pierce is pretty good at physical comedy, I feel the show didn't utilize that enough instead of just having Kelsey yell NILES at him over and over.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Eddie isn't a gigantic ball-eating monstrosity, Marty would hate that thing

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think Bebe might want to consider her options

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think Frasier would be a bit less approving of Niles and Daphne's ultimate elopement considering what Diane did to him, and how it's shown to be something that he's justifiably upset and traumatised over.

Well, first of all, it's all Frasier's fault, in ways more than one. But he also watched Niles be very unhappy with Maris for a long time, and while obviously Niles's infatuation was played for laughs for years, Frasier does seem to care about his brother deeply and wants him to be happy. The exchange they have in the episode where Niles and Lilith (!) have a one-night stand is pretty good, Niles asks if they're "OK" and Frasier responds "No, but we will be."

It's very ends justify the means, I guess, but that's not very out of character for Frasier, who does behave very self-centeredly a lot of the time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

As a Mancunian, she may as well be from the moon.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The arc where Niles finds his own place once he has his finances in order is interesting, specifically highlighting the difference in tastes and preferred lifestyle to Frasier despite their similarities. Frasier's iconic apartment is high up, open and relatively modern, while I'm not sure if it's on purpose, but the set for Niles' place has a very cosy and... earthy feel to it, almost underground, on top of being specifically a historic building with very high standards for tenants. Frasier's apartment is quite large and has an unusual layout that's nonetheless practical and lends itself to several residents not treading on each others' toes too much, while Niles' is said to be larger than the set makes it look, but easy to get lost in.

I felt the show did an okay job selling Niles's place being relatively large, there's that hallway next to the front door that leads to ????, there's an upstairs that I can't remember being directly shown, but Daphne's mother rather evocatively demonstrates some of its qualities in the famous painter episode, etc. We sort of see all of Frasier's place in some way, right? The hallway that leads to Frasier's and Marty's bedrooms is partially shown in a few episodes, and the other hallway to Daphne's room too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sure this isn't comprehensive, but it's a start

quote:

Among other problems, it is revealed during the series that Maris exhausts easily under the pressure to be interesting, cannot produce saliva, once had a $25,000 face lift and is allergic to roses. She also has abnormally rigid vertebrae, slightly webbed fingers and an underbite. Perfume gives her hives and her skin has no pigmentation. Getting angry causes one of her eyes to twitch.

Foods she claims she cannot eat (due to allergies or other reasons) include shellfish, poultry, red meat, saturated fats, nitrates, wheat, starch, sulfites, MSG, dairy and nuts. She also claims she is hypoglycaemic. It is revealed that Maris has an eating disorder, probably anorexia.

She has a fear of flying due to a bad experience when she was bumped from first class; she also dislikes public display of rhythm.

She cannot have pets because, according to Niles, she distrusts anything that loves her unconditionally (this contradicts the statement about the ocelot and the dogs, mentioned above).

She is too light to activate a whoopie cushion and is so weak that she once became trapped in a revolving door. She is also so weak that she couldn’t activate a clapper light. She once tried to stomp grapes to make wine, dancing herself into a frenzy, but did not crush a single grape. She needs help slamming a door, and does not leave footprints in the snow

She once sprained her wrist from having too much dip on a cracker. In another episode, Niles commented that wearing a pair of the latest hooped-earrings had compressed Maris’ spine.

She cannot ride a horse because her quadriceps are so tight she cannot straddle anything larger than a border collie (This is also later contradicted, in an instance involving chemical bonding, and a horse saddle Niles had bought her, although since she was doing a “Lady Godiva Impression”, she may have been riding side-saddle).

It was alluded to in the season three episode “Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fired” that she once was addicted to cough syrup.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

Really? I always thought they were just using the same gag they used on Cheers for Norm's wife Vera.

