Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

boner confessor posted:

the internet is pretty outraged about this. dont click this video if you dont want to see disgusting, broken adults emotionally and physically abusing their children on camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoLmsXKkYM

it doesn't have anything to do with youtube intellectualism but it does demonstrate that youtube has a problem. by cutting in content creators to ad revenue without some kind of validation of their content in place you end up creating financial incentives for all kinds of awful social behavior, such as long hate rants against women or filming yourself committing acts of child abuse

What the gently caress.

For those not clicking the link, it's a reaction video to broken parents "pranking" their kids. How do they prank them? By throwing ink on the carpet and cursing out the child (I'm bad with kid ages, looks like a 3rd grader?) for marking up the white carpet with a marker or some poo poo. At the start of the prank it goes like this:

Mom (explaining prank): Haha, I'm going to use disappearing ink to scare my child.

*Prank begins*
Mom (upstairs, off camera): "Get your loving rear end up here!"
*Kid goes upstairs
Dad (following kid): "What the hell did you do?"

There is no context for this being right. So, Komrade, the question really is, do you know who these people are? Cause that's when this goes to CPS.

Side note: I'm not a parent, but who has a poo poo ton of kids and thinks "You know what we need? White loving carpets!"

EDIT For boners:

boner confessor posted:

in a lot of places CPS is overwhelmed with kids who are being abused worse than this, so they triage and say "well the kid is emotionally tormented by his father for youtube ad revenue but at least he has a house, food, and isn't sexually abused" but like reddit, 4chan etc. is involved now so sick internet justice is probably going to hassle the local CPS until they do something to make it stop

It's not really just how overwhelmed CPS is, but the belief that the kids will be better with some sort of family structure versus foster care. If the kids won't die before hitting 18 in their current situation, CPS is not going to take custody. Hell, even if the parents are separated and only one is toxic, it's unlikely that the toxic one will be excised, legally speaking. But I might be projecting from people I know. :shrugs:

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Solenna posted:

Going way back to this, they just lost custody of two of the kids, including the one who caught the brunt of the "pranks"

"ScaryMommy Article posted:

“Hall, who lives in North Carolina and had custody of Emma and Cody until 2014, alleges that the children were taken from her illegally and unfairly, and that the Martins forged paperwork from her granting them permanent custody, and used intimidation tactics in the ensuing custody battle,” reports New York Magazine.

What the gently caress!? They stole the kids, moved out of state, and then started their child abuse channel? This poo poo just goes deeper and deeper. I'm beginning to bet that the videos have been deleted in a stupid attempt to destroy evidence. I'd be surprised if the summer ends without these people being indicted.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My girl used to watch the devlog about Yandere Simulator. She didn't play it but found them interesting. That guy is surprisingly anti-SJW and other nonsense. Even blamed SJW's for why his game was specifically banned from Twitch, as in banned by name. This Kotaku article (bare with me here) covers it better than the video. Mainly for this correction:

Correction posted:

The article notes that YandereDev points to feminists as a potential reason for Yandere Simulator’s ban on Twitch. YandereDev reached out to clarify that “I was not attempting to suggest that Yandere Simulator was banned because of ‘feminists’. I was suggesting that Yandere Simulator was banned by self-righteous ideologues who are very uncompromising and dogmatic. Anyone can fall into their category, whether they are a feminist or not.” The footage he uses in this portion of the recent video, which describes “THOSE people,” samples viral videos from so-called SJWs.

:rolleyes:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seeing as how this tweet is the best example of a supporter they could come up with.
https://twitter.com/The0therDan/status/864305800398884864/photo/1
PS, look at this "politically apathetic" twitter..

I don't know if this article is quite fair and balanced.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

steinrokkan posted:

As an atheist I would see the lack of pre-determination, the belief in the importance of good deeds, and the generally more liberal approach to learning (science, philosophy etc.) as far superior to post Ref. denominations. Also for a convert, Catholicism presents a nice single theology compiled into a definitive canon, unlike the loving nightmare that is Protestantism.

