Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Is there a consensus about the graphic options and what settings gives you an advantage (if there is any)?
Specifically I'm wondering about draw distance. Atm I have it on Ultra but I'm wondering if that is even necessary if I just want to spot enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Supposedly the game comes with mouse smoothing as default that can be disable by editing the .ini file by adding a line.

%APPDATA%..\Local\TslGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

Add the following line

bEnableMouseSmoothing=false

Has anyone tried it yet (I'm at work so can't yet)? I have been annoyed by the input delay since the beginning (drat you CS:GO for making anything but the perfect situation comfortable for me). If this changes that I would be awesome.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 6, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Anyone else randomly gotten the sound like you are taking heavy damage without you actually taking any damage (while looting a house alone etc.)? Scared the poo poo out of me several times this game.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Rite Of Massage posted:

this is the power of editing

ps there is a lot of evidence that he cheated in dayz mod and used bhop scripts in csgo so take that as you will (he dmca'd most of the videos and posts about it so i can't pull out the sources)

He 100% did at least use a bhop script in cs:go. The clip Launders got into a fair use fight with Frankie over showed it clear as day.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's probably not as trivial as you think. When I talked to PU he said he wanted the long range shooting to be more like Arma but said it's pretty difficult to get it right.

I also think zero'ing could be difficult to apply (at least for the in optic markings) for scopes for different guns. I don't know if the projectiles are coded to exit in a line out of the scope or slightly below (out of the barrel) either, which could make a difference in how zero'ing works and also when swapping the optic between guns with different ballistics.

I general I think most people compensate too much when shooting with rifles with optics since most of the shots we take probably are of distances between 50-250 m which will require you to aim barely above at the longest.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 18, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I wish grenades and other throwable weapons weren't so goddamn clumsy and slow to use and impossible to actually hit anyone with. Stun grenades especially seem completely useless.

Hey man, stun grenades have a use in duo/squad games which is loving with your teammates

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hang on, here. Is there no spectator mode? After I die is that it and I can't watch the rest of the people play? And I can't see who killed me and from where?

Correct. The only people you can spectate are teammate that are still alive. Pretty sure a spectator mode is meant to be implemented at some point though.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The UMP is great for early game then after killing enough dudes you can usually get pretty geared up and find all the parts you need (aka at least an AR compensator for your M16 with a 4x and ext. quickdraw)

Seems like the m16 might receive a nerf tomorrow. Any of you guys tried it on the test server yet?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

NickBlasta posted:

Maybe the same niche as a rifle suppressor. If you don't find one, you could take an easy shot at the endgame for a kill that doesn't reveal your position.

Yeah I could see it being useful in the last few circles since I assume it's silent (and probably more so than a suppressed weapon) and it would make you feel like Rambo in Rambo III, even though it's not a bow.

rap music posted:

Watched a guy do this last night and got my brains blown out by a silenced AWM when I went to rifle through the dead man's gear. Made it to #4. He didn't even have anything good on him. :(

Lesson learned though, don't get to the top 10 without being done with looting.

If you are looting endgame I feel like you have to be sure what you are looking before you even move to the corpse. Generally I'll just grab the meds at the top unless I'm really looking for a specific thing, e.g., scope for a kar98, ammo if you have none, new vest etc. which can be done really quick.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 20, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Raged posted:

Lesson learned last night. When it's down to you and two other players and the other two are shooting at each other don't kill the one you can see. Wait to see if he kills the other guy then blow him away.

I feel so stupid shooting that guy.

This is my bane. I keep doing this poo poo :negative: So infuriation killing 2 of the last 4 guys alive (including you) just to be instantly domed by the last dude you hadn't seen yet.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Oovee posted:

The patch didnt help at all, still get owned by russians who taunt me on voice.

Ctrl+T is your friend?

Also this patch was awesome for my fps. Getting ~90 in Polyana is amazing

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

NickBlasta posted:

I feel like the thinner spreading of the loot has really slowed down the game. I don't really want to have to loot for three phases to find half the stuff I need, I liked it how it was before where I could loot in the first phase and go.

