Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The tracker was speaking in Mike's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I told my photographer friend to watch this. She texted almost immediately upon starting S1 that she was impressed at how the first Cinnabon scene was shot and she's still impressed at the camera work several episodes in.

This show is seriously the best cinematography on TV in god-knows-how-long, maybe ever. BB was good but BCS has obviously honed the craft further regardless of if you think the stories stack up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Steve2911 posted:

All he really has to do is show Kim the tape. She'd probably ditch Jimbo and voluntarily sacrifice Mesa Verde.

That wouldn't mend Chuck's ego though so he won't do that.

I dunno if I'm reading Kim right but she still seems to like and think well of Jimmy, and she's also seen him stress over Chuck's well-being. She might well buy into the confession being a lie to make Chuck feel better. I could see her thinking that, and then eventually Jimmy confesses it's really, really true and THEN she ditches him. I think she'd maintain a connection with him even if they sever professionally though. It'd be really cute/sad if even BB-era Saul still has Kim checking up on him.

MiddleOne posted:

You should force her to watch Preacher and The Patriot.

We actually did a comedy watch of Braveheart a few months ago, it's basically The Patriot in plaid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

King Vidiot posted:

I dunno, I kind of agree that if you're watching something good then maybe you should not drink to the point where you can't follow it and also not go out to smoke during key moments. And also you should probably sort your life out.

IMO it's cool to drink while watching good shows, but if you're drunk enough to not remember watch again before going on the internet and being baffled

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shbobdb posted:

I hate Kim. She stole Jimmy's clients and is just generally a road block to Jimmy being Jimmy. Kim is a . . .

A skilled, conscientious lawyer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Longbaugh01 posted:

Kim seemed to enjoy being an amateur con-artist in that one episode, so maybe that's part of what happens down the road...

I could see a scenario where Kim helps Jimmy do something of questionable legality, or hell maybe the Mesa Verde thing ties into somehow, and Chuck knowing about it but being ultimately hesitant to truly screw his brother well and good, "sends a message" by dropping Kim under the bus instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Gene sequence ends with a redeemed Jimmy McGill, newly shaven, hurling a cackling Chuck into Cinnabon's industrial mixer as a wounded Jesse looks on

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Season One is pretty funny throughout, I'm rewatching it as we speak. Hell even when Tuco is threatening murder it keeps being funny. "Operation Kingbreaker? That makes ME the king!" The "petty with a prior" prosecutor, the Kettleteam, Mike and his stickers, Jimmy's office, "cucumber water for customer only!"

I definitely don't read this as darker than BB, my friend's dad said it was and it baffled me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lotus circle posted:

Man the advertising team is really having fun with these Los Pollos Hermanos promotions.

In addition to the training videos, this is a mock commercial and a a goddamn website is up.

Guys I think they're really excited to have Gus on the show.

So am I man. Back in S4 of BB I was really rooting for him to beat Walt.

It's kinda tragic that on top of his vengeful meth empire, he was legitimately a great chicken entrepreneur. I'd sure as hell hit up Los Pollos Hermanos and repost cheerful Gus memes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ha, so I thought I knew, and it turns out even I forgot, and I'm glued to the screen every week.

I think it was from Mike helping Nacho out, it involved getting rid of Tuco, Mike gets Tuco put away for possession of a gun, so Hector telks Mike to say the gun was Mike's and not Tuco's. Hector threatens Mike's family via the twins. Mike being a family man hates that poo poo, so he's willing to put down Hector for good. Except he was told "Don't".

Now I'm wondering if Nacho dies before the BB timeline gets set up :ohdear:

When Walt and Jesse drag Saul into the desert in BB, he mentions(blames) an "Ignacio", which is Nacho's real name I think? So he seems to be alive as of then, at least.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I live about equidistant between Dallas and Albuquerque and the Chik-fil-a breakfast market is HUGE.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can only imagine that the Pollos batter is spicy, and being in NM I'm sure they've got all kinds of green hatch chili items and stuff. I'd eat there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Uh oh, Hector.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I worked at a Raising Cane's in the southwest, I honestly have no idea what the gently caress we'd have done in that situation.

