Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I love the Vikings, but the bummer of them is that their best maps are Gardens, Booty Bay, and probably payload. When I'm them in QM I'm stoked to get those maps, any other time I'm not.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I think it would be fine if they did map selection like gears of war did, where it would show two maps and everyone would get to vote on one.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Lane discipline in QM seems to be getting worse. Everyone just charges into mid in the opening minute and tries to get kills in an epic clash over nothing. I usually like to play tanks or supports or lost vikings, so it is horrible to watch the other two lanes go unsoaked.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I'm having a blast with this game right now. I got a few friends that play, and the most common group is myself and a couple, and we run Diablo Butcher and Tyrande in QM. Our lockdown stuns and synergy is so practiced and on point it's ridiculous. Such a fun way to hang with friends, I love it so much. I really like the lvl 16 talent, Domination, that resets your shadow charge when you cast overpower. You just target someone vulnerable, dart in and pull them out and serve them right up to a waiting butcher + tyrande. Fun as gently caress.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

I want ANY new skin for tlv. :saddowns:

TLV got no skins, sprays, or banners for 2.0, and the current map rotation is horrible for them, as their tanked winrate shows. They are the biggest losers of 2.0. There are tons of heroes that poo poo on them now and they're only good on a few maps that everybody hates. Because their skins would be the most expensive to make, they'll never get them, and their pickrate would indicate they will never be reworked again. Poor guys :(

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Aren't they great on Hanamura when not banned?

At Master level, it's their hardest viable map. Even at Diamond their winrate drops to 44.6% on that map.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

Having just played The Butcher for the first time in forever: Wow is he ever bad.

I got a friend that is a savage butcher player, but he only plays him when I go diablo and his girlfriend goes tyrande. After that he takes abattoir and lamb to the slaughter and I'm not sure what else, and he'll skip the first objective or two and rotate hard to build stacks, usually has them around lvl 10 or 11. After that he's a loving beast. You gotta engage from mounted and save your charge to interrupt or secure important kills.

But basicallly every other butcher I play with is disappointing in comparison.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I got Azmodunk and D/Ced, then I did not have Azmodunk.

I mean I don't play Azmo but that has to be top 3 skins in the game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Last night ran into a fivestack that featured stitches hook into gorge into extended medivh portal into the rest of the enemy team. Our malf didn't take cleanse, so every successful hook was a death sentence.

It was awesome to see but a stomp still hurts haha.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Gears of war had a system where they present two maps, and each player gets one vote. If tie it's a coin flip. Simple.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 13, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Belzac posted:

What's your definition of simple? That would take a new UI system, testing with 10 players, support for disabling in custom games, how are the two maps picked? etc etc

If your opinion on a fix ends with simple or easy you're not thinking about it hard enough.

Those things are all also simple.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

That's not a veto at all, and is in fact a worse system than just getting a random map.

How?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, I guess I'll ask the question that's probably been answered a zillion times already and maybe caused at least one bitter argument...what's the problem with Garden of Terror?

People don't like it because it promotes passive play by trading objectives without violence and the terror is unfun to fight. I love it because TLV is my favorite thing in this game, but otherwise I'm inclined to agree.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Don't play with tcjimbo.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Did the Varian QM reclassification change go live yet?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I've seen this also, and saw nothing in the patch notes about any changes. Guess QM tank Varian is still here, which sucks.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I'll be honest, the one thing I don't really get are Anubarak's beetles. They just seem to sorta...be there? If they have a big impact on fights I must just be missing it. I usually go for the shield upon unburrowing talent myself since if he's caught out of position Anub can get crushed pretty hard, especially by strong autoattackers. Is talenting for beetles actually worth it?

Because they spawn every time you use an ability, you can stagger them and use them to siege towershots, making anub a pseudo siege hero.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Lazer build does well in low mmr QM settings but in serious games is trivially easy to shut down. If you're finding great success with it you're probably in low skills games and suck at landing dunks anyway.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Hey, TLV get a spray in a month. Come on man, give me a tint, that can't be too hard.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Why would you care when Pajama Party exists.

