Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Minor nitpick but was it really necessary to have me click on each token individually? Overwatch just opens the crate, shows you what you got and lets you open another. Won't be as annoying when not opening 30+ in a row but still.

It should be a slot machine that slow rolls you with the legendary skin you could have gotten, and at the last second changes to a spray of raynor's girth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wait, why are we taking resurrect now over crystal?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Thrall is still very good, but most teams now pick two warriors so it might not fit to pick a bruiser. And if a bruiser is on the table for your team comp, you should just pick ragnaros.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

My god, a Zarya that takes Feel the Heat at 1 and is good with shields is loving terrifying. :stare:

I think zarya is currently my fav warrior besides varian

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

If it's not guaranteed it feels like they weighted it pretty heavily then because I was expecting a lot of "pay 250, wind up with all commons again" but like I said, it's yet to happen for me.

I doubt it's guaranteed but I'd bet that its weighted, too. The initial seed might be purely random, and re-rolling might take into account something that was previously opened or something. Since you're paying actual gold they probably wanted a system that doesn't feel unfair. I think its a good system since people used to just sit on piles of gold, but now gold is a better commodity.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Better PvE would be cool but Blizzard would probably rather have you play diablo or wow instead of their moba. Some version of 9v1 pvp would be a cool brawl, though.

Someone decided all dota-likes need to be pvp arena games and cash in on sweet esports money, since PvE doesn't.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I think sonya can still solo most merc camps without merc lord. I would always go focused attack and become a huge lane and team fighting bully.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

BGrifter posted:

:D :hf: :D

It's been super fun tooling around on the free rotation guys learning what all the shiny buttons do and smashing the AI. It's really impressive how different heroes feel from each other out of the dozen or so I've played.

As a clueless newbie who doesn't own Tracer should I hop into the Brawl mode and awkwardly lose a couple games for the free loot box before that resets?

Brawl is not for people to try hard on and this one is pretty fun.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Jaina has range increasing talents and it baffles me why no one takes them. They're how you get no-death Jaina games.

The blizzard range talents are a trap, she has better talents at 13 and 16. After 13 she shouldn't really die, like if they're really diving your rear end then all of cone of cold, blizzard, ring of frost, ice barrier, and ice block all get better.

The frostbolt talents aren't bad, though.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Actually since sonya-smart people are posting right now what's the best use of her fury? I assume in a gob of heroes during a team fight its best to just use whirlwind. But when is it better to use slam vs whirlwind?

Slam can proc follow through and will still do some aoe. Whirlwind is only a dps option when you're chasing, and can be good to bully the backline.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

guldan's normal spells do enough dps and even add sustain, why would you ever stop to channel rain of destruction when you can stun and silence someone lol

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I won offense as sonya and had a zarya to help. Got to do a graviton whirlwind combo twice, and our gaz stayed by the point at all times.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Self-Destruct could have potentially wonderful synergies with Mosh Pit, Void Prison or Entomb. :getin:

Self destruct seems really really good on its own. Like if you play against dva you have to be prepared for her to just throw it down somewhere and control an entire area, making squishies really afraid and frontline afraid they'll be zoned out of position. The video shows that it nearly kills tracer and probius.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Reverse d.va, like a giant human ultraman that explodes and reveals a small mech inside??

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Zotix posted:

Here is where I post my unpopular opinion as someone who has played since alpha. The majority of overwatch characters added have been bad for the game.

The game was never good in the first place, we just play it anyway.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Hanamura is just such an unbelievably lovely unfun map, holy god.

I'm glad it usually ends before you hit level 20

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

What? The map is so small and forts die so fast that it's basically meaningless to take one other than right before an altar.

You force the enemy team into spending too much time on re-capturing their own forts and it makes your shrine captures better. You can also capture their other forts while they defend and put them on the back foot the entire game (they still have to wait the 30ish seconds for the fort to spawn). Or you can capture the bottom fort and aggressively defend it while pushing with camps, forcing the other team to constantly defend or eat some shots and it puts them at a disadvantage the entire time because they'll be fighting on top of your fort.

Taking forts is a huge part of the map, the creep/shrines are there to reward you with extra shots for taking forts.

edit: unlike hanamura where laning phase is pretty poo poo

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 12, 2017

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

p-hop posted:

You know what pairs really well with Leoric's tomb? Zul'jin's guillotine. That's some good stuff.

