Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

And yes, if the goal of a penalty is to put one driver behind the driver he hit (which seemed to be the case to me), it probably should take into account the realities of the race. Again, shouldn't be confusing.

You mean like in Valencia 2010 where Hamilton cheated, Alonso didn't. Net result Alonso got hosed down to 8th and Hammy's punishment didn't even cover the advantage gained by a long shot. Don't remember the FIA investigation into that one. Ofcourse a big song and dance wasn't made about it because it was the good British lad that benefited.

This is some storm in a teacup poo poo and would basically be forgotten by Austria except the British media is helping their boy over the line again. Vettel had a brainfade, gave a wheels to wheels bump at low speed, and was punished appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

What year is it currently?

If the past doesn't matter, then Baku was almost a week ago. The FIA can forget about it!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

lmfao

"seven years ago and seven days ago are the same"

wicka posted:

It is the FIA's role to adequately punish drivers for violating the rules.

Jesus christ you cant even keep up with your own bullshit.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

So you bring up an example from before there were race Stewards to prove that punishments aren't consistent? This is exactly why they bought in race Stewards genius, so the Stewards could make an on the fly decision that corrected the incident to as fair a degree as possible, instead of just blindly going "well the rules say give Hamilton a drive through penalty" and leaving it at that.

There were race stewards in 2010.

This is what Alonso said after the race - "‘It’s a shame, not for us because this is racing but for all the fans who watched a manipulated race.
'They were disgusted by the injustices that were happening. There was a bottle thrown on the track, which is not normal."

and Ferrari

‘A scandal, that’s the opinion of so many fans and employees who are all in agreement.
‘The way the race and the incidents during it were managed raises doubts that could see Formula One lose credibility again.’

So very strong words and stamping of feet, yet nothing was done about it? Wonder if it would have been the same if it was Fred Adams driving for team British Racing Green.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 29, 2017

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
No the big change to stewards came after the 2008 season. The season our Lewis was robbed of a win and it was the darkest day in the history of the sport. Suddenly then it was critical to change things.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The best thing to come out of Seb's non punishment is Joes award having a bit of a meltdown.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The comments section is pretty fun, especially when joes award does one of his super arrogant 5 word responses.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

What's the loving story there. That's something that the FIA should definitely be looking into, could've very easily have been a fatality.

They aren't interested if its at racing speeds sorry.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Here's a sad stat I decided to look up -

Alonso's best finish with Mchonda is 5th, which he achieved 3 times in the 48 races since Honda joined the sport again.

In those same 48 races Vettel, in Alonso's old seat, has finished 5th or higher 40 times. (Inc 26 podiums).

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The last time there was NOT an anthem from The Greater German Reich played on the podium? The 2013 Spanish Grand Prix when the great hero Alonso won.

Edit - And the last time atleast both of the anthems weren't from Axis nations - the 2012 Brazilian GP with British hero Jenson Button.

Tell me, who really won the war?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I only count war victories by how many Grand Prix those nations are winning 70 years later thanks very much.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Khablam posted:

It's the one where they drive in small squares at 30mph surrounded by 20m of crash barrier.
The name slips my mind but you see them there all the time.

:stoke:

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I remember it gave Brundle a huge self righteous boner which he tugged for
months to anyone that cared.

To be fair to Brundle though, he had been on about recovery vehicles/marshalls in runoff areas for like 20 years.

Ofcourse there were 2 big factors in play during Bianchi's incident, the other being that up till that race a yellow flag did not mean 'slow down and drive cautiously', it meant 'drive almost as fast as you were, just make sure its a tenth or two slower.'

Call me a heartless bastard who wants drivers to die if you must, but I really don't like the halo/shield idea at all. If the FIA properly police yellow flags and car recovery, I think the current risk (very low) of head damage is acceptable.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Minimal talking.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

All they had to do was announce a streaming service along the lines of MotoGP. That's it. Everything else is window dressing. Possibly entertaining sure, but not the meat of what people want from F1.

iracing F1 wouldn't be too bad though.

No way Im heaps more interested in Snapchat discover!!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Is it ok to dislike Kim Jong Un (who is almost as bad as Lewis), or is that considered racist?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Maybe gently caress off with all the dumb feature creep and make the sim-driving an F1 car bit actually good.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Hi.
Buy a kart.

