Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dancer posted:

I think it's close. I know of too many people who couldn't figure out how to use the bouncy shrooms and had to look it up (though it's not like "having to look it up" is such a big obstacle in the current day and age).

I instinctively knew to downslash from years of playing games like Zelda 2, and I would describe downslashing as perhaps the single most core part of my play style, but I had to look up bouncing off the mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Pogo slashing is a core part of how I traverse the terrain, not just how I fight. If I don't want to kill an enemy for the zillionth time and just want to get across the map I pogo off enemies' heads so I won't break stride.

I love HK and I have no patience for people who bitch about contact damage from enemies, which is a part of platforming games since time immemorial. I will say that a game dev I know suggested a tweak to make it easier and I don't really see any downsides -- there's no real reason that screwing up and dying to spikes/acid/etc. needs to take HP away. I like HK's challenge level and I don't think it should be dumbed down, but most of the people I know who are frustrated with the game are frustrated by environmental hazards, and a change like that would make the game more accessible for them and wouldn't hurt my experience at all.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The only time I lost Geo across two playthroughs was trying to do that nasty thorn challenge area in Greenpath. Only happened the once. I already had the lantern so it wasn't that big a deal. In general I walk on eggshells if I die until I get my shade back and I think some people just blast back on through like they haven't got a care in the world.

So It Goes posted:

This is what confuses me. Castlevania and Metroid have contact damage. Mario has contact damage. Mega Man has contact damage. Do the people who talk about contact damage also not want it in basically every 2d game that exists? Or is it only hollow knight where they feel it shouldn’t exist, and if so why?

This is going to sound very cold and mean but I think some of it is literally just there are a lot of people who are absolute dogshit at video games but want it to be someone else's fault when they die. I talked to one guy who spent half an hour getting the item on the right side of Queen's Station. It's like 3 jumps and there's a bench in the room next to it. I cannot fathom a world in which it takes half an hour to complete that sequence. The same guy complained about contact damage, but also professed a love of Castlevania, a game with contact damage.

One thing the dev I mentioned earlier pointed out is that people are very bad at expressing themselves and that may be how he's interpreting the different problem that he's actually having, like getting hit in a way that he gets knocked back into environmental hazards. I can only really think of one place where that might be a consistent issue for a player with functioning gross motor control and that's the area with the flipping platforms and the flying bugs whose stingers sprout crystal when they shoot, that one definitely frustrated me a bit.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Meallan posted:

Whoa White Palace really lags on the switch huh?

I didn't have any lag issues on Switch. Try a full restart of your console, I've heard of that fixing lag issues in other games.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Flipswitch posted:

I thought Deepnest was kicking my rear end but Kingdom's End(?) is wrecking my poo poo, those hopper dudes are something else.

There's usually a place you can stand that you can hit them and they can't get to you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I'm struggling with the platforming section to enter the City of Tears (the spikey corridor above the bridge) should I look for other ways in?

I have heard of people having a lot of trouble with this, and while the platforming isn't nothing, sometimes it turns out that they don't realize they can dash away from a wall with the dash button without pushing away with the stick. If that's you, it might not be as hard as you think.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I started a third playthrough of HK because nothing else sounded appealing. My first time through I guess I got lucky because I beat most fights on the first try or close to it by learning the patterns. My second time through and now this I have had no end of trouble with Hornet in Kingdom's Edge. I don't know what it is about that fight but I just cannot execute effectively the whole time. I really wish I could figure out my mental block because I'm currently stuck on it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wish there were a Hot Spring by the Hornet fight in Kingdom's Edge. Like a lot of people I find that one bizarrely difficult and it's hard enough going in without starting it at 0 focus. There is no way I am going to go farm up a full meter each time I die.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For what it's worth, my specs are worse (i5-4670, GTX 760) and I don't have that problem. I haven't played on PC in a while so I loaded it up again to make sure and no, no performance issues. Something else is going on in your environment. I'm assuming you have a healthy amount of memory as well, since you used to not have this issue; I'm running 16GB and consequently haven't thought much about it since.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Deified Data posted:

Traitor Lord just gonna come out of nowhere and be the hardest boss in the game huh

Unbreakable strength + quick slash + stalwart shell + grub & thorns, can't make a dent in this guy even with a pure nail. I get that you're supposed to shade cloak through him but he seems to throw out attacks faster than your shade can regenerate.