Entomb with expulsion zone is a really long aoe stun

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks for the recc's, everybody; played some Diablo (err, "played as Diablo," that is) to dip my toe in, but I'll definitely check out Nazeebo, Arthas/Johanna, and Li Li. :)

This is more of a general-MOBA-thing I've never quite grokked, but - what are you supposed to do with yourself when you're too beat up to meaningfully contribute to whatever's going on? I mean, obviously grab a fountain if one's nearby, but otherwise... hearth back? I think I'm always too reluctant to B, just because being out of the fight / out of lane feels so punishing. (and i'm afraid my teammates will call me a noob for being so obviously out-of-position :ohdear:)

Be a pro and juke all enemy skillshots and then punish them hard when they tunnel vision and dive after you.

Otherwise just hearth back or retreat since it's not worth dying. If you're the tank, then encourage your team to disengage and soak or something.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Blizzard didn't really need to make a new game in order to cash in on cosmetics, they probably could have done that in their already existing games. Their goal is more like, make Dota for Babies: Blizzard Edition to try to cash in on f2p whales and sweet esports money.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

hots is bad and so is me

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The only fun thing I remember doing in AV is fishing, so please make a fishing contest map

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

What do you do as Probius against divers like Illidan besides pray?

hit Z at the right time and hope they're too stupid to chase. otherwise just die and wait for the game to end.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wailing arrow is a ranged aoe silence and isn't channeled. That's almost as good as twilight dream. Please take the ult that has ranged aoe silence.

Alternatively, take mind control when they have abathur and spend all game trying to mind control him

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Arrow can make any engage pretty one-sided and you don't lose dps, mobility, or black arrow. It can also save your dumb friends that are caught out of position, without having to go out of position yourself.

Mind control is fun and sometimes kills, which is okay.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Well, I suspect you're probably good enough that you get much better players with and against you than I do. But on the sort of teams I get, a squishy being out of position does not mean the enemy will collapse on them and get an instant pick like a pro team would. In my absolutely anecdotal, personal, mid-level experience, though? The big MIND CONTROL sign going up over a slightly mispositioned soft character is a huge neon light that screams "Kill this one!" to Sylvanas's team a lot of the time. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but it works frequently enough that it makes MC not a dead pick to me.

Mind control makes you stop doing Sylvanas Things. Any ult that violates your primary purpose without enhancing it or providing more tools is probably a bad ult. A much better version of mind control that people are describing here is varian's taunt. Mind control is just a fun thing to do and sometimes leads to a kill. A squishy caught out of position is just as dead if you had used wailing arrow instead. Both ults will shut them down, so it doesn't make much sense to me to take mind control when it only works best if the enemy team is dumb.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They literally nerfed lili not too long ago because she was really good in double support comps and could talent for dps pretty well lol

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I guess malth would be a decent option if people draft double warrior and ban tychus. He might be good on heavy creep maps where you can get good sustain off his slow heal by spreading his trait around, so he gets stronger on the push.

Shifting sands is really good on objective heavy maps. On more open maps you should probably not pick it, though.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Cleanse isn't a requirement to be a good healer. Like, lucio is still pretty good and he never had cleanse. Removing cleanse from malf just removes one of his options. Less options is what makes a character worse in comparison, if what they excel at isn't great to begin with. Like uther probably heals very little but he provides so much utility, and morales heals a ton but has almost zero utility. Malf can do everything.

If malf can still put up respectable healing numbers and be a rooting + innervate machine, he'll still get picked. Nerfing him is probably correct, though, he's so good.

edit: yeah, moonfire is still a really good interrupt for a lot of maps, too.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I know he was nerfed, but I will still happily take him in the right comp as solo heal if malf is gone.

Are we doing hotdog chat now? Because probius is at 56.6% right now so that makes him first pick/ban worthy?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

hanamura is really bad

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I forgot that new season means placement matches and getting people who have never played blackheart's bay before, or insta-pick novas who lane in hanamura to get stacks :/

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

1v1 me support only hanamura

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm the 30 second pick timer that drops you because of 30 seconds of inactivity then ends the brawl immediately because there's not enough players

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I just had a game where our immortal at nearly 100% health destroyed a keep and got stuck behind it because the pathing couldn't figure out how to get to the tower......

Also malthael does a ton of damage to immortals during the battle phase, but doesn't do that much after that phase for some reason?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

It looked like a solo malth was out-pacing four of us in a race to burst the immortal, so we had to go defend and kill him. It was insane.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

nerf genji and buff chen

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ah yes saturday afternoon, my only chance to play some hots... oh wait it's hanamura day guess I'll never play this stupid poo poo game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Garden is ok but I hate when maps are out of rotation for so long. I've gotten people in their placement matches who have literally never played blackheart's bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Tibalt posted:

Jaina used to be my girl, but that was back when Illidan was the scariest diver. Now you can draft an entire comp that hits the back line like a dump truck, support included.

nerf genji