Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I preordered Prey :negative: The demo really clicked for me and I kept thinking about it over the weekend. The recent Deus Ex game left me wanting and I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet, but I'll take sci-fi over fantasy if I have to choose. I liked walking into a room and being rewarded for slowly examining the space instead of rushing through. Seeing two buckets next to a wet floor sign let me plan an attack in a way that's similar but very different to finding an enemy with his back to you. I also like that it eschews an xp system so there's no incentive to restrict yourself to half the tools available; DE always gives more xp for ghosting an area or for non-lethal takedowns, which meant that your loud and deadly moveset was a hindrance. In the Prey demo, exploration leds to items with tangible benefits, and even at the low end of the benefit spectrum is the ability to convert things into materials for fabricating ammo or medkits. My gripes are that I had to leave some locked safes and rooms unexplored because I couldn't find a way to open them, and that there aren't enough shortcut options for the controller (only three to cover melee, utility, ranged, and psi abilities). I know the rule about never preordering games, but I'm a sucker for that Amazon discount and I love System Shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool, how is berseria? i have heard great things but i just got a bunch of new games so i am not sure.

Berseria's fun but very long. I lost steam shortly after I found out the traditional Tales of/Star Ocean battle arena wasn't present. The battle system was good for both button mashing and calculated play, but it's too long to squeeze in if you've just put another game on your plate.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

If the Nioh PVP isn't a fighting game where you select historical Japanese figures with sets of skills and equipment before fighting in the dojo, I think they made a huge mistake.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I beat Persona 5 today. Clocked in at 120 hours, but I don't really a know how I could have shaved 40 hours off my time without skipping most battles and cutscenes. Like the end of most good RPGs I was sad to see it end but I was ready to be done with it. I would have liked to max out Yosuke and Haru's social links to see their transformed Persona, but that's what NG+ (or YouTube) is for.

Now I'm getting ready to fire up Prey and jump into a sci-if exploration full of eye needles and space ghosts.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

I played Prey all weekend and it really does own. Like I've seen people saying that it looks a bit generic, which I guess I can see even though I like the clean scifi look. But the gameplay and level design is incredibly tight, in typical arkane fashion, with really sprawling objectives that I wasn't expecting to be so involved. If you are a fan of this genre its a must play imo.

I wish I had more time to sink into Prey, because it's all I can think about. It's what I was hoping Deus Ex was going to be, but this blows it out of the water. It helps that I'm a sucker for unreliable narrators, because this game has them in spades. I can't trust myself, I can't trust my brother, I can't trust the robot with my voice, I can't trust the coffee cups. I trust the wrench and my ever-expanding toolkit. Looking over the trophy list shows me that there's a lot of replay value to be found in play-throughs (no powers, only powers of one type, save all humans, kill all humans) but I'm glad I didn't look at them until I had locked myself out of most of them. No reason to play a game for the first time and not use all the toys they give you, and unlike most games with stealth elements it doesn't give you piles of weapons you'll never use for fear of alerting people.

I'm also going to second the surprise with the side quests. They appear naturally and might take you a little out of the way, but if you have to return to an area there's usually more than one thing to do there. I also like the recycle/fabricate/upgrade loop they have in place, because it balances the constant drain on resources by giving you what's effectively experience and currency in the form of junk. Normal might be a bit too easy if only because you can churn out health, ammo, and upgrades (weapon or skill) without a hard limit. I imagine the harder difficulties put limits on licenses but for now it's fun to experiment without penalty.

My favorite de facto lockpick is the Recycler Charge, but I couldn't find the schematic for it no matter how much I scoured that guy's office. I'm hoping to run into one somewhere down the road; it's not like I'm hurting for supplies.

