Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I can't believe that this game replicates the godawful thumping EBM that KICKED IN WITH THE DROP every time you fought an enemy in System Shock 2. I remember when I first heard it and laughing out loud because it completely ruined the game's (up until then) subtle horror atmosphere. Thank god you can turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I've been working in marketing/advertising for a couple years now and I can say with 100% confidence that "familiarity or knowledge of the product" is not at all valued by your average marketing type.

Learning that fact has made things like the Bethesda DOOM videos make a lot more sense.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm pretty sure I've spent the past five hours searching for an ending that might not even exist in this game. Can someone who's completed it help me out?

I'm at the endgame and have the choice of blowing up the station or using Alex's plans to subdue the Typhon. I discovered a TranScribe recorded by Morgan that seems to reveal the existence of a third operator called "October" and a third ending - a unique Nullwave device that will kill every Typhon but leave the station intact. Morgan says the fabrication plan is on the data tower next to the "scary chair - you'll know where it is." I don't know where it is and I've searched everywhere on the station. Any hints?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

Regarding the October stuff: I think that's a recording Alex has, either on their person or in their hideout. The hiding place it mentions is the exact same place the arming key is supposed to be hidden. Most likely it's Morgan's go-to hiding place but they keep forgetting they've used it before, and Alex knows about it already.

October itself is hooked up to the computer in your apartment in Crew Quarters i think.

Appreciate yalls help, but man I think I'm even more confused :(

Regarding the arming key - Alex just gives you the arming key, it's not hidden anywhere. Do you mean the escape pod key that was hidden under the lamp in Alex's room? Morgan's secret nullwave device can't be hidden there, I searched everywhere in that area. Is there another hiding place that appears if you somehow don't get the key from Alex?.

Palpek posted:

Hmm the unique Nullwave device that will kill every Typhon but leave the station intact IS Alex's plan to subdue the Typhon so if you just follow his objectives you'll get it. However, I haven't found that transcribe mentioning October.

The transcribe reveals that Alex actually WANTS you to blow up the station and remove all evidence of his misdoings. Morgan seems to be talking about a different Nullwave device than Alex is - Alex's device will preserve the Typhon research while Morgan's will destroy it entirely.

Finding this one transcribe has completely changed the game for me and there's almost zero information available online. I almost feel like it's a glitch or an old version of the story or something. Really cool game, been a while since I've actually felt a sense of mystery.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 18, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Palpek posted:

At the very end there's a direct confrontation between Alex and January about blowing up the station vs using the Nullwave and Alex is 100% in favor of using the Nullwave, weird. I haven't listened to that transcribe though and the device was in fact developen by Morgan so maybe the audio comes from a time when Alex didn't support it yet?

The transcribe appears to reveal that Alex (who has been manipulating and lying to you the whole game) is in fact also manipulating you about his desired outcome (for reasons unknown), so I suppose that confrontation isn't too surprising. Clearly there's layers to this poo poo though.

I'll post the transcribe audio in the thread so you can hear for yourself when I get back to my PC, it frustratingly has not been posted online anywhere yet that I can tell.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I see what you're saying but it just doesn't all add up. I think that's more to do with the game being vague, having a minor plot hole or something being hidden than your analysis being flawed.

Alex's goal is to preserve the Typhon so he can continue his evil (but in his opinion, justified) experiments. Everything he says implies that activating the Nullwave device he gives you will subdue and defeat the Typhon, but won't destroy them. If you saved Doctor Igwe, he confirms this as well. Remember that all the Neuromods are Typhons - why would Alex ask you to save his life's work and research and then give you the plans to a device that would destroy it all? That's why Mikhaila (if you saved her) passionately argues for you to blow up the station - it's the only way to actually kill the Typhon instead of preserving and trying to control them (again).

The October Transcribe seems to reveal a third option: kill the Typhon for real but also keep the station intact. I'm not sure why that matters so much since Talos is really just a floating pile of metal without the Typhon experiments, but I guess it would be cleaner and you'd save the lives of the unconscious crew members who couldn't make it to the escape shuttle.

