Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

business hammocks posted:

Wait, what happened? That just looks like thunderfoot telling off Carl. Is there some tide turning against Carl because the one single youtube reacto who qualifies as his elder is criticizing him?

no but i always liked thunderfoot in the past so i hope he realizes that these people are lovely and awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heretic Void posted:

I think the Skeptic Feminist thing really pissed tfoot off enough to make the rational shitlords a new target for him, especially Carl.

Honestly, I wonder how he never realized these were the kind of whiny people he appealed to in the first place.

unfortunately, me at one point...

fun. yeah, they will probably all turn on each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kjoery posted:

Not sure if this gem has been posted, but one skeptic posted a pretty incredibly terrible review of Fury Road, while we're on the topic. It seems like the more anime a skeptic is, the more thin-skinned and prone to projection they become:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyzNP8IUs2g

You see, immortan joe was actually the good guy - bringing order and civilization to the wastes. Max was actually the antagonist, tying to destroy the great society that this Captain Of Industry had forged. Also, in real life the sex slaves would've been grateful for their enslavement and treatment as breeders, and their rebellion was extremely unrealistic:

Honestly, the entire comments section is a goldmine of weird anime children celebrating the glory of fascism and complaining about women.

Also, the amount of love that the totally-not-a-community of skeptics is throwing towards Laci now that she's Converted is hilarious - hell, even bearing is giving her shoulder pats:

Welcome to the Skeptic Community, look at how good and kind and inclusive we are, and look at how good and important you are now that you have Joined Us. I wonder how long it'll be until Laci begins "Ironically" calling people cucks, considering how many dogwhistles she's already adopted, aha.

how? it was a lovely despotic regime that only ran because joe had the manpower(a bunch of cancer ridden brainwashed kids) and people were afraid of him because he used to be a super powerful fighter/warlord. and it was only gone last til he died anyway. i doubt his sons could run it. its why he was trying to rape up an heir.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kjoery posted:

oh yea, i know. immortan joe's facist regieme being a Good Thing was the argument that the anime Skeptic in the video was making. also a ton of commenters can be found fawning over Joe and talking about how great it'd be one of his sex slaves

oh i know you know. i am just a weird nerd who is making GBS threads on their ideas from a nerd/history nerd perspective. i mean me and my friends play devils advocate for all kinds of awful fictional/historical people. then again, i dont think the ideas are good. i just find them interesting. kinda like reading about all the insane nazi race science and how amusling awful the imperium of man is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Cults normally have a charismatic and often intelligent leader, so I don't think they'd meet the definition.

(That wasn't just an attempt to sikk burn the rationalists, I really don't think their internal structure is organized enough to be a cult.)

yeah. plus the entire idea(theoretically) goes against cult thinking.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kjoery posted:

on the other hand, the sketpics have proven themselves time and time again to embody the exact opposite of what they claim to be (at least when it comes to political stuff; can't speak on their videos re: religion or science)

thats why i added theoretically. it sucks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

That guy is a loving scumbag even compared to the average anime nazi or alt-right youtuber.

yeah. also i feel like he has never even seen any of the other mad max films.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4BZtFgtCuHUt0p8J-XENiA/videos

yeah. most of its dumb poo poo. really doesnt like korra.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kjoery posted:

honestly, i don't think you need to worry about poisioning the well with a viewerbase of this:

the shirtless trench coat was a sign. i do wish he'd wear a hat to complete the look, though

poo poo like this makes me want to drink but as history major, i should have seen this poo poo coming. once awful pieces of poo poo/events start receding from living memory, it becomes more "acceptable" to defend them. the only reason it took so long for hitler was because of the outrightness of his awful actions and because more importantly, he was a idiot gently caress up who was crushed under 5 years and had no good or positive ideas.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's like ronnie raygun.

yeah sorta. but ronnie knew how to "hide" his awfulness and god extremely lucky with international events(USSR imploading etc.)

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As a copyeditor, it's "receding."

fixed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

true, dubya is the better example.

sorta too. but dubya only looks "good' because trump is worse and because the media jerks of to the west wing ideal of political parity.

