Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

What's a good way to make some money from all the Brexit idiocy as a EU citizen? I'm mainly looking to make enough money so that I don't have to work for the rest of my life

In ascending order of profitability: Consulting work for corporates on how to best flee the UK to other tax havens, scavenging instructor, ferry-sans-ferry entrepreneurship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Glenn Quebec posted:

I do talk poo poo about the monarchy but corporate America is super scary. I am part of the problem. Trump's Davos overlords are upset with him. I'm sure a cabal of managing directors are sitting in a circle wearing True Detective Season 1 hillbilly animal skull costumes.

Pretty sure there is a significant overlap between the folks who got rich while proclaiming themselves the nobility and the folks who are rich now because they are *checks dictionary* job creators.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Going back to this. I'm not sure how it logically follows that just because the legislative work hasn't been done to make Brexit law, that necessarily means it's "cancelled." If the deadline for Brexit comes and there's no deal, then the EU shuts its doors.

Lots of people are in serious denial that anybody but parliament and/or the hag queen could possibly have their own say in the matter.

Not to mention that like 25 percent think No Deal means Remain.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jose posted:

every single person interviewed in this article is over 50

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol imagine if the UK was actually led by young people

Jacob Reese-Mogg is under 50.

*nervously eyes monkey paw*

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the "no deal is a trojan horse to privatize everything" theory significantly underestimates how disastrous no deal will be to almost every facet of the british economy and to the electoral fortunes of the party responsible, imo

It makes more sense if you differentiate between the political party responsible as its own entity and the people acting within that party. The long-term interests of the former do not need to align with the individual interests of the latter, if the latter just want to cash out. (Similar to how certain private equity firms can act when looking towards divestment of a company.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bryter posted:

The UK can also effectively unilaterally extend the deadline by revoking article 50 and immediately invoking it again.

They should totally try that.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
French is also the main working language of the ECJ (which on individual cases gets supplemented by the langauge of the Member State concerned).

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It's is not an amendment to the deal.

It is a rejection of the current deal that acts as a counter-offer.

I'm not sure the MPs grasp the difference.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

CactusWeasle posted:

N / Brady passes 317-301, so this very clearly means, um,

Springfield's getting a monorail :dance:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Nothing in the Magna Charta says a dog can't be prime minister.

And he would probably be about as successful in re-negotiating the backstop.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
"Blitz Spirit", I shout in defiance as the avalanche of sheep carcasses and pig shits engulfes my quaint English village burying us all under the weight of our huge success against the barmy technocrats from Brussels.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Good thing Clean Break Brexit will end the EU's ban on selling live leeches then.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Quicksilver6 posted:

i mean, just don’t do it

Why do you hate democracy? You hatred of democracy saddens our beloved monarch. :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, Lexiters.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

marktheando posted:

It’s going to be no deal isn’t it.

Clean Deal Brexit seems to be what businesses and other countries seem to prepare for as the most likely case now, while at the end of last year they still, probably unreasonably, assumed a withdrawal agreement and transition phase could be reached prior to 29 March 2019. And at least anecdotally the briefings at my employer (big4 tax services) now base everything around Clean Deal Brexit.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

marktheando posted:

What does Clean Deal Brexit mean? No deal?

I seem to have been unable to decide on whether to call it Clean Break Brexit or No Deal Brexit. Guess the Brexit brainworms are starting to affect me as well. :negative:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hentai Jihadist posted:

ah gently caress, if theyr rebranding no deal brexit to sound good we're totally hosed

Nah, I think they stopped using that term already. My guess is that they prefer the ambiguity of "No deal" (i.e. some people thinking that it means nothing changes) to the more understandable and less spinnable "Clean Break Brexit".

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
One thing that a hard brexit hopefully clarifies for the few remaining lexiters: A lot of poo poo that you blame on the EU (i.e. austerity, labour law situations, state aid) isn't actually an EU issue but an issue of the UK's very own kind of conservative bullshit.

Which should have been blindingly obvious even before Brexit, because somehow a lot of the stuff that gets blamed on the EU isn't a thing in the other Member States.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It's pretty reassuring for a hard Brexit that May can't be contested intra-party until quite a while after Brexit, so it is unlikely that the Tories can change course.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If only they still had a royal yacht for this kind of thing. :ohdear:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Why do right-wing idiots almost always go for "valorous defeats" when invoking military traditions? Aren't there at least some victories of English forces throughout history?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Subjunctive posted:

which are your three top ringing English victories?

Agincourt, Spanish Armada and, uh, the Battle of Bywater, I guess?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vitamin P posted:

what happened in 2015

Show me on the bank statement where Corbyn nationalized you.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

just adorably stupid

It truly was the Brexit that is right for Britain.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Heavy_D posted:

gently caress you 8/10 countdown is far superior to the original format and its stupid title is the albatross around its neck

I'm sorry, but Countdown was originally a French television format, so we have to put down the entire cast come Brexit. C'est le loi. :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
To somebody more familiar with UK parliamentary procedure, would it theoretically have been possible for May to tie the deal to a VONC in a way that refusing the deal would at the same time constitute a VONC?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

how do you “showboat” as a finance minister?

Calling the Swiss "Indians" who will soon feel the wrath of German "cavalry" and become a media darling for being tough on tax evaders.

Then do not actually do anything meaningful and ignore everybody who is literally handing you a smoking gun labelled cum-ex.

(German SPD, btw)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you know finance ministers can only actually do what their government directs them to. he wasn’t appointed financial dictator.

In my particular example the finance minister in question was part of the government and was not hindered by anything but his own ineptitude.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
In the exciting world of No Food Control Brexits, you'll never run out of "Chicken".

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

twoday posted:

:qq: it belongs in a museum :qq:

(in England)

England belongs in a mausoleum.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Show me on the wallet where you want your MEP salary to continue.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So that's why the US trade agreement was pushed so hard.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I wanted to make a joke about no Tory being part of the welfare committee, but apparently y'all call it the "Committee of Public Safety" in English. :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I just assume that everybody who wants to celebrate Britain, British independence or Britan first uses those phrases because their fascist asses arses would be laughed out of the room even faster if they called for English supremacy by name.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Quicksilver6 posted:

Wtf is Dunkirk Spirit anyways

I think it's a Generation Y think about expecting a prize just for playing.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

freckle posted:

doesnt matter how you prepare pork

*in extremely Catholic voice* If you wrap meat in a dumpling, it stops being meat.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
My understanding is that the Dutch cusine consists entirely of French fries and liquorice.

So still a step up from the English.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
After Brexit Breaks the Back of the Britbeast we can finally speaking English as it was supposed to be spoken. *sound of J Pop getting louder*

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Farm Frenzy posted:

https://twitter.com/graceblakeley/status/1096348826846273541 ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Amend the Withdrawal Agreement to place scuttling charges on the island and sink England to the ground of the moutherfucking sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

:hundi: