Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is a dynasty league doable on ESPN or Yahoo? Or is MFL the way to go? My redraft league is on Yahoo, so I'd like to keep both on the same website if possible. Nothing is set in stone regarding dynasty rules yet, but we are looking to start one up this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

e. They're still counting the ensuing PAT, lol yes it's the D/ST's fault if that PAT is made.

At least the defense is actually on the field when it's scored.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So if you bid $25 FAAB on a player, do they cost $25(+10%) to keep next year?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:siren:Keeper Question:siren:
10 team, non-ppr, 2 keepers per team at the same round they were drafted in. Non-drafted players can be kept in the final round of the draft, a.k.a. 18th round. QB/2RB,3WR,TE,FLEX(RB/WR/TE).

My options:

Ezekiel Elliott (1st)
Antonio Brown (3rd)
Tevin Coleman (10th)
Jordy Nelson (15th)
Marcus Mariota (16th)
Jamison Crowder (18th)

I have to keep Brown and Nelson, right?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

89 posted:

We already know what's going to happen.

I'm going to post my ridiculous draft. Everybody is gonna be like 'no loving way dude'

Then I'll trade 80% of my team.

Then I lose.

:same: but I will keep all my players and they will get hurt or flame out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pancakes by Mail posted:

e: To clarify, our keeper rules mean that after keepers are designated, everyone else is just thrown in a pool waiting to be drafted (I don't get to keep my amazing steal in the 14th round for only the cost of a 14th round pick next year, unfortunately).

To me this alone makes it imperative to keep sure thing first rounders like Zeke over lottery tickets. If there's no value picks you want to make sure you keep the best players, no matter what.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:crossarms:

I get you want to rationalize the trade, but you done goofed son.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've never done a dynasty league before but I was going to start one with my friends this year. I was planning on doing an auction draft with a salary cap. Is that different from the contract league you are discussing above? Can anyone give me a few bullet points on the difference? Thanks :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do people feel about Hopkins now with Osweiler out of the picture?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What's the penalty for keeping them? Scoring? Format? Context maaaaaan.

With none of that info, yeah, Landry looks to be the leading candidate.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

timp posted:

Keepers go in the first 2 rounds.

If you only keep 1 keeper, do you get to use your 2nd round pick on anyone? If so, just keep David Johnson. Anyone available in the 2nd round is gonna be a better pick than keeping anyone else on your team there. If you HAVE to keep 2, then Landry would be my pick.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think this has been discussed, but how do dynasty leagues that use snake drafts handle contracts/increasing value/etc.

Im running a first time start up dynasty league and I want to do an auction draft with a salary cap and increasing salaries each year by 10% or whatever. Only problem is most of the league has never done an auction draft before and are insistent on doing a snake draft. How do snake draft dynasty leagues handle that sort of thing?

Also, I'd like to use Yahoo, as our other 2 leagues are already on there, but is that doable with a dynasty league? Or do you have to go with MFL and it's horrible interface/website? Everything I'm reading says MFL is the way to go, but I used MFL for best ball leagues and the whole experience really soured me on that website. It almost unbelievably terrible. Plus no mobile app, etc.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 1, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Moved from last page...

:siren: I need help from someone who has done a dynasty league with a snake style startup draft :siren:

I think this has been discussed, but how does a dynasty league that uses a snake startup draft handle the value of players for each following season after the first?

In an auction league, you have a salary cap, and each season following the startup season, a players contract would increase 10%(or whatever amount you decide) from whatever dollar amount they were drafted at. (Ex: If you drafted someone for $10, next season their contract would be $11. A 10%/$1 increase)

But in a snake draft (non-auction) league, how does this work? Would you still use a salary cap and just apply a dollar amount by round? Like a first round pick is $25, second is $24, third is $23?

I'm looking to start a first time dynasty league using a 25 round startup snake draft. I'm having trouble figuring out how to handle player values going forward. I don't want teams to just be able to keep all 25 players with no penalty year to year, ya know?