I agree. Though I feel like a middle ground could be found. I like the part of having almost great gear and having to go hunt and kill a guy to get the rest that you want.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I quite like the 8x on an M16 tbh (used as my long range gun ofc. I will inventory juggle if I don't have a better gun for close combat). It makes it super easy to land 2 very fast head shots.
However, I hate the x2 scope and will use a red dot/holo over it on anything but the sniper rifles (if I don't have x4 or above yet).

Anyone else feel like the SKS have gotten stealth fixed? After this update I have actually managed to use it effectively and might actually use it over an M16 now (the KAR is ofc still king).

I also agree with other poster praising SMGs (especially the UMP). I loving love that thing now at close to mid ranges and will probably pick it over any of the ARs. It has won me a few games now.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Simon Numbers posted:

I didn't look very hard in this thread to see if this has been posted already but the trick to get down super fast is holding down W until it's just above the white part of the bar and then letting go, you'll skip a 3rd of the parachute time and have a lot more speed heading towards the ground.

The vector is also super op at the time of posting this, relatively easy to find a suppressor for and does good things at short-medium range.

Does that parachute thing work at any speed? Generally if I just fly forward first and then dive in the end I can each 230 or whatever the magic number is which lets me kinda of continue falling while the chute is deploying. You are saying that letting go of W will do that for any speed? :)

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Launch options through steam: -sm4 -useallavailablecores -memalloc=system

Is there a difference between -useallavailablecores and -threads 'whatever many threads your CPU is running'?

Also my friend is having trouble with loading houses and poo poo when we are dropping, making early combat a no no when we are duo'ing. Any ideas to improve it for him? He is running some early gen quad core I think (haven't asked), 970, 8g ram and unfortunately no SSD. So I think his system should be able to do it, unless the lack of an SSD is really that big of an issue.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Can't help but just to say I get the same thing and I do have an SSD so I suspect that's not it. It's not quite so bad that I can't fight early game but I do get occasional stutters where my screen will freeze for about a second and if one of those comes at the wrong time then I'm obviously screwed.

My spec:

Core i7 950 (so, early quad core but one of the better ones), 6gb tri-channel RAM, GTX 660, plus a quite recent SSD (so a good and fast one). Everything is a little underpowered except my SSD. I feel like maybe the low amount of RAM is a bit of a factor but it's hard to tell. I run other games like Overwatch just fine.

I can add than I'm running with 8g myself and the game generally runs very smooth so I doubt it's the ram for him (ram speed shouldn't have any effect for application right?). Maybe it really is a CPU issue and we should find a way for the 970 to take more of the load and I guess I'll get him to run hwmonitor to see if it's throttling (maybe the paste is getting old and the cooler could need a reinstalment).

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 1, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, moving my install to my SSD made things a lot smoother all around. Tell your friend to buy one, 120 Gig versions are very cheap and that's enough space for your Windows install and a few of your most played games.

I have been telling him that and it is the next thing he will get when he has the money. Funny thing is, he just formatted his drive too (since his :filez: windows install didn't wanna install the correct visual C++ to run the game). Guess he'll have to do that again (since having an SSD without the windows install being on it is just silly).

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 1, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ahahaha euros are so bad at this

4 squad games, 4 top tens, two of them were wins

I honestly see no reason to ever play on US servers again

-lag armor
-it's like 5 am there so they're sleepy
-their playstyle is insanely dumb, we've ran across multiple fields and been shot at zero times, multiple uncontested military base / novo starts

no wonder it took america to bail these guys out of wars :smuggo: :911:

Love it. Had the exact opposite experience yesterday. Swapped to US from EU (I'm EU btw). Won 2/4 duos and 1/1 squad games.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 2, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah Sacriel is a sperg but I quite like watching BreaK a guy he sometimes plays with. That dude seems to be one of the most down to earth streamers imo and is pretty good at the game. MIght rant a bit about lack of 1pp though, but eh I kinda of share that point of view anyways so meh :shrug:

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Break is on a five game win streak, is very cool and chill, and also is extremely handsome

https://www.twitch.tv/break

only downside is his mancunian accent :3:

This as I said earlier.
I quite like his accent though but I'm EU so what do I know hehe.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Raged posted:

It would be really nice if it was impossible to shoot while inside the blue.

Would it though?

I honestly feel like the speed of the circles is pretty good as it is. In the beginning I felt that the next circles happened a bit too fast in the last few circles but after getting better at the game I don't think more than very minor teaks on the speed and timing is needed.

