Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Jorj says there was a skeleton crew of 50 on the ship, 20 went down to reverse the engines, where are the other 29 people? It's only been 2 days for him, but he already knows about the proto-Cybermen taking only humans. Time dilation is such a headache.

Edit: just paused and saw floor 1056 is on day 365,035, which means 1000 years has passed for them in only 2 days for floor 1. :psyduck:

Yeah, I guess the engine crew went down there and then from his point of view, almost immediately the lift came back up and the proto cybes grabbed the other humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

King Plum the Nth posted:

OK, on my second watch through of World and Time Enough and you know what I love most about Michelle Gomez/Missy/this season? (And the disclaimer here is I'm a really limited fan with most of my experience of Doctor Who is largely limited to TV stories from Tom to the present.) I love how it's the first time I've really thought of The Master as the equal but opposite force to The Doctor. I think if I were better acquainted with the Third Doctor's Era or Big Finish Audios or if I just had a little more imagination of my own this wouldn't be such a revelation. But I'm re-watching Missy introduce herself as "Doctor Who" and thinking back to her line form the Monk three parter about having her own adventures and I'm really thinking -- Missy/The Master has been running around all this time being the Doctor but as a complete rear end in a top hat. Not even a villain. Just a troll. I mean I got that a bit from Trial of a Timelord, now I think of it. The Master was affronted by a properly evil Doctor. But now I really see there is a Master apart of the Doctor; I get a sense of what s/he is up to when she's not specifically in a Doctor Who story. And it's the same thing The Doctor is doing. But with an eye toward being a oval office for the joy of being a oval office. It's kind of retroactively opening up my appreciation of Simm's and Ainley's work too. How could I not have seen The Master as a being unto himself?

Goodness gracious this season has been awesome. I've watched and loved every season because I love Doctor Who but the more objective portions of my brain see this season as one that resonates like Classic Who. Not because I want it to but because it does. This is the season Moffat, the author of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, makes good on the promise of those episodes.

And I guess I need to shell out for Britbox because I really want to see Delgado in action. I've gathered he is the gold standard and realized his era of Who is the one with which I'm least familiar.

Please let next week's episode be as good as this one.

With Delgado you get a polite, genteel genius who's facade occasionally slips and you see the utter bastard behind. He'll be your best friend right up until it's time for him to gently caress you over, and while you won't see it coming, he'll make sure you know it was him. Everything he did was in pursuit of a bigger goal, though, loving with people was just a bonus. Much as I enjoy Ainley, he's pretty much a pantomime villain in comparison.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To be fair to Ainley it's not a bad direction to take the character, and it suited the stories he was in.

Also he would sometimes answer the phone by saying "This is the Master", followed by a cackle.

Oh, please don't get me wrong, I thought Ainley was great. I love him being just an utter arsehole playing really dickish pranks on the Doctor throughout 5, 6 and 7's tenure. He's the only thing I enjoy in Time-Flight, particularly that it makes very little sense that he'd even bother to disguise himself (which this last episode feels like a bit of a nod toward).

Ainley obviously CAN do more with the role, as he's a lot less cartoonish in Logopolis, Castrovalva and Survival, but I like the scenery chewing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

So, inspired by the last episode, I decided to go back and watch The Tenth Planet. I'm two episodes in, and it always takes me by surprise just how much fun the Hartnell era was even when he's clearly barely healthy enough to play the role any more.

The Cybermens' attitude of "listenyouIIIIIIdiots, quitWASTINGtimeandletUSSSSSSShelpyou" (for certain values of 'help') is wonderful, but the General's attitude toward the Doctor is almost as much fun, particularly given the later Doctors' tendency to wander into situations like that and just take charge. That scene where the Doctor launches into "Oh, well millions of years ago there was this plan-" "OH gently caress OFF" made me laugh way too hard.

I'm probably going to go through and take in a Cybermen story for each Doctor (video or audio) where that's possible. Question. Since I've seen Tomb quite a few times (and I love it, don't get me wrong), which is the best of the remaining Troughton Cybermen stories? (I don't mind reconstructions or just listening to soundtracks, obviously.) I'm thinking Invasion, since I've not seen that one.