Also it's really weird they would introduce two mysterious "directors" (January and December) and imply the existence of a third (October) but not actually put that character in the game. I felt like I had cracked a major code when I found that transcribe but it's looking more and more like a dangling thread.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's not really dangling. Alex's plan and October's plan are one-to-one congruent. October's plan is also congruent with one version of Morgan's (From the Morgan Transcribe). The big things that October is cementing is 1. Alex's plan is actually something that came from Morgan; 2. Morgan's personality shifts from repeated neuromod extraction. Each operator was created by a different version of Morgan. There are many other elements in the game which point to Morgan actually being the one pushing for more brutal and exploitative Typhon research, and Alex is just trying to honor the wishes of what seems to be the "real" Morgan in his eyes

Last bit from me on this, since I don't wanna hijack the thread with walls of blacktext and I probably should do more exploration on my own. Appreciate your perspective!

How are they congruent? They have totally different outcomes, which seems to be the main choice of the endgame: Destroy the Typhon and end the threat, or Preserve the Typhon and save the technology. Alex, Igwe, and Mikhaila clearly state that Alex's Nullwave device won't destroy the Typhon - only defeat and subdue them so Talos can be saved and the Neuromods preserved. The October Transcribe has Morgan claim that Morgan's Nullwave device actually will destroy the Typhon for good (which necessitates destroying the Neuromods, since a huge reveal in the game is that ALL neuromods are created from Typhons).

If you're saying that Alex's Nullwave device really will destroy all the Typhons and Neuromods, then what the hell kind of choice are you actually making in the endgame? That would make it come down to Destroy the Typhons vs. Destroy the Typhons (and keep a half-destroyed hunk of space metal intact). That's not really much of a choice...

n4 posted:

October is in the game. he/she is connected to Morgans computer in the crew quarters

Weird, I completely missed it. Guess I've got some backtracking to do.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Palpek posted:

No, you're wrong about that. Destroying Typhon doesn't mean destroying the technology. The research, devices, weapons and neuromod technology will stay on the station after using the Nullwave. They could always search for more Typhon elsewhere because the station is not the only place where it exists. However when they blow up the station the entire research based on Typhon will be gone and that's what Alex wants to avoid.

Okay last one from me for real. The game's plot is really interesting and I want to untangle it.

It doesn't make any sense that you can destroy the Typhon and simultaneously preserve the Neuromods. The Neuromods are MADE of Typhons (which is a very significant "holy poo poo" moment that gets completely defanged if what you're saying is true) and that's why Mikhaila is freaking out at the end about you using the nullwave device - if you preserve the technology, you risk the Typhons escaping containment again. It's the only way to be sure! Are ya'll just convinced she's wrong and the Nullwave device is actually a totally safe 100% guaranteed Typhon killer? Is there any evidence in the game to confirm that? Even Alex and Dr. Igwe act unsure (the technology is experimental), and all their dialogue seems to imply the Nullwave defeats rather than outright destroys.

Besides, it's obvious that Alex and Igwe don't want to destroy the Typhon completely - they want them back in containment so they can continue doing Neuromod experiments as usual. If they're pushing you to use the nullwave, it follows that they aren't pushing you to eradicate the Typhon.

Mymla posted:

What is slightly strange to me is the notion that blowing up the station is somehow a more sure way to kill every typhon than using a device that specifically targets typhon.[/spoiler]

See, my take explains this. The nullwave doesn't eliminate the Typhon, it only defeats them. Blowing it up is the only way to be sure the threat is actually eliminated. If you save both Igwe and Mikhaila, they actually debate this fairly explicitly in front of the player. Igwe admits he doesn't know what the results of the Nullwave will even be, he just hopes it will be enough to stop them for now. .

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Just completed it. Best FPS I've played since like....Half Life 2 maybe? It's the game I wanted Bioshock, Deus Ex: HR, and Dishonored to all be.

