Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

So the same apply to Sacred Cat, regardless of picking up Regal Caracal? *Or is that a different story because of lifelink and embalm?

Sacred Cat's actually maybe okay even without other synergies, just because of embalm. How good Sacred Cat is is going to be a really good indicator of how good embalm is overall; it's definitely not worth a card just on its face, but the fact that you can get another Sacred Cat out of it is *maybe* enough to get it there. It'll never be better than 'okay', but it does have the potential to get that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Nobody knows what's good in terms of new mechanics until they've gotten to play it. Embalm is a mechanic people only *theoretically* understand because its a new mechanic.

We have, however, seen a fair number of similar mechanics (flashback and unearth in particular), enough that we've got a frame of reference for how good being able to cast a card out of your graveyard is (it is very good almost regardless of what the actual card does). If embalm turns out poorly it's because we've radically misjudged the overall shape of the format, not the mechanic itself. Which is possible, but unlikely.

Basically yes, it's a matter of having similar things before.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Hazoret has my vote for best AKH card that people are still sleeping on. Its been good everywhere I've tested it. It's an insanely gamebreaking topdeck

Yeah, I've only played against it in limited, but seeing Hazoret come down on the other side of the table is a huge "oh, gently caress" moment. Once she's on she basically never turns off, she's indestructible so that gets around most removal (and the removal that exiles isn't really putting you up on the Hazoret player), and even if you have infinite chump blocks she just throws cards at your face until you die.

I feel like this is one of those instances like Walking Ballista where Cube players note a card before most constructed players do.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Basically ask yourself if you'd play Spring, ignoring Mind. Mind is upside that makes it a better card, but not by so much that it should really weigh into your evaluation.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

AceClown posted:

First match at SCG is Mardu V's B/W control with Approach as win-con

Edit: Meant U/W, sorry

And Approach gets there in g1! Praise the sun!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I hope they get rid of the black border and just print art all the way to the edge. If Invocations are legal with a glittering gold top edge, it should be find to print borderless cards.

Legality isn't the problem there, it's that then you'd have no margin of error at all for cutting the cards correctly. You'd see all sorts of horrible art bleed. You already see cards that are noticeably off-center, but because of the border there isn't anything visible from other cards.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Alaan posted:

It really only became an issue with special inserts. A foil valuable plus a regular valuable could happen but it would never get close to the value of Force+potential pricy foil or something.

I don't think you can get a normal foil in the same pack as an invocation/masterpiece/expedition/whathaveyou

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The most impressive thing about the new un-set is that Maro made it this long keeping it secret without exploding in a burst of enthusiasm. He's been keeping it under wraps for ages on Blogatog, and it's a pretty common question that he was getting.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Chandra's Defeat
R
Instant
Chandra's Defeat deals 5 damage to target red creature or red planeswalker. If it was a Chandra planeswalker, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.

Well drat. That's same serious removal right there. One mana five damage, instant speed?

Edit: red only, never mind.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I gotta say. The invocations really sucked. From their looking like complete poo poo to not having any real theme that made sense. There were just WAY too many of them too.

Counterpoint: Hazoret the Pervert is great.

That said, yeah. They should have either gone in harder on the egypt theme with the actual art being hieroglyphic-y, or they should have reduced the frame a lot to give that great art space to breathe, and there should have been fewer of them. They do look way better in person than they do online, though (still not great, but a lot better)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

You've paid 9 mana to create the first Zombie....

You've paid 5 mana for a 5/5 with considerable upside. You then pay 4 mana and no cards for a 4/4 that likely has text. If the base card was like, an enchantment, then sure, but disregarding the fact that you're getting a creature for your initial mana investment is disingenuous.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'd scoop, unless I have something at stake beyond just an entry fee. My goal is to play magic, not to angle-shoot.

If it was like an online PTQ or something... If it's the difference between me winning the match or not and they're trying to combo with that little time, then yes, I'll make them play it out, because time management is part of playing MTGO on that level, and they clearly haven't been doing it very well.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'd say it's better. Monarch is a fantastic mechanic for multiplayer, much better than dethrone was. Draft the B/W monarch deck and laugh from behind your wall of Garrulous Sycophants.

Make sure you grab a Burger King crown or something, though, it makes it like ten times as satisfying.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

My signature Kid Magic bomb was Laquatus's Champion. Which, to be fair, is a pretty good card.

Definitely a lot better when you and all your friends think Regenerate means "Return from the graveyard to the battlefield", though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

They're both white women!

The only Chandra I've met was a white woman so :shrug:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

3-0ed my first draft of the format on the back of G/B midrange, with a Torment of Hailfire for spice. It feels like a much slower format than Amonkhet was.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Gyshall posted:

*** limited is starting to be verybad just FYI

Limited has been pretty good for a while though? Amonkhet wasn't the greatest, but I wouldn't call it *bad*; I had fun drafting it right up until the end. The last draft formats I'd actually call bad would be BFZ block.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Side event haul of a box+27 packs from two events :toot:

Team Sealed was neat, but our pool kind of sucked, we didn't do too hot. But Box Sealed 2HG is some real nuttiness--we were fortunate enough to open two Torment of Hailfire--that card is just so much better than literally anything else you can be doing in 2HG--my deck was pretty much just ramp (including Hour of Promise), Hailfires, a pair of Razaketh's Rites to find Hailfires, and a Liliana, and the other deck was removal and counterspells. We had creatures, but they just mattered so little overall. We only dropped one round to me flooding out and not finding a single Hailfire or tutor in 20 cards. It's actually really mentally taxing to build with a full box, tough, because you'll have like 35 great cards in your deck and now you need to make 12 cuts from stuff that's normally auto-include.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Alms Collector is neat, but I kind of wish it was a 2-mana 2/2, because I feel like that would wreck in Death and Taxes. Go ahead, Brainstorm. Make my day.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That's one unlucky guy there. Though he does seem to keep surviving, at least.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. Everyone needs to watch Seth's game one of this match using the R/G Hollow Vine deck.

