Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I almost thought a thread for this didn't exist because it was 5 pages back. I'm surprised the thread isn't getting more attention, I absolutely love this game. Just the right level of challenging for me, tough but not too tough.

I think I'm starting to wrap up, with 2 of the 3 Dreamers dead, and the achievements for all stations and all maps. Nonetheless, a friend who just started messaged me that he got into an area he didn't think he was supposed to and killed a boss. He sent me a screenshot. I have about 20 hours in and I have no idea what boss that is. It's amazing how big this game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Beat the game this morning. I'd have liked to do the good ending, but I don't want to deal with the nightmare bosses. Can you get to 1800+ Essence without it?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lakbay posted:

I keep hearing about this game, is it PC only?

Currently PC/Mac/Linux, a Switch version is announced but has no concrete release date. It sounds like the devs are exploring other console options but nothing's been announced.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Obligatum VII posted:

Alright, I'm totally lost right now. if someone could point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated:
I got the super dash from the mines and I went and cleared Herrah in the deepnest, though I did not fully explore the area yet. I feel like there is clearly some upgrade that extends your jump slightly and one that lets you survive the hot water, judging from obstacles i've seen, but I have yet to locate either and unless one of them is in one of the parts of the deepnest I have yet to explore, I'm stumped. Also, is there anything that can be done with the midwife aside from talking to it a few times before it starts repeating dialogue? What was with the weaver den building? I couldn't find anything to do there and I feel like I missed something, I doubt it exists just for the rancid egg I found.

As far as I know the Midwife won't do anything except say a bunch of stuff and then eventually try to eat you. You can't kill her, either, she'll just go hide. Similarly, nothing to do in the Weaver's Den. Supposedly Hornet is being added as a playable character down the road, and the theory is that these places might be more relevant then.

There's definitely a double jump but I would expect you to have that already by the time you're in Deepnest. If not, it's in the Ancient Basin, I believe.

There is an upgrade that should be accessible to you now for surviving the acid water. It's in Isma's Grove, which you can access from Royal Waterways now that you have the dash -- remember that place in the descent to the Ancient Basin with the broken elevator, where there's a spiky path with doors on each side that you can't get to from the main shaft there? You can boost across it from the sides. It's also possible to time the dash cancel to fall back down the main shaft without dying, but it's tricky and there's not an easy re-entry -- just useful if you're in the wrong place and want to get there fast.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I am almost always lost in this game, so I've been looking at a map and just collecting stuff. Can I get both endings in one playthrough btw?

Yes, you can just reload from the save point right before and go do whatever. No need for a replay.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah I had no framerate drops at any time. My computer is solid but it's a couple years old and was solid but not top-of-the-line components when I bought it. For reference, it's a i5-4670K (3.4Ghz, no overclocking), 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 760.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Internet Kraken posted:

Do I need some sort of ability to bounce of these purple mushrooms high enough to progress?

This is the one thing that well and truly stopped me. I had to look it up and I felt like an idiot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chard posted:

The second, faster Crystal Beam Guy can gently caress completely off.

I found him very hard until later. I ignored him and made do without that bench, then came back when my Nail was way stronger and I didn't have to survive as long. It helps that by then I was better, too, but the second time was basically just me killing him first.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Internet Kraken posted:

Is Failed Champion supposed to be absurdly hard or am I just even worse than I thought?

Its the only boss I've run into where I have no clue how to even go about dodging all the stuff it throws at you.

You almost certainly know this, but just in case, it's one of the "Nightmare" bosses and you aren't supposed to beat it til endgame, and it's still supposed to be very hard.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Obligatum VII posted:

Oh geez, I must have missed the scene you folks are talking about. Anyone have a link to a clip of it?

Also, something that's bugging me:
Is there any use for Mr. Mushroom or is he just there to dispense a cool poem in the fungal wastes? Likewise, is there any use for the mask maker or is he something likely to come up in the Hornet stuff that may end up happening?

