Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
There's a lot of interesting subtleties going on here that I like. It's clear that the spider-bots are designed based on the machines' records of Beepy's final form from the picture book, and Ro-Shi's statement that the machines will soar through the sky implies that at least a certain amount of the network wishes to repeat that event (I have a feeling the tower's purpose may be related to that). However, the androids lack any sort of knowledge of Mega-Beepy. This makes sense, the machine lifeforms share knowledge instantly over their network (given how Earth has been their turf this whole time, it's likely that even with those immediately nearby getting disconnected mid-way through the scene, they were able to figure out the rest of what went down since they have eyes everywhere), while androids have to deliberately upload their memories (which, by the way, I haven't seen anyone point this out, but this means that one of the biggest differences between androids and machine lifeforms is that machine lifeforms have auto-save), and since all androids present peaced out with Beepy, there was nobody left to spread the word (actually, even if there were, those in command could just purge their memories since they're not a hive mind).

Also, when Ro-Shi asks "Why do you live? Why do we exist?" I think this is more a direct indictment of 9S' worldview up to this point. I think that Ro-Shi isn't asking after the meaning of existence or whatever, but is rather asking why 9S defines androids as "living" (in this case, meaning having agency, inherent worth, and so on) and machine lifeforms as just "existing" ("there's no meaning to anything they do").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

...! posted:

A couple of people seem to be confused about Beepy. Beepy wasn't a machine lifeform; he and the friends he took into space were robots created by humans.

Except on his way out, he encountered a bunch of machine lifeforms and androids that were fighting, and he made them all self-aware, becoming a god figure to the machines (as mentioned during Route B and explained by Id's subsequent post). Granted, the affected androids may not have peaced off into space with Beepy, and may have just been silenced in some other fashion by the higher-ups in the android heirarchy, but one way or another (and more to my point), Beepy had a lasting influence on machine culture due to their hive mind broadcasting the information immediately, while the same information was never disseminated among the other androids during their software updates, underscoring the fundamental differences between the two as well as the narrative importance of the whole "NO AUTOSAVE" thing (i.e., the instant storage of memories that autosave would represent is something that machine lifeforms do and androids don't).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh dear. I can't help but imagine that there's a :yokotaro: surprise inside, akin to this.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

He says the YorHa server is a lie because it like all of YorHa was made to self destruct.

Iirc we don't ever get a reason for why. I'm assuming the plan was either to start a new YorHa after every X years or humanity thought a solution would be found.

Or this was all humanity's last middle finger salute to the machines/aliens.

The way I interpreted it when I was catching up on the LP over the past few days (so everything is still fresh in my mind), is YoRHa is (was) the only remaining group that knows the truth about humanity at any level, and is the only group in regular contact with the "humans" on the moon. Therefore, by destroying YoRHa, you both eliminate all knowledge of the truth, as well as any ability to contact the "Council of Humanity" (the androids on the moon will be taken care of indefinitely by their regular shipments of water and empty crates, which are likely automated at this point). The intended result, given other information available, is to prevent a relapse of the initial despondency androids felt over the extinction of humanity, and ensure they continue to feel a sense of purpose in perpetuity.

Given that not even the commander was involved in the SS-level stuff and all the other androids are supposed to be in the dark, one can theorize that the androids behind this plot are, in fact, the very androids that are on the moon sending out "Council of Humanity" broadcasts, or else they found some other way to eliminate their own knowledge of the truth (I mean, they could just hide and keep the secret, but given the lengths they went to, it stands to reason they want their knowledge completely out of circulation, through either isolation or death).