I like Saffron Olive, but not as much as I like watching him get outjanked.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Frozen_flame posted:

Mairsil eating an Aetherling and a Gilded Lotus is infinite mana yeah? Then exile Staff of Domination and go nuts.

His abilities are only once per turn.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I love all of the Magus cards, and this is no exception. I especially like how you've got wizards out there whose big spell is just one of these iconic effects--it helps to sell the players/planeswalkers as being really uniquely powerful.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tainen posted:

This is probably really bad but I like the design

https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895712418059485184

At the very least, this is really neat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think it's a bigger sin for a format to have an unplayable color than it is for the format to be too fast. Triple Zendikar and Triple Amonkhet weren't fantastic, but they weren't stinkers on the level of Battle for Zendikar and Avacyn Restored.

God, Avacyn Restored was just the worst.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

*ACTUALLY* I self identity as a woman so I think you'll find that I deserve that play mat and furthermore *fart noises*

:chloe:

Not sure you're saying what you really want to be saying here.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/902168905787076611

funny how leaking the regular rare sheet didn't clue us in at all that there could be a DFC sheet

This card is perfect. Just perfect. There is not a single aspect of this card that I am not in love with.

Especially that frame and art on the back half, unf.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Am I crazy for thinking that Revel in Riches might actually be kind of good? Obviously it remains to be seen how easy it is to get treasure, but I feel like with Treasure Map, the treasure that Revel itself gives you, and just a few other cards that it'd be pretty doable.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Who is Amaz, and why does the name seem familiar?

He's a popular Hearthstone streamer.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really dig all of these transform cards. I can't vouch for how good any of them are, but they're all very aesthetically pleasing, both in art and overall design.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Well, drat. That looks good. Two mana, get some scrying out of it, then flip it and have basically Impulse on a land for the rest of the game.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

He's a pretentious, smug prick and him getting owned by Bolas and send to the mutliverse equivalent of the Shadow Realm was the best.

He's not, really--a lot of this is from early on when they basically gave him a bunch of leftover Ertai quotes. His actual character is a bit dull, but the issue is more how often he's been put at the forefront than it is anything about his actual character.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

His explanation is a bit awkwardly worded. If I give Hexproof to my own creature, I can still target it, my opponent can't. If I give Hexproof to an opponent's creature, it doesn't care that I'm the one that gave it Hexproof, it just sees that it's Hexproof now, so only its controller can target it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Highlight of 2.33 prereleases (midnight was cancelled partway through due to a carjacker crashing and causing a gas leak in the area so we had to evacuate) was definitely when my opponent Hostage Taker-ed my Wanted Scoundrels, so I took his Hostage Taker hostage with my Hostage Taker, and then using *his* Hostage Taker to steal his Storm Fleet Arsonist.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Drafted B/W Vampires this past Saturday and went 3-0. Going into the set, I thought they were going to be terrible because its creatures are generally small and there isn't really a mass pump spell--the white uncommon one is just +1/+1, and the red one is also uncommon. It turns out, though, that despite throwing out a bunch of tokens, it's not really a traditional go-wide deck. Between Legion Conquistador (who is surprisingly quite good), the amount of lifelink you have, and the 5-drop 3/3 that gives a Vampire +2/+0 every combat, you can actually attrition out a lot of decks by swinging in with a moderately-pumped creature every turn.

I think the main thing I really didn't spot going in is that there really isn't a smooth progression in creature size in this format--things are either small or they're big. Once you start going larger than a 3/3, you're pretty much just dealing with Dinosaurs.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I know it's only been a few times in a new format but what the gently caress do you call this? 0 creatures mainboarded, playsets of counterspells, card quality and quantity, a stupid-rear end 7-cmc wincon that works better when you make things take forever, optional land-based mill wincon, and 7 board wipes!

That's combo, and also not actually good.

That said, the post your quoting is somehow forgetting both Sphinx's Revelation and Drownyard Control, and doesn't consider the Torrential Gearhulk/Energy lists control either, which is ????.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ok I don't know enough about Ixalan standard to say if it's good or not, but that is a purebred control deck that uses Approach of the Second Sun as a wincon that rewards it for hiding in a corner and throwing eggs at anyone who comes close. It's control, gently caress you.

You're right about one thing, though, the guy's conditions must be extremely arbitrary or 100% based on the existence of planeswalkers to be discounting everything since Time Sprial.

I was wrong, I thought you were posting the dumb New Horizons deck, I should have given it a closer look.

That's a control deck, alright (also probably not good, but hey!)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

yeah but it's not "real magic".

I hate that argument.

I mean, it isn't. That's why dredge is so cool, it basically goes at the whole game backwards.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Quick question about DFC's and drafting ahead of FNM:

In my last event the TO stated we are required to "announce" when we draft a DFC. I couldn't find anything to this effect, rather you just have to put it clearly visible either side up in the top of your draft pile.

If I open or get passed a Legion's Landing, frex, it's a strong pull to Vampires, but I'd rather not plant the flag quite as literally on the card art-- any more than I have to.

You have to announce when you *open* a DFC, but not when you draft it.

That said, it's to your benefit that people near you see you plant that particular flag--it means they'll move away from that color because they know it won't be open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What it's really missing is Jaddi Lifestrider