Increasing spoilers as you go down:

He's in a bunch of places. You can unlock an achievement and a special scene in the ending by doing his "quest."

You need the Spore Charm equipped to talk to him.

You need to talk to him in a specific order for it to work.

Guide here, including information on where the riddle is and how to read it, in case you want to puzzle out the actual locations yourself: http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Mister_Mushroom

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Strong GOTY candidate for me as well. Is the game doing well for you guys? I really hope so, it's the most fun I've had with any game in quite a while.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hate multi-phase fights, everyone feels like they have to do them. I'm just as glad Hollow Knight wasn't a massive exercise in frustration.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Awesome! posted:

i am ashamed at how long it took me to figure out how the bouncy mushrooms work

That is the one thing I had to look up.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

yergacheffe posted:

Wow I didn't know you could fit more charms in than you have notches by just mashing on the charm until you jam it in.

You can but there's a penalty: you take double damage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wore the Compass badge for the entire game and I regret nothing

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah that nerf seems unwarranted. Deepnest should be terrifying, and it's not like they're especially difficult to dispose of safely once you learn how they work.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kalsco posted:

I also just lost a cool 3500 geo thanks to the """"""bank"""""" just up and leaving. gently caress me. I just found out entirely missed out on the charm shop and have been 4 notches down this whole time. Could only afford two thanks to that.

This is so mean but it cracks me up every time. I love that it's in there.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

veni veni veni posted:

The lack of stag stations is really getting to me. Finding the one in Kings station and realizing it’s broken was borderline insulting.

There's a working one right above it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Watcher Knights is such a brutal fight. Last time I think I just played well enough to beat them -- though it took me a lot of tries, as I recall -- but this time I couldn't be bothered. I tried a spell build with Soul Eater and Shaman Stone, but it didn't work for me, although I got close. Ended up just equipping Quick Slash and Stalwart Shell, plus Quick Focus for healing and facetanking them while slashing as fast as possible and that saw me through. I did make use of Shadow Dash to avoid damage from the rolling Knights, and I definitely healed when I could.

I still kind of think that fight is a bit too brutal. But hey, it's done again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ambivalent posted:

Watcher Knight fight can be brutal depending when you take it. In the glitchless speedrun you fight them with no extra masks and 0 or 1 nail upgrade and it is a harsh skill check in terms of combat especially since youre trying to be fast.

Fight is a little easier if you use the secret passage outside their room to drop a chandelier and kill one off instantly . That was a really cool secret

Yeah, I already knew about the chandelier and I can't blame being underequipped. I have two or three extra masks and I'm using the +3 Nail. That fight is just really hard for me, and on my first playthrough I beat most of the bosses on the first try, including Soul Master (not Tyrant). Something about this one just kills me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I haven't fought Traitor Lord since release when he was way easier. Holy crap he's hard now. His patterns are pretty straightforward, but the fight is just so punishing -- he does two masks of damage per hit now, and there's virtually no opportunities to heal because as far as I can tell he doesn't have any of the usual points where after enough damage he's stunned you can heal a few masks. Any advice? I read about cheesing it with some crazy minion build but I tried it and it doesn't work anymore, there's nowhere safe to hide. I've also tried facetanking with Joni's Blessing -- not like I have time to heal anyway -- and of course a more conventional Nail build which is how I fight most bosses (various combinations of Steady Body, Quick Slash, Longnail, Mark of Pride, Unbreakable Strength). I think I also tried killing him with Descending Dark but it wasn't enough to take him out.

I know you can dash through all of his stuff, dashing and even just avoiding his attacks normally is pretty easy. It just requires that you do it perfectly for so long, and it's very frustrating. I think he's a bit overtuned now -- but I actually think it's close to right. I'd like stun breaks to heal and maybe his non-melee attacks shouldn't do two masks of damage. Everything else seems pretty fair.