Mr Interweb posted:

:hfive:

Sup fellow history major

same to you. hoping to use my minor in homeland to get a job somewhere, if not its mesuem/national park work forever. :(

khwarezm posted:

Mary Sue is sort of a loose term but before I saw the film I thought he was just a maths genius who came from a bad background but in actuality Hunting is such a ridiculous character I couldn't believe it was a film people took seriously. He's smart in a way that sounds like it was written by a high-schooler, not just a maths genius, but also a history genius, a literature genius, a philosophy genius, a legal genius, any discipline you throw at him and he's at least on the level of the professionals in those fields he's talking too at the ripe old age of twenty. He has tons of friends and most people seem to think he's the tits in short order, and those who don't he destroys with his rapier wit, prompting 1997 Minnie Driver to start sleeping with him. And of course he's got a bodybuilder's abs to kick you rear end in fight if he needs too along with Matt Damon's cute face, regardless of hair. And to top it all off he's played by Matt Damon from a script he wrote himself along with Affleck, I know that he's meant to have problems stemming from abuse but they serve to make him seem more vulnerable and deep and result from difficulties he had no control over, which is a common thing about Mary Sue's too.

Just really feels like the quintessential Mary Sue to me!

yeah mary sue/gary stu/whatever is pretty much that. magicaly perfect characters who are great at everything and never fail. rey never struck me as one, my only issue with her is she is kinda flat character wise, while finn sorta has a arc and poe is wedge on steroids. i honestly found kylo/ben the most interesting because he is basicaly inverse darth vader and anakin done right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kjoery posted:

while authoritarian conservatives are a dime a dozen in my experience, i've met very few leftists with a "the ends justify the means" philosophy - think of all the nerd media we've consumed that have taught us the intricacies of complex moral dilemmas with no simple solution. what would Jean Luc Picard do???

but hey, maybe this political climate will iron out all those pesky virtues. ive been pretty conflicted myself, as of late.

i think its partially because its a less black and white world view at least to an extent(i know of plenty of liberals who would see half the country burn so they could jerk of to technocratic "enlightened" state, but most of those people are just twitter assholes) the issue is real life rearly has simple solutions even if the right choice should be simple.

Kjoery posted:

i think chapo was pretty on point when they identified shows like The West Wing to be everything that's wrong with the liberal perception on how politics works

conservatives don't actually care for Sorkin's dumb rules, if you own them with Reason and Logic, they're not going to say "oh, well, ya got me" - they're going to deflect and filibuster. compromising on one bill won't mean that you'll gain ground in others, because they don't care. this applies to the tactics the Skeptics employ as well - intellectual honesty means very little to them, as long as it means they can "Win". people who strive to maintain convictions and Play By The Rules are incredibly disadvantaged against such tactics.

yeah pretty much. the show is just about jerking off to procedure and authority and all the pomp and ritual while having no real political opinions of there own but only caring about how "intelgently and whitty" the arguments are. i mean gently caress, game of thrones has more realistic politics then west wing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I like boogie, honestly sad he took such a dumb stance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really just takes one thing to break someone's brain. my brother was a totally normal and intelligent dude and his long time gf hosed him over incredibly hard (and she really did isn't just sour graps on his end) and he never recovered from it and it sent him down a dark path and now i'm pretty sure he's full on alt right. he once said i was virtue signalling and my mom was telling me he once got made when she said trump is a stupid person. i literally can't visit my parents if he's home because he goes into a rage due to cognitive dissonance.

yeah, i know a few people like that too. it sucks.

OwlFancier posted:

So it's weird to me that people my age would grow up to be either misogynists or committed racists.

because its the new counter culture(i am not defending that poo poo by saying it like that either) its a "gently caress you, mom and dad and society" deal. we are living in the late 60s all over again except instead Haight-Ashbury and woodstock and free love, its bunch of fat nazis because "memes".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

And now liberals have assumed the role of the pearl clutching morality police, so the dynamic is reversed. (Not saying that label is fair, just how it's perceived to be playing out)

I mean look at the insistence of Milo that being right-wing is Punk now, it's taking that counter-culture that loved transgression, post-modernism, and irony and turning it into it's own thing. Those were so squarely described as "left-wing" ideas I don't think anyone expected it to be adopted by some right-wing groups.

