Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Chuck, after years of having to insist his illness isn't fake, is now regularly faking symptoms to manipulate people. What a class act.

EDIT: So was mike draining the tracker battery so that chuck could have a dead battery for his ploy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If there's one actual flaw in BCS recently, it's that Jimmy's and Mike's stories are almost entirely separate. It used to be more frequent that Jimmy was up to poo poo that required Mike's help, and vice versa. And Nacho was originally introduced to Jimmy's storyline (in a way that made me think at first he'd be a pretty major character), but then disappeared for a while and resurfaced in Mike's storyline, never talking to Jimmy again. Hopefully they find a way to re-entwine the two plot threads.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Bates posted:

Wait, who had a tracker?

Chuck tricked Ernesto into changing the batteries so he could track Ernesto to 1216 Rosella Dr., where Jimmy hid the fifth tracking device.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

I hope 1216 is the address of los pollos hermanos

http://i.imgur.com/ZTHuh7u.png

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

We really need a new episode.

If you solve the tracker puzzle you get a link to the next episode online.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

A crazier transformation will be getting Francesca to this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6LzaoGBeqE

That seems pretty plausible, too. She's already pretty unflappable in her introduction this week. Just add on that the Francesca of BB has seen some poo poo.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even in introducing a character like Gus, they're freaking out and building up to it like one of the most important plot points in the history of the show. Not anything he's doing, just the fact that he's Gus from Breaking Bad. The payoff of a long stakeout scene (which was actually really good anyway) was a dramatic pan out to a "Los Pollos Hermanos" sign, which means nothing unless you're really excited that the crime lord Mike's facing happens to be a specific character from breaking bad.

So, do you really think they could introduce more characters from BB without it being a disproportionately big deal?

I'm still loving the show, and I enjoy the stylish slowness of it all, but this whole Gus reveal rigamarole has caused me to rescind all previous "you don't even need to have seen Breaking Bad" claims. The show now only works if you accept "Gus Fring shows up" as an inherently big deal.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Akumos posted:

I'm not sure I buy the whole thing about this show trying to stand on it's own. It feels more like they knew BB had no future without becoming stupid, so they just wanted to flesh out the universe with a prequel series instead, so I expect to see a lot more crossover of characters later on. You should already see the direction it's heading with the focus on Mike/Gus.

I used to think this show was going to stand on its own. Like, they were an experienced and talented team, and they knew the best way to stay mostly together and funded was to do a spinoff, so they started a whole new show with a prequel with a few characters who weren't adequately explored in BB.

But now I'm seeing how they're treating the whole Gus Fring reintroduction. They clearly are really talented at filming and editing very stylish scenes, but also they clearly bought into the whole "oh holy poo poo this Breaking Bad character is back on TV" hype, and the show is bending around that. That saddens me a bit, because I used to see BCS as a show that you could watch without seeing BB first -- just a new show, with more developed talent behind it, that happened to contain links to an old good show that you could see if you wanted to. But the Gus Fring arc is clearly based on the assumption "you've seen BB before BCS, and when you catch a glimpse of Los Pollos Hermanos in BCS you're gonna be excited to see Gus Fring again". So now yeah, I'm on your side -- BCS only works as a continuation of BB. I'm a bit sad about that. It's still amazing, but I can't sell it as its own thing to my friends with a clear conscience.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree with this, and also think that earlier goon was maybe projecting a bit when they were saying that stuff about Gus' big reveal. I don't actually think that there was much of a big reveal at all fir anyone not already aware of what's going on. Hell, the Tuco cameo at the end of S1E1 had more of a blatant wink to the audience than the slow pan over the restaurant logo, or Gus' silhouette.

The slow pan out to the Los Pollos Hermanos sign during episode 2 just now struck me as a clear "hey, Gus is back, you know who Gus is right, isn't this gonna be great" moment to me. Same with the way they had him out of focus in the restaurant, then later suddenly the focus, doing nothing that remarkable unless you already know he's secretly a drug kingpin.

And listening to the podcast for this episode has reinforced my belief that the writing and directing and editing staff are way too psyched about this character for the good of the show. I literally have no other complaints other than this, and Better Call Saul is still my favorite show, period. But this where I see the biggest failing in my favorite show.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 21, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It feels like they're wishing they hadn't named this show after Saul. We get basically one non-Mike-focused plot beat per episode. Mike's story is still great though, so oh well.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I actually really like the mike and gus stuff, but the show has definitely shifted plot priorities in a way that wasn't anticipated back in season one, which makes the overall narrative feel askew in a way I don't like.

And I've always loved BCS's pacing in general, but this season is definitely even slower than season one, by quite a bit.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 6, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Before we get further in this conversation, everyone remember that the point of the bechdel test isn't "a particular show is sexist if it fails the test", it's "the industry is sexist if most shows fail the test". It's fine for a show to be about men, it's just that almost every show is one of those.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

just rewatched crawl space and remembered that it's the best episode of television of all time alright thanks for reading yall can go back to ferengi debate club now

Look, we're all just briefly interrupting a conversation that's nerdier than we are. None of us care as much as everyone else obviously cares. That's why the thread is bad, that's why the thread is good. You can't act like an outsider, here.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In Chuck's rant, he mentioned the cash register from when they were kids, and remembering that whole thing just slew me.

That's where it started, Jimmy stealing from the till, but Jimmy knows that most of the reason they actually went broke is that Dad was a huge sucker for a long series of conmen. And Jimmy never told Chuck that, so Chuck always thought that Jimmy literally robbed their dad to death, and that's still always weighed heavily in Chuck's evaluation of Jimmy's trustworthiness. And Jimmy did steal from the till. Just... drat.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I know all the cretins in this thread like to complain that the show is too slow but I wonder if they realize that basically this entire Chuck vs. Jimmy Hearing story has taken place in 5 episodes? This season started out just after Chuck made the recording.

I mean, Jimmy went through more than one plot arc in season 1, too. The show is definitely significantly slower than it used to be. After this latest episode, complaining about that is ridiculous.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Chuck was running out of money in Season 1 Episode 1, and needed to take HHM money (either cashing out his shares or taking a stipend) because otherwise Jimmy was subsidizing his groceries on his grim PD income.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When Chuck was ranting, it looked like he was staring right at one person the whole time. I was trying to figure out if it was Jimmy but I couldn't tell.

Based on his "snap to" at the end of the speech, I thought he was just staring at a point in space.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I definitely can no longer claim "you don't need to have seen breaking bad to enjoy this show", but hell, I'm along for the ride anyway. The first two seasons are some of the best TV I've ever seen. This one is still great, but seems to be leaning harder on "here we are, setting up all the pieces for that show you remember", especially now that Gus basically has his own story arc going as a "new character."

On the other hand, I'm glad Nacho is back in the picture. If Lydia and Gale get more screentime than him by the time this show is over, I'll be at least a bit disappointed (of course that'll be quelled by the raw quality of everything, but I'll still be sad this show is drifting away from being "its own thing" and more into "the new season of Breaking Bad is one big flashback".).

EDIT: Also episode 305 was maybe the best thing the show ever did, so yeah. Seems like it's good when the show focuses on its new characters and stories.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 17, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

this is angel, not frasier. it's assumed to fully enjoy you have seen bb :colbert:

That didn't feel true of seasons 1 and 2, which is why I'm a bit disappointed now. BCS was my favorite show, but now it's getting harder to treat as potentially its own thing, to recommend on its own merits.

In any case, some of the Gus-centric scenes are just plain out of place. If you've seen BB, it's meaningless "hey remember this" stuff. If you haven't seen BB, then they suddenly tacked on a brand-new POV character without trying all that hard to first solidify his relevance to the ongoing story arcs -- why would you care yet that Drug Kingpin #2 is looking at real estate?

I've been waiting for them to tie Mike or Nacho back into Jimmy's life, but instead it feels more and more like two shows sharing an episode. "BCS is still my favorite show, though it's too bad they dropped some of the characters. I'm also enjoying Breaking Bad Season 6, which took a week off so BCS could have a full 47 minutes for episode 5."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The whole deal with Jimmy and the skateboarders and Tuco served a very clear point both in introducing us to our main character and nudging him into new elements.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's a prequel. it's not fan service to assume people have seen breaking bad. it is not a standalone show. it is a prequel.

The first two seasons functioned well as a standalone show.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I think his loving Chuck there was a spur-of-the-moment thing. He went in there genuinely hoping he could sweet-talk his way into a refund, or some kind of deal. But the fact that Charles came up first in their search, and the fact that he got even worse news while he was there, gave him the idea and inspiration for a quick bit of spite. Especially since he had some pent-up desire to run scams from the night before.
If he'd gone through the entire process with the insurance company just intending to hurt Chuck from the start, he'd be a very different kind of rear end in a top hat.

For Mike's thing, I can definitely see him wanting to stay out of things, and I can see him wanting to keep Nacho or Playuh from making bad decisions, but I'm not sure how what's-her-name's story flipped him from one to the other.

Notice that the "Gus and Lydia buy real estate" scene from last episode continues to be irrelevant to BCS's actual own stories.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 23, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, he's definitely smart enough to know how insurance works, AND know that a manager at an insurance company isn't going to agree to something like "putting insurance on hold until it's needed". I think at the point she explained that insurance was still active for inactive lawyers because they might be sued by past clients, he started talking purely by dumb instinct, with that "oh but my clients love me and wouldn't ever sue me" stuff.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

For all the talk of how good he looks (not that he doesn't), Esposito really does stand out the most for being quite obviously older than he was on BB.