Sorry for gushing, but I really like and wish to talk about the game without going to the dedicated thread where the spoilers are more rampant.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Prey has a really amazing opening for a few reasons, one of the best being how it grows as you learn more about the events leading up to it. I'm mainly talking about the little tests you do in the beginning, the ones that kind of teach you the controls so Atlas/SHODAN doesn't have to tell you how to jump. Much later, after expanding your abilities, you can see how you were expected to complete each trial and their mounting confusion make a lot more sense. The game doesn't explicitly tell you this, but it's easy to piece together from reading logs and looking at the white boards. Also, the game has some pro-tier white boards with only a few instances of repeated graphics. Lots of custom writing or drawings that make sense in regards to where they are placed.

I also did not get the connection between the Looking Glass technology in the game and the Looking Glass Studios that made the original System Shocks until looking at the wiki to remember if SHODAN or XERXES more appropriate. Neat.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

Is the rest of the game's soundtrack this fantastic?

Honestly, not quite. The game relies on it's atmosphere and the music backs that up, so it's not *wave through and through. There are some more or less memorable pieces but most of the time it's very subdued. There's a quirk of the music where it'll segue into the battle music if there's an active (not mimicked) enemy around, and it'll also happen if you get close to a hostile turret. The quirk is that even if the turret is broken and unable to hurt you, it'll still cue the battle music every time you walk by. It's a false positive the first time it happens, then a spook tax until you complete break or hack the turret.

Here's some more good pieces from the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Xo2xy12Dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsxNk23D3KY

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Palpek posted:

Prey's soundtrack owns when it actually plays in the game. A part of me would like some lighter mix of the music to play more often during gameplay.

There's this "ambient guitar" track that you can play at the bar in the Crew Quarters that I think is pretty dandy but I'll be damned if I can find a clip of it. I agree that the music balance seems a little off, but it's better than it was in the demo in that the battle music actually ends.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Can anyone name other people who do music similar to this? Tia

I know Washed Out was already recommended (a good recommendation!) but I felt bad that only one artist was offered. It might not be exactly the same but you might want to look into an artist called Macintosh Plus for some similar music. Here's a Spotify playlist that has music by them and other vaporwave artists that I would suggest poking through or just putting on shuffle to see what pops out at you. https://open.spotify.com/user/1165498459/playlist/5LBvZypvCMxoW7hDEtBkkZ You need a Spotify account to listen, though. Coincidentally, Spotify also has the whole Prey OST (as well as a bunch of other good videogame soundtracks like Ori and the Blind Forest, Flower, and DOOM4), but if I try to make a radio station from that song I posted it just matches me up with other soundtracks instead of similar sounding artists.

I hope this helps you find something you dig.

e: Actually, that playlist - despite being called Macintosh Plus - does not have any of their music. I have brought great shame on my house. Have a YT and poke around the recommended videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

e2: Saint Pepsi too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-fATpXa00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrR1TGQY20Y

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

sorry, i'm a classicist and the only game i play at 3am is civ

and currently persona 3 because i'm still readjusting to american time zones

Yeah, it can take a while to get used to the contiguous states' bizarre decision to throw out the notion of hours and minutes, instead adopting a frankly juvenile set of time "blocks". Persona 3 is a great way to become familiar with the daily cycle of Early Morning, Morning, Lunchtime, Afternoon, After School, Evening, and Late Night, and but it embellished the nebulous Dark Hour just a bit.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

Anyone remember the weird pseudo-roguelike mode in Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring? I bought that game because it was a fighting game with FF characters but played the hell out of the weird tower dungeon crawl mode that I didn't expect to be there.

It taught me the concept of "buy low, sell high"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Palpek posted:

Apparently in Prey if you start the game as a male then the toilet seat in the bathroom in your office is up and if you start as a female it's down.