For the record: I know Three only has like one audio that features them, Four I'll probably watch Revenge, Five will obviously be Spare Parts (sorry Adric, I'll leave watching Sarah Sutton giggle at your death scene for another day), not sure about Six, Seven or Eight yet, War, is there even anything, Nine I guess there just isn't an option so I'll probably watch Dalek again on the grounds that there's a Cyberman's head in it, Ten will probably be The Next Doctor (which I know not everyone loves but which I adore), and Eleven...eh, probably Closing Time.

This post brought to you by some dumb insomnia.

For 7 I'd go with The Harvest. It's probably one of my favourite 7 stories overall. Silver Nemesis could be pretty much any Who villain in it, they don't really do anything particularly Cybermanny, so I wouldn't bother.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Invasion for Troughton for sure.

For 8, I'm going to put this in spoiler tags for anybody else lucky enough not to already know, but check out the 8th Doctor Adventures story Human Resources. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Man, stuff like that is such a pain to recommend. It's like when people want a good Master story and you want to recomend UNIT: Dominion but you can't without giving it away.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Attack of the Cybermen is one of the better (televised) Six stories, which really isn't saying much.

The fact you're right is very depressing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

How many TV Cybermen stories do they actually convert people in, incidentally? I've not see much pre Pertwee, but from some Wikipedia reading it looks like Tomb, Attack and the post revival ones are about it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

I'm really curious about this and have no clue which direction they will take it.

Unless there is a super-convoluted plan unveiled where we learn Missy has orchestrated the entire season then her turning on the Doctor might feel cheap.

However if she is genuinely changed it's a dangerous thing to do one episode before Moffat leaves the show.

I don't think it's THAT dangerous. In RTD's final episode the Master nobly sacrificed himself to send Rassilon and the rest of the Time Lords back into the Time War, and by the end of Moffat's tenure Missy's back, so's the John Simm Master and so's Gallifrey. Chibnall will just do what everyone working on Who does, take the bits of the show's history he likes and sideline or ignore the bits he doesn't.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mind Loving Owl posted:

It's always possible that she could full on die, but it turns out there's like nine Masters between her and Simm.

I'm idly wondering if she's actually a pre-Master regeneration and that's why she doesn't remember the current events, but that seems unlikely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Master: Is she.... is she The Rani?
Missy does something competent and actually achieves something
Master: No wait something doesn't add up...

I think the Rani's hit rate is similar to the Master's, to be fair. She managed to take over that planet from Time and the Rani and enslave the occupants, and she successfully removed the need to sleep from an entire planet in Mark of the Rani, which is what she was trying to do. She probably would have been successful in getting all the brain juice she needed if it weren't for the Master showing up and buggering it up.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

He also mentioned that it took him a while to figure out who Missy was, though. He figures out she's him, he happens to remember that he was never a woman, or that particular woman if you prefer, therefore, future incarnation.

Yeah, I realised as I hit post that it wasn't really that likely. Moffat might still pull some timey-wimey, Blinovitch effect nonsense but probably not.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 28, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought Delgado and Beevers were separate regenerations?

Apparently there's at least two versions of how Delgado becomes meltyface, and in one he regenerates first and in the other he just gets melted.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The original intention was definitely that he was the Delgado Master, trying desperately to cling to life because it was his last regeneration.

Yeah, I always took it that way. I only know that the other thing happened at all from the Tardis Data Core entry on The Master (in which I learned that his timeline is the sort of mess that Wookiepiedia would tie itself in knots to resolve, but here is just presented as "It could be either, we dunno").

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh good, Moffat's turned into Gregg Wallace.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I assumed so. I think the reason people might feel it is a bit vague is because McQueen's Master seems to have been written pretty clearly as a new regeneration as opposed to one of the desperate stop-gap measure possession's he'd been working his way through, which means he got hold of a new Time Lord body somehow BEFORE the Time Lords gave him a full set of new regenerations starting with the Jacobi Master.

