Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Really digging that slide projector bit, mostly hoping they realize that the best part of any Stephen King book is the downtime between scares and don't just generalize it into a shallow Nightmare on Elm Street ripoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I always liked the interactions the kids had with other kids and other townsfolk, and all the weird, discomforting ways Derry is inhospitable.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
All the instances of people being completely inactive during a visible crisis are really chilling, like the bit where he's running down the street pounding on doors and screaming for help, and everyone just quietly closes their blinds.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The purposefully scary Pennywise look loses the sense of incongruity.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ruddiger posted:

Was Jack's cum dripping out of Wendy's pussy in either version of the Shining?

Excuse me, I think you mean his "seed" ran down her "thigh".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He's like an earthier Dickens.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Actually one of their "greatest fears" wasn't a Universal monster...It showed up as The Crawling Eye at one point. You know. From this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgQrjYaLbQ

I love that two of It's incarnations were on MST3k.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I really dig that perfect triangle of balloons, that's super creepy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It cuts away just as he reaches in to grab the boat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Shovel yourself out of the shIT!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There were a lot of good moments in this and overall it was really entertaining but man, it totally feels like a longer, more detailed film that got snipped down to almost nothing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The kids have such good chemistry, it's too bad the film rushes along so quickly, it would've been nice to have had a more laid-back first act before getting herded into the bloodbath.

Karloff posted:

Yeah, the film never hits a level of horror higher than the opening, but holy poo poo did that opening work.

I wish the rest was as gruesome and nauseating as the opening, Georgie weeping as he crawls away with his good arm was stunning. My only hesitation with that scene is when the clown arm comes out, I wish it had held on that overhead shot for a moment more so the arm gets a little too long.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I know it tends to get overused in horror films lately, but the tracking on his face while Pennywise dances for Bev is great. Just the way his head stays perfectly still while everything else in the frame descends into inarticulate madness.

That was a really neat bit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It definitely leans a little too hard on modern horror tropes, which actually makes it feel less otherworldly. The children singing, the sprinting, the tower of bodies all feel too blah and "normal" and totally pale to the more organic moments of terror, like the actual clown handing out balloons, or the bit with the tree, or the slide projector. The more the characters suffer, the better the movie gets, and the more the movie preens over its own effects, the worse it gets.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
In the Maslow's heirarchy of horror needs, "terror" is right at the top. Beneath it is suspense, drama, and character. The bottom block is homoeroticism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Of course, we're all scared by different things and in different ways - fears are just fetishes that never broke through into sexual sublimation, after all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The inclusion of Insidious and Nightmare on Elm Street are apt here, as both movies, like this one, literally use most if not all of these tricks and largely for the same reason - the nature and source of the horror element.

Would you care to explicate your thesis?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Absolutely not. Think on it.

So you'll just be condescendingly terse and vague? Cool!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

If you got rid of scare chords and surprise scares you pretty much would not have horror movies. What you're probably looking for there is like a creepy mystery maybe.

Actually, the opposite is true. The "horror movie" as you're aware of it is an inverse of your own expectations - horror is a liminal state. It's only when it crosses that threshold does it really exist, otherwise it's just a bad suspense film with annoying sounds.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Not really, this is just appealing to propriety. This is the old "2001 isn't a sci-fi movie because it's good" thing. Genre filmmaking is good because it has no obligation to be serious or tactful.

That's not what I'm talking about at all, you've completely misread me. You know nothing of my meaning! How you ever got to make a post about anything is totally amazing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

That horror (what actually scares you) is personal is obvious, but we're talking about horror films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I thought that was odd - I liked the bit where he wanders over to the mailbox in a daze, but them disappearing from the film felt like an editing mistake.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

HUNDU's right though. What scares you and what makes an effective horror movie have crossover, but they're distinct things.

Horror movies only exist some of the time. "Horror movies" exist at all times. The crossover is what makes them so pleasurable, not the existence.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ngl I have no idea what this means

Think on it.

I don't think it's some ineffable experience, otherwise no one would bother.

That's the only reason that they do bother. We are like the spider, who pays ten dollars to post on a forum and then wastes its life doing so.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

*thinking emoji* having thought on it I don't think it actually means anything

There's no use to talking about horror films using terminology that doesn't strictly deal with the subjective and liminal, everything else is dull, pointless, and unproductive.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Okay but I don't get how that applies to what you said before. What are horror movies vs "horror movies" to you?

