Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CratSock posted:

Based on the 2016 number posted, Liberty would basically have to double revenue from $965M to $1.92B, that is IF we are trying to split the revenue evenly among the teams, and match Ferrari's current amount of $192M. Realistically, there are a lot of problems with that idea. It would take probably a decade or more to achieve that growth I'd guess, which would mean Ferrari's $192M by then would actually be worth a lot less. It's in Ferrari's interest not only to retain their special money, but to retain a huge advantage over what the other teams receive to stay ahead of them on track. Their financial advantage is also a shortcut competitive advantage that's probably just as important. Imagine watching the pretty red cars trundling around behind Force Indias, Saubers, and Renaults on a regular basis. The tears would be epic.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm all for it. But being realistic, I think the best we can hope for is a "more equitable" split that would keep the special red babbys ahead of the game, but give the other teams a chance to get competitive at least. Then again, if they did quit it means a lot more money to go around and probably much more competitive racing, so :byewhore:

It wouldn't be difficult to create a tranche system that lets Ferrari (and others) keep their current funding up to a set dollar figure, and then balances the percentages more in favour of smaller teams. Ferrari wouldn't see their revenue decrease, but if Liberty was able to grow F1 revenue, then Ferrari would start seeing lower and lower percentages above specified dollar tiers. It lets them be special and creates room for smaller teams to get better as F1 grows.

It's a widely used financial instrument, so I can't see it causing any legal issues with all the different countries F1 deals with either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptGg-uE8LU

Some early shots of the pit lane setup. Force India is a less bold pink than I thought, much more pastel.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wicka posted:

what the gently caress

I'm going to say that all F1 engines do something like that on a downshift, where they cut fuel to some cylinders to conserve when it's not needed. McLaren is rougher than others, but it's not something that's unusual. The Williams in Barcelona was farting around the track really badly the first week, but they tuned it to be a bit smoother by week 2.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Stroll manages to take out entire free practice session with single crash.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Norns posted:

Kimi just fell asleep lmao

Max vs Kimi part II

I think Max will make it past.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Nearly 10 second gap for seb and Lewis bitching about power.

Excuses for Bottas passing him.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kimi was cruising a bit, I thought Max had the pace, but nope.

Shows the tires can take it, expect drivers and teams to push them harder in future races.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Whats the total on constructors with a 1 + 4 vs a 2 + 3? Ferrari might have hedged Kimi a bit to keep the risk down.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Parc Ferme of awkwardness.

(Thanks for adding that up, Ferrari was absolutely covering the odds on that then)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Carth Dookie posted:

I tell you what, Red Bull must be collectively making GBS threads themselves after this race.

I think they knew it wasn't going to be anything for them. Really sad about Are Dan, but they came in knowing 5+6 was the best they could have done.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jamsque posted:

Bring back cryogenic fuels, that's what I say.

I know I posted about it a few pages ago but bootleg classic F1 on ustream is very relevant to this conversation. Currently showing Brands Hatch 1982, featuring cars with so much ground effect downforce they don't need front wings, the dawn of modern F1 pit stop strategy, and Keke Rosberg's magnificent mustache.

It's Germany 1982 right now (10:30pm Eastern), which has the first showing of the high speed pit stop. Target is 11 seconds, which is stated with some disbelief by Murray.

Typical pit stops are 35+ seconds up to this point. :)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wuffles posted:

This may be the dumbest idea ever, but I'm legitimately curious: would it make any sense to one day look at a system opposite of DRS to allow the cars to better follow in dirty air by increasing drag/downforce on demand? The driver could choose to sacrifice some pace for more stability at key points and/or for a limited time to set up the pass?

Double post here, but it's not the aero kit which is the direct problem, you can slipstream and get a decent tow, the issue is that the hot air from the car in front degrades your tires very quickly, overheats your brakes, and reduces engine power because it has less oxygen and gives less expansion when combusted.

This was present in older races, but tires were much longer lasting and engines were just less sensitive to hot, low oxygen air.

I do wonder if an aero design could be made to push hot air up off the track. Maybe terminating the exhaust above the rear spoiler, to mix it with fresh air and push it up a bit?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

To be honest alot of the issues in recent years was down to the way the Pirelli tyres degraded, how sensitive they were to heat and how unforgiving they were once you overcooked them. That Seb was able follow close enough to push Hamilton into an error is a fairly positive sign given in previous years he would've just backed off to four seconds back to save his own tires.

And to be fair to Pirelli, that's because of the way F1 mandates the tires behave. They want to force pit stops without making a rule for them, so the tires degrade much more quickly than is needed at any given 'hardness' level. It makes for some odd results, like the soft being much stickier in cooler conditions than the ultra soft, and the super soft seemingly being obsolete this year.

There probably are tire compound setups that could reduce the 'following' problem, but I'm betting they'd also last an entire race, leading to no pit stops for most teams.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
BMW needs to come back.

http://i.imgur.com/YW9RInw.gifv

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

Has anyone done a helmet with pictures of people they admire? My helmet would have Lewis on the front, Theresa May and Margareth Thatcher on the sides, Winston Churchill on the back and the queen on the top.

Lewis has had Muhammad Ali and Ayrton Senna pictures on his helmet.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alain Post posted:

Pascal isn't bad but I love me some Our Gio.