By the way, this actually kind of mirrors Nier's plot in a way. Basically, a semi-automated system was designed to ensure the survival of a species (androids kept from falling into despair by creating and then destroying YoRHa to prevent the Terrible Secret of Space from ever getting out vs. the Gestalt System), which failed because it didn't account for the raw determination of a crazy person (9S vs. Nier). The only question now is whether or not 9S will completely follow in Nier's footsteps and end up revealing the Terrible Secret of Space to the other androids, thus ensuring their eventual demise from hopelessness, the way Nier murdering the gently caress outta the Shadowlord doomed humanity and the replicants.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Crigit posted:

Was there any evidence that there are androids on the moon base? I thought the server was autonomous and just sends vague automatic broadcasts, and the occasional message crafted by android high command, which is on earth, and the shipments were just part of the deception. The yorha project was a propaganda effort, in addition to being a test bed for the machine-core powered android models. With the bunker gone and all of yorha save 9s dead and their data lost, only the android resistance leadership know that humans are extinct.

The fake shipments included real water, which was established as the only form of "sustenance" required by androids (to run their fusion reactors). This implies that there were still androids there that needed it. I forget what else was on the manifest, but suffice it to say, the station is very likely manned. It makes sense, because someone would need to be there to maintain the various databases, and automated messages couldn't adapt to changing situations as easily as actual agents, no matter how many contingencies were included. And where did you get the idea that the android resistance leaders know that humans are extinct? I haven't seen anything that says that.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

The manifests were mostly empty space, most likely to keep a skeleton crew of androids running. If humans were really there, they'd be sending food and protein powder instead of pure water.

That's what I was saying, though? :shrug:

When I said "manned" I was referring to androids, not men made of meat parts.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Huh, I was actually expecting Ending C to be the 9S ending, rather than A2. For one thing, claiming poo poo is meaningless was kind of 9S' whole thing so the ending's title (previously displayed after Route B) fit, and since C is the lower letter, it's clearly further away from the true ending, and I thought siding with the logic virus-infected murderous crazyshorts would result in a "less true" ending. Though, Id did say 9S was the actual main character all along, I guess it turns out that wasn't a joke.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

9S as the project's only survivor does have a certain elegance to it. The member of YoRHa with the MOST resources devoted to his death is the one who doesn't die. Science suggests he probably did it so much he built up an immunity.

Except 9S' survival means that the YoRHa Project categorically failed, unless he suffers severe memory loss. The entire project was intended to hide the truth about what happened to humanity, so having someone out there capable of spreading the information is the exact scenario the higher-ups didn't want. If anything, the YoRHa Project backfired spectacularly, because the only person outside of the secret android leaders that knows the truth also now hates them and will probably spread the truth just to spite them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

FailAtMagic posted:

Yes 9S is alive, but all the machines are dead so the androids don't need a reason to fight anymore.

A. There's no confirmation on that, all that's known is that the machines' network appears to have been wrecked.

B. It was never about a reason to fight, it was about a reason to live. The androids became despondent as soon as it looked like humans were going extinct, according to one of the archive files, and telling them the humans really just went to a farm upstate the moon is what kept them from completely giving up on life.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Andyzero posted:

So basically this leaves Jackass to rally the remaining survivors and create a new society.

So what you're saying is that Nier: Automata was a stealth prequel to Crash Test Dummies all along.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

You know, it just occurred to me, the game keeps making you listen to the end credits, each time in a different language, which would naturally make you pay more attention. That sort of thing would be pretty solid preparation if, say, the game was planning to make you engage in a rhythm battle over that same track. :tinfoil:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Earlier in the thread, somebody theorized that the true enemy would turn out to somehow still be humans, just like the first Nier. And in a way, they were right on the money. This fuckin' game.

:yokotaro:

By the way, I do love how the game gives a massive middle finger to all things related to the concept of achievements. Easily one of the top ten worst aspects of the industry.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

All joking aside, I'm curious where else Nier can go after this. My guess is the next game is going to jump ahead to a sort of Megaman Legends* future where the androids and remaining machine lifeforms eventually merge into one race that's also partly organic due to research into the databases on the moon, and then horrible poo poo happens where attempts to resurrect humanity end up creating monsters that turn out to be the Grotesqueries (aka cannibal space babies) which are then sent to Drakengard world's past the same way Maso particles were in Nier's backstory.