Come on, you're Uncle Boogeyman, how is this mysterious to you?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That sequence in particular was extremely effective and difficult to watch. Mostly I felt incredibly incensed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It always puts me on edge when someone says the bullying in movies like this (or Stand by Me) is cartoonish and over-the-top, which really only tells me that they've never been bullied.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I sort of liked how comically obese the mom was, it was so clearly a fat suit that it went beyond being an annoying gag (King has a weird relationship with fat people) and became kind of threatening in a way I can only describe as scary in a cloying, syrupy way - theatrical, fake, and fraudulent, which makes it seem bigger than life.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Nuebot posted:

I got the same thing about all the monsters and figured it was all intentional. People complain about bad CGI but my take on it was that it wasn't supposed to be believably realistic horrible monsters. They were things kids were afraid of. A kid wasn't going to imagine a perfectly realistic leper or a realistic version of that painting woman.

I didn't notice any bad CGI, what parts are people talking about?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Any CGI that you notice (even if it's not CGI) is bad CGI

I noticed a lot of CGI, but I enjoyed most of it. I mean, I'll almost always take a clever practical effect over a bland CGI parlor trick (the "floating stack" would've been a neat time for miniatures) if just for the entertaining physicality and unpredictable nature of shooting a live object vs tinkering with a rendered mesh until it's cripplingly perfect, but things like the scary painting lady and Georgie's face changing were excellent uses of CGI.

Popular Human posted:

There's a lot of (intentionally) bad CGI bits in the new Twin Peaks. It makes the Black Lodge stuff really surreal and off-putting.

The effects in Twin Peaks: The Return are stunning.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I loved this but I wish his eyes were looking at the camera, it's much less creepy that they roll up and away

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

King is super weird about fat people but hilariously IIRC the guy in Thinner is like 285. That all you got, Steve,?

Public perception of obesity has changed a lot with exploitative garbage on TV that micro-documents fat people (Biggest Loser is most notable), before that I think it was really just that most people had no idea what 300 pounds looked like, even if they knew someone that big. People are also fatter in general, so "shockingly huge" is a higher bar, but there's definitely been a shift in cultural awareness. He wrote another story about a fat mobster woman and it ends with something like "Last I heard she was over 500lbs, but nobody could get that big...could they!??" (the overarching metanarrative of King's obsessions is almost as interesting as the books themselves).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

If you're expecting to be scared past the age of 12 then I don't know what's up with you.

I don't buy this at all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The bit where he teaches Richie and Bev how to lindy hop is weirdly beautiful - that whole book handles time travel in such a striking way that I've never seen elsewhere.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's definitely not as violent as it could've been or as violent as the book, but the opening scene alone definitely Goes There in a way most mainstream horror movies don't these days.

I wish the rest had kept up, that weeping was so great.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I kinda think all the drooling was a bit much but that's just me

He could've been a little more appealing, I think it was a mistake to leave him as overtly scary as he was. I love the sudden weirdness in King's prose when it's simply described as "there was a clown in the drain" and the thudding juxtaposition almost makes sense in a kid way - sure, of course the clown got blown into the drain, it's so windy! On the other hand I kinda like the sense of being in between perspectives as viewers, so we see both the freakish reality and are given the privilege of understanding it's charming, hypnotic aspects (this would've been kinda fun in 3D - one side fades a little into monstrousness so you have the clown and the demon overlapping).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The new IT is obviously a better movie but I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda prefer the Georgie scene from the original. I think it captures that juxtaposition you're talking about a little better, the way Tim Curry's Pennywise is just spotless and cheerful.

One of my unexpected favorite moments in this new movie is when Mike is being attacked and he looks up and sees Pennywise in the bushes, grinning and waving what looks like a doll hand (?) which nails that tone of menacing clowning without overt horror.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, that moment also did a good job of capturing "Pennywise is everything wrong with this town" in an image too.

(although I'm pretty sure it was an actual severed arm, not a doll hand)

That would make sense. I actually thought it was a dildo for a moment, lmao. So floppy!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

It's like they filmed a good movie and then jump-cut all the good parts out of it.

It does feel weirdly cut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tired Moritz posted:

...what

that's an interesting interpretation

oh wait, is that your gimmick, cause I'm digging it

supermechagodzilla posting in a thread about an adaptation of IT is what we in the business world like to call "a perfect form of synergy"

• Locked thread