EDIT: Never mind, I killed him by abusing Flukenest + Shaman Stone

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I finally got to what I'm assuming is the "final" boss. Beat the 3 masks and broke into the Black Egg only to face the Hollow Knight . It was a fantastic ride, and while I'm sure there are tons more to go, I think I'm done playing blind. Just too much backtracking, and less things being discovered.

One thing I've never figured out is how to break the weird Black Laser Gates. It's turned out not to be essential but still. I'd like to 100% this game, it deserves that effort, though I don't see how I'll ever manage to beat the dream versions of the bosses. Maybe if I upgrade the nail some more?

Looking at my map I can't find anymore more paths to push forward into, which means I need to go room by room... and I'll either have to take a month long break to make it feel fresh again, but I'm not up to doing that right now.

In case you get tired of hunting and want it made explicit:

What it is, what it does:
You don't break the black gates, you just go through them. The upgrade that allows that is the Shade Cloak, which modifies your dash to let you dash through the black gates. It also lets you dash through stuff without taking damage. (Note that the cooldown on this is longer than on the regular dash -- you can still dash, you just won't be invincible when you do until the longer Shade Cloak cooldown elapses. Dashmaster does not affect the Shade Cloak cooldown.)

Where it is:
Go down into the Abyss, go to the right at the bottom. If you haven't already, go up the lighthouse and turn on the light with the switch. Afterward, or if you have already, crystal dash off to the right from the lighthouse across the black sea. Follow the path around to the item.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:smith::h5::smith:

worst part is finding out you can optionally give him a happier ending

Oh god really? I had no idea :( Do you just... walk away instead? I feel terrible now.

I have kicked some rear end today other than that deep shame. Beat the White Palace, which I never unlocked in my first playthrough -- definitely hard but not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. The early sawblade part where you have to dash between them took me the longest but I was done in probably an hour. (I used Hiveblood so I wouldn't have to worry about limited attempts.) I opened Path of Pain but haven't done it.

I also beat Soul Tyrant and non-dream Grimm, which were easier than I thought they'd be. Lost Kin is my last dream fight, I'm dreading it a bit. I did Delicate Flower for the first time too. It took me four tries because I kept forgetting that the infected fly corpses explode, but it was easier than I thought it would be. Definitely helps that I saved it for late game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Most people love the game (and they are objectively correct), but I have heard complaints about traversal from more than one person, and I don't know if they just have a low tolerance for it or if we take fundamentally different approaches to the game. It's hard to tell because I can't usually see them play.

Yes, there is only one stag station per area (a few don't have them at all, but they're tiny and they're connected to places that do). But just because you want to go, say, somewhere in Greenpath doesn't mean that the station in Greenpath is the fastest way to get there. Sometimes you want to go to a stag station that's in another zone but is close to the place you're trying to get to. Sometimes there are multiple routes and one route is better than the others. Sometimes there's a shortcut you can open from the other side, or that you need a specific ability to use. Sometimes (rarely) the tram is the most efficient path.

I don't want to invalidate other people's experiences but if it's taking you more than a couple minutes to get somewhere you are probably missing something, or you are extremely inefficient at traversal. It just does not take very long to get anywhere in the game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Mantis Lords are dead and the mantises bow to me. If I attack them (because I need more mantis kills for the Hunter's Journal) will it do anything besides make that specific mantis that I attacked aggro? Like will the rest of the mantises hate me again?

I tried Path of Pain and wasn't able to make it to the second statue in half an hour or so. I'm sure eventually I could get it but I don't think it's worth it. I watched a video of it being run by an expert and it just looks like a nightmare, and I like hard platforming.