He used to be extremely easy, but they buffed him and IMO went too far. Now I find him borderline impossible to fight normally. The cheeseball strat I used on playthrough #2 still works, though, which I know because I did it again a week or two ago:

Make sure you have the upgraded hadouken. Use Flukenest and Shaman Stone, along with whatever else you want. It's very easy to hit him with all the flukes, and with the upgraded spell and Shaman Stone they do a crazy amount of damage. It's not enough to kill him, but it will get him really close.

My other piece of advice, if you have enough Essence to have it, is to put a Dreamgate right before him. It's a long, tricky run back, and having to make it over and over again is soul crushing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Phobophilia posted:

I just started this game. I don't think I'm great at it, I constantly take hits and have to recover back using soul points. Somehow managed to kill False Knight on the first go and Hornet on the second, I had a bit of practice fighting other large elite enemies in those zones which gave me an appreciation for performing short hops, slashes, and then immediately changing direction mid-air.

But then I got to Fog Canyon, and I found myself getting demolished by those jellyfish with homing missiles. Am I meant to avoid them and just run away screaming? I accidentally dropped straight past into the Fungal wastes, I think I'll settle there for a while. I lost about 1000 geo as well, which sucked.

I strongly recommend avoiding the big ones. They're very dangerous and take off two health, not just one. The only safe way to kill them is to find a way to put a ledge or something in between you and them so they explode harmlessly far away from you. The little ones are easily killed and provide a good source of Soul to recoup health if you get nailed by one of the big jellies, or if you slip up and fall on a small one. Generally if the path on one side has a big jellyfish the other side will have a small one so you never have to hit a big one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Stop telling people about the banker, good or bad. It's funny as hell to me when it happens but I would be pissed if someone specifically told me to trust her and then that happened. Let them figure it out for themselves.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Grouchio posted:

Does each Mantis Lord have like 40 hit points? :stare:

Everyone struggles with different bosses in this game, so I don't want this to sound like I'm giving anyone poo poo, but the Mantis Lords have extremely recognizable tells. You need to be on the ball, but try to force yourself to remain calm and spend a little time observing how they attack. They only have a couple of attacks and none of them look the same. Be ready to dash out of the way if they drop from above and be ready to jump upward (and downslash!) if they charge in from the side. It's a technical fight, but very learnable. I have never actually lost to the Mantis Lords. It gets a little hairier with two, but the same principles apply. Usually if I get hit it's because I got too panicky. That's actually true of a lot of the bosses -- if you can stay relaxed and avoid the panicked button mashing, you'll do a lot better.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

b_d posted:

You can also hit enemies with the dreamnail to get a bunch of soul, but it’s usually hard without a certain charm.

One good time to do this is when bosses are stunned, if you don't need that time to heal.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Inu posted:

Are the roly bug bosses with swords at the top of that tower in the city just really super hard, or is there some trick to them? (They're in that room with the chandelier that you can knock down before you fight them.) Is my only solution to just get better? Because I fought those guys about 10 times before giving up. I haven't had so much trouble on any other boss in this game so far.

I think it is one of the hardest and worst bosses in the game. It's not so much that any one of them is hard but that it's long and frantic and unforgiving because they keep coming and there's little time to heal. It's been a while but I think I equipped as many blue health charms as possible and just facetanked them (you'd also want a maximally upgraded Nail). I also wonder if cheesing them with Flukenest + Shaman Stone would work.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I beat the original Ori and liked it a lot, then tried to replay it and decided I hate it now because of the combat. I was going to skip the sequel, but if they've improved the combat that much....

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, I should have figured for an MS Studios game, it requires Windows 10. I've had and seen too many bad experiences with Win10 to upgrade, and it's only on PC and Xbone. Unless someone can confirm that it doesn't actually require Win10/DX12, I'm sitting this one out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My first time through I had no trouble with Hornet II. Every subsequent replay she's been a major roadblock. I don't know what it is that I find so hard about that fight but I have a heck of a time maintaining my tactics without screwing up long enough to complete it. Don't forget you can heal during some attacks, at least with Quick Focus, but be careful trying.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

cptn_dr posted:

I'm taking advantage of lockdown to finally finish Hollow Knight... or at least get AN ending for Hollow Knight. But man, I'm running up against the Traitor Lord and I just keep fuckin' dying. I am bad at this game, but it's too charming to put down.