This type of skip doesn't bode well for his long term career, though. He'll have to come back and perform noticeably better than Giovinazzi, or he'll turn himself into an also ran and never get another ride. Given Giovinazzi's performance after so few hours in the car, he really has a chance to make a mark in China and Bahrain.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Aaand palmer under investigation for not slowing under yellows.

And he should be. Zero tolerance for drivers who behave in unsafe ways.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorGonzo posted:

wuffles posted:

Tell us more about Gio being the real deal :allears:
*crash in the same Spot two days in a row.

That's basically it for his F1 career, too. It was such an amateur mistake in such a very high profile and very watched appearance that nobody is going to forget he shat the bed. He might appear in an F1 car again, but I'd put long odds against him ever getting prime drive.

I really did hope he would show well, he had a great chance, but turning the wheel and pushing the throttle down on a wet surface with slick tires is something nobody should do after their first year of karting, let alone driving any other race vehicle ever. This is not some unique F1 thing, this is race driving you should have down pat before the start of your first ever race.

So disappointed.

I did think China was a good race. Max made a really good show for himself, and took advantage of every bit of luck that came his way. The whining at the end was really rude though, grosjean was seconds ahead, you don't get to complain about bad airflow when your own teammate was climbing up your rear end at the exact same time without any problems. Ferrari made a strategy gamble that was a good bet at the time, but with the VSC switching to a full safety car right after, they lost out. I don't think anything was wrong with that call. Not pulling Kimi in 10 laps earlier was a mistake, though.

Secret anger statement: Bottas being unable to keep up with Lewis for the one-two, including spinning the car under safety, really shows that Nico was a much better driver than people like to give him credit for, because even if wasn't as good as Lewis, he could keep up when driving an identical car. Suck it Nico haters. :unsmigghh:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wuffles posted:

That's a sweet helmet though. Over the weekend someone (the reverend?) posted about how the FI should be bright pink and I was going to suggest it needed glossy hot pink accents on a flat matte pink field with just a touch of black and white highlights but that was far too many words for phone-posting.

Didn't realize I could have just said to copy Ocon's helmet for the car.

I like the pastel pink, it shows up on camera much better than a hot pink would, I think. It's very noticeable without screaming 'notice me'. :)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Indy Alonso mini-presser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOjb68CjRgs

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gret posted:

"Bottas isn't quite as quick as a driver who will go down as an all time great, therefore he is terrible" -- this thread.

Bottas exists to show us how good Nico was vs Lewis in the same car.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tsaedje posted:

There are non JJoc* rumours that Merc are offering to help Honda out on the down low like they did for Renault a couple of years back

Something tells me Merc is much closer to the limit financially than one would think. They are succeeding, but they are also spending a tremendous amount on their power unit, and have just had to take a paycut from the williams customer team.

It wouldn't surprise me at all for them to sell a package of 2016 engine performance data and future engineering assist to Honda, knowing that it will take time for Honda to absorb the information and that Mercedes will have moved on. Turning any of their F1 R&D into hard cash is probably a real goal for everybody in management.

They are betting a closer Mclaren will be better for them and the sport in the long term than letting the team wither and another engine maker leave. Which is probably true.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

On-par power units or not, a team that's been on full triage since December won't be competitive. There's really no short-term risk at all.

Yeah, Honda has money and Mercedes sees a chance to get a cut with very low risk for themselves. I know I put more detail in my last post, but it comes down to money from a business deal, and any fringe benefits are just that, on the fringe.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nico staring down at the room of awkwardness.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Alonso in talks with Renault. We can hope Palmer gets the bump if that happens.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Renault pictures an F1 future they can also lose at:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/04/renault-imagines-the-grand-prix-car-of-2027/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone gif that ToTo expression? I have a feeling we will be needing it a lot this season.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Vettel crying over his radio at the end of 2010 is one of the funniest moments in recent F1 history.

Too bad this was the start of the Vettelreich.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gigi Galli posted:

Don't know how much this will change things, but interesting move

https://twitter.com/Circuitcat_eng/status/862325966600851456

Didn't these cause the dangerous 'body surf' issue if a car tried to cross them last time we saw them?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Red bull seem a hell of a lot closer with this new chassis, imagine how competitive they would be with a not-shite engine.

Spain isn't an engine power circuit, so they probably still need some extra aero. I have hope for them, though, they clearly know where they are going and what they need to get there.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love to see Haas ask Ferrari for a brake consult, they really seem stuck on this and I wonder if a fresh perspective might help them.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hamilton desperately keeping his hair hidden.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Basticle posted:

Nando should cheer up, could be worse...

http://i.imgur.com/6t5Pc0t.gifv

I told you never to come back here, Mike!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Theophany posted:

Sky just showed how on it Nando's lap was relative to Hamilton and Vettel. Holy poo poo that guy would be dominating in either a Merc or Ferrari.

Both Hamilton and Vettel made mistakes based on the car pushing into a corner too hard (under steer), something I doubt Alonso suffers from in the McLaren.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Sainz is p. good

He's getting a bit over-eager, but showing good performance. :)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hacking made us slow!

Eat a bag of dicks, morons.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Still cannot unsee the messed up left rear tire and winglet placement. They are about two feet further 'forward' on the car than they should be. :/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If it's not going to make things too tall, I'd love a centered gp2 tag.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Alright, everyone who asked for a tag got it. Anyone else?

I asked, but didn't get one. Did it make everything too tall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Yeah, it was too tall :smith:

It's okay, I was right up against the limits when I got this avatar. I was asking in case the rules had changed since then. :unsmith:

• Locked thread