It being the Master, the answer is probably something along the lines of,"It just is, that's why."

Doesn't McQueen say at one point that the time Lords gave him a new set of regenerations in order to help in some forseen conflict?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I really need to get around to listening to Dark Eyes... and Doom Coalition!

Personally I feel Dark Eyes gets slightly worse with each iteration, but I ultimately enjoyed them all. Not got around to Doom Coalition yet.

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtvkC9My298

I wonder how one recovers from cyberization

And also how one recovers from a four inch hole directly through the sternum without cyber bits.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

Plus the REAL Thirteenth Doctor adventures starring Tamsin Grieg as the Doctor, Michelle Gomez as Missy, Stephen Mangan and Julian Rhind-Tutt as the Expendables, Mark Heap as the Meddling Monk, and...

What? Why are you staring at me like that? I I I AM NOT OBSESSED WITH GREEN WING, MISTER BOYCE

(I genuinely do want to see Mark Heap as the Meddling Monk now.)

I'd be fine with that because it'd mean we'd get to see Mark Heap doing something other than his usual "I'm a bit weird" thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I read a quote once that said if a Doctor Who fan asked Christopher Eccleston to do a personal appearance, he would politely decline, David Tennant would enthusiastically accept, and Matt Smith would show up at your front door in full costume and a sonic screwdriver claiming your family has been taken over by Zygons. Capaldi shows up at your front door in full costume and a sonic screw driver as well, except no one asked him to, he just occasionally does that to random houses.

And Tom Baker is behind you, emptying your drinks cabinet into his mouth.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Colin Baker visited and he was great company, but you're not sure why all your DVDs have been mysteriously replaced by copies of "Vengeance On Varos: Special Edition" (some say it's a classic, though).

Sylvester visited you in the past and now your living room is set up EXACTLY as it needs to be for when his past self arrives.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

McGann would have come, but he had work commitments.

The_Doctor posted:

And forgot where you lived.

I think the latter is the most likely. The McGann era is the closest to All My Circuits.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

So if Missy can't regenerate, but we know she'll be back, I assume the next time we see her she'll be Peter Pratt or Geoffrey Beevers, right? That's a logical, sensible thing for me to assume.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

What surprised me is that in very recent interviews, such as in that latest fan show, Moffat admitted that last week saturday, they weren't even done filming yesterday's episode.

Is Doctor Who filming always this hectic and chaotic?

I think they're making an effort to have the regeneration actually be a surprise, which in this day and age apparently means leaving it to the last minute (and probably filming four versions as well just to catch people out)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Doctor Who: Its the end...but the moment has bCONTINUED IN SIX POSTS TIME

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I want Matt Berry. Just go full on Ainley.

Berry would be superb as a Master who's plans are just total nonsense and have no chance of success and get nothing done. So yeah, Ainley.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

So has Robert Holmes regenerated yet?

Yes, but sadly as he's now between his twelfth and final incarnations he regenerated into Joseph Lidster.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

How strongly would people recommend The Last Adventure and UNIT: Dominion? They're both on sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should get them. I've not heard any of the Klein audios aside from Colditz, and I'm not at all familiar with any of the 6th Doctor companions in his box aside from Charley (with 8) and Mel.

I really enjoyed Dominion. It's best if you've not had any part of it spoiled, but if you HAVE had it spoiled it's good anyway.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nekromanteia.

It's close but I'd still put that behind those other two. Ugh.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm guessing they're really going to go to town on wrecking the Console Room set, given it's the last untouched thing between the Moffat years and a clean start under Chibnall.

I'm surprised Peter Capaldi hasn't tried to buy it off the BBC and have it transported to his home.

I'm pretty sure he's already got one. Or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

echoplex posted:

Everything goes into storage. Jenna got a few of my TARDIS signs when she left but generally speaking if you leave anything unattended for 30 seconds it gets transported into the Experience and you have to fill out Brazil-level paperwork to get it back.

Oh, I was meaning ones from old Who. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Capaldi has the old auxiliary control room instead of a living room, and that McCoy's tardis set is his kitchen.

• Locked thread