Can anyone give some insight?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 1, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Our salary cap league is $300 cap. Cost increases 10% every year for the first three years, then every subsequent year is an additional 10% from the previous year. So year four is a 20% increase from year three. Year five is a 30% increase from year four, etc.

You would HAVE to do an auction startup draft in order to do a salary cap league, correct? Would it be possible to do a startup snake draft and convert player values into salary($$) amounts? That's basically what I'm trying to figure out.

Sataere posted:

Honestly, it's be easier to pick a lane and stick with it. Either salary cap or regular draft. Trying to do both will only create more issues.

If we just do a regular draft with no salary cap, what's the best way to keep a great team from being dominant forever? Make it so you can only keep a player for X amount of years? That seems like it kind of just makes it a glorified keeper league, rather than a true dynasty league.

It seems like salary cap is absolutely the way to go for a dynasty league, but you can't really do that unless you do an auction draft. All my friends don't want to do an auction draft :(

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where should I be looking for dynasty auction values? I talked my dynasty startup league into doing an auction draft, now I need to figure out what players are worth. I cannot find a single website with $$ values for dynasty rankings.

Edit: I was able to find this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O0k_A6BX_GQZYRqV4uMULKAg3stf9Ylj2YVJUSsMZ5Q/edit#gid=0 looks pretty cool! I guess I'll be using this and hoping it turns out well. Seems like I need to have a definite strategy of who I'm targeting going into this. It's a little overwhelming...

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 2, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is anyone here a member of this Goon 2015+ Money Dynasty League? (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnTCMrEn7Wx5ofw_mG_ke_htdtVIY1LZWr907Cx8gn8/mobilebasic)

I used your rules and tweaked them to create a ruleset for my dynasty league I'm starting this year. I have a question about the rookie/free agent draft...

Your rules say the first 4 picks are paid $20, fifth through eighth are paid $18, etc.

So what happens when a big name player like Antonio Brown becomes too expensive for someone to keep (since his salary increases 10% every year)?

He would go into the free agent pool for the rookie/free agent draft, and almost certainly go #1 overall. That means whoever drafts him gets him for $20? It seems like any top tier player that becomes too expensive to keep suddenly has an insanely valuable contract when drafted the next year.

Am I missing something? How do you handle this?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Question...

I'm doing a dynasty start up auction draft on NFL.com this year. When we do it, it will have average $$ values for each player on the draft board online. BUT, it has no way of knowing that this is a dynasty league, so those values will reflect a redraft league. Like it won't take age into effect, or that WR's are worth more due to longevity, or anything of that nature. I'm thinking I can use this to my advantage, because most of the league won't realize that.

Does this make sense? The entire league has never done an auction draft, OR a dynasty start up draft, so this is sure to be a complete poo poo show. I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I can use this to my advantage. Thoughts? Strategies? Ideas?

Thanks friends

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 3, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Question for people who have done an auction dynasty startup draft:

What kind of breakdown are you usually aiming for, as far as spending? How much should I look to spend on my starting roster, compared to my bench?

We have a $200 budget, QB/2WR/2RB/TE/3FLEX(WR/RB/TE), and 16 bench spots. So a 25 man roster. (No kicker/Defense)

I assume the majority of the bench will be filled out by $1 or $2 lotto-tickets/handcuffs/prayers. So what's a general idea of how much I should spend for my top players?

$50-60 on a stud WR (OBJ, Evans, AB)
$20-$25 on a solid WR2
$20-$30 on a solid RB

I read it's best to try to write out your budget for each roster spot to try to have an idea of what you're looking to spend, but honestly I have no loving clue. I just don't want to go into the draft completely unprepared and wing it. I doubt that will end well. I'm trying to do some mock auction drafts, but between not accounting for Dynasty values (WR's worth more, young players worth more, etc) and only having a 15 man roster, compared to 25, player values are WAY off and it doesn't seem helpful at all.