*For those unfamiliar, the Reploids from the Megaman X series and humans wound up becoming the same species, which is why so many characters looked partly robotic and why nobody bats an eye at the kid with the arm cannon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bufuman posted:

I would classify myself as one of those Serious Business guys that dislikes the idea of just buying trophies, even ones that are more of a pain in the rear end than any quest has a right to be. You either earn that poo poo legitimately or you go without. That's why they're called trophies and achievements. And yes, there are games that I don't think I'll ever platinum because of one or two trophies, like FF9 (gently caress jump-roping), FFX-2 (gently caress Gunner's Gauntlet) or Kingdom Hearts 1.5 (gently caress every single gummi ship level 3 mission!), and I still wouldn't just up and buy those trophies.

But that's just me. If other people really want to make their e-penis bigger and harder but just don't have the time or patience to manage it the intended way, then by all means hop on that poo poo. To each their own.

This is why buyable achievements are the best feature in Nier: Automata.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

So is there any connection between the Machine Lifeforms and the Watchers? We see hints of connections (Eve's tattoo, N2 in general), but Jackass's notes don't make any mention of any ties besides the stuff from Project Gestalt.

That's what I was kinda thinking with my theory about a potential Nier 3 earlier. Like, what if the remnants of humanity and the Gestalt Project become the Watchers (aka the Grotesqueries aka cannibal space babies)?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

If it's any sort of consolation or comfort, quality LPs like your old Drakenier stuff are the main thing that got me to register on SA, which has definitely been a net positive in my life (for instance, the excellent laptop I'm posting with was bought based on recommendations from SH/SC), and I really respect that you made a public apology completely unprompted. Sometimes it looks like everything's just going to hell and nobody cares, but gestures like that remind me that, despite the prevalence of high-visibility assholes, the majority of people are actually pretty decent folks. So, thanks, both for the LPs, and just for being (or trying to be, if you'd prefer) a good guy.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I know some goons eventually formed somethingsensitive, a truly terrible place. Did goons also create or mass-exodus over to 4chan at some point?

As I recall, 4chan was created as an offshoot of ADTRW around the time SA started implementing concrete rules of conduct, by people who didn't like the idea of having to regulate their behavior.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

It looks like there's a spoiler for the game in that list, if I interpreted his commentary correctly. Just as a warning to anyone else planning to click through the link. Just skip his entry for Undertale to avoid it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

...! posted:

Sorry but Chrono Cross is a Bad Game. It's even more disappointing for a Chrono Trigger fan.

Outside of the kinda dopey story, I didn't see what was wrong with it, it was reasonably competent, and I personally quite enjoyed the off-the-wall character designs. After playing it myself, I concurred with Id's summation in the OP of his Let's Play of it, that it's a fun enough game if you can look past the iffy-at-best story and how much better Chrono Trigger was. That said, probably won't play it again given that the things I liked most about it were done far better by Suikoden II.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I want more RPGs where you get a bunch of dumb gimmicky rear end in a top hat characters at every single town to be in your party

Admittedly LISA did it way better, but Chrono Trigger did it first

Suikoden had two installments out before Chrono Cross was released. If you think forty-five is a lot of dudes for your party, try upwards of seventy out of 108 recruits, and also they find ways to keep the benchwarmers relevant.

Also Suikoden is much like the works of Yoko Taro in that there are two really good installments, two installments that are mostly good but with significant flaws, and one that's pretty much terrible but so irrelevant to the rest of the franchise that it can be safely ignored. Yeah, that should cover it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

...! posted:

3 is a horrible game that some people really like for some reason. It's terrible for several reasons. The most important reason is that the battle system is terrible and unfun. Other reasons? The first half of the game consists of playing through the exact same content THREE TIMES but with three different main characters and very slight story differences each time. Then you hit the game's midpoint and get hit with possibly the worst plot twist of all time. One gigantic wet fart. It's an extreme anticlimax, completely invalidates everything you did in the first half, and just ruins the plot of the entire game in general. I have never seen any plot twist do that in ANY kind of media before, not just video games.