yeah pretty much. and some liberals fallen into that role, but mostly its limited by the sensitive whining of the alt right.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's dumb because right wingers are still the biggest snowflakes and pearl clutchers. wahhhh they put trump in a play i don't understand the point of. wahhhh the football player took a knee because black people get hosed over by the police. wahhhh blue lives matter!!!

pretty much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/8x9wyv/gamergate-feminism-cyberpunk-an-interview-with-the-last-night-designer

waypoint did a interview with the cyberpunk dude who has poo poo politics, was more interesting then i thought it would be, its why i will always love waypoint over polygon/verge.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Why wont people stop harassing game devs for their political beliefs?

ehh. the only time a publishers politics annoyed me was the devs from The Chinese Room because they make awful and pretentious walking sims(unlike good interesting ones like gone home) then openly insult and attack other devs(they compared quiet from MGS5 to nazi anti jewish propganda, yeah quiet was loving dumb, but not that bad, and they poo poo on cd project red a few times), sure critism is good, but they come off as bitter alot, so gently caress em. the only other game like that i hate is sunset, which had a cool as gently caress idea and ended up being total crap and pretentious as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZly6bW3UMk

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 27, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

amnesia 2 was an affront to god.

yeah. i like walking sims and weird stuff like that, the issue i have is people take the wrong lesson from gone home. gone home was good because it took the enviromental story telling from minervas den and told its story almost exclusivly that way. but instead people just focused on the progressive story/message. which is nice and good, but its not why the story was good, its how it was told.

so you get alot of these pretentious jackoffs like the sunset devs and the chinese room who just throw their college 101 course writing at you while making you walk around instead allowing the player to put together the story themselves, but these fuckers are too lazy for that and are afraid if they dont scream their message at you, you will not learn a lesson or some poo poo. its not that the politics are bad, its just they are terrible story tellers.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 27, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA

Today is a good day for the non-terrible YT intellectual community.

yeah him and ellis are the best at this stuff. they explain stuff really well. on the video, skeptic is a idiot who like alot of the "rationalists" jerks off to the idea of "balance" and non political etc.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 1, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The concept of balance barely makes sense in a political concept anyway, it's entirely possible and indeed probable for political viewpoints to be wrong by any worthwhile definition.

well they have a west wing(show) mentality about it sorta. west wing wasnt about how liberal/left wing politics were right or not, it was about jerking off to balance and smart fact reciting and being about to use a turn of phrase with facts to verbaly defeat someone no matter what side it was. i get that alot from them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

The fact that the "rationals" or "skeptics" or whatever the hell they call themselves, like Armoured Skeptic have a huge right-wing following, despite believing in climate change proves that conservatives care more about making GBS threads on women and minorities than they do anything else.It's why I always laugh at someone like David Rubin claiming he's part of "the left" because he believes in raising the minimum wage (by like 50 cents).

well yeah thats always been the case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly the most humanizing information I've ever received about Anita Sarkeesian is that she walked a strange lump of a man over to a chair and held his hand and talked him through a panic attack when she realized he wasn't able to withstand direct criticism.

This. Also boogie isn't a bad guy, just overly optimistic about people's beliefs/motives and a idiot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

As much as I'd like to hear his arguments, I'm afraid it's gonna boil down to "hey, Lucas was critical of Bush/Blair and that makes up for the failures on almost every cinematic and storytelling level".

pretty much. i am giant star wars fan, (a big enough one that i went to lucas ranch/ilm/lucasarts for make a wish like 12 or so years ago.) and was the "right age" for the prequels and i think the prequels blow rear end. i'll say i like some of the ship/alien/droid designs and asthtics and some of the ideas but the movies suck rear end as hole. the only good points are Ewan McGregor (who by 2 clearly doesn't give a gently caress and is winging it) and Ian McDiarmid because he is Ian McDiarmid. the story sucks and what parts/ideas that dont suck are either ruined by the acting or the lines. gently caress that poo poo. i like hbomber alot but he has poo poo taste. and "lol its against bush and blair/cheney" is a awful reason to like a movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Podracing scene was good also

true. i like all the inventive aliens and stuff. the issue is i was watching it and i realized that the movie was only half way over if that and it was gonna be like 45 minitues of trade deal talk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I used to just lose my poo poo at hbomb when he would defend Man of Steel or whatever, but I've reached a point where I appreciate people talking about things they're passionate about, even if it's impossible for me to share that passion. I'm already all-in on Lindsay Ellis teaching me about Transformers for a year. Not that she likes them, but there's a certain amount of passion there.

i thought she loved the cartoon/comics and hated the bay poo poo.

SteelMentor posted:

Lucas is best when he's allowed to make all his crazy aliens and do his worldbuilding crap, he needs to be kept far away from any plot and character writing though.

this.

OwlFancier posted:

The swordyfights were fun.

ehh. they had no emotion and went on for too long.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I agree overall but the most important duel of the PT was Anakin and Obi-Wan in ROTS and I feel it had plenty of emotion. The two actors put their heart and soul into that whole thing. There is so much raw emotion in every little detail, like how at one point during the sword duel Anakin starts just choking the poo poo out of Obi-Wan, or later on when he viciously kicks Obi and starts marching towards him in such a menacing "I will rip you apart" manner.

Also that music

Also as someone who never liked Boba Fett or got his crazy fans, I liked Jango. He even got his own fun little game I remember playing back in the day.

I defend very little about the PT but I don't think it was 100% bad.

On the other hand

I liked The Architect scene in Reloaded. So I'm just a bad person.

see i am mixed with the duel. if i had made it it would have been shorter and made them gently caress each other up more. like rey/finn and kylo fight, they actually hurt each other. glancing blows and poo poo. id want that. maybe anakin gets more and more hosed up through the fight and is basicaly running on adrenalin and hate alone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The Prequels are bad.

The asshats who unironically say the Empire are the heroes, the Rebellion are Space ISIS, and that the first movie should be remade from the POV of Tarkin are the actual worst.

yeah, pretty much. but i still find the empire neat and interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Was it Lindsey that talks about how Fight Club shows men who feel emasculated by corporate culture so they just recreate the same culture but seeped in masculine ideals?
I swear the antifems have Stockholm syndrome with the patriarchy. They're aware of how gender norms can work against them. But their response to being the dregs of society is to complain that they're not getting their proper turn at being the oppressor. They just recreate the things that make them miserable. Pick up artistry that makes them even more dateless. They're the wolves in captivity, but they put themselves in the cage trying to rule something anything. The alphas are the ones with the gall to hock their own bullshit to the suckers that think any of this applies outside of their idealogical playpen

It's what nagal said too. They think if they can recreate the old days they can enjoy the fruits of it. Which they probably wouldn't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That guy you knew who loved American History X

Idk I liked American history x. I thought it did a great job showing how a lot of hardcore bigots are created and how the whole lovely bigot groups work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Two schools of thought:

A)The Matt Christman. No such thing as moral consumption. Everything is evil and counter-revolutionary. Any time spent gaming is time you could spend protesting, chain smoking, or posting ironically.

B) The end game of leftism is shrinking time spent at work and growing time spent at home, pursuing hobbies, however trivial. Gaming is a hobby. The revolution needs to happen so i can play Civ all day.

pretty much. i like christman alot but his poo poo sometimes make my eyes roll hard. meanwhile he jerks off to every pretentious movie. he sounds like he legit wants a loving insect society sometimes. i mean i will take radicalbytes moralizing bullshit over that.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not as big of a fan of Hbomberguy's video game videos, because while the points he makes are reasonable enough he frequently treats things that are a matter of taste/opinion as if they're objectively good or bad.

he was right about fallout 3 and i sorta like that game despite it being crap . new vegas was 3 and is basicaly 3 but better.

Gamergate turned many into hardcore alt-righters. Hell 4chan was still mainly a libertarian board at heart before gamergate with certain boards like /co/ and /lit/ shifting to the right.