Anyone know of any good articles that talk about dynasty auction startup draft strategies? Anyone have experience and care to share? I'm completely lost here. I've never done an auction draft OR a dynasty startup draft. Help.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 4, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

My goal is to figure out the values of players I want and not go over budget. Its also about having a clear vision for who you want. If you spend a quarter of your budget on Evans or ODB, your roster depth is going to suffer.

What are your salary rules going forward?

$200 budget for the startup auction, then a $250 salary cap you have to stay under each year.

Salaries go up by 10% or $1 each year (whichever is higher)

How would you figure out the values of players? There's no "Startup Dynasty Auction Big Board" or any literature on how much a player should cost in a dynasty draft.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 4, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Absolute truth. Tier your players from who you want the most to who you'll be OK with as consolation prizes. Have salary ranges for what is acceptable. And try to make sure you're the big dog in the later rounds. That's where rookie and 2nd year value plays will make or break your roster.

BUT WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THE SALARY RANGES!? :confuoot:

I don't trust myself to just randomly assign dollar values to the entire league based off what I think. Maybe if I had done one of these in the past I would, but not at the moment.

Sataere posted:

there are no free dynasty salary cap resources.

Are there paid dynasty salary cap resources? I wouldn't mind paying $20 or whatever to have a huge edge in the draft.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 4, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is it possible to have taxi squads for a dynasty league that's not hosted on fleaflicker.com or myfantasyleague.com?

It seems like it would be impossible to handle/track an unofficial taxi squad on the site I'm using (NFL.com).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hey Beer, how come some lines on the beersheets are shaded and some aren't? Are those tiers?

Edit: Cool, thanks!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm last place! I'll be back for this year. Sorry I hadn't heard anything, I didn't realize a thread had been made. I already picked my keepers and everything though!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

I pick 5th in my league and in a mock draft I took Zek, Aaron Rodgers, Kelce, and then Jordan Reed(flex) in that order (6 PPTD/ 0.5 PPR / 12 Team). Have any of you gone double elite tight end to fill a flex? How did it work out?

This is like the complete opposite of how I would ever want to draft my team.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pubic works project posted:

So which QBs should I be targeting if I don't want to blow a chunk of my budget on one? Cousins? Winston?

I want to grab one of Winston/Mariota.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

Going back to this, why the hate for Rodgers in the second? I'm in a 6 PT passing td and -3 interception league. Below is my beersheet and Rodgers has the clear value to me. Who would you take? (Green is my selections and red are players already drafted)

"How can you say picking Eli Manning in the first is a bad pick? I'm in a league where players named Eli Manning get 25 points per completion. Who would you take?"

If your league has weird scoring that completely changes everyone's value, that information is kind of important.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 9, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Just make it FAAB

This.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pubic works project posted:

It's ESPN. It's a live auction so all I'm doing is inputting teams after the draft. I'm phone posting and not 100% sure how to word this. I just want to make the Week 1 waivers random and then after that people go to the end of the line after making a claim.

I'm pretty sure that's the default setting. I'm not sure how it's worded as a choice, though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Zeke suspension announcement coming today(probably), early word is possibly 6 games :aaaaa:

drat, that's gonna tank his value. Time to grab him in my dynasty startup :getin:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How does this affect Watkins value? It's gotta lower it no? I have a dynasty start up coming up and was thinking of bidding on him if the price was right.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

89 posted:

I've got my first draft this weekend. It's a 10 man, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1FLEX/1TE/1K/1DEF 0.3 PPR (yeah I know). I'm 8th pick.

The more I'm looking into it, the more I'm leaning to:

- Go RB/RB. Maybe something like (best case) Shady/DeMarco or Freeman/DeMarco.
- Pray Lynch is there at the end of the 3rd
- Grab one of Olsen or Graham (I hate streaming TE)
- Load up on quality WRs late while everybody is going through what's left of the discount RB bin
- Wait on QB

Although, notable in QB. There's a 3 point bonus for 350 yards passing. And 5 points for 400 yards. Which I'm thinking might stack..