Because I've owned it for two years now, and TLV is literally the only character in the game who didn't get anything at all from 2.0.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

They got hanamura, a map they're incredibly good on. Each viking counts as a body moving a cart forward. Meanwhile poor cho'gal only counts as a single dude pushing the cart.

They're not that good at that map though? On hotslogs they had a 41% winrate in HL and a 28% in TL on that map last week. The only characters worse at that map are lucio, medivh, and chogall. Even at Master level for the past 3 weeks combined, their winrate is 39%.

TLV's main strength is soaking lanes when people leave for objective, and with the best strategy being to siege forts down teams are heavily disincentivized to leave lanes, negating their whole deal. Also if you're going to stall out the opponents payload do it in a lane. Also it's a two lane map, which is bad for them anyway.

So you're going to push a payload 20% faster into a lane where you're going to meet your opponents and then stall out indefinitely.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 7, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Dehaka owns. Also he grows his arms back when you lock in your ult choice, and the noise he makes when you consume your essence rules.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Vikings are solidly niche, and super rad at 4 maps or so.

I miss when I could spam them in QM with a 75% winrate :(

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Kind of jealous of Dota 2 announcers to be honest. Hots announcers have around 5 minutes of audio, while Dota 2 averages 45 minutes per announcer.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

e: it seems TLV's winrate has dropped precipitously since 2.0, likely because now they're more available.

My bottom line I think would be this: Don't 100% trust hotslogs, but if you do, filter to your league + one league up, and filter to the map you're going on. Sort by number of games played, and only trust those data near the top - that is, with enough data points to be mostly valid. Also remember that

Going by that metric, for me (gold + plat) the best supports on BHB would be Uther, Li Li, and Rehgar.

TLV's winrate tanked because they lost their best maps and got served hanamura, which they are horrible on.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Auriel requires more drafting considerations and teamwork then the other healers, but she isn't a bad character, in the same way medivh isn't a bad character.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

I think tomorrow I'm just gonna say gently caress it and queue vikings all day in qm

I used to do this before 2.0. Too many counters and bad maps for them now though. Unranked is still fun with them when you can get your drafting considerations right.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

porfiria posted:

Valeera, Zeratul, and Nova are all mediocre to bad across all skill levels in both Hero League and Quickplay.

Good.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Where the gently caress are my Greyfin, Sharkhaka and Swabius skins, Blizzard? :argh:

The Dehaka here is hilarious, as every skin and tint for him looks the same except his meka ones, and here they are going to release a new base tint that looks the same as other 6 ones.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Sindai posted:

My favorite little thing is all the characters automatically thanking you for healing.

Except Alarak. What a jerk.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Bogart posted:

Thats why you get the Locust Brood at 16. Definitely would've turned the tide one way or another.

They should have hatted their locusts instead of slapathon if they wanted to win, but the video is pretty much perfect as is.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Sensual Simian posted:

Watching these Western Clash games, it becomes painfully obvious that there are some heroes which just aren't played at these higher levels. Is it this level of play that Blizzard generally makes hero changes for, or is it more of a 50/50 combination of high tier play and player suggestions?

Azmodan, Butcher, Murky, Probius, Cho'Gall, Zagara, Kerrigan, Nazeebo, Sgt. Hammer and at least three others are nowhere to be seen...this seems like a not-negligible # of potential heroes that just dont see use.

Chogall picked in the korean scene, hilarious game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aSHhUhoEl0

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Libertine posted:

Tassadar is my favorite hero bar none, I think he's my most played, my best, my friends are always excited to see me pick him. If I play a game on him and die a single time or don't get MVP I feel like I usually hosed up somewhere. I usually play QM and according to Hotslogs I have a Master QM MRR with a 55% WR with Tassadar, my average score is 3-17-1. Here's how I usually play him:

1: Templar's Will is by far the best talent no matter what. It gives him much more damage output and a permanent mana engine. When laning you want to be just outside of range of your opponent and storming waves while auto-attacking anyone in your range as safely as possible as often as possible to stack up this talent. If you are in a big pile up lane sometimes you can stack it absurdly fast and then you hit a really fast power spike and people don't expect it.