You think I make bin-tyre money?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Just quietly I think the Williams car should probably sit around where the Redbull was early season, the two drivers are just so bad it looks like a much worse car.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Canada 2007 indeed. Watching Rihanna look bored while the teams tried desperately to keep everything dry on the grid...

I remember the heroic journalist going for the 'oh drat I fell over with my camera' upskirt shot of Rihanna.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Can I suggest apple is way overpriced and iTunes is the worst piece of software ever made?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ferrari have been far too loyal to their long term drivers for ages now. Boobens, Massa, Kimi 1, Kimi 2, all should have been dropped from the team way earlier (ok maybe not Kimi's first go round)

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Brundle is 100 times as good as any horrible yank commentary team, hth.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Q26PqIGWk&t=475s

That ones for all you dumb guys who think F1 has any road relevance at all.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
You know F1 is getting too soft when your hoping it doesn't rain. I prefer to see the cars on the track rather then in the pitlane.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
100% chance that the Williams is actually a much better car then the Force India/Renault/Toro Rosso and the team has lost a shitload of points because they have the worst driver pairing on the grid.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Chiming in with - The 2012 Malaysia GP was pretty good.

1) Alonso won, held off a charging Checo in the rain.
2) Perez did good.
3) There was a really coooool guy in the crowd.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
'Goons' will know that I am a man with considerable patience and I allow almost everyone to comment on this forum (as long as they do not post anything positive about Hamilton), however there are limits to my patience. Writing sensibly about sport-related politics can unleash some pretty interesting emotions amongst readers. Some are rational, some not. People, of course, feel emboldened by the anonymity of the internet and believe that they can be as unpleasant as they like, without fear of any response. This is a false assumption because unless you have taken some fairly complicated precautions, which the average mouth-breathing jerk does not think to do, most messages can be traced – if one knows the right people to do it.

Edit -
I thought readers might like to see the kind of response one gets. This particular one comes from a man who calls himself 'Wicka', which is, of course, a fake name. This paper tiger, who we shall call Wicka, left a fake email address as well (I tried it), in the finest traditions of heroes through the ages, but I thought I would share his thoughts, just so you can see the kind of reaction one can get from people without education, brains or the means to express themselves in a coherent fashion. I am not sure it is worth tracing this particular one, and getting them banned from their email services and so on, but it is worth doing now and then, to remind people that civility is a corner stone of a sensible society.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 28, 2017

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Story time - yesterday my brother and his gf were flying out to Malaysia for the GP. Danny Ric was on the same flight (from Perth) and they had a quick chat and selfie with Dan. My bro was on fb messenger with me while hesitating about going over to Dan. I pratically BEGGED him to call Dan the 'colgate bogan' but sadly he chickened out. He said he did refer to Max as Verstrappon but Dan didn't catch it.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Sorry yanks, Im just about a literal binman (work at a landfill) and you can be drat sure I get OT for anything after 7.6 hrs and penalty rates on the weekend

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

Based on his last few posts, it's more likely he's the trash :smug: *

*I don't actually feel this way, but can't pass up the opportunity to make this joke

No no its fine, your basically correct anyway.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Even without seeing Strolls camera you can assign 50% of blame to Vettel. He's not just taking the corner he's moving onto the exact bit of track that Lance is already on.

Ohhh the fresh video evidence makes you look as wrong as Lewis' haircut.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

No it doesn't? If anything it makes Vettel's chop look even sharper. I'm happy to say Stroll had brainfade but lol if you think Vettel wasn't dumb as hell and responsible for his own downfall.

e: oh it's AgentJotun, disregard this post and continue posting about Lewis' hair and how great Vettel is

I knew a knock on Lewis would get on your nerves, but hey atleast another poster in this thread remembers me.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
That classic tune really needs a 'cmooon Alonso, I thought you were better then this...' added to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Those drivers briefings make F1 look incredibly amateur tbh. The guy who is primarily responsible for the safety of the drivers

1) Has no idea how the belts work
2) Gave Grosjean a tone and look that said 'shut the gently caress up you baby' for what was actually a pretty reasonable question in light of Vettel/Stroll. Ok yes its a bit soft of Grosjean, but Charlie is a fraction to dismisive given his role.
3) The big punishment for Vettels ride with Pepsi (as we call him in my house) bareeely even registered as a slap on the wrist.

Meanwhile races are stopped if there is a drop of water on track, retarded halos are being introduced, and a little wheel bang behind thr safety car is seen as attempted murder.

Also it is indeed edited like The Office.

• Locked thread