:biotruths:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

A bug in the PS4 version of Prey is preventing me from loading into an area necessary to comets the game, so I guess that's shelved until another patch comes out. That's incredibly frustrating.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The latest Prey patch fixed the problems .I was having so I was able to press on. Crashes had already lost me progress on a few side-quests, but I already got the throphies for them so I ignored them. The last part of the game involved me speed running through areas I had already explored, leaving a lot of my combat-oriented abilities to gather dust. The ending was so-so but the journey was very good. In time, I'd like to return and limit my upgrades some because I think it would be fun to work within some constraints now that I've tried a little of everything.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Blackfyre posted:

What's the consensus on Prey, I generally liked what I played but also found it kinda bland after I'd chewed on it a bit. Like gum.

I will liken it to Shadow of Mordor and say that it's a very fun game where it is easy to become so powerful that the difficulty becomes trivial. I liked the environment of Talos 1 and I thought the way characters were developed to be well done, but I also had the advantage of every human and alien ability resulting in no locked doors anywhere. The way item scarcity is handled is interesting, and it's easy to hoover everything up, but that means later in the game you'll be traveling through areas that you've already picked clean. I thought it was a nice way of keeping the player aware of their resources through to the end.

I liked it enough to gush, but that's hardly a consensus.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

ANyone have much experience with FFXII's Zodiac Job System? I think the remake comes out next week but I'm worried that choosing a class (even two) is going to open up avenues where there are very good choices and very bad choices.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, I don't know why but I'm thinking now about this one dude whose fursona is a glass statue of a dog. Like, just a glass sculpture. He's a chill guy but the glass statue thing still makes me go "wait what?" because like, fursonas are something a furry picks out because they feel like it represents them in some kind of way, so what the hell is this guy trying to say by going "my fursona is a glass statue of a dog"

:siren:Hot take incoming:siren:

I think picking something like that as your fursona is just a symptom of the underlying problem, where representing yourself as an animal is no longer enough to make you suitably special. Furries have become too commonplace, there is now a whole pantheon of otherkin dopes who find it very important that everyone know that they identify as a fallen unicorn or a wood fairy or pallet of colors. Being a glass dog means primarily that this person either already owned a glass statue of a dog or saw one and thought it was too cool to ignore, and has a secondary property of letting the person be more unique (better) than other vanilla furries. The man who says "I am a glass dog" finds no equal among the regular hounds and wolves but looks down upon them as if he was further along some expanding mind graph.

Furry culture is the act of legitimizing pretend play as a way to invent qualities for yourself instead of actually developing qualities. I disagree when you say that fursonas are chosen because they represent the furry; fursonas are chose to project qualities, not magnify them. Someone would pick a fox so that other people can immediately know that the person is clever or quick, regardless of the individual's actual qualities. It all boils down to wanting to be special but finding the solution in embracing the imagination instead of the corporeal, and yes I do think all furries are annoying sadbrains thank you for asking.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It sounds good to me because I think I left off on B right before the split. I'm gonna finish the Dark Souls 3 DLC then wrap up Nier.

Anyone been playing Dead Cells? I've been messing around with it a little. Runs very well on my aging laptop, moment-to-moment gameplay is smooth, and I think the persistent upgrades will make for a decent system. My biggest gripe is that there's no way (for me so far) to augment my defense.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Sefal posted:

And have fun!

Good av + post combo

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jumping into Ashes of Ariandel after not having played DS3 since release is a jarring and uphill fight. Everything feeling slow mixed with the Viking aesthetic reminds me of Lords of the Fallen.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Liife is Strange
or
Life iis Strange

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm going to make a 20 hour long RPG where all text is emoji.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Which descriptor is a bigger social media red flag: "avid board gaming enthusiast" or "gamer"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I haven't heard much about Cosmic Star Heroine in this thread but I've been playing it instead of the Dark Souls 3 DLC and let me tell you, it's pretty good. The exploration and battle system is similar to Chrono Trigger, with encounters visible on the map and taking place on the same screen (no battle transitions), but combat itself is turn based with a really clever system of rechargeable moves, a few meters to balance, and spells and items that can be used once per fight. I've been playing on the Hard (Heroine) difficulty and it provides a perfect level of challenge, and there are plenty of quality of life additions like refilling HP after every fight, not replacing enemies you've beaten in an area but letting you fight one from the menu (like their previous games), and the ability to save anywhere.