I think you're going to be really hurting when all of your WR's are garbage. There are no "quality" WR's in the late rounds. Lotto picks, sure, but not quality.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

It is hard for me to evaluate this draft, because seeing a qb go in the first round makes me physically ill, which taints my ability to objectively analyze the other picks

This.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

89 posted:

Is there a point in trading draft picks in a redraft league?

Sure. It's a strategic play.

89 posted:

Will Yahoo let you do it during the draft?

Are you doing a live draft(in person), or online? If it's online I think you would have to edit the draft picks before the draft started. If it's a live draft(in person) that you are running, just change the picks manually on your draft board.

89 posted:

If I trade my 2nd and 3rd round pick for someone's first pick, isn't that gonna make the rosters uneven? I guess it would have to be a 2nd & 3rd for their 1st & 18th pick or so on?

Has to be an equal number of picks sent & received. So yes, you would send a 2nd & 3rd for their 1st and 18th (or whatever two picks you agree on).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Someone please let me see their dynasty auction startup cheat sheet. I can't find any dynasty auction values anywhere. I don't trust my judgement enough to adjust re-draft auction values to dynasty.

PPR
25 man rosters
$200 budget
1QB-2RB-2WR-1TE-3FLEX(RB/WR/TE)-16Bench

I have a custom beersheet made up, but it doesn't take into account all the extra bench slots (meaning you have to save more money than a re-draft leauge to fill those slots out), and the fact that it's a dynasty league.

Someone please help :(

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 17, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I don't think "treat it like re-draft" or "focus on winning this year" are good tips for a dynasty startup...

I just want a dynasty auction values cheat sheet... how does a thing like this not exist? Every other aspect of fantasy football has a million different resources.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

CompeAnansi posted:

You can easily calculate auction values so long as you have rankings that give the relative value of the players. I don't know how accurate this site is, but here's an example of a site with relative values: http://www.dynastyfftools.com/tools/dashboard

This doesn't let you change the roster size to anything but 20. Or am I missing something? I guess another 5 roster spots really shouldn't skew things too much though. I'll mess around with it, thanks.

Edit: I'm looking at the values it gives me, and they seem REALLY low. Like Odell Beckham at $37, Mike Evans $34, Antonio Brown $33. Does that sound right to people who have done a Dynasty Auction Startup before? I figured those guys would be going for $50+. And that's for a 20 person roster. A 25 person roster would lower those values even more, right?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 17, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Varg posted:

well on ESPN, if a player is marked as Out they can be moved to IR and you can pick up someone else on waivers. If the player's status is no longer Out, then you have to make room again for him on your roster.

Once their status is no longer listed as Out, you cannot make ANY roster moves (trades/free agency/waivers) before taking the player off of IR and moving them back onto your active roster.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The reason there are no Dynasty cheat sheets is because there is no standard Dynasty format. Every league is different and the differences multiply across years of ownership. Not just scoring but cost of keeping, acceleration of salaries, use of or not use of contracts, treatment of rookies, rookie drafts, taxi squads, IR slots, maximum numbers of trades, using FAAB vs. some other method to determine free agent salaries, IDP, it just goes on and on and on.

No dynasty cheat sheet you could find would be helpful and most would be actively misleading.

This is actually cool and good. Every owner is on their own and can't get a leg up by having the bestest cheat sheet. You will have to look over your particular league's setup and rules, learn about the players, and then spend what seems right to you based on your own analysis. Just like a real NFL team GM. Congrats, you are now playing Big Boy Fantasy Football.

Nothing scares me more than having to depend on myself to assign value to players.

Drunk Nerds posted:

It would make sense for a $100 budget, might want to double check that

Yea I agree with that. I put a $200 budget in the parameters though. Not sure if it's an error on their side?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 17, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there anywhere I could see completed dynasty auction drafts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Let's talk about sleepers! Burkhead, Hunt, who else should I try to scoop up in the late rounds.

• Locked thread