4: Khala's Embrace (Green Shield - Lifesteal): I get this 90% of the time unless my team is severely lacking heroes that auto attack to the point that it doesn't make sense (we have like 2 tanks and a mage and a support or something) and then I get the Khala's Celerity (Blue - Move Speed) one. You can put this on your self and basically 1v1 any hero at level 4 with Templar's Will/Khala's Embrace. You can bait people into fighting you and just trash them, and if for some reason you lose you just hit E really fast and cut back to the fountain and try again. I win a lot of early solo duels with this talent combination especially against really hyper aggressive Malthael, Butcher, and Illidan players. Tassadar puts those kind of characters in a trash bin.

---

7-End: Multiple Paths (summary of skills and ideas)
1) Oracle / Archon / Oracle / Oracle / Prismatic Link -- This is a really strong build. Makes your cooldowns cycle fast, makes your auto attacks really strong, makes your team fight presence when you pop Archon and Oracle an absolute terror, you basically win late game team fights solo if you get off a few seconds of full rotation damage.

2) Psi Storm / Force Wall / Nullification / Armor Reduction Psi Storm / Shield Battery -- This is a really good team fighting build that is great against a lot of melee assassins and/or high aoe damage and is more support focused. You wall to disrupt enemy initiation and escape, you nullify their main melee damage dealer on arrival, you spray armor reduction and slow over their main team fight area, and you pop an AOE Shield when your team engages or eats their first big AOE ultimate.

If your team has a second support or is very durable, the first build is usually better because you can be a lot more of a high threat team fighter and can control vision and targets very effectively.

If you are the only support on your team and you are worried about a lot of high priority threats (especially ones that will disrupt you if you try to go hard with the Archon build) then the second build is usually better because you can directly manipulate team fights with single and multi-target damage mitigation, fight control, and area denial.

----

The talents I didn't mention at any point I don't think are ever worth picking. I've tried them all. None of them perform as good singularly or collectively as one of these two paths or a hybrid adaptation of the two based on situational analysis.

I've played my Tassadar in a few goon groups and I don't think I died in any of those games either. I would take my Tassadar up against anything confidently. If you wanna play or have any other questions let me know.

Any arguments for force wall upgrade at 20? I don't play tassadar but I've definitely been walled to death at 20 before and it looked pretty fun for him.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Is that true? When does no more Hanmura go live?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I tried unstoppabling myself to get out of a gank and accidentally ending up flinging my brightwing into a pile of melee gankers, making me feel completely terrible. Whoops.

Garrosh reminds me of DVA in their ability to sow chaos, but garrosh can really do some amazing things with the right comps. Flinging enemy varians over a wall is hilarious during a cluch teamfight. Throwing your friends to safety and the enemy into a punisher stun right off is super fun.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Anyone else being D/Ced right when the enemy core goes to 0 HP? I've been D/Ced right at that moment 4 times since patch yesterday and dont get loot or xp from those matches. Most of those times I was MVP, I don't know if thats related or not.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Level 1 5v5 mid brawls are also great for heroes who need quest stacks. I'm playing Azmo a lot in QM right now because global dunks are so fun, and the lvl1 fight usually lets me get 3-6 stacks on sieging wrath from my first two dunks, which is huge.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Seems to be related to skins, plenty of non-default skins can't change their voicelines.

Also I've been D/Cing at the final second of a match roughly 1/5 games or so, and then I lose all xp and gold for the match. Thankfully I don't lose rank in HL but drat this glitch is annoying.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I've fallen in love with Azmo recently after spending the majority of my time in hots tanking or playing TLV, and man is it fun to have full sieging wrath stacks+ black pool max-range intergalactic dunks landing on people from many screens away. If you really want to kick it up though, comboing with chromie is hilarious. Enemy team sets all up on objective, ie go sit in a barrel like fish while the artillery starts double dunking on multiple targets. Nothing like outright killing their valla and medic and all they ever saw was the fog of war and a facefull of dunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

If entomb doesnt make sense I don't take leo. Like if they can get out of the tomb, they can definitely get out of the way of march, and if you want a sustain ult take dehaka.