Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

SealHammer posted:

except that it does???

higher interp values mean people with higher ping always have a pronounced peeking advantage over you. this is also the case with trading rounds as far as I know -- the server sides with the higher-ping player within that interp window.

e: this is like netcode 101

High ping is never an advantage in CS:GO, neither when holding an angle NOR peeking. Even though while peeking with high ping it would seem that you get an advantage you don't due to the interpolation. You don't however get a disadvantage either. For example in an awp vs awp situation, If you didn't beat the other player it could still look like you got your shot off on you end but it won't register since you were already dead according to the server.
There was a great video showing this but I can't seem to find it.

However, I have no clue if PUBG's netcode allows for a high ping advantage when peeking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Zo posted:

it's not an advantage when peeking at a guy looking right at you, but if you catch somebody off guard, you get to put a couple more shots into them before they can react on your screen, and all those shots count even though they ran behind a wall after the first shot on their screen. that's pretty huge since it happens all the time in pubg.

everybody else can do the same to you of course so it's not an absolute advantage.

PUBG using client side hit detection probably makes this worse.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Zo posted:

most shooters use client side hit detection, and pubg would be unplayable with server side hit detection

cs:go uses hitscan weapons at close range with very few players, low pings and way higher tick rate, and still bullets will disappear on a regular basis due to server/client desync

edit: you're correct in that high ping advantage is basically not existent in server side hit detection games like cs:go though

Makes sense. I never really thought about the differences in server side vs client side and how it would play out in different types of games.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

daslog posted:

I've got the first 2 already covered, but I think the 3d printed arms might work. I tend to play very aggressive and that doesn't seem to work in PUBG and my parachutes were really bad last night.

Aggressive is fine if you do it right, especially in very early game in high action areas. Get a gun -> shoot people. Parachuting well is entirely up to you. Fly straight first and then dive when you approx 300 m out and hope to achieve that magic number of 234km/h. Use the w wiggle for added precision after the chute has deployed.
That said, your fps is pretty bad and is for sure making things more difficult. You had a new computer on the way? Otherwhise you can OC that 2500k to something like 4.3Ghz fairly easily.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

God this arm aim poo poo sucks to get used to. Should I just gradually lower my sensitivity so it's not as sudden?

I would honestly say to just go for it. Got a big rear end mousepad (approx. 18x18 inch)? If the answer is yes, then maybe you have to change your seating position. I have my arm positioned so my elbow is just off the edge of the table while the rest of my forearm is just resting on the table. You might have to raise or lower your chair so the position is neutral when you just lay your arm on the table. Try not to have your arms too far away to the side from you body and also try to have them more or less equidistant from your body so you are not sitting crooked. This could mean that your keyboard is slightly in the way if you have a huge one. If that is the case you can tilt it a bit like this https://i.imgur.com/ljmAkkR.jpg (don't pay any attention to this guys tiny mousepad).

Also remember there is no one true best sensitivity so you might end up being comfortable with a slightly higher or lower sensitivity than a baseline of for example 50 in game, 6/11 windows, 400dpi. I'd say play a few games with a sense and adjust according to what feels comfortable to you. Don't be afraid of playing around with it slightly. Muscle memory is not that big of a factor in my opinion and especially not in a game like this where your fps isn't constant.
It's a trade off of slightly more cumbersome looting for more accuracy and you have to find the right balance for you.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 13, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was playing earlier today and I shot a guy off the back of a buggy, the driver left him. Ran up to him to execute him and he crawled towards me. I said hi to him, and he said “take my stuff and kill people,” so that’s what I did. I have to remember to unmute local comms more often.

Does it still open your mic with voice detection enabled instead of push to talk? I'd love to have it on during the game but gently caress having to change the setting every time I unmute after getting out of the plane.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Has anyone tried to use that banana program and comparing it to using the windows loudness equalization. Too me it looks like you can use it as a limiter that only caps the top end and leaves the low end alone. This would be different from the windows option which moves everything towards the middle. This could mean that your sound "depth perception" would be left intact and ambient should stay ambient, since it only compresses the sound over a certain threshold. But I'm no sound engineer so I could be wrong.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

The blue zone should be a physical barrier. That way if you can't find a car you just get pushed to the new circle anyways. Also the blue circle will move you so fast at times that you will take damage from colliding into buildings and trees.