I'm gonna have to disagree vehemently, much as I'd rather not further derail the thread. 3's battle system was flawed, but it was still enjoyable and I appreciated the way it tried doing some new things. Going through the same areas was fine in SaGa Frontier and it's fine is Suikoden 3, because the story being told was compelling (though trying to recruit some people as early as possible was rough, with all the backtracking). I'm not even sure what you mean about your previous efforts being invalidated with the big twist, if you play Thomas' chapters (the best chapters), you see exactly what resulted from your actions up to that point, the answer being "made the entire second half of the game possible". If anything, the second half wound up feeling too short and abrupt due to the combined length of the previous storylines, you simply weren't given enough time to appreciate your army. It also gave much stronger characterization to a larger number of characters due to having so many different teams, though this had the cost of rendering most of the other Stars of Destiny largely irrelevant. 3 also had the best war battle system in the series, that required you to actually train up a lot of otherwise unused characters, though there were precious few battles. And there was the theater, a minigame to rival cooking battles for the best minigame in the franchise. It's a game that tried a lot of new stuff, and not all of it worked perfectly, but I appreciated the risk-taking.

As for 5, the worst strategy battle system in the franchise (4's were laughably easy but the underlying mechanics were adequate), generally poor minigame offerings, plus a random encounter rate second only to 4 and long load times, make it hard to say it's strictly better than 3. It plays things a lot safer than 3, but only manages to be a little better (credit where it's due, the formation system was great), and I can't say I like it more, because at least 3 lets you put on plays.

2 is loving evergreen, though, I'll agree with you on that completely. And I'll say that 1's big issue was being pretty short and low on content, but that made it a nice little snack of a game that didn't require a huge time investment, which I liked. I actually played through the whole franchise this year (yes, even 4, with a cheat code to toggle random encounters), and I'm glad I finally did. Never had any Sony consoles growing up, so now and then I try to get familiar with RPGs I didn't get a chance to play.

Like Drakengard! I mean, okay, probably not going to play Drankengard myself since Id sacrificed so much to do it for us, but I could.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The last one was actually on the DS, but it's best to forget it even exists. Konami used it to test the waters, it bombed because it was awful and that's why I doubt the series will ever continue.

Actually the most recent was Japan-only and on the PSP, but it's basically all the same mistakes as the DS one (replacing everything good about Suikoden with basically a generic RPG that just has too many characters, making us circle back to the start of this derail because that just means it's ultimately really lovely Chrono Cross) so it doesn't matter.

Of course, Konami, being Konami, did revisit the original series. As a pachinko machine. And I poo poo you not, it's based on Suikoden IV.

gently caress Konami.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Leraika posted:

thanks for letting us know

Watching Konami shoot itself in the foot is kind of bittersweet. On the one hand, gently caress Konami, on the other, Ys, Castlevania, and Suikoden.

Yeah, it's easy to forget because they haven't made any prominent entries in any of their big series besides Metal Gear in ages, but they own an absolute boatload of classic IPs. Gradius (and Parodius!), Contra, Silent Hill, Tokimeki Memorial (of which there's an ongoing mega-LP that paints it in a pretty positive light, actually), Bemani, Zone of the Enders, plus a bunch they got from Hudsonsoft (including Bomberman and Bloody Roar).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

Everyone trots out that "THEY LEFT GAMES AND HAD TO SCRAMBLE BACK" chestnut but it's bullshit... They just stopped making the stuff you, personally, care about. Bemani never quit, continuing yearly releases, including a new worldwide rollout of DDR with online for the first time outside of Asia and IIDX on PC. Bomberman was a Switch launch title with a shitload of post-launch support. Their mobile/fitness divisions kept going unabated. PES hasn't missed a beat and has been broadening its market. There are multiple licensed titles... I could go on.

BUT none of that is... I'm not even sure what license people would be crowing about. More Castlevania? You got a loving dire anime in the meantime. So on, so forth.