I just wish the difficulties were a little bit better balanced. Making the Level 3 Neuromods cost a lot more would have helped - the first 50% of the game was amazingly tense and I never felt powerful but by the last 1/3rd I was an unstoppable death god - combat focus 3 and fully upgraded shotgun made the game feel more like DOOM than System Shock.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Vishass posted:

Love this game while also rolling my eyes once a night when I am forced to revisit a previously cleared area filled with harder enemies, my turrets were all magically broken, and the game hard crashes.

The hard crashes really suck. But I loved how the game world was constantly changing so that no place was ever "cleared" and safe. Instead of methodically cleaning out rooms and sterilizing everything in typical "videogame" way, it actually felt like the Typhon were a constantly expanding threat that could never be defeated with combat alone.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Really though, if the devs are actually reading this, I want a new weapon DLC. Please for the love of god. This game was like 9/10 near perfect except for the fact I barely ever deviated my combat setup. I want a longer range weapon that isn't the QBeam. Fix up that Disc Launcher people found in the files and actually release it. It doesn't even need the cool quest it had. Just give me something else to play with.

Co-signing this. You find almost all of the weapons within the first 20% of the game, the pacing feels really off in a game that is otherwise so on point. Could have easily used 2 or 3 more weapons - something long range like you said and maybe another source of electrical damage besides the piddly little stun gun.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

dex_sda posted:

I just found Avellone wrote for this game. How good is the writing? I'm considering buying this without waiting for a sale if it's as good as Avellone's output usually is.

Very good (especially emails and the primary antagonist) but IMHO, a little sparse. You're going to want more of it.

If you're on the fence, I'd say "buy". It's the most interesting thing Avellone's done since Planescape. On par with New Vegas if not better.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Kurzon posted:

What I don't get is why Arkane Studios decided to name this game Prey instead of something original to distinguish it from the 2006 Prey. Why not "Psychoshock"? Not only would gamers not have confused this game with the 2006 one, they would have twigged that this was like Bioshock and System Shock 2. I myself was (pleasantly) astonished. I bought this game expecting a Doom clone but got System Shock 3. I read that Arkane was in fact working on a sequel to 2006-Prey to have been called Prey 2 but scrapped it when they realized they would rather do System Shock 3 instead. But why keep the title?

Arkane didn't name the game. Bethesda did.

It's obvious to me that after Prey 2 went off the rails, Bethesda snatched the IP back from Human Head and told Arkane to fix it. Instead of fixing the alien bounty hunter game, Arkane said "Aliens? Space? Hm....we might be able to use this whole "prey" thing as cover to make the game we really want to make." They kept the name because somewhere a Bethesda executive has a big folder with "Prey Project" written on it and if you change the name, the project is a failure. Keeping the name the same lets the executives save face...even if the finished project has zero connection to the initial development.

IMHO, we're very lucky that Arkane hijacked the Prey IP to make System Shock 3, which is clearly the game they've always been dreaming of making.

edit: wow, horribly beaten

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 24, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think that's fair enough because even though there's no actual gameplay in this trailer, the world does look cool. On the other hand, it also doesn't look like a Prey sequel.

They actually did put out a decent gameplay demo. It also doesn't look like a Prey sequel anymore than Prey (2017) did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkHZfjK5z4

That kind of game would have been a lot more interesting before the Ubisoft open world explosion.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Anyone want to spoiler the hidden achievements? I've got 7 I haven't picked up.

Now I want DLC.

Me too, but I have no idea what they could do. The story was entirely self-contained, I've explored every single inch of Talos 1, and any new environment they could create would have to be way smaller (and thus way less interesting imho) than the main game's.

I guess a tower defense style game with turrets and mimics could be fun.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Nightmare would have been better as a human-sized enemy that can follow you everywhere. Make it completely unfair, if it spots you then you're either dead or you have to find some way to kill it before it kills you. If you can't animate it following you through vents then make it throw stuff or create fire in vents until you leave. Have it follow you through doors, make it super hard to hide from after it finds you.

