Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Any tips on the prerelease tonight? 2HG at my LGS and I haven't studied the spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My pool is 2 Archfiend of Ilfinir and 2 UB cycling lands. Promo is the black curse - bleh.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
We have now won our first 2 rounds with Approach of the Second Sun - this is insane.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So that was the strangest 2HG pre release I've ever played in.

My partner and I both had garbage pools for RUW but bomb-rear end Black and Green cards... to the point where we built TWO full-fledged BG decks; one around -1/-1 counters (hapatra, 5/4 menace guy, 5 soulstingers) and one cycling deck (2 archfiend, 3 cycling lands, bunch of cycling fatties).

At the last minute my partner sees our copy of Approach of the Second Sun and says "we'll splash - it'll be out backup wincon". One plains, a few mana dorks, and he works it in as the only white card.

We ended up winning ALL THREE ROUNDS with that drat card. We were so removal heavy no one could hold a board against us or stop us from casting it!

Most fun I've had at a pre-release yet!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

For some reason our store was Gideon central today, there were 7 or 8 floating around, including a foil and one pair that came in the same pool :psyduck:.

Our opponents in round 1 & 2 both had gideons as well. Fortunately combat tricks got both of them off the board fast.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Lawnie posted:

I went 3-0 and split 12 packs. I played pretty hard UB control. Heiroglyphic illumination or w/e is really fun, and the sphinx is pretty much impossible to deal with. The power level is very high, too. I felt that the two -1/-1 counters on one or two target creatures was really useful, and that's a pretty lousy-looking common at the surface. It makes combat really, really interesting. I'll probably draft this set, having so much to do is right up this cube player's alley

For sure - aside from being a great set for sealed so far, I think its contributed to the largest number of cube updates any set has in a while. Granted my cube isn't high powered but the Trials/Cartouches, all of the monuments, and a bunch of cycling stuff is all making it in.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So new Nissa in Bant EldraI or no?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

uninverted posted:

Probably not. Eldrazi isn't a deck that wants a trickle of value over a lot of turns, you want to disrupt the opponent a bit and then throw your big aliens at them.

I figure it's exactly what the deck wants - draw fixing that turns in to a free value generator. With a Noble she comes down and ticks up on turn 2 to fix you up good.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Eldrazi's main weakness is how inconsistent it can be. Sometimes you don't get any Temples and your Hierarch gets bolted T1 or sometimes your one big creature is a TKS and it gets Terminated right away. One or two of the new Nissa in the 75 is at least worth trying out to find a Displacer and Drowner faster for the late game.

This is exactly my thinking. Sure the dream is a turn 2 TKS, but sometimes you just die to your own draws and whiff on your stirrings.

Nissa dodges this, is another target that protects your life, and helps build your board.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like the idea of trying her out. I may do it just to see how she works.

For sure. 2 definitely works in the deck, replacing some of the lower-end creatures.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I'm planning on running new Gideon as a 1-of in BW tokens in Modern. Gideons for days with the muscle to keep them around.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I told you guys - the pyramids are the new hedrons.

Bolas is going to get the Eldrazi and Phyrexians and form a Legion of Doom to oppose The Jacetice League.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly if the new perspectives deck isn't just called new perspectives on scg I might have to throw a chair.

"5-color Cycling"; you know its going to happen.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Count Bleck posted:

I just want one good merfolk from Ixalan and I'm fine.

Harbinger of the Tides almost never feels good to play anymore.

I don't know about that, "tbr my shadow", "ok, flash in harbinger?" Always feels decent.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If the Pro Tour wasn't about promotion, marketing, or awareness there'd be no coverage, advertising, or prizing. It would be an FNM you need to qualify for.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Instead of losing indestructible why not have all creatures get -X/-X, where X is their toughness? Then you don't have to worry about removing keywords.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
A one-sided wrath when you have an Archfiend of Ifnir out isn't too bad either.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
16 here for pre-release and I opened an Invocation Omniscience. This is all I could ask for from a pre release.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Balon posted:

16 here for pre-release and I opened an Invocation Omniscience. This is all I could ask for from a pre release.

2-1 for 3rd place. Not a single mythic in our pool but did have glorybringer, neheb, and a torment of hailfire (cast off of neheb ofc).

Lost to a Bolas and mana screw. Womp womp. Still got my invocation - gonna try to offload it and build another modern deck!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Shovelmint posted:

So... fraying sanity, the card that doubles the amount of cards put in the graveyard for a player. You can cast it on yourself. Why do I want to build a deck that makes that good? Like some sort of Lab Maniac Flashback Control Dredge Monstrosity. 3 mana is too much for that effect on yourself, right? Maybe you could do something in standard. I don't know, but as soon as I saw that alternate use for it, I wanted to Johnny it up. I am not a good Johnny.