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, one of the areas i was thinking of without a convenient stag station is deepnest, but i feel the justification for that is "it's deepnest"

The other thing about it is that for all the other parts of Deepnest, there are several entrances and another Stagway station is probably close to the one you need.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The best advice I can give for bosses generally is to stay calm during the fights. When I get tense I make mistakes, I push lots of buttons trying to dodge and I get hit. Most of the bosses have a small number of relatively simple patterns, and it's a matter of staying cool, identifying which pattern is happening, and knowing how to avoid the attack and when my window to counterattack is. It's okay if it takes a few tries to get through the fight, use that time to try different tactics to dodge the attacks.

That said, I don't think I have the patience for Nightmare King Grimm. I actually thought regular Grimm was pretty straightforward after a couple of attempts to learn the fight, but Nightmare King is a different ball of wax. It's very fast-moving and you don't have a lot of margin for error.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also is the delicate flower quest as frustrating as it looks? I'm not even sure where that grave she wants me to go to is located.

Here's the route I took if you're interested and a tip or two about charms:

Resting Grounds -> Blue Lake (you can just Crystal Dash all the way across -> Forgotten Crossroads -> Fog Canyon (NOT Fungal Wastes) -> Queen's Gardens -> Straight across to the Traitor's Grave.

It's only a few screens. It still took me 4 tries because I kept getting hit in dumb ways (mostly by forgetting, repeatedly, that Infected Vengeflies explode on death) but I was done in 15 minutes or so. I set a Dream Gate right by the Mourner's house in anticipation of loving up and I recommend it.

I used Unbreakable Strength, Quick Slash, and Shaman Stone; being able to one-shot the mantises in Queen's Garden with shadow hadouken before they knew I was there was helpful. You can do without Unbreakable Strength but I find Quick Slash pretty indispensable for killing the Infected Vengeflies safely.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

veni veni veni posted:

Is there some way to get that mantis to open the bench door by mantis lords? What a dick move. The boss run sucks

Edit: arent those guys supposed to have a second phase? I was all ready for them to go at me at the same time and then it just ended

The guy will stop slamming it in your face... after you kill the Mantis Lords.

IIRC the Mantis Lords just have "one guy fights you" and then "two guys fight you." (Is this really a spoiler?) It's neat how everyone's experiences with boss fights different; as long as you have a dash I've found the Mantis Lords incredibly easy in both of my playthroughs, but the re-worked Nosk kicked my rear end around the room until I found a mostly-safe place to stand. My first time through I had no problems with either Hornet fight and my second time through the second fight took me a lot of tries.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

veni veni veni posted:

I've played this game enough to know it's probably gonna make me want to throw my controller out the window, so I just opted to do other stuff for a bit before trying it. The second one was a bitch, but in a good way. I really like this game the most when it's tough but gives me a split second to breath once in a while, and so far Trial of Fools has been the best example of that in the game.

Alternately, traitor lord can suck my rear end. What a terrible boss fight. I've done everything (that is available. I think there's end game stuff too) except the last 3 mask fights and the final trial, but I might just skip 100%ing it because I hate traitor lord so much. He feels cheap and flat out unfair.

I fought the new fight for the first time last week. Here is a super cheesy way to kill him that I used after getting fed up with the fight:

Make sure you have Shade Soul (the upgraded Vengeful Spirit). Equip Flukenest and Shaman Stone, and I recommend something like Soul Catcher to make sure you can keep casting. Fill out any other charms however you want. You will still want to try your best to dodge and slash him if you can, but he will be dead in 5 casts or so if you hit him with all of it. It does a ludicrous amount of damage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Grubfather endgame: Both now and at launch I saw people talking about the Grubfather eating the grubs or whatever. When I went back with all the grubs he just gave me the rewards and nothing happened. I left and came back and they were all just chilling there. Is there something I have to do to make whatever everyone else is seeing happen, happen?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cowcaster posted:

i’m going to guess you’re missing a grub or you hit a bug (lol). did you get the badge?

Yeah, I definitely have all grubs. I'll try it having rested at a bunch as the post above yours suggested. Thanks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bogart posted:

Paths that I never used since I had the stagways open? :v: It just makes getting to Salubria a pain.