I do however think maybe the locations of the circles and especially the last few circles (when about 10-15 people are left) could be looked at. Sometimes the terrain is just god awful if you are entering from one side and I think more neutral places could be found. This however must not be predictable at all (so that you can learn exactly where the last circle is going to be) so it might be impossible :ohdear:

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 5, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...MP5 will probably make an appearance based on the weapons package they're licensing.

I think anyone advocating for the FAL just wants people carrying a huge gun that has the recoil of an ACME cannon. Here's hoping they keep the AWM as the biggest rifle and don't cave to CoD idiots who want .50BMG sniper rifles in everything.

I wouldn't say no to an M79 in the sidearm slot as another crate drop weapon, though - so long as they have it keep the minimum arming distance and lose the guide line.

An MP5 would be pretty cool especially because I haven't gotten to use one in CS for a long time hehe.

I completely agree that a 50 BMG is unnecessary and potentially crazy OP with semi-auto and all.
Btw, is the M24 meant to be better than a KAR98? If yes, in terms of what, accuracy? I'm asking because wouldn't the KAR98 with a proper 8mm mauser technically be more powerful?

I think an M79 would be extremely difficult to get right and balance properly.

All in all I quite like the current load out of weapons. Seems to have a good range with a gun for every situation. Maybe make the pistols quicker to pull out so they aren't completely useless after you get any primary?

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 8, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Futuresight posted:

M24 is better than the Kar98 because it has a faster bolt action and thus rate of fire. I think it's literally the same otherwise.

Ahh, that makes sense. Also it takes an extended mag and reloads to full in one go with any number of rounds spend, instead of the KAR98 only using a clip if it's empty right? Pretty cool.

SpaceBanditos posted:

While we are at it.. can we add some bullet punch to the game? Not much, just enough to prevent the guy you are lighting up with a scar from 300 meters out tanking 4-5 body shots while calmly lining up and blasting you in the face for a 1 shot with a kar when you have full health and a level 2 helmet.

On one hand this could be a thing but on the other it is so loving satisfying being the dude with the sniper rifle in this situation.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 8, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Battlefield 4 and 1 (in that order, yep....) had adaptive tick rates, which were amazing.

How does that work?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Thank you :)

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Akion posted:

In my experience, the more geared I am the less likely I am to do well.

This is so true.
However, a couple of times now in duo's my mate was killed very early in the round which normally would mean I just exit and we play a new one but because I had already found awesome gear I decided to have fun with it and run head first into fights to end it quickly but at least have some fun. Instead of dying fast, as I expected, I ended up doing very well. Got a lot of kills and almost won more than one of these.
So I think we have a tendency to play it "safe" when being geared which instead means you get killed by a dude you never even saw (making playing it "safe" not safe), instead of always being on the offensive and leaving a wake of dead bodies and cleared areas behind, making it so very few fights will be a surprise.

Sometimes I end up dying cause I can't resist taking a long range shot on a running target just because you have a sniper and getting the kill would be cool, alerting everyone to our presence.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 9, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

that's really the only way this game should be played.

Makes it a lot of fun

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

This game is fun solo, but I don't think I have the steady hand required to win. I always end up with my hand shaking when aiming even up close, so that I miss half my shots.

The other day I hit a guy coming up the stairs from behind, and he turns around before I get my second shot off and just destroys me with a machine gun. That sort of crap is disheartening. Most of my positive outcomes are a result of sneaking around and mid to long distance engagements. Close up I almost always die, not sure how to remedy that.

I'm going to channel my inner mcvey from the CS thread and tell you to "lower your drat sensitivity!" (it seriously might help).
Also you will get over the getting nervous thing in time. I remember tensing up every time i met an opponent in CS, and always fully committing to a fight even though I didn't get the best engagement, and loving up because of it. Getting over that was one of the things that helped me the most in CS. Of course this game doesn't have many similarities to CS but I feel in this instance it does a little.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Those loving filthy swedes are a bunch of lowlifes :arghfist: We should never have let them have Skåne back. They don't deserve it.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 11, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My system runs best when I crank up anti aliasing to high and everything else to very low and screen scale to 100. Sometimes it seems post processing up to high also helps. I hosed with my nvidia settings for the game specifically as well and got my fps to 60-80 in menus, then it drops to 40-50 pregame lobby and finally down to 30 in game.