I'll grant that much, I think part of it is that sports and rhythm titles tend to be more periphery genres as concern the sort of people who bitch about specific publishers on the internet, and the Bomberman thing was extremely recent, quite possibly a response to the failure of their attempt to pivot to gambling. And, I listed a good half-dozen franchises besides Castlevania they could be producing more of. A new Silent Hill or actual Suikoden (instead of the stripped-down nothings they cranked out the last two times) would be really nice, but a major studio releasing a shooter like Contra or Gradius would also be a great change of pace (I imagine asking for a new Parodius would be going too far, much as I'd want it). One might claim that's unreasonable, but they used to be able to hit all their major franchises at least once per console generation up through the PS2 era.

Speaking of publishers pulling themselves out of a bit of a quality slump, it's pretty great to see Square-Enix getting their act together with stuff like Nier: Automata, FFXV, and those oldschool-style games they've put on the Switch. The Switch stuff especially feels like a strong reminder of why everyone loved them in the first place.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

What's most funny to me about all the dunking on 9S is that I live in an area where it's extremely hot most of the year, so I'm the shorts boy. People can make fun, but when it's 112 out, you learn to appreciate shorts.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

...! posted:

So you're saying we need to start dunking on you, Shorts Boy? ;)

Been there, done that, it's surprisingly hard to feel owned while watching the other person slowly sweating to death in their heavy jeans.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Out in the desert you either need a pair of pants to switch to as soon as the sun goes down, or a strong cold resistance. I went for the latter back when I lived there, my legs stayed warm by hauling my fat rear end around.

Being originally from Boston, the cold nights were rarely a problem for me. Of course, back in college, my insistence on shorts almost all year round backfired spectacularly on an especially cold day in February during which there was a bit of sleet that turned to freezing rain, right when I needed to trek clear across campus to get to my next class. :suicide:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I kinda want to see a game by Yoko Taro with his wife's art style. I mean, yes, the whole "super cute stuff in super disturbing situations" shtick has been done to death, but if anyone can breathe some new life into it, it's :yokotaro:.

Oh man thinking of the juxtaposition of cute and disturbing, I kinda want to see Yoko Taro helm a Kirby game. Kirby loves to play around with final bosses and secret bosses that are pretty creepy (by kid standards, at least), pushing the envelope all the way to Yoko Taro's level would definitely be something to see. Plus the Kirby series loves shoot-em-ups almost as much as he does.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

So Emil's most powerful attack is against the player, then. Seriously, that audio distortion physically hurt.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The difference between Kingdom Hearts and Drakenier is that when the convoluted, confusing plot of a Drakenier game is laid out in logical order and explained in simple terms, it gets easier to understand. Seriously, I knew less about the narrative of Kingdom Hearts after reading a comprehensive summary of the franchise in in-universe chronological order.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

A chance meeting between a Square employee and a Disney employee in an elevator at a building they shared in Japan. Square was wanting to develop a new action IP and just needed a marketable character, and Disney had a couple they could spare.

Actually, Disney was already what they wanted. Basically, there was a pitch meeting at Square to make a new game with full 3D movement to rival Super Mario 64, but someone off-handedly said that you'd need Disney characters to get the same level of brand recognition as Mario, Nomura overheard, volunteered to direct, then one of the guys in the original conversation got the above-mentioned chance to make a literal elevator pitch, and the rest is history.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'd prefer Caim, but he acts like a normal KH character, but there are occasional close-ups where you can see the pain in his eyes as he desperately struggles against the shackles placed upon him by the writers. But that might be too high-concept for Square.

Also Sora gets a Hymir's Finger Keyblade.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

MadBimber posted:

yo is this remake good? never played the original and was gonna pick it up

You tell me.

https://twitter.com/JQWeeaboo/status/961094685644218368

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mazed posted:

Read the Xenogears LP. It's wonderful.