It used to annoy me too but if you go through the pathway that has the tram it's almost the same distance. You can also get there via Blue Lake from the Resting Grounds.

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Oh dang, using dreamgate costs essence?! :(

I mean I only used it like three times to play around with it but I wish I learned that sooner

For what it's worth, only placing the gate costs essence, using it is free.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Edit: when/where do I get double jump? I got to the Teacher’s Archive in Fog Canyon but I can’t get the loving map for Fog Canyon without double jump!!!

Ancient Basin

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Darox posted:

Other way around, placing the gate is free but warping costs 1.

Really? poo poo, I burned more essence than I realized. Oh well, I didn't even notice.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I think I read you need some kind of key to get into the area underneath that one? Where is it?

Also I think I got Dreamgate but idk what it does

You're talking about getting into the Abyss? You need the King's Brand, which is in Kingdom's Edge IIRC.

Frankston posted:

On the topic of essence, I'm at 1500 and need 300 more to unlock the thing but I've done all the warrior graves and the trees and I'm not sure where or how to get more essence?

There are three bosses (well, originally, now there are a few more) you can Dream Nail to fight harder versions of themselves, each gives several hundred essence. They are:

False Knight -> Failed Champion, this one is a little hidden, there's a breakable wall on the right above where his body is

Soul Master -> Soul Tyrant

Broken Vessel -> Lost Kin

These are lategame/endgame fights, be decked out before trying them. Not that you can't do it earlier but you will have to be better longer since you do less damage/have less health/etc.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My first time through I rescued Zote and everything but my second playthrough I didn't remember where he was. I passed through the area where he's being attacked but didn't actually see him, and I guess I had the sound low at the time or something so I didn't hear him. I was really bummed when I stumbled across his corpse way later. :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SirSamVimes posted:

That is a real dumb opinions because the movement in this game is so precise and fluid and it deserves a serious platforming challenge.

I think the controls are really precise too but I've heard more than one person complain that the controls aren't precise enough. I don't know how they could be improved any more. The last time I heard this complaint it was from someone who felt the game was unfair because the controls were too imprecise to navigate the environmental hazards. Additionally -- I swear I am not making this up -- they felt it was unfair that you take damage when you touch an enemy, which is how virtually every Metroidvania game ever made works. This same person specifically professed an affection for Castlevania.

I don't know how to respond to these complaints. The smart answer is probably to say nothing and let it go, because it's no skin of my teeth and I strongly suspect the real answer is that they are dogshit at platforming games yet are prepared to blame everyone but themselves for their poor performance, but I hate to see people miss out on the game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I found Ori a little disappointing. It's very pretty, and the introduction gave me Feelings, but the combat is just horrifically bad. The exploration stuff is quite nice.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My first time through I almost never got hit by Primal Aspids and I didn't get the fuss. My second time through I absolutely could not stop getting tagged by the spit. I have no idea what changed but if you don't have a plan to deal with them figured out they're a big pain in the rear end.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

snoremac posted:

Beat this - loved it to bits. It makes me wanna play another Metroidvania immediately so I bought Castlevania SOTN. It’s probably my fave 2017 game (alongside Prey) and the first game in a while where the sense of adventure is so good.

Aside from a few bosses I came to late and cheesed, the Hollow Knight is the only one I beat first time! It’s oddly generous with healing time and everything’s pretty telegraphed.

I am kind of jonesing for a SOTN port to Switch myself. I've played it before but I haven't played it to death -- I only really played the 360 port -- and I'd love to play it again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I missed him the second time through, after I already knew he was there -- I found him no problem the first time -- because I didn't remember where he was and I had sound off at the time. Didn't realize my mistake til it was much too late.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dung Defender is the absolute best. He is just so cheerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you don't care about completion %, I just did it to the Strength one because I didn't have the need or the charm notches to use more than that with the other ones I wanted to use.