And I was thinking, it'd be unexpected if it's the Cartel that ends up loving up Hector. Getting his little shop busted and then threatening a very successful guy who works for a different lieutenant doesn't sound like it'd play well, and seems like at least one of those customers or employees would phone 911 as soon as they got to safety. They went to the trouble of showing Gus with the cops so maybe Hector's in for some legal trouble.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Slippin' Kimmy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Michael McKean's mannerisms as Chuck remind anyone else a little bit of Ian Holm as Bilbo in Fellowship of the Ring? When he's all eccentric and ring-addled.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I rooted for Gus pretty much the whole time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I dig the episode layout where the cartel and Jimmy main plots are mostly contained and segregated, with cartel all the first part and Jimmy the second part.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Selachian posted:

Plus Chuck is, at least in the eyes of the law, the victim here.

Essentially, breaking and entering is a criminal charge. In a civil suit the dispute is between two private parties, ie Jimmy vs Chuck, but in a criminal case like breaking and entering, it's between Jimmy and New Mexico. In criminal cases the accused is considered a danger to society, as they may have broken a law that is put in place to protect everyone, and so the government fights them in court with a prosecutor, because again, a burglar is potentially a danger to everyone and to the government's own integrity. Chuck is merely the victim so he has his own lawyer that is not the prosecutor. Howard's role is just to advise Chuck.

Basically imagine Jimmy's will-writing, if two people had a disagreement about say, who got what according to the way the will was written, or whether Nana was out of her right mind when she gave X the farm and it legitimately should be Y's, where no one has actually broken any laws, they'll need to hire their own lawyers. That's why lawyers write wills, to protect against civil disputes like this and get witnesses to say "yes Nana is of sound mind." The state doesn't give a poo poo. Once there's an accused lawbreaker though it's the state's job to enforce the law, so they'll have a prosecutor to fight their own case.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

clown shoes posted:

Love me some Cane's. In high school we would sneak out to go to the original location down by LSU. This was before they were all over town. Box used to have five fingers, not four.

I always imagined the chick at Los Pollos Hermanos to be like a more flavorful version of Chick-fil-A.

I imagine them as more KFC, well more Popeye's since it's actually decent, but instead of the creole twist, it's probably a mix of expected NM/Tex-mex flavors and Gus's chilean heritage. Everyone seems to be ordering buckets and x piece meals and stuff.

I have a weird fascination with trying Los Pollos Hermanos.

Cnut the Great posted:

Except obviously Los Pollos Hermanos is down with the gays.

"Los Culos Hermanos". Lol, Hector is an rear end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Given how we know that Gus is hugely affected by his friend/boyfriend's death, I like to think he's only partially motivated by stone cold drug lord logic.

Yeah, he wants to make hella cash selling meth to chumps, but he's not excited, and on some level he really does wax poetic about murrika and imagines how things might be if he never had to sell out to violence and crime. He seems to take a lot of pride in running a legitimate business that could stand alone, especially after this episode. There's no way he isn't proud of Pollos and the recipe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MiddleOne posted:

Enacting a conspiracy to get your brother to commit a crime is already pretty out there.

Plus he's casually putting oil lamps on top of papers. Sounds like a danger to himself, best lock him up somewhere safe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Karmine posted:

I'd bet he was! And if he can use that for the benefit of his subterfuge so much the better.

That's why I love watching Gus so much. We know why he hates Hector and wants revenge, but overall he's unique among our drug kingpins since he seems to really care about and take pride in his legitimate operation too. To me he comes off like he'd prefer to have Los Pollos Hermanos, his hermano alive and well, and to never have ended up slinging meth. I want to see more of how he thinks.