How the hell do you get less in game than in the lobby?

Some people say that upping textures will also move some of the load to the GPU. I heard it was like distance + texture high if your GPU is way better than your CPU. It'll probably be different setup to setup anyways so just play around with it.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

No idea and I've spent so many hours messing with different combinations of settings to try and get a stable, decent framerate in game. I believe there was a setting to force the load to the gpu in my nvidia control panel. I see streamer's games look like butter and just assume they have a top of the line brand new system. I'm running a gtx 745 and i7 3770. The beginning of the plane ride is up to 18 fps instead of 12!!!!

I feel like looking at a stream makes it look deceptively smooth. Often I get higher frames than what many of the streams I watch that look smooth af but it can still feel a little funky in game when I play. I get about double the frames "in the wild" compared to at the island on average though.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
There seem to be a lot of difference. The dude I play duo's with can't hear poo poo in his headphones (or he is just deaf). I think the sound is excellent. 1-2 shots and you can tell which way, how far, if he is in a building and weapon class he is using.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

AzureSkys posted:

I wonder what that ping threshold will be. I get quite laggy at times with my super slow internet connection. Wish I could see my latency in game to know what I average.

I wonder if it will just freeze player inputs or if people will bug out in vehicles when they go over the threshold.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Is it possible to get 1 shot with lvl 2 body armor and lvl 2 helmet? I was hiding in a bunker house in the final 10 and someone entered my house, I creeped out the washroom and he turned around to shoot me dead in a single hit. Shotgun perhaps? I wish I caught what it was but it seemed kinda unfair. Good match tho with my friend.

Shotguns can do that but also any sniper rifle (except the SKS) to the head will do that.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

TracerM17 posted:

I feel like I get 1 shot in all the time by SCAR-Ls even when wearing lvl2 gear. I ran into a person in a house and I dumped at least 5 rounds of an UZI into him (saw the blood splatter) within 2 feet of him then I died by "A headshot from a SCAR-L" while dancing around. I have to assume it's a desync issue; Where only my client saw my rounds hit him and he only shooting me once, but maybe server side he killed me with a burst before I got any rounds off.

The SCAR won't one shot you but you won't hear all the shots enemies do when they go full auto so he might have hit you with 3-5 rounds while you only heard one bang. Also the desync could make it look funky of course.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 15, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I got frustrated just watching this.

I've had a dude lag out/disconnect so he ended up running in a straight line and couldn't be killed. Seems to be what is happening here. That phenomenon is not really new in games though but one could argue that it's important that they are dropped instantly in a game such as pubg.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I've never seen a game handle disconnected players like PUBG and it's really bizarre.

e: I wonder if they want to handle rejoining so that's why your character doesn't disappear from the world but it's only half-finished

That's what I figured. Like they server is giving the player the benefit of the doubt to see if it was just a small outage in your connection (seems to be the way some MMO's do it).
I don't see how they could add a rejoining feature in a game mode like this though. I don't see an elegant way of doing it without it possibly being a bit exploitable.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I run with the gas mask and a jacket with the fur collar since it's a funny look but also since it might make my outline look a bit less like a human head and shoulders.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Deviant posted:

STOP SAYING THIS

Come on now...

Futuresight posted:

The real reason you should pass it up is because it doesn't protect your face and gives less capacity than leaving your afro uncovered.

I thought it was funny.

To talk about something else. Has anyone found the trick and likes the SKS? Is it just inherently inaccurate or do you have to shoot slowly or something other than aiming low which seems to help a bit... sometimes. I'm always a bit conflicted when I see one and I'm using an AKM/m16 as my long range. Picked one up recently and got a few good kills with it but I just don't know if it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Is there any obvious fix (other than getting a new graphics card + processor) to fix the issue where buildings don't load for a while after dropping in? I usually have to stay still for 30 secs to a minute before anything happens. I'm running a 660 GTX and my view distance is on medium, if that helps.

My friend is getting that issue and has some luck with opening the inventory screen just as his chute deploys (sounds weird I know). Doesn't always work but sometimes it does. He is running a 970 same as me btw so I don't think it's a GPU thing in and of it self.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 16, 2017

• Locked thread