Anyway, having actually hurled myself at the level 99 gambler's coliseum, I can imagine that someone out there beat it legit. Some people are just that "good" at video games, that they'll actually spend that much time developing the sheer muscle memory necessary to handle an hour's worth of one-hit-kill bullshit. Emphasis on bullshit. But, it's not something anyone can just grab, which is why the otherwise not-terrible idea of a post-route-C low level challenge run is off the table for virtually everyone.

Altogether, there's no way that arena mode is anything other than intentionally garbage design. It's kind of special that way.

I mean, one of the core themes of Drakenier is that completionism is bullshit. The "do absolutely everything" ending in every game is some manner of "gently caress you", either a janky rhythm battle followed by the most confusing and unsatisfying of all endings (Drakengard 1 & 3) or literally deleting your entire save file just for a flower on the title screen (Nier). It's only logical that the reward for relentless completionism in the DLC is an arena battle that's only winnable in the academic sense. Like, the "you-know-who" fight that mysteriously appeared is probably just :yokotaro: laughing at you and then you instantly die while he calls you a lame tryhard and then the DLC uninstalls itself. That or Shade/Gestalt Emil who turns out to be the original Emil and he dies for real and it's all your fault.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

Nintendo is so buddy buddy with Bandai Namco that if Monolith wanted to pick xenosaga back up again and convinced Nintendo to foot the bill they probably could.

This is actually reasonably plausible, Namco did much of the development on the last Smash Bros., and Nintendo actually lent out both Xenoblade and Fire Emblem to Namco for Project X Zone 2 (which is the first I've ever heard of Nintendo licensing out their characters for a project that wasn't primarily focused on those characters). All it would take is someone at the two companies to push for it to happen. And given his status as a freelancer, they could get Yoko Taro to help write it, which I think would be a pretty good fit.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I was gonna say 'he's gonna snap and start murdering other machines isn't he' but this works, too.

Head back to Update 48 and peep the Weapon Story of the Machine Spear if you really want to know the broad strokes of what happens. Not gonna quote it to preserve the suspense for people that have forgotten, but Id literally posted it months ago, back in Route A (as well as straight-up saying that Pascal would be in the DLC), if anyone really wants to know right now.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

DeliciousCookie posted:

Yeah, I'm going to agree that video was weird and creepy. I also have no idea what the point of it was.

Aside from the literal depiction of the mass-destruction of dolls described by Plato 1728 (which is apparently only retroactively relevant), there's a lot of metaphor going on there. Dolls, being designed in the image of humanity, are being destroyed en masse, which is ironic considering the Machine Lifeforms' stated goal of emulating humanity more closely (something the dolls do in form and the Machine Lifeforms continually attempt through their behavior). Further, because of their resemblance to humans, and given the rather upsetting variety of atrocities we see committed against them, it's clear the viewer is meant to see the dolls not as dolls, but as stand-ins for humans/androids/themselves (which is why it ends with a doll that looks like 2B), with the intent of causing the sort of reactions U-DO Burger had at their "execution". I'm sure others keyed in on other layers to what's going on in the video, but real talk it's pretty brilliant and captures the essence of N:A and :yokotaro: in general extremely well.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Dabir posted:

See I thought what was going on there was Plato was trying to 'infect' that machine to get it to spare a doll, but it pressed the button at the last second.

I think what was happening was that the robot was developing empathy for the dolls, but the "patch installed" right at the end was the mainframe "fixing" the "error" of his "emotional matrix", which is why he ended up pushing the button.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I just assumed that he suddenly got the logic virus powerup.

Plato himself isn't referenced anywhere in the Yorha files is he?

I vaguely remember an offhand comment by an android in an earlier update about a big fight that ended in both sides being wiped out that was pretty clearly a reference to Plato (just a weapon story at the time), but I can't remember which one it was. If I find it, I'll edit it in later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Aoi Yuuki did make her own 9S doll...

Speaking of Nines, I didn't want to mention it until after all the costumes were revealed, but I did see online a bit of trivia that during development, his voice actor specifically requested an alternate costume based on Caim for 9S (that obviously never happened). So, 9S might be a dink, but his VA is pretty cool.

• Locked thread