Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Didn't the first chapter have a page of some mysterious boy facing off Boruto in the ruins of the village?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
So once again the Springtime of Youth spinoff adaptation we'll eventually get will be the best part of the series, got it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Oh great they're introducing Sarada with a 'battle of the sexes' episode next time. With the nuanced gender politics Naruto has shown so far I'm sure this will go down just fine :suicide:

Also there's been a severe lack of Cho Cho, the best character. That said I'm liking Metal Lee, the second best.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

The fact that there is no Sasuke-like character to drag things down (yet at least) is a major plus yes. So far I actually like this series better than Shippuden and am interested in seeing where things go from here (hopefully things won't go completly off the rails as we get further in though). I hope Sarada doesn't eventually fall into the usual Uchiha trap of doing something insanely stupid later on though (or at the very least I hope she ends up being more like her uncle than her dad).

She's the daughter of Sasuke Uchiha and someone who willingly married and had a child with Sasuke Uchiha. She hasn't got a chance.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Boruto's class president (I forget her name but she's exclusive to this series) and Choji ended up marrying some Cloud ninja whose name I also forget (I don't think the two characters ever interacted with each other once in the entire series actually, even in anime filler).

I think it's Sumire? And the Cloud Ninja was Karui.

Unrelated, but I hope the 'let's just bomb this poo poo' girl shows up more, she seems fun.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

CharlestheHammer posted:

No silly he didn't try and kill me, just used eye magic to make me think he did

No no he did try to kill me before, when he asked me to kill the red headed woman in that picture to prove my loyalty.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Umbreon posted:

Did they seriously not reveal who Rock Lee had a kid with? He was literally the only one I cared about in terms of who paired up with who

A Lee is never born, they just appear and the previous Lee instinctively begins to train them.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
We can scratch 'killed his brother' off the list, it was more like a 'forced to assist in his brother's needlessly traumatizing long-term suicide plot'. Like Itachi explicitly wanted Sasuke to kill him so he could return to the village as the hero who killed Itachi.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, that conversation stated that he didn't carry them because he didn't have the opportunity to charge them. hence the messenger birds. but my point is, sasuke easily could have stayed in touch with his family even if he was intent on staying away so that the village wouldn't turn against them. he never did because he doesn't care about sakura and salad and likely has another family somewhere.

He uses lightning style jutsu too, it would be trivial to use himself as a battery.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
It's not like anything short of a prison built out of Naruto clones would be able to keep Sasuke imprisoned anywhere anyway.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Blockhouse posted:

also sai taking ino's last name is super cute

:kimchi:

Apparently Chocho's super popular. Which is true and good, because she's by far the best kid.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Salad is two train wrecks miraculously forming a functional being, just like sodium and chlorine.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The thing I don't get it that once again nobody actually corrects Salad on Karin not being her biological mother. The DNA results were the last thing she saw, remember? As far as she's concerned she's happily adopted.

(Also what was the Ino thing about? Surely Sakura and Ino hang out enough for her to not be weirded out by her knowing Sasuke, and Salad knows she's a happily married woman. What has Sakura told her.)

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Oh, well, so much for that nice 'bonds > blood' moral meaning anything then.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Didn't Zabuza kill his whole class too?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Salad posted:

When's Sasuke coming back, he's the best character in the show

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
"He threatened to stab me in the face with a screwdriver but I think he's a good guy!"

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
They had to force the Ino-Shika-Cho connection somehow. And at least Ino and Sai tried to give him a name; Ino's own parents clearly didn't bother.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Silver2195 posted:

Didn't some of the Uchihas not have Sharingan at all? Plus Shisui was already dead, and Itachi's parents and girlfriend sort of accepted their fates.

Itachi had a girlfriend? :psyduck:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Nah, that's Himawari's job.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

seiferguy posted:

My honest feeling is that Rock Lee is an orphan, with his parents possibly killed in the 9 tails attack. When he's hospitalized after Gaara nearly kills him, no one shows up. The fact that he looks up to Might Gai like a dad seems to validate this.

IIRC there's a flashback to when they first met although I don't know if it's anime only or not - Gai takes him on as a student after being inspired by his desire to keep training without chakra.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I think I caught Sasuke and Sarada in the crowd at one point - I wonder if they get their own episode? The english dub's close to hitting that first arc about deadbeat dadsuke too so that should be fun.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Sodium and chlorine make salt, it makes a little sense.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Is it still the same voice actors playing the original Naruto characters (as is the case in the Japanese version) or did they switch some of them up?

Same VAs as far as I can tell aside from adult Konohamaru, although Naruto's VA feels like she's lost a bit of energy.

They were just ending the Gaiden arc and are about to start the Mist arc, last I checked. Sarada's dub VA is very good imo.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Flytrap posted:

Suigetsu was testing Sarada's DNA against her own umbilical cord.

Because he's a dumbass.