I don't know why but writing articles calling male gamers out for the actions of a minority of shitheads with too much time on their hands was not going to piss these people off.

sorta. i think they didnt help. but it was stupid that it ever got that big in the first place. then again i think gamer gate was going to happen regardless at some point and the quinn/ no more gamers reaction, lit the match. honestly at least from what i have seen/read, gamergate is kinda dead. i mean the targets are still targets but now its just part of broad alt right spectrum instead of focus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Buying a yacht will make you happy, a second yacht will not

yeah. i remeber a dollop episode about a lottery winner, he basicaly blew alot of the money on planes and boats and poo poo he didnt know how to use. honestly if i one. id probaly just expand the house i am in a bit and get a better tv and more pets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I feel like that's the product of being a boring person. If I had unlimited money, I'd be traveling, learning poo poo, having adventures and whatnot. I would never run out of stuff to do.

same. id marry my gf. give her mom and step dad and my parents better houses(both want to move) then travel the world learning about history, herping and funding lefty causes as well as help my gf with her animal rights issues. also better tv and infintie games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I liked Superbunnyhop, especially his video about the entire Sonic franchise because I had literally never in my life understood the appeal of Sonic the hedgehog and enjoy hearing from people that do. I am an inclusive gamer like that

yeah, he is honestly one of the best critics and makes pretty good reviews that i usualy agree with.

one of his best was the watch dogs review because he made a ton of great points where they hosed up and where it sorta worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RILVX9W3vRY

also his witcher and MGS retrospectives are amazing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Edible Hat posted:

What is Sargon of Akkad's philosophy anyway? Does he cite any philosophers during his videos (in a non-perfunctory manner)?

he doesnt have one, he may have at one time maybe(i never watched him before not to mention now) basicaly its whatever the cultural left does is bad, thats it, whether it be something good and smart or just some dumb tumblr/twitter hottake bullshit, its all bad to him with no nuance.

LanceHunter posted:

New Lindsay Ellis video is up, currently Patrons-only. The current title is "Pocahontas Was a Mistake (And Other Disney Hot Takes)". As much as her continuing obsession with Disney can be irksome, what else do you expect from a USC grad? The video does have some interesting discussion of cultural appropriation and colonialism.

She uses the neutral, academic definition of cultural appropriation as a launching point, which may getting her into hot water with some on the tumblr-left. It seems the current dialogue in that sphere is that "cultural appropriation" is any type of cultural appropriation that occurs between cultures with an uneven power dynamic, and and appropriation between cultures on an even power dynamic is instead "cultural exchange". So even though Ellis specifically talks about how that kind of different power dynamic between cultures can be the difference between appropriation being bad or just being shrug-worthy, the fact that she says the words "cultural appropriation is itself neutral" is probably gonna raise some hackles.

ehh, gently caress what the tumblr/twitter types think. i'll take Ellis's thought out ideas over some dipshits who think learning/sharing about different cultures is evil and bad. i guess i have a bit a hegel ideal that i think you can learn different ideas from cultures and use them if you give credit and use them positively.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zikan posted:

in other alt-right news Stefan Molyneux continues to own self

https://twitter.com/stefanmolyneux/status/886710167794061312

what? i still dont understand what this loving means.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jfood posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/143926/dirtbag-left-problem-dominance-politics

"At first they came for the comedians, and I honestly took no issue with that because I'm a terminally unfunny asswipe who finds pretty much everything 'problematic'..."

Holy poo poo, that was a terrible article, I love how jeet tries to spin the bend the knee line into hardcore sexism and etc. gently caress jeet.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 19, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Comedy should be ideologically correct.

Apparently that applies to every thing.

Ytlaya posted:

Man, Jeet Heer is really salty about that "bend the knee" thing. It's kinda funny, since mainstream Democrats have been acting that way to leftists (just in a more "polite" way, since they were comfortable in their dominance) since forever.

I don't really understand what point he's trying to make here. It makes sense to be angry about the stuff Republicans and moderate Democrats do, and I don't see how being friendly to such people helps anyone. The article also seems to make the mistake of assuming that something like Chapo is aimed at the general public as some sort of socialist advertisement, when it's obviously media intended for leftists (in the same way something like the Daily Show - which you might notice these people rarely complain about - is intended for liberals). The general idea that the issue with the alt-right is its ~attitude~ rather than its noxious and harmful ideology is also super dumb.

