Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oneiros posted:

And the best tricksters don't tell any lies at all.

Why bother lying when the truth is so much more believable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Entropic posted:

It's been ages since I read the book, but Audrey barely showed up at all, she was just mentioned in passing, right?

Audrey plays a significant, albeit limited role much later in the book. It's highly unlikely to happen this season so I won't expand, however if you ask in the spoiler thread I'm sure someone will answer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Some goons are huge crybabies about people talking about source materials.

Was there a separate Neverwhere thread for each medium when the anniversary show was done?

It's a valid point - in GoT threads, book chat is kept minimal in the TV/no spoilers thread. Especially since the material can diverge significantly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SiKboy posted:

I think you could successfully adapt it. But there's no way you could successfully faithfully adapt it. You'd need to take an attitude more like the adaptation of Lucifer, taking the bare bones of the concept and rebuild it as something that works for TV. Rabid fans would hate it, but the graphic novels as written just would not work on screen, and at least we'd get something watchable. Of course a faithful panel to screen adaptation might be at least an entertaining car crash.

successful + faithful in any adaptation is difficult to accomplish. The most faithful adaptation I can think of was Watchmen - they changed the ending in a specific way to make it work better, but the overall substance was very well done. The fact that it made some money (not a lot) was surprising.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zzulu posted:

So I just finished teh show and I liked it

I didn't get what the tree monster in the police building was though, I think I missed the dialogue for it. What the heck was up with that

It wasn't really explained, as far as I'm aware, and instead was meant to serve as a message than there are more than just humanoid, sentient and conversive gods among the supernatural out there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

It seems like a preposterous amount to demand and I wonder if he did it on purpose because he wanted out for other reasons

Yeah that number is insane. Walking Dead, which admittedly has lovely special effects, has a huge cast and is done for roughly 1/3 of that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Gaiman has always been willing to suggest that American Gods would eventually get a sequel. Without spoiling too much, the ending definitely leaves open the possibility of doing so. If or when he decides to write one is another question. And plus, the world has changed so much since American Gods that a sequel could be a wildly different sort of creation.

I thought I remembered him tweeting when the show was greenlit that he was going to get started on a sequel, however this article from 2017 claims that he's working on 3 other books first (a Norse mythology book, a Neverwhere sequel, and a children's book).

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 16, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oasx posted:

Speaking of Neverwhere the BBC mini series is really good, and absolutely the best version of the story. It was cheaply made but had some great acting.

Funnily enough, the miniseries is the original version - the novelization came out afterwards. That said you're right, it is absolutely mid-90s BBC in terms of quality. Assuming they still own the rights, I really wish they would remake that one with a bigger budget (maybe loop in Netflix, since they're throwing money at anyone with a camera these days).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MiddleOne posted:

That's like the most pointless spoiler tag. I have no idea what it is referring to anyway.

Without having seen anything in S2, it refers to some specific book material that is both important to the cohesiveness to the main plot, largely self contained in terms of actual material, but also good exposition on some of the core concepts within the story. Just having read over what's happened in the show, it seems like the content of that plot might be covered by in the show by having Mad Sweeney turned from a significant god into a minor character within Christianity, diminishing his power as a god as a result. This largely mirrors the kobold from the book, while simultaneously removing what would otherwise be a long and largely boring subplot.

Again, I haven't caught up in the show so I could be way off, but that's my take.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I wish they would remake Neverwhere. It was originally a BBC show but suffers horribly from being made in the mid 90s. An updated version with a real budget would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Medullah posted:

Yeah I never watched the show but read the book a couple times so a few years ago I decided to finally track it down and watch it and hooooo boy I couldn't get past the first episode. Soap opera camera to the max.

Luckily Stardust still holds up as a great movie fight me

I powered through it, but it was rough. The story is great, though - and since a script already exists, it shouldn't be too difficult to update it vs. developing a screenplay from scratch based on a book.