To be fair it's not weird to assume the umbilical cord your coworker keeps in a little box in her desk belongs to said coworker.

What's even weirder is that he knew it was even there, although I guess watercooler chat in Orochimaru's lair is pretty out there.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, not sure why it took so long but they finally finished dubbing the rest of Shippuden fairly recently.

Speaking of dubs, who voices Sarada in the English version of Boruto? She sounds really familiar to me.

They started releasing the Boruto dub before finishing Shippuden, along with The Last, so that must've been confusing for dub anime only people who probably exist somewhere.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Was the Shippuden dub even still being aired on TV during the last chunk of its run or was it just online only by then?

I remember it being aired by Disney XD for a little while, don't know if it still is though.

There's not a lot of anime on TV anymore huh...

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

On another note, how much formerly anime-exclusive content eventually wound up being adapted into the main canon? Off the top of my head we’ve got: Raiga, that Sand Village girl who had a crush on Gaara, the Uchiha Cats, and I believe one of the novels referenced Blood Prison. Also the design and names of Sakura’s parents came straight from Kishimoto himself, he just never wound up using them in the manga.

I'm pretty sure the Uchiha cats were in the manga first, just before Sasuke fought Itachi. They popped up in the anime a second time for a much later filler episode that went back pre-Shippuden to give Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke (and Itachi) fuzzy cat ears for some reason.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Blockhouse posted:

Kashin just got cast for the anime and it sure isn't Jiraiya's voice actor

In both dub and sub, Obito had two different VAs - one for when he was Tobi/Obito, and Madara's actual VA for when he was pretending to be Madara. Wouldn't be hard to have pre and post reveal VAs.

IIRC in Obito's first appearance as a kid, he also had a different VA to Tobi.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 21, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I was a 'Tobi isn't Obito' person because I thought it was too stupid a twist. So now I'm all in on Jiraiya.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Actually given how much it popped up in Shippuden's anime filler/that one movie I've decided that they've decided to canonise alternative timelines in the manga in Boruto so this is the Jiraiya from that other timeline where everyone's personalities got flipped so he's the evil one in the Tsu/Ji/Oro trio (or Orochimaru is the only good Sannin in that timeline for true opposite day shenanigans) and he decided it'd be fun to check out the other timeline.

It's valid.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I like Bonds, mostly because of how much it features Sasuke's amazing cowboy theme. Also the 'Zero-tails' which is just :allears:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

Wasn't another theme of original Naruto the new generation surpassing the old? They could just be saying that again.

It got kind of undermined by all the olds coming back to kick significantly more rear end than everyone who wasn't Naruto and Sasuke, multiple times.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Sasuke is talented AND works hard though, even as early as the first couple chapters Kakashi comments that he knows jutsus he shouldn't typically know at his age. In a flashback we see baby Sasuke burning his face training to master the fireball jutsu for his dad.

Plus, anything he learned after the clan died outside of the school standards would've been self-taught and he still made it to the top of the class. Given the official shinobi method for dealing with orphans was 'eh they'll be fine all alone', we can assume nobody was teaching or tutoring him, just like nobody taught Naruto.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

Besides having to live through the initiation did the curse mark actually have a downside?

It nerfed Sasuke during his preliminary match against that one Sound guy, and makes you really ugly when it's in full swing. Plus Orochimaru can casually reincarnate himself through it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There was also the plot hook that Naruto would change the system that created Haku and Zabuza, which lends itself well to the idea that maybe there would be a moment where Naruto has to look as his dream of being Hokage and ask if that's what he really wants to do, if it means perpetuating this system. Also him challenging the system, the backlash that results, and perhaps a 'Team 7 escapes from the village' arc instead of a Sasuke Retrieval arc.

Instead it turns into weird almost-fash 'The Village is Everything' poo poo, with genocide survivor Sasuke learning that it was for the best his clan was genocided because they were genetically doomed to evil anyway, or Neji dying for no reason for the main house after all but it's okay because he chose to die and it was so noble of him, rather than confront the reality that the village allowed the Hyuugas to enslave their own.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Darth TNT posted:

Everything about Itachi is awesome. I'm still reading along on the Mangaplus daily release and he's just really well handled. It's unfortunate that Sasuka is a bit unhinged.

I mean that's literally all Itachi's fault though. Sasuke was doing pretty great until he popped up - even Orochimaru was concerned that the curse seal wouldn't take because Naruto had such a strong influence on him.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I don't think I'm ever going to get over how much Orochimaru's been softened up in Boruto :psyduck: Like of all the villain characters, Orochimaru is the one who gets to be the weird frenemy?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Orochimaru was killed twice already by Sasuke and then Itachi and didn't die. He can't be killed in a way that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought you were gonna say that, out of three Sannin, the immortal snake demon having a child is the most OOC one.

gently caress, it's another way Orochimaru and Voldemort are similar.

Orochimaru's probably one of the better parents of the series, or at least better than Hiashi was to Hinata.