Pair it up with Sidisi in EDH?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mezzanon posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2018-grand-prix-details-2017-07-20

Oh word, no Vancouver GP?

Edit: Toronto gets two GP's?

Edit 2: Canada gets 3 GP's in total, 2 of which are in Toronto in the first half of the year? gently caress this dead gay game.

Modern GP in my backyard - I love this change!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Oh does Ral Zarek work for Bolas too? I bet Tibalt also does then.

Naw he needs a BR walker. Main storyline Daretti?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I use my old mage night stuff as d&d minis - still getting some value from them.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Cernunnos posted:

I've just realized all Walkers are now valid Commanders.

Or will be when Ixalan releases rather.

Pending an update to the commander rules - commanders still need to be creatures unless otherwise specified. I look forward to it if it happens.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The new uncommon land could make UG merfolk viable but needs a really killer reason for it. A UG lord or whatnot. 2/2 for G ain't making the cut.

The new legend is great too. Not too many circumstances where I would want Kira over it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Hmm yes, the 2/2 legendary with no flying and worse ability, but same CMC is totally better than Kira because sometimes it's a 3/3 or even a 4/4 :jerkbag: Any time you would want to use Kopala, the only reason you shouldn't be using Kira is because you're too poor to. This set is going to have zero worthwhile Merfolk for Modern and it's going to make me loving miserable until the next set

Can you Vapor Snag your dudes with Kira out? Is Kira unblockable 90% of the time? This guy is a good alternative.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Edit: ^^^ Does Ixalan have goats?

Trading Post would be a flavorful reprint for the set!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
What set are those lands from? The new Un-set?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I just scrubbed out at a modern 5K here in T.O. But made back the entry fee comboing out commander pod side events with Gitrog Monster.

Good day is a good day!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I backed the John Avon un-art playmat kickstarter so I'll be using beautiful land art playmats moving forward.

For now I'm still using my Magic Origins Champion mat. I also have a half dozen "loaner" mats for when I bring cube to play with casuals.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

victrix posted:

I haven't played Magic in years, haven't played a paper ccg in years, no idea why I even checked this thread.

But I saw this post and ran to kickstarter with cash in hand...

only to find the campaign had concluded, there's no way to follow it, and the faq just points to backerkit which points back to the kickstarter :mad:

Help me give you money Jonn Avon, I want to give you money.

I think he'll be selling them on his site eventually as well - check there too.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If I have tapped a permanent it's at 45 degrees. If an outside source has tapped a permanent it's at 90 degrees. All clockwise of course.

If something is tapped and doesn't untap it's at 90 degrees counter clockwise.

E: lands belong in descending stacks of 3, matching. All unmatched lands are separated individually.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Some Numbers posted:

What. Why. Just...why.

For clarity of course. If i need to step back and determine what happened earlier in the turn or last turn or we're reconciling life totals - knowing if I attacked with something or if it was tapped, of if I should have an untapped land or not is very clear.

Its easy enough to do and doesn't always need to be done but adds some clarity for players, judges, etc.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

So whats better Anti Storm tech in Affinity? Rule of Law or Thalia?

Thalia + Eidolon of Rhetoric

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
That hook is a far cry from my favourite card ever, Grafted Wargear.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Got to draft Unstable tonight and boy howdy is it a fun experience!

Played 4-color good stuff with Grusilda, X, and the squirrel link guy and a bunch of contraptions. I discovered Grusilda can grab creatures from any graveyard - does not have to be in your game!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

anglachel posted:

I'm kinda curious if the Vampire lord and the other 2 drop (the 1 that gets counters when you lose life the prior turn), will make vampires in Modern the same tier as Goblins or maybe even Merfolk.

I dont think Modern Merfolk wants the UG lord. But maybe there's a totally sweet UG build of Merfolk I'm just not seeing. I mean 12 two mana lords seems kinda relevant. What other payoffs are there for Merfolk adding green? Any particular sweet sideboard tech they gain?

UG merfolk gets a little lower to the ground with some more aggressive guys. The issue is UG drops one of your big finishers in Master of Waves.

This UG lord could be a fine replacement for Reejery in those builds however, and allows you to keep Vial on 2 forever.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

InterrupterJones posted:

Thought-Knot Seer doesn't immediately win the game when it hits the battlefield.

TKS doesn’t cost 4.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I like Rothfus as a personality most of the time but not a writer. I love the semicolon; their use is crucial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hoping for the filterlands. They need a reprint bad.

I’ll take another enemy fetch reprint too.