Did you stop reading about Protestants after Calvinism? Also, thought you'd prefer that people did good deeds because it was the right thing to do, not cause they were bad. :shrug:

That said, Gauv and Midi are right, liturgical churches are more appealing for a 100% fresh convert. The feeling of a big church service is more important than squabbles over who can have stale crackers or how to pay for missionaries (real divisions in my denomination). Which sucks cause they'll never know the joys of judging a church that starts at the right time (11 AM).

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deified Data posted:

Can you link them? A cursory search turned up nothing.

Skim through the last few pages of the Steam thread. It's been a lot of Youtube comments, but they're all very special:

Sorry these are picture tweets, but, sometimes, that's better.
https://twitter.com/Skullslime/status/874128994903351297

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/874279912118636545
I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out how many people have "been cucked", according to Twitter user Third Position.

Fun fact, if you're dumb like me: Third Position is an old, edgelord, South Park idea of "both sides are dumb, and I'm cool for figuring that out" that was used (most importantly) by the Nazi's against capitalism and communism. I found this out by Googling the name to find his Twitter account.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 13, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

IQ Tests arent based around linguistics or grammar but around pattern recognition and how to understand symbols or at least it was when I took one when I was a child

I went digging around to find some helpful links on this, and I'm honestly having a bit of a hard time. That said, this article from The Atlantic by Brink Lindsey hits on a lot of interesting points closely related. Specifically, it mentions a study by Eric Turkheimer showing that the heritability of IQ varies according to socio-economic class.

Abstract posted:

Results demonstrate that the proportions of IQ variance attributable to genes and environment vary nonlinearly with SES. The models suggest that in impoverished families, 60% of the variance in IQ is accounted for by the shared environment, and the contribution of genes is close to zero; in affluent families, the result is almost exactly the reverse.

While not exactly what you were looking for, it certainly suggests that variance of IQ is a lot more complicated than most people assume.

So, in reference to me having difficulties in finding studies, what do we have showing that there is racial bias in IQ testing? I've found articles talking about cultural bias, but those are include a lot of heavy handed examples, e.g. non-native English speaker, someone not from an industrialized nation. Those, obviously, don't mesh well with racial bias in terms of people that all leave in this country. I was seeing a lot on SES impact and the Stereotype Effect, though.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rkajdi posted:

Pretty much. It's not so much that their inceldom is the problem, it's the symptom. The problem is these people are by hook or crook anti-social, and stand zero chance of making a real connection with anyone. I'm not certain the problem is even fixable. Just like a lot of stuff involving these guys, the solution is limiting their ability to screw the world up for normal people. I also don't expect this to be successful, because it would probably require getting rid of the wild west anonymous internet that lots of people seem very invested in.

I don't think the incel phenomenon can be boiled down to them being anti-social, because, then, they'd not want that companionship. I think it's more about them having hosed social skills. I was a "late bloomer" and went through similar things as what incels are complaining about. Like, I don't think it's important for a bunch of people to say "there, but for the Grace of God, go I" about this, but the fact that a fair number of poster could shows that it's a tad extreme to just write them off as a lost cause.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus. wtf is wrong with these people. just add gore mods and weapon/quest mods like a normal person. not meticulously done horse vaginas.

Nude patches are a part of my gamer culture. :colbert:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fallenturtle posted:

I think the best way to make him a joke (or a bigger joke) is to expose the nutty poo poo that comes out of his mouth.

I think the best way to make him a joke is to make him afraid to leave his house, because a scat fetishist might punch him again, but to each their own. :shrug:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

I think this is one of those things that shatters my illusion that I'm not living in the Brazil universe. A man was banned from twitter because stating that the holocaust happened and was bad, was offensive.

Why don't you try looking at this through the lens offragile liberal sensibilities? He was banned because of how he said it, not what he said. As Voltaire was never known to say:

"I disagree with what you say but will fight to the death to defend it. Unless you're just being a total dick about it."

Huh, I guess that works unironically as well.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Beyond never, ever, ever having had the sex, the one thing that stood out was how his me-as-Captian-Jean-Lue-Picard-in-Universe-Mauve was fairly good with respect to his long head.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's literally a subconscious need on the level of eating and drinking and sleep

The thirst is real.

