Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

why do the brits get their own election thread separate from the euro election thread? doesnt seem right
anglo arrogance, camarade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

lmao that twitter account:

ExLab
@exlabourite
Take some time to watch Christopher Hitchens on YouTube. It will be time well spent.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/23/tony-blair-vote-tory-or-lib-dem-where-they-are-open-minded-on-brexit

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jose posted:

i woudln't put it past the PLP to start mass resignations from the cabinet and a l;eadership challenge even if labour somehow got a majority
purge purge purge purge

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

hot take: if corbyn supporters stopped worshipping the ussr and communism normal people would be more likely to vote for him
how would you know what normal people would do

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Helsing posted:

The contemporary press actually is garbage though so despite all those sick burns on the tankies you still sound like a retard for defending the status quo
this is true. the fact of the matter is that the newspaper industry is inherently broken to the point where it doesn't even work in theory. if you accept the premise that a healthy democracy needs a free, varied and versatile press, leaving it in the hand of the free market seems like A Bad Idea.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

:whitewater:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

look at these sad freaks

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

these sad, pathetic freaks

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

sad, pathetic, ugly, broken freaks

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

they're practically mps already ! !

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bryter posted:

The Oxford guy now works for NBC and has given up on trying to hide his Yorkshire accent

:chanpop:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i also found a daily mail article about that documentary which included the line:

quote:

So Cooke leaked to the student newspaper lurid details of student Tories singing Nazi songs, and then caused the national press to get involved.

But there's a problem with this story. The singing of Nazi songs by two or three people - obviously not real Tories - actually occurred in Michaelmas 2010.

lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

lol why would they send him there? how loving stupid are they?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

maybe he's actually serious about the wonders of modern technology and that was a melenchon-esque hologram.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they're afraid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe6017JwPw

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i think having a net worth of 915k is still a lot

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

of all the d&d/cspam twin threads, this one is probably the only cspam one that's substantially worse than the d&d one and it's clearly because of the presence of the perfidious yanquis and canucks. it's as if smearing their shitposts all over the walls of the millions of uspol threads isn't enough

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's very sad

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

ok cool Theresa May president of UK now what
almost lich queen

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

that loving monster

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

now corbyn has defeated baloogan as well. is there anything the man can't do? no.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

It's also worth noting that old social democratic parties in Europe are all incredibly rigid and hierarchical. Labour had gotten used to the way things went in the previous decades, everyone knew the rules and what to expect. There were turns and orders and steps to take. Most of Corbyn's career has been spent on the sidelines of the Labour party, a corner that was just roundly ignored. See the Blair quote about him during the nineties. What Corbyn essentially did by appealing to the membership was cut in line and mess up a lot of plans. Not only did he prevent the Next In Line from getting a shot at the big leagues, he also rendered the whole old process of getting ahead within the party useless - all those influential party members, kingmakers, etc felt the power slip from their fingers.

And not only did he get in without playing by the rules, he most likely changed the way the entire game was played. Now they too have to appeal to the public, now they have to shift to the left, now they have to come out of the back offices and face the sunshine. Can't imagine the past pillars of the party being too happy about that.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

corbyn good, but venezuela and russia bad imo
what about cuba tho?

*keeps eye on left-o-meter*

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dreylad posted:

That does a lot to explain exactly why people are flipping the gently caress out at Corbyn, but are all too cowardly to explicitly say why. Thanks.
It was the giant, unspoken truth behind Owen Smith's "All of Corbyn's policies but without Corbyn" platform during the leadership elections. That's not to say that Smith actually believed in what he was selling - the point is that he and many others in the party will peddle whatever sells. They're the purest of technocrats, worried mainly about their careers, saying whatever they feel they need to say to get ahead. And now Corbyn's taken that from them.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

the only explanation is that if we stop they'll launch literal terror campaigns against us
these terror campaigns seem like effective ways of reaching your political goals.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Their rowdy legislature is great. You'd think we'd have that in America since we're known for being rude and loud, but no, it's all halfhearted platitudes in a silent chamber. A church service.
i too long for my legislature to finally complete its transformation into a bunch of rowdy children

you may think mps behaving like this is bad, pathetic and just another demonstration of the toxic culture of the british upper classes permeating politics

but then you'd be wrong

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/891628287625220096

lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the eu is terrible, but brexit is somehow worse.

kudos on managing that, really.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*looking down from the flaming hellpits of europe*

wow, glad im not british right now. poor souls.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

glad im not british ever, btw

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

yes, which makes my post all the more insulting

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ben body slam jacobs

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is a little bit apples to oranges since London is bigger than any of those other cities, but even if it's say, Birmingham to Leeds, the price is still three times the average.
why does city size matter?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Stations in big cities charge higher fares.
lol nice. not here in belgium tho which i guess is another advantage nationalised railways have on private train thunderdomes like they have in britain.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jose posted:

hamprince has watched the total failure of centrist neoliberal politics everywhere and still thinks it can work
he flutters from national politics thread to national politics thread in hopes of finding one where centrist neoliberals aren't getting brutally owned and it's really funny to see

this is all extremely good

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I already live in 1 my dude :canada:
would your opinions be less tedious if you expressed them through the medium of socks, i wonder :thunk:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

alsothere posted:

What's with internet canadians being reactionary weirdos obsessed with other countries' politics??
i gotta speak up for all the weirdos obsessed with other countries' politics here

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what’s the british version of a suck zone
the pig's head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the point isn't that she should've received a harsher sentence - she was treated fairly. it's not that the judge looked at her and thought 'she's white and smart, let's give her a pass.' but if she hadn't been white or smart/"promising" or whatever, that judge was far less likely to have been so fair and understanding.