To be fair, they realized there was no living human who could portray her as described by the end of season 1, so they moved on relatively quickly

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My genre crossover idea:

If I win the lottery I will commission a series of Frasier transformers toys, where objects from Frasier's apartment turn into kickass robots with action missiles

Episode where Martin and Daphne drop one of the priceless pieces of schlock someone scammed Frasier with artefacts from Tibet or wherever, glue it back together, and the episode ends in a Cronenbergian horror scene where the emerging robot is a thing of nightmares

Kill... Meee....

Niles: If only Frasier had 200 bucks for every therapy session of his that ended with that line. Oh, wait

laughtrack

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The song opens with "I hear the blues a'callin", so the blues would be calling again. Though I personally always hear it as his callers calling again, the song says it's the psych issues, sigh. Frasier presumably feels like he can help his callers, hence his career and "I got you pegged". The unresolved issue must be something else.

His family and friends and relationships are constantly a mess (it is a sitcom after all, they have to be), and he doesn't "know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs", so it seems like the salads/eggs might be references to the problems moreso than the people/callers?

Seems like "I have the blues, again, about love and relationships (what else?); obviously unsolved. I understand your problems; but who the heck knows how to unfuck relationship drama".

"There is a saying you can't unscramble eggs" definitely does seem to apply, but Frasier can help the crazy, the addicted, the bedwetters. Instead, the eggs seem to be the endless squabbles that people create trying to exist together, and generally the things that cause the blues.

This post needs a closer where it turns out, somehow, the lyrics were about their mother's lab rats instead.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Variety posted:

Lyndhurst will play Alan Cornwall, described as “Frasier’s old college buddy turned university professor. British, boozy and larger than life, Alan has an intellect on par with Frasier’s—if only he ever felt like using it. Alan’s mischievous streak might be just what Frasier could use to shake up his routine, while Frasier’s thoughtful guidance might help Alan find some of the direction he’s been missing in his own life.”

No. No no no. gently caress off.

Frasier was never the straight man of the outfit. He bumbled his way through to making some good things happen, yes, but they were always accidents to his hubris and played as such. If he's now the big bro to a college professor joker, just... What are you even doing? :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

NNNIIIILEEEES! This is why you always save the screenshots!

You're just upset you're not on a screen yourself.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bulldog is on trial for participating in Jan 6th

Frasier helps him walk on an insanity plea

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Frasier is an alcoholic

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The episode where Niles winds up with Lilith makes it sort of clear that Frasier and Lilith have a mutual attraction, but they also recognize that they are not compatible as a romantic couple. They both seem vested in Frederick's upbringing and development (Lilith slightly over-the-top as a joke in some cases). On paper Lilith is a better parent, and it would explain why a court would side with her. It's unclear how big of an effort Frasier would have made for custody at the time anyway, when would that have been, some time during Cheers?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier's seemingly quite oversized apartment- which has enough room to make sure there's always a guest bedroom available.

Is this true? We see in the fire alarm episode that the hallway that has bedrooms has Frasier's, Marty's and that's about it. I don't think they show the hallway around Daphne's room, but there is an episode centered around it, and it seems to be a room weirdly on its own.

Now, Niles's apartment (can you believe he rents that thing?) has rooms a-plenty for guests, which is also the focus of a few episodes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Niles has a very small speech about how he "walked past these apartments and thought what wonderful people must live there" or somesuch, it's a Thing. Of course the Shangri-la is a contrast to that, for laughs. Niles is very much Frasier turned up to 11.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If Frasier had been made ten years earlier there would've been some kind of video game

Infocom presents: The Crane Boys Mystery 3

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That was pretty terrible, I wonder if it'll actually be the intro sequence. But hey, there was beer in it, so Cheers fans are invited? :confuoot:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Saucer Hovers posted:

fraiser is going to lead his son fredrick into the light of christ

Lilith eloped with Brent Spiner and joined the Church of the Jedi, no more Jewish influence in Freddy's life, Frasier found Christ in re-hab. This is a season's worth of plot-line already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Niles was excited by the idea, at least