Well, Jonathan Banks maybe moreso, despite the Mike joke there.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh right yeah, Nacho's plan to switch the pills back is probably all about getting to the pills between Hector's death and any investigators. But since Hector won't die, it's going to be way more difficult to switch them back, or avoid suspicion, because Hector will feel that the pill didn't work.

Unfortunately, I'm basically expecting Hector's incident to be a season-ending thing, and we won't get to see any fallout of it until season 4.

The writers are spinning so many plates this season, and the different storylines touch each other so infrequently. I've been rewatching season 1 with someone who hasn't seen it before, and man, things happened way faster back then, even with the deliberate and artful pacing. Plot arcs would be introduced early in one episode, get twisted near the end of that same episode, and be resolved in the next, leading into the next thing. The last three episodes, we basically got two separate scenes each for Mike, Jimmy, Kim, Chuck, and Nacho, and Gus in 306. Really good scenes, but mostly unrelated to the scenes before and after them.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 8, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Who is the contagonist?

I think you mean the protagonee

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jimmy's move in this episode wasn't a step away from taking on the Saul persona. He's learning that he can accomplish more while looking bad than he can while looking good. He's also torpedoing his reputation, the absence of which makes doing business as Saul more necessary.

I think people misremember how evil a person Saul was. He's someone who works mostly with amoral criminals, and he has an attitude that fits dealing with such. ( "Why aren't you just having him killed" is a pertinent question to ask a drug dealer who's asking you to separate a potential snitch away from the police.) He's not a good person, but he's believable as a purposeful act put on by someone not quite as callous.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Like, imagine if the only thing you saw of Jimmy in this episode was that conversation with Erin he broadcast to the old ladies. That's more or less the perspective of him we have in most of Breaking Bad. It's the first time we see him playing up his sleaziness.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think it's too slow, but I didn't like how often a scene would have absolutely no bearing on the scene before it or after it, because we're telling a couple entirely unrelated stories. Each individual scene was excellent, and the different story arcs were excellent, but it still doesn't really feel like Nacho, Mike, Gus and Hector are in the same show as Jimmy, Chuck, Kim and Howard.

Except for exactly two crossover scenes, one where Jimmy helped out Mike (in a way that didn't affect Jimmy's arc in the slightest) and later Mike helped out Jimmy (which they thankfully tried to tie in to Mike's thought process with "get back to building things").

I recently rewatched the first season, and it definitely was more... cohesive.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

His actions in the final episode even go against how the Season 1 finale ended. About how he'll never let doing the right thing get in his way again.

That wasn't really what that was about. "Why didn't we [keep the money]? What stopped us?" "I remember you saying something about doing the right thing." "I don't even know what that means." "You wanna know why I didn't take that money? I was hired to do a job, I did it, that's as far as it goes." "Yeah, well, I know what stopped me. And you know what? It's never stopping me again."

It wasn't doing the right thing that stopped him from taking the money, it was desire to impress Chuck, and that's what he vowed never to get in his way again.

We thought we saw Saul in episode 9 this year but the show took it back. He's still caring in the final episode.

I still argue that his actions in s3e10 are the most Saul-like he's been. Imagine you only saw that conversation he 'accidentally' broadcast. It's the very first time he's leaning into the sleaziness, letting himself look bad to people, because he's finally realized that he can accomplish more with a bad reputation than he could with a good one. It's that lovely public image we saw of Saul during all of Breaking Bad.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 24, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

He realized that at the end of S1, as he's driving away humming "Smoke on the Water", having vowed to never again do the right thing and get screwed over because of it.

Then they walked that waaaaaaaay back until now.
People misremember that conversation, he deliberately wasn't saying that:

Ditocoaf posted:

"Why didn't we [keep the money]? What stopped us?" "I remember you saying something about doing the right thing." "I don't even know what that means." "You wanna know why I didn't take that money? I was hired to do a job, I did it, that's as far as it goes." "Yeah, well, I know what stopped me. And you know what? It's never stopping me again."
What stopped him from taking the money wasn't 'doing the right thing', that was just his rationalization at the time. (He realizes at that point that he was actually trying too hard to impress Chuck, and he's resolving to ditch that motivation.)

galenanorth posted:

It looked like they re-aired the last scene of S1 at the beginning of S2 with part of it deleted as part of walking it back after they found out they were getting more seasons
They re-aired it in S2 just to insert a scene of him going into the courthouse and briefly meeting the other law firm. They didn't significantly change the conversation with Mike, people just misremember it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

teacup posted:

Where is David cross in BCS??

He plays Gene.

(It might seem like unnecessary work, but having separate actors for the roles will really pay off in the season seven time-travel arc)

• Locked thread