I don't really have much of an opinion on Chapo itself (I don't listen to it), but I don't see much harm with the current leftist attitude in the US; if anything, this is the most leftists have been able to influence national discourse in decades, so it clearly seems to be working better than whatever people were doing before!
It's cause jeet is liberal shill rear end in a top hat who like other stupid fucks who hide behind liberal "critical theory" type bullshit get super mad at phrases and various poo poo, people like him tend to hate game of thrones and stuff like that because it's problematic and to them, it's bad think to like it even while thinking critically. They think if something shows something like violence or rape or terrible politics and doesn't have a giant signe saying "THIS IS BAD", then it's endorsing it. "Bending the knee" isn't a problematic phrase and if you think it is your an idiot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Jeet has written comics criticism for the Hooded Utilitarian, this checks out

Seriously? How bad?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

1. The Ticking Bomb scenario never happens. Ever. At all. It's a hollywood fantasy. Every person who was ever involved in counterterrorism will tell you so. Just ask former FBI interrogator Jack Cloonan, a dude who helped locate Bin Laden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdNhwFqhyU
2. For a man who dismissed emotional and moral arguments against torture, he is awfully willing to apply them to justify torture in his time bomb scenario
3. "Opponents of torture will be quick to argue that confessions elicited by torture are notoriously unreliable. Given the foregoing, however, this objection seems to lack its usual force. Make these confessions as unreliable as you like—the chance that our interests will be advanced in any instance of torture need only equal the chance of such occasioned by the dropping of a single bomb. " is loving stupid and literally the opposite of reality. Harris is dismissing the single strongest point against torture: it doesn't work. We tried it time and time again and we got useless information that did not help US interests. Under pain (not the threat of pain, mind) people will say anything for the torture to stop. And rarely is it true.
4. Harris is equating killing soldiers on the battlefield with torturing POWs. I trust I don't have to explain the massive divide between two enemy combatants and a torture/victim scenario. Harris does not even set up his scenario honestly.
5. Harris assumes all radicals are 100% devoted to their cause. This is patently untrue as Jack Cloonan can once again confirm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCXnZUu3o1E Even the much-feared Bin Laden was a hypocrite. He lived in a fortified stronghold, not in a cave. And despite expecting celibacy from his followers, he lived with multiple wives and had absolute shittons of porn. People are people, and Harris is constantly trying to convince us they are not.
6. Harris is ignoring what precedent torture set for US foreign policy and how we are viewed by the rest of the world.
7. The reputation of the above is used by radicals to radicalize regular people and gain more membership, making their numbers grow. Harris' approach will just lead to more terrorism. You think they are afraid of the US's bluster? ISIL literally uses Trump's speeches in their ads to convince people to not escape to other countries.

all of this. in my homeland security classes(its minor now) they tell us point blank that its all a bunch of horse poo poo written by dumb gently caress conservatives for erotic fiction.

Visidan posted:

Lauren Southern had her welfare cut. I dunno if it's because she's a white supremacist or because she used it to do crimes but there you go

welfare welfare or patreon fund? either way good.

fallenturtle posted:

Have you guys seen any of Suit Yourself's videos? He seems to be an enormous jackass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Y0WX3bjz4

so he hosed around with SFM and instead of making hosed up porn or weird funny videos, he made stupid hateful bullshit. what a supreme gentlemen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I used to do intelligence history (Cold War mostly). Any interesting resources you can share?

Most of it isn't as interesting book wise as your thinking. I have done the intro class and the FEMA class Terrorism is next and then its intelligence. Most of it is just text books, I'll dig them out and give you the names though. Also this is at a small state school and a small minor. I'd love to get a job in some IC/DHS org but I'll probably end up doing a museum job like I am now.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, as I've said before Carl isn't just dumb in a "bad opinions" way, but he actually comes off as being genuinely stupid in an "ability to reason and solve problems" sense. But a bunch of young Americans hear him and think "so fuckin intellectual man..." because of his accent.

This. Carl knows big words and some basic ideas and a passing knowledge of ancient history and a accent and knows how to ramble for hours. He is a sophist at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Thanks. Not sure if DHS requires some sort of prior LEO experience (I guess that depends on the role you're going for).

Apparently not. My major is history and my original minor was library science( I hated it. A lot) but dhs is great. The new teacher is liberal boarding on socialist and talks about his time in dea and federal prosecution. Then he talks about how trump and the GOP should be all shot for treason.

• Locked thread