:psyduck:

e: Would be funny how everyone scooped up on the far side of an eccentric closing circle would be pushed towards the furthest away point on the circle due to the difference in closing speed across the circle.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 24, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

The Mash posted:

My friends and I played a game yesterday that featured the luckiest circles I've ever had. We started in Yasnaya and the first circle was around Mylta/Prison, so Yasnaya was just about out. We got in a car and drove to the tiny compound with a blue house and a shed located just north-east of the big blue warehouse near Prison, and took up residence there. It's quite an easy place to hold, both in first and third person (this was FPP). It's got walls in appropriate heights on all four sides but with spaces to shoot out, and it has relatively clear view of incoming enemies from every angle.

So, we holed up there about 8-10 minutes into the round, expecting to be able to camp out there for a circle or two. 20 minutes later, I take one step out of the compound for the first time since entering, to shoot the last guy trying to approach our tiny fortress of death. In those 20 minutes I got 10 kills off people trying to get in/near, and infinite supplies off those guys. We were short a proper sniper rifler, but at one point, the plane dropped a crate with an M24 inside the walls of the compound, where it snuggly fit between the wall and the solitary little house.

I was embarrassed to win that round, to be honest.

Bet you'd feel a lot worse if you hadn't won that though.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Xenaero posted:

Are there some fog tricks? I think I was on the receiving end of something that let people see through fog clearer.

Teammates telling me that they're dead center in my screen, get fuckin blasted without seeing a shape. I guess it's possible they were prone.

I good fog tip is to try to avoid your silhouette being visible against the sky and try to be in spots where you in turn can spot the enemies silhouette against the sky. This means stay on low ground instead of high ground and at least move a bit down the front of a hill instead of peeking from behind it. You spot people at like 3 times the distance if you can see them against the sky vs you looking down in to a valley or something.

About general visibility I'm not sure since I also suspect that my team mates might be able to see a bit better in the fog than me. Maybe turn the brightness down a bit since mine is generally very high and I suspect it might be the culprit. I haven't tested it yet though.

Concerning SCAR vs M4. I'll take either but generally swap for the SCAR if possible since I feel like all the games where my spray has been godlike has been with the SCAR (I never tap with my close range gun at distance below approx. 75 m). This could of course very well be a case of confirmation bias, but if it gives me confidence due to that why not.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 25, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Had a squad game yesterday where we trekked a fair bit off the plane route to loot in Novo. When we were done we moved to the circle north of the bridge but never heard or saw anyone and noticed that very few were left in the game relative to how far the round had progressed. When 6 where left (beside us) we spotted the first enemy who proceeded to kill the 3 of us in less than a second. That was a very boring game since the cheater had wiped almost everyone but us. Guess I will keep an eye on the killfeed so we can leave games like these before run around alone for 20 minutes.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

daslog posted:

I think these patch notes explain a lot

I downloaded a 2 Gig patch for these changes, which means it's at least 100,000 lines of code to adjust the Blue DOT damage.

It's not 2 gigs extra or 2 gigs of new code. Most of it is just you downloading the same files again where a small thing might have changed.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I fear for the vaulting update. Of course the movement mechanics are pretty rough poo poo in certain areas at the moment but it gives a certain sense of you navigating the terrain, not just you skating across and up surfaces with a few animations covering the transitions which the vaulting might bring.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Oh poo poo, had forgotten about that game. Animation cancelling heaven that was, albeit fairly RSI inducing.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

The vast majority of people playing this don’t know what h1z1 is. I don’t.

That doesn't necessarily invalidate his point though.

Personally I would have zero interest in a BR game where the "gunplay" doesn't have significant depth and is a big part of the gameplay. However, I don't think that mil-sim-sperg necessarily is the only way to make interesting and difficult to master "gunplay" in a BR game. I believe a thing that is difficult to get right is the long range engagements that you get in a BR, where hitscan mechanics would be OP and unfun. Currently we introduce bullet travel and bullet drop (tried and true) to "nerf" the guns, which still leaves the them fun. That doesn't mean it is the only way though. We just have to think outside the box if we want an arcady version. Who says long range irl guns needs to play a big part and not, stealth, traps, melee, vehicles, defensive abilities, temporary powerups, different classes, whathaveya.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 30, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

loving sweet with the Stranger Things theme, very topical.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
It sucks that not even 1% of the player base needs to cheat before it's a huge problem where a cheater will be in a majority of games (if we assume running in to a cheater is equally likely across all game modes, regions, etc.). Looking at CS:GO as a reference I believe that it is very likely that far more than 1% will eventually be (probably already are) cheaters.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Hanger ons? Lol. J9 was a pro cs player for a while wasn't he. And I think Chad's shrouds real life friend since he's over at his house pretty often.