I think all it did was shoot slow blobs at you, I had over 90 exotic cubes towards the end of the game because I just farmed them.

I'm sure there are programming concerns and it's harder than it seems, but this really confused me. Arkane figured out how to make the Phantoms teleport but couldn't give that technology to their big Nemesis enemy that's supposed to follow you everywhere? They save the state for every tiny detail in the game regardless of area transition but couldn't let the Nightmare go through doors? Very weird.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I was expecting a special forces unit a la Half Life. But that would've involved a whole bunch of new AI work and animations.

I swear I could feel the budget running out at this point. You know they wanted to introduce a whole new enemy type. Instead we didn't even get a pallet swap.

It still worked because the lasers were actually dangerous and finding ways to shut down their respawners was a fun new mechanic.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

According to people with actual numbers, despite making the NPD top 10 -- sadly but predictably -- Prey sold poorly.

My feeling is that we have seen the last of the AAA immersive sim. The dissolution of Irrational, Square Enix putting Deus Ex on ice, poor sales for Arkane...all the signs are there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any at all until Consortium: The Tower drops in 2018.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Palpek posted:

There are 2 System Shocks in active development by different studios at this very moment.

Which is great, but neither of them are AAA so it doesn't contradict what I'm saying? I'd bet big that SS3 will drop after The Tower - if you're fiending for immersive sims, that's going to be your next hit.

Mzbundifund posted:

Nah, the way office politics work, eventually someone charismatic who likes that sort of game will schmooze their way to be head of the appropriate team and will greenlight another one. People said turn-based tactics was dead too and then we got new XCOM and the genre blew open again.

I hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that anytime soon. It was almost 20 years before XCOM got resurrected.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It is not a throwaway line. The mystery of not knowing the full implications of installing Typhon mods makes the game a lot more fun, IMHO. Follow your instincts and you'll have a rewarding experience no matter what your decision is.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I do wonder what this means for Arkane. Bethesda probably has too much invested in them to shutdown at this point. Assuming they're not allowed to work on another uncertain project, I could see them transitioning to bigger worlds, working on the sort of sure bet things Bethesda itself does. Theoretically, there's a common underlying design ethos between games like Prey and New Vegas. I love Arkane's meticulously crafted and dense level work, but I can't deny being excited at the prospect of an Arkane lead Fallout, or Skyrim with a kick action.

Dishonored (especially the sequel) was already walking the line between "Superhero action game" and "immersive sim."

My guess is they'll just be quietly pushed over the edge to where they're exclusively making superpowered FPS games. Probably with literal superheroes, since it seems like Marvel/DC money is one of the few sources left for securing a AAA budget.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

myDad posted:

This game looks tight, didn't realize it was made by Arkane until today so I ordered a copy.

The first one a few years ago left a bad taste in my mouth, but those devs are top-notch!

this_is_why_prey_sold_poorly.txt

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

axeil posted:

Even if the guy did his exploding attack instead of me getting the final shot in?

Aw dang :smith:

Hey buddy, nobody said the virtuous life was going to be easy.

The Bioshock vs. Prey derail has made me realize (gasp) that people value different things from video games. It's very shocking, I know. Here's one thing I value from Prey that I couldn't ever find in a game like Bioshock, or really 99% of all games.

Just for kicks on an otherwise murder-free playthrough, I saved my game and shotgunned Alex in the face at the first chance I got. Immediately all hell broke loving loose. Giant tentacles appeared in the sky. The gravity disappeared and the world reoriented. Chaos loving reigned. I hate to use a cliche, but I finally got the whole "Lovecraftian" thing when that thing came out of nowhere.

I sat back in my chair stunned, since I had no idea that all I had really done was trigger the Apex animation appearance. I couldn't understand what the hell was going on. For the first time since I was like 15 and playing Deux Ex (Icarus Found You!!! Run While You Can!!!), a game had actually surprised me. It was amazing.