Guavanaut posted:

If they could get over their entitlement and boyrage and form constructive interpersonal relationships they'd feel better even without the sex. Paradoxically (from their worldview) they then might even get laid.

Which'll take a lot of work and/or time. Normally, I'd assume these kinds of people would grow out of it (being a "late-bloomer" and all that), but this nonsense has made these feelings acceptable. I also doubt they'd get help to fix their lives because of all the stigmas associated with counseling, which include society's general resentment and toxic masculinity.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

If you do manage to force the state (and you invariably have to force them) to stop being shits to minority groups, you can only do that and maintain it under enormous popular pressure, to which anarchists may suggest: Why not cut out the middle man?

Huh, "Complete Anarchy Now" wasn't on my ballot last November, and I doubt it will be within the next five years. Call me a neoliberal, but I think working on what we can is more important than what will never happen, i.e. making things work better vs. eliminate the state or even just the police.

Less snark, what about anarchism changes how people act and/or behave? If things work on the consensus basis, with respect to what's right or wrong (or allowed, to avoid moral connotations), everyone would need to agree that civil rights violations are wrong. Because opinion polls show that this isn't currently the case, how will "waving the anarchism wand" make people suddenly agree with that? If that isn't suddenly changed, America as an anarchistic nations doesn't sound like a fun place to be for a minority, of any stripe.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing, the idea is that people can change their prevailing attitudes, my contention is that "Actually we need states to save us from brutalizing sections of the population for fun" is not a solution because they also require a major change in the attitudes of the population in order to not simply brutalize people more efficiently and institutionally.

Ok, then this is no different than our current setup, save, as I mentioned previously, you need to convince more people, because everyone needs to agree that this is wrong. Last I checked, we've been able to make progress on these issues despite 10+% of the population being out and out bigots. This is why I asked how anarchism would change people, because if you just hot-swapped in anarchism right now, most protections of minorities that already exist wouldn't cut the mustard. Why should those be given up? You haven't made a strong case, and, frankly, your dismissive nature isn't appropriate for a such naive grasp of these concepts for this.

Consider an anarchist restaurant, run on consensus: would servers be allow to deny service to black customers? I'd say yes because of the "fact" that "African Americans are bad tippers". A proposal to combat this would be vetoed, because it effects the livelihood of the servers that believe it. If you believe that this belief is wholly without merit and can be discarded out of hand, I've got some bad news for you.

Also, I wasn't trying to keep this derail longer. I'll follow you to another thread if you wanted to keep going on this.

EDIT: Oh, hey, you posted again, I'm adding this in (and doing the strikeout) to reflect that.

I see we agree that the people need to believe in things for them to change, but the sticky point, for me, is the numbers required. That's why I think a democratic state is superior to anarchistic one: a majority is a hell of a lot easier than consensus.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 25, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like having a dick as big as your forearm would be a disadvantage in the ancap future, there's very little monetary value in a dick to big to be usable and you'd need a lot of money to stop yourself dying of perpetual priapism.

The profit motive is the /best/ way to determine who is in need of forearm dicks. Looks like someone doesn't understand the sexual marketplace and why Catherine is such a stuck-up bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fallenturtle posted:

Serious question: should I delete these posts?

Probably not. You did come off weirdly aggressive at first, but, now, it's clear you weren't arguing in bad faith.

boner confessor posted:

i dunno, he's demonstrated a willingness to create a huge public relations mess and dig in his heels if he disagrees with corporate policy

regardless of his skills, nobody wants to employ a potential saboteur who will throw a tantrum and call the news if they don't like what their bosses are doing. dude has demonstrated he is not a team player and absent that he's just another dime a dozen highly educated sexual harrasment lawsuit waiting to happen white guy computer toucher. he's on his fourteenth minute now and once people forget about him he'll have a long, painful job search ahead of him as all the doors he's been accustomed to opening for him all his life remain firmly closed

But that's discrimination, Johnny! :monocle:

• Locked thread