J9 was a minor pro at best but has been playing CS with shroud since forever.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Goffer posted:

7am to 3pm seems like a poor time to stream.

I think it's to also tap in to the EU crowd. I have never caught him streaming due to his current schedule for instance.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

I assumed 400 was his dpi, but I still don’t know his game or windows sensitivity. That’s why we need a physical measure of distance.

Or you know, the other two pieces of info.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Le0 posted:

What is the culprit on my setup? GTX 970, Core i5, 16GB RAM game installed on SDD but I do not get optimal FPS.
Everything on very low but draw distance on ultra and texture on medium. Anyone with a similar setup? Any options I can tweak or something?

What does optimal FPS mean to you? My setup is very close to yours (depending on which i5 CPU) and my FPS is okay'ish (has dropped a bunch during the latest anti cheat update) and only under certain conditions drops below 60.
I run texture and AA on ultra, draw on low. Everything else very low I believe. I play full screen. 1080p.
Make sure your screen scale is at 100 exactly. If you have messed with the slider before check it in the .ini file since the slider doesn't show decimals.
Make sure the .ini file has your native resolution as default.
My Nvidia settings are Vsync off, optimized for single display, prefer max power, threaded optimization on, (1) max pre-rendered frames.
I have turned steam overlay off in pubg
Checked the "override high DPI scaling behaviour" in the .exe compatibility option.
Make sure your RAM are on the XMP profile (done it bios).

But yea, the game has been running worse and worse for me with every patch.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 23, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

abigserve posted:

What's weird is the guys that obviously toggle on, I always thought that was a myth but no it's alive and well. We downed some guy who was assaulting our house in squads, and we had a really good fight going, one of his mates gets him up aaaand next thing he's speeding around at like 10x movement speed poppin off headshots

how insecure do you have to be to do poo poo like that honestly

Toggling is very real in FPS games and is done for several reason. In CS:GO it could be to make it more difficult for people to spot you are cheating, to turn the game if you are losing or to out cheat a cheater (sometimes the 2nd guy doesn't even cheat but since they generally suck without cheats they can't understand how somebody is just good at the game).
In PUBG I have heard of people toggling speed hacks to loot fast and stuff like that.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Soarer posted:

In the heat of the moment I didn't even really catch it at the start where he zips left after downing my team mate. Near the end where he zips left really fast while crouched behind the bush was what made me double take and bookmark the recording.

Honestly that just looks like server jank to me. Caused by poo poo servers and possibly a bad connection making the server interpolation/prediction spaz out when he changes directions.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I can't decide on the AK. One game it's the best non-crate full auto gun and the next I can't hit poo poo with it. It's also annoying having to carry around a lot of 7.62 unless your long range gun is also 7.62.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Do squad kill cams show the guy who knocked you or the guy who finished you?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Anyone else having lovely luck with shotguns lately? Me and my buddy had a guy take 6 shots without dying. My buddy hit him once fairly close with the over under and I hit him the rest with the pump where two of the shot were lined up well. Most of my shots where from fairly far away (for a shotgun) but still it seemed ridiculous.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

HardKase posted:

Hey guys, how do i fix my potato aim? I am a terrible shot. I have lowered my sensitivity. Is it just a case of practice? I need to try and shoot more dudes?

Lower it more! Make sure you don't have mouse acceleration on (enhanced pointer precision in windows).
Shooting more dudes will for sure help in the long run. However, if I try and focus on improving a specific part of my aiming/gameplay each game, e.g. don't keep holding mouse1 if the spray isn't on point, I tend to improve faster.
A few things that might help you shoot some dudes.

- Crosshair position. Try to pre-aim where you think/know a dude is. This way you won't have to move your mouse so much when it's time to shoot. Get the crosshair up before it's time to shoot.
- If you don't get a good engagement (crosshair right on the dude when you peek), disengage and try again if possible (this means you have to be in a position where this is possible, which is a tip in it self).
- You don't have to commit to all fights. If you think you can disengage and fall back to a better position that can be a good option.
- Don't keep holding M1 if you hosed up the spray. Let go and try again, even mid fight.
- At long distances don't stand still too long if they are shooting back. Especially if they have a bolt action sniper. One shot->move a tiny bit/move behind cover->one shot. If you get a good engagement and can "out dps" him so to speak, by all means go for it though.