And that's why Prey is officially objective better than Bioshock and if you think otherwise you're a bad person. :colbert:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

You can't radio earth because Transtar shut down external comms and locked everything up at the first sign of trouble so no one would find out about their evil space science. Come on people, this is evil corporation 101-level stuff. :colbert:

aniviron posted:

Someone mentions that external comms are down, don't remember if it's an audio log or what, but there's been no way to radio off the station since the start of the incident. What puzzled me more was how the board knew to send Dahl even though comms were down.

Comms aren't actually "down", they're just shut off because It's A Cover Up. The Yu parents know exactly what's going on and specifically sent Dahl to murder their children and eliminate the Typhon, the game is pretty explicit about this.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I really liked fighting them and the backstory and "lore" does bring up some interesting questions but functionally the Typhon are 100% cliched movie monsters. You see them, they try to kill you. No more "inscrutable" than the enemies from Doom.

A truly inscrutable enemy would do things like sometimes not attack you, or maybe even heal you, or weirder things. I'd love to see that in a videogame someday.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Just wanted to remark on how much I enjoy the changing environments and escalation of danger in this game. It really feels like the station is coming apart and the sense of "gently caress, there aren't enough bullets on the station to shoot my way out of this" is crucial for maintaining the later-game tension.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Fast travel would have killed the incredible sense of place on Talos deader than dead. Nothing ruins immersion faster than teleporting everywhere.

I thought the EVA solution was brilliant.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I agree with that poster that a story thread/layer was removed from the game, and the vagaries surrounding October and the "all neuromods are made of Typhons!!" revelation (that gets introduced and then mostly forgotten) are the slightly-awkward leftovers from.

I also think that's why we get those terrible one-line "endings". The simulation/"you are a typhon" thing clearly seems to have been ready for a while, but the three flavors of generic self-destruct sequence feels hacked in at the 11th hour.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

aniviron posted:

With Colantonio out of Arkane, I think we'll be lucky to get any more games like Dishonored or Prey from them at all, let alone DLC.

And after he left, Arkane straight up said they were done making immersive sims and they were moving towards regular action games.

Other than the System Shock remakes/sequel (I have zero hope Warren Spector can still make good games), our best shot at a decent immersive sim is Consortium: The Tower. I honestly don't think we'll see a "AAA" immersive sim ever again.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm going to need a quote on that, because this sounds like bullshit.

i think you're a real jackass for calling me a liar, but it's true. it came straight from the mouth of Harvey Smith. it's part of a much larger interview so the sentiment is broken up over several quotes, but at one point he says it directly: no more immersive sims because the audience doesn't like them. just "action games with brains":

quote:

“I think we’ll continue to adapt to the audience, because what people want drives the budgets,” Smith explains. “Audience taste and the market drives a lot of the feature-set and people have to adapt. That said, I think there are ways to bring the values of the immersive sim into the new world. So it will always exist, in my opinion, with the values being absorbed by different games.”

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Oh sweet Jesus think I'll just replay dishonored instead. That looks and sounds awful.

Don't judge by the look and sound. The people behind the Consortium games have terrible eyes for art direction but the first Consortium was legit one of the most interesting immersive sims ever made. They've gotten closer to Spector's "One City Block" concept than anyone else ever has. The Tower looks cool - I mean, has there ever been a game where you can yell at the dudes shooting at you and maybe make them stop? Or drop your weapon and surrender?

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 24, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The game just gives you a pretty bad vibe about the idea of taking on Typhon traits. I was like 'that is not going to end well'.

I loved this element of mystery in the game and it would have hugely diminished my experience to have it spoiled. There were times when I was tempted to take Typhon powers in order to make a challenge effortless, but I always steadied my hand: "No. That's the easy, inhuman way. Who knows what could happen?"