He didn't actually lie to his employees, did he?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are Don Eladio and the Don that Gus works for blood relations to the Salamancas? I assumed so but I don't think it's discussed.

Tuco's abuelita would be Hector's mom and presumably Don Eladio would be... the same generation, roughly, as Tuco? So maybe Eladio is the son of an unmentioned elder brother of Hector's and thus the head honcho, and Tuco and the cousins are children of Hector's younger siblings? I dunno but I was trying to work this out today. Also, is Eladio being called "greek" just a joke about his name or is he supposed to actually be greek?

As a texan, their spanish is funny. I'm not fluent enough to tell whether it's "bad" exactly but they sure seem to be doing cartoony villain voices.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

some guy on the bus posted:

It had to be done. It was the lives of his family vs a child being temporarily sick.

Actually because of Jesse. How was Walt to know that Hank and Gomie were with Jesse when he called the nazis to come?

If only Walt could have somehow, at some point, avoided putting himself in the situation where he has to hire nazis and poison a child. Alas, it happens to all of us.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pollos chat: their menu seems to include Pollos by the Bucket, Chicken Specialties, New Mexico Specialties, Burgers, Pollos Breakfast, Pollos Burritos, Pollos Platters, and Little Pollitos. Kinda reminds me of a whataburger but chicken-themed, or a local mexican joint. I was trying to read the blurry in-store menu over the past episode on a rewatch. I think I spied Jimmy's Pollos Classic breakfast, a green chile burger, and a vegetarian breakfast burrito, also the fried chicken comes original or caliente. Inventing an entire fictional fast food menu seems pretty drat amusing for the writers or whoever designed it. It'd be fun to see that set. I love the fat guy ordering a 12 piece and a jumbo fry while Hector goes all cartel.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gene gets prostate cancer and starts a grow-op in a corn field to pay for treatment.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 7, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Did we figure this season's episode title secret yet?

Mabel
Witness
Sunk Costs
Sabrosito
Chicanery
Off Brand
Expenses
Slip
Fall
Lantern

Oh man I hadn't read these but I'm psyched for Slip and Fall.

Also, I like BB but who the gently caress remembers individual episode names for it? That is the weirdest thing about these threads for me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Honestly, I have a better grasp if shows when I follow threads like this. I wouldn't have remembered weird things about both shows if it wasn't for goons discussing stuff over and over again for better or for worse.

Motherfucker, I have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of Dexter season 4 onward.

Makes sense, I didn't follow the BB threads closely. All's I remember is Mike's Voice.

Chuck dying as a result of a lantern-based house fire after some kind of Slippin' Jimmy/Saul Goodman lawyering and then Jimmy's temporary neglect seems right up foreshadow alley from those titles. I can already visualize a disgruntled but apologetic Jimmy pulling up, knocking, feeling the heat, calling 911, fin.

OR, it isn't quite his style, but maybe an infuriated Jimmy calls in a hit from Nacho or someone and they make it a fire since the photo of an oil lamp on a paper is such an obvious clue as to Chuck's dangerous situation?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 8, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

And it won't be. After BB ended, Saul's office space got ripped out and turned into a lovely bar.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...5318671!6m1!1e1

That said, there's about a hundred other malls around town they could use that would be close enough.

I forgot how many locations on this show are actual ABQ spaces and not studio-designed. Didn't the people living in "Walt's" house have to give a PSA about please not throwing pizza on their roof?

It won't happen but it would be amazing to see Mrs. Kettleman back in some other criminal enterprise.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 11, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Am I the only one that would tune in without hesitation to a "Don't Fuss with Gus" pre-prequel?

These characters and the amazing way the showrunners can frame just about the most mundane poo poo possible in an interesting way are almost as addictive as meth. I'd trust the crew to show me a full forty minutes of pure Pollos workday and make it fun.

I'd watch a Kim sequel or a Todd prequel or a Hector prequel or just about loving anyone, but especially Gus.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

vermin posted:

Breaking Badger

This is what we need

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Work Friend Keven posted:

I don't think you could do a Gus show, the character wouldn't really work as a lead without major changes.