As someone noted, Traitor Lord is completely optional unless you're going for the "good" ending, so you could just not do it. It used to be a pushover, and they buffed it, and now the fight is insane. If you want to kill it, here is the advice I always give for how to cheese the fight. There are spoilers here, nothing crazy but I talk about where to get the stuff I recommend having.

You will need the Flukenest charm (reward from hidden Flukemarm boss in the Royal Waterways) and the Shaman Stone charm (buy from Salubria, $220). The first one replaces your fireball spells with slightly different versions of those spells, and the latter boosts spell power. Equip those and whatever other survivability charms you want. You will also need to have the upgraded fireball, Shade Soul (get from Soul Sanctum, need to buy Elegant Key from Sly and win a miniboss fight), and you'll want to have every possible Soul Vessel. Having every possible mask is also helpful since you're trying to kill it before it can kill you.

The modified fireball spell shoots flukes instead of fireballs. The flukes have poor range, but are extremely high damage. The flukes are individually articulated and you need to hit with every fluke, every cast, to maximize damage.

Do the best you can to survive; you need all your Soul for spells. If you have max Soul Vessels, chain casting all your flukes into Traitor Lord won't quite kill it, but it will come really close. Unload all your spells, then whack it a few more times, and it should die.

This will probably take a few tries. It's a dangerous walk to the boss, so if at all possible, I suggest having the Dream Gate ability (reward from the Seer for Essence) so you can just warp back to the fight if you die. Besides the fight itself, which is super annoying, it's made even worse by the fact that you have to fight those stupid normal mantis enemies every time, giving you more chances to get hurt.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I personally would rather die than play without the compass and never use the pins. But you'll have plenty of dough to buy everything eventually so don't worry too much about what you spend it on right now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Nosk used to be very easy but he was changed so that even the regular Nosk fight is much harder and you can't just hide in a safe spot. Traitor Lord also got a revamp. Both are much harder than they were at launch. IMO Traitor Lord is now too hard.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Crystal Guardian is an issue not because it's an especially difficult fight, but because -- unlike nearly every other fight in the game -- he's guarding the only bench in the area. And a. it's a surprise fight, and if you fight him and lose you b. lose a lot of progress and c. have to fight your way all the way back before you can try again, which is both frustrating and makes it harder to get practice. I don't find Enraged Guardian all that difficult, because he's just the same moveset but faster, so if you've learned the original moveset, you just have to step up your execution. And the bench is right there now, so if you lose it's no big deal.

We don't need to spoiler tag a game that's been out this long, right?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I know. Maybe I am overselling what I mean by "in the area." It's a decent hike back through some dangerous areas. Compare and contrast with almost every other boss -- Traitor Lord is an exception -- where the bench before the boss is, like, across the hall.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Waltzing Along posted:

Traitor Lord isn't particularly hard with Sharp Shadow. It's just a fast fight so if things aren't right they can go bad real fast.

I don't agree with this, even with Sharp Shadow I found that fight very frustrating after it was buffed. I always just cheese it with Flukenest and Shaman Stone.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

jeeves posted:

The run back to that boss is what annoys most people, I think. It’s definitely the beginning of the GETGUD segment of the end game for most players.

Not me! It's 100% the boss fight itself. Well, 95%. The last 5% that pisses me off is having to fight several of those nasty mantis enemies before the boss, making it more difficult to start the fight with full health. I have almost every other enemy in the game down to a science, but those are always a little hairy, at least when there's more than one at a time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That one is long but I don't think the fight is anywhere near as nasty as Traitor Lord, which I guess is why it didn't register to me as a problem. gently caress those flying guys though!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I did it by accident once because sound was off to avoid disturbing my family and I didn't realize it was that room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I did really well at HK when I first played it, on PC, but have found it harder on subsequent replays on Switch. I assumed I was just playing worse, but it's interesting to hear there might be an actual reason (that isn't my fault).