Doesn't knowing the outcome of a risky choice lessen its impact? I'm continually surprised at how many goons jump in the thread to ask about the outcome of Typhon powers, when the game makes it clear that the player is not supposed to know at this point in the story. Otoh, I know a lot of gamers are more about min-maxing while I'm more about roleplay, so I guess its just different strokes.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 30, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

buglord posted:

Imposter Cook is probably my favorite just because hes sounds really unnerving. Good guy or not i'd feel immediately uncomfortable sharing any sort of confined space with him, even if I was loaded up with neuromods.

Also when is Prey 2/Prey story DLC, because god i cannot get over how well designed this game is. I've been watching a friend play it for the first time and I envy that blank slate experience hes having.

It breaks my heart to tell you this but the game sold really poorly, the lead designer and creative force for the game left the studio to "spend more time with his family" immediately after release, and the studio boss said they were going in a different direction for future games.

Prey was the best game I've played in 5 years and I don't think we'll ever get more. :(

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The marketing was godawful because they absolutely failed at messaging that this game was motherfucking System Shock 3!

Publications like Rock Paper Shotgun, who should have been going crazy with pre-release coverage over the triumphant return of their favorite genre, were like "So here's a pre-rendered trailer for some mediocre-looking action shooter".

Also I remember a lot of gamers being vocally upset that Bethesda treated the original Prey 2 developers badly, therefore they punished Arkane in order to balance the scales.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's obviously false. Literally their first post about the game makes it clear it's an immersive sim in the legacy of the Looking Glass games. Later they posted about how you can turn into a cup and their main preview of the game was all about how it's like Deus Ex. Literally at no point did they treat the game like a mediocre-looking action shooter.

Okay yup you're right, it must have been some other PC gaming site/blog I'm thinking of that was underselling the coverage. RPS did a great job of covering it.

Either way I don't think its exactly controversial that the positioning and marketing of this game was hella botched :shrug:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It was so, SO much fun to throw a turret into the zero G environments and watch it go spinning wildly about while killing all of those irritating puffball typhons.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

echronorian posted:

Does this game ever get a little easier

Even on the hardest difficulty you become very powerful by 50% completion and an unstoppable god by 75% completion.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Jesus christ, it sold horribly. Nier outsold it by 100k, that's crazy.

It is really heartwarming that basically everyone who plays it comes in this thread and goes "wow this game is freaking good" though. Cult hit I guess.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

aniviron posted:

I would be okay if there were a much more negative consequence to installing alien mods to justify all the warnings, or if the warnings were tempered by a different character telling you conflicting information saying no it's fine, or something; but the way it is now you're warned off the mods for no real consequence later.

IMHO the designers intended there to be a strong risk/reward mechanic and themes of "becoming an alien/inhuman" with that choice but its sketched out rather than really explored. My guess is they had to cut possible branching paths or endings based on taking the powers.

Personally I really liked it. I was constantly tempted to take the Typhon powers but I was scared about turning myself into a gross alien so I didn't do it. The tension was cool and helped me anticipate a replay when I would use them. I realize I'm an edge case though.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Does anyone else get the sense that Dahl's Military operator assault was supposed to feature actual new scary enemies instead of a palette-swapped version of the same nonthreatening robot you've been dealing with the whole game? I loved the game but that sequence felt a little funny and cheap. I think they ran out of budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah I assumed there would have been human enemies but they'd require new and entirely different AI routines. You can fight humans now, of course, but they're generally fish in a barrel (even Dahl himself). What we get is far more logically consistent with the story as told (If you sent humans to eliminate all witnesses then you'd have to deal with those humans, who are now witnesses themselves, robots are more versatile / thorough, and while they can be dominated they can't be used to birth new mimics)

I dunno, it seriously took me out of the story to think that an elite killer mercenary on earth used the same exact robot as a bunch of scientists/doctors on a space station. It would be like strapping a machine gun and wheels onto a fridge. Robots make sense, but operators should have been a Talos only thing.. It made the world feel really "small". I'm just nitpicking though.