The mystery of his background is a huge part of why he's so fun to watch, but given how they took Saul Goodman the shithole ambulance chaser and turned him into Jimmy McGill, I trust it could be good.

Incidentally, what makes this show great instead of good is that Chuck is absolutely correct about Jimmy. He stole from the till at their dad's store, he staged the billboard incident, he doctored the papers. Chuck is an rear end in a top hat but he knows his brother.

IA (trying to be) AL and I'm also the young, hard-drinking fuckup son of a rich family. gently caress if Jimmy doesn't appeal to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cnut the Great posted:

If you did a show about the rise of Gus, there's also no way you'd be able to use Giancarlo Esposito without crossing the line from reasonable suspension of disbelief to outright parody. Obviously a show about a younger Gus, if truly good in and of itself, wouldn't need Esposito to work, but it kind of conflicts with his own professed desire to star in a Gus spin-off.

As far as the story of the rise of Gus goes, I think BCS should prove perfectly adequate to scratch that itch. With the way things are now, the creators can reveal as much or as little about Gus's past as they feel is appropriate. They're not locked into anything either way.

This is true, and sad, because Giancarlo Esposito is aging like a god and Gus should still be alive,

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Secret Agent X23 posted:

My take on it: He would rather have made something nicer. But given the time frame he had to work in, he may have realized that the only way to produce something effective would be to go in the opposite direction and just go all-out for tacky.

He also probably knows he's not going to attract the most respectable companies. For next-day, shady ad services, so may as well go all out and get the sleazy clients.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hasn't this show always been billed as a Breaking Bad prequel from the start, not the Saul Goodman Power Hour?

That said I do prefer the Jimmy stuff. But I'm not going to complain unless Hank/Walt/Jesse/etc start showing up. We know everyone we've so far has been connected, if not directly than through mutual contacts, for a while before BB started. It's pretty reasonable to expect it took Gus six years to go from abandoned facility to legit laundry service to meth superlab underground.

The lingering shot of Huell works fine, if you haven't seen Huell before it makes him stick in your mind for when Jimmy calls him in. You're just thinking "who's this guy, what's his game?" and not "Huell! What's Jimmy's game here?"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I think that shot is heavy handed, on the level of a silent-movie villain twirling his mustache. I don't believe a guy who has just done what Huell has just done is going to stop and look back and smirk and relish his accomplishment. He's going to keep moving straight ahead and make his getaway. Haul rear end out of there. If the director wants us to give us a better shot of his face than what we see up to the "bump-into moment," shoot the whole drat scene differently. Yeah, I know that's easy for me to say here and now, but I think it would have been doable.

Now, maybe there'd be an impulse to look back and make sure the mark isn't checking his pocket, so you know you're successful, but I don't think he'd do that. If the mark looks back at you, it only looks more suspicious if he catches you looking back at him. So just maintain discipline (Huell's an accomplished pro) and keep going.

As for making sure the audience understands something significant has just happened, the action itself gives us that. Bumping into a guy that way is a trope everyone will recognize. In real life, it's more likely than not a meaningless accident, but on TV, it's not.

As opposed to all of the other realistic criminal mastermind, totally-not-purely-made-for-tv actions that happen in these shows.

It's a fair point but it's not consistent to call out that once instance, imo, and I really doubt the average viewer would see it as anything more than a sign of Chuck being nervous and bumbling into a guy.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like how they play a preview for the new episode immediately before it airs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Argus Zant posted:

i've never quite understood how nitroglycerin- something known primarily for being both highly explosive and highly volatile- is used to treat sudden-onset heart conditions

Mammal systems have an enzyme that turns it into nitric oxide, which basically widens your blood vessels for a short period :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

Uhh

no.

Why?

gently caress I love Mark Proksch's delivery

Holy crap he was in the US version of The Office

• Locked thread