Don't end up playing too passive though and at some point you have to commit to a fight if you want to win it.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 8, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Do people recommend lowering sensitivity from the default?
I don't know if it's my mouse or something about my having trained extensively at Quake II with super-high sensitivity in my youth, but I found the default sens to be waaaay too low. If I can't make a 180 without lifting the mouse, it's too low.

Of course, this all changes based on your mouse's DPI, the size of your mouse pad, etc.

My point is, your settings are not necessarily to blame since the default is plenty low already. You'll have to do target practice on a particular sensitivity and get good. I recommend playing CS:GO in Arms Race mode where you get to shoot a lot, aim maps are boring. Then make sure your sens in PUBG feels roughtly equivalent to whatever works in CS.

Your sensitivity is already way lower than what the gen pub is using. I agree that being able to do a 180 without lifting the mouse is about right. However, most people would probably be able to do several spins without lifting, hence people recommending lowering your sensitivity.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying. On my PC, the default mouse sensitivity in PUBG when I installed it was at 50% which was so low I had to raise it to around 80% in order to be able to play. Is my PC weird?

(If your assumption is that most noobs will raise it to 100%, so you advise everyone to lower it, then I see but then don't say "always lower it", be more specific like "never go above 75%" or something.)

What I'm saying is that your mouse seem to be 400 dpi default, while most people probably have it at 1600 or higher or the windows sens turned up, making the 50% in game a way higher sens that yours.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 8, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
New maps looks to be a crazy improvement when it comes to optimization.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Le0 posted:

I suck rear end at this game but I never saw any obvious hackers on EU. Never saw any speed hack and I have only one encounter that smelled fishy.

In about 600 hrs I have only encountered 2 definite cheaters and the last one was a while ago, EU squads and duos. It's very hard to say for certain without being able to spectate people though and I have seen some fishy stuff but not enough to convict. Kill cam will for sure help but needs to be less janky.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 13, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Jekub posted:

Not sure if this was a desync issue or what but I suspect the owner of this bolt was pretty pissed off when I didn't die. Or take any damage whatsoever.

I did have to spend the next five minutes after we finished murdering him and his buddy with it lodged in my throat mind.

I've seen some funky poo poo concerning this on the test server where hits show blood but doesn't seem to do any damage. Yesterday I hit a dude who was running 4 times with an m16 which means he should be close to death. He went prone but I could still see his legs and rear end and I hit him an additional 6'ish times, after which he got up and kept running. Me and my buddy both saw blood with each hit. Anyone else experienced similar? Seems like the test servers have really really bad hit reg. Even worse than live.

Also it seems at the plants shown to the right in this image has been made as a solid object and you can't shoot between the branches, or a least some of them.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 14, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Magres posted:

Yeah I kinda agree, I feel if this game had proper matchmaking then I would get put in games with other people who are total potatoes like me

Have you considered that you might be a rare strain of super potato?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I think the ironic rear end in a top hat attitude here ran him off

He is too good for us.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

daslog posted:

If you play solos (or even squads maybe) then it's worth dropping at the water treatment plant. I tried in this morning after watching this video and I came away with a plethora of Assault and Sniper rifles to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxiONZazM8

I'm gonna try this for sure. Seems nutty, at least on solos and duos. Now we just gotta erase all evidence of this video.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
That's some old school trolling right there.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Alright I bought it. Is there a discord thread I haven't found because I haven't looked for it?

2nd line of the OP buddy.

Anyways for me the last big/huge hurdle before the game becomes officially great (although I already love it) is the netcode/tickrate/hitreg stuff. Right now it's simply sub par. 10-20 tick + general jankiness must not be acceptable for blueballs and I hope that they are working on it (they most likely are). The huge interest in the game and them having to play catch up with the servers can't have been easy either.

New vehicle physics are great. Just did a pressure flip in the bus/hippy van. GOTY.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair to the early game jankiness, it's better than it was. I started playing the first day of early access before the game exploded and it wasn't that bad, but it got much worse once it turned into the must play GOTY. The first few patches after that it was dogshit, and so far in 1.0 it seems to be a tenth of what it was just a few months ago.

If this was a AAA game and cost $60 I'd feel ripped off, but for what it started out as and for $30 I feel like the game is well worth it.

Oh, there is no doubt about the game being worth it imo. Everyone should get it. The pros for outweigh the cons. One can dream about 128 tick servers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Just checked out TSM_aimPR's stream and he is doing detailed running commentary on everything he does and why which is really insightful and I think new as well as seasoned players can learn a lot from watching him play. He is chill and good at the game to boot.

• Locked thread