I got interrupted in the middle of typing this post so all my vim has left me, but it's something to look into if you're a fan of older RPGs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

Huh, I forgot Zeboyd was around. This definitely looks like the most interesting game they've made. I like the idea of abilities being usable once per fight until you spend some time resting to recover them. Does that work out well in boss fights, like you need to make sure you're timing your rests well to keep your attacks recharged?

Yeah, absolutely. There's a mechanic called Hyper in battles, where a meter will fill up each turn and when it's full you do extra damage/healing and it resets to 0. So there's a balance of using your offensive abilities but also timing your recharges and buffs so you can capitalize on the Hyper boost. This can mean losing out on a powerful attack because you needed to heal instead of defend, and there's a kind of shifting sea of buffs and debuffs that help space out the offensive moves. Most characters have an ability that can be used repeatably without recharging, so it's rare that you're left completely defenseless. Equipment can have modifiers that are more meaningful than some other games, like starting the battle with a full Hyper bar or a buff active, or letting an ability be reused without recharging. Magic is tied to shields and a character stat, so you can mix "programs" around and while anyone can benefit from the stat boosts, only "caster" characters are able to use the higher level programs.

In short, I'm really impressed with how the battle system is designed and it's definitely a game where you can't just mash Attack to win (certainly not on Hard). I don't blame anyone for waiting for a sale, but I've been a fan of Zeboyd and their games for a while, and this doesn't disappoint. It's also a cross-buy game so that's a cherry on top if you have a Vita. I haven't played I Am Setsuna but if you're looking for a SNES RPG that's learned from 15 years of improvements, you could do a lot worse than Cosmic Star Heroine.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

I Am Setsuna was pretty disappointing and bland so I'm glad to hear there's an actually good SNES-style RPG out there now. I'll definitely pick it up, it sounds pretty great. Also I do have a Vita, so it'll be nice to have it handheld.

A few last nuggets: Characters that have a high enough Style (stat that increases in battle) can survive a fatal blow by going into the negatives and can be healed before dying. Dead characters still receive full exp from a battle. Losing a battle gives you the chance to retry, but it hasn't done the best job of signalling tough battles so remember to save. Opening a chest doesn't just give you the boilerplate "You found a potion" notice, it has more flavor and information. "Inside the chest was a pair of Sun Shades. These specs for Dave increase his cunning" or something like that. It's nice because you immediately know if you should check it out in the menu or let it ride. Also, since items are persistent, once-per-battle sorts of things, you don't have chests down long paths that are full of something you could have bought for a handful of G. Finding a potion was a big deal, and you have limited space for items so it's kind of like a load-out where you may decide to swap out a poison-inducing item for a rust-causing one if you find yourself in Geno Dome.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

3 out of 18 Churches Destroyed

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Training posted:

My prediction is that regardless of narrative content it's going to be as bland and boring as every other game Ubisoft has made in he last 15 years

"This is so boring," I yawn as I ride my elephant through an enemy outpost. "I wish Ubi could make something a little less bland next time," I lament, pausing briefly to reload a grenade launcher. In the middle distance a tiger eviscerates a native while a rainbow of prayer flags flutter from cliff to cliff. Satisfied with the bloodshed, I steal a helicopter and disappear into the sky.

fe: this is just a riff, not an attack on the op or a support of Ubisoft.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I can't believe they gave Mario a gun. Ubisoft HQ needs to hit with a MOAB

That won't work, because Ubisoft is structured like a terrorist organization and has cells across the globe. If you take one down, they just reorganize some logistics and it's back to work by noon.

I'm reserving my judgement for RBK until they release some gameplay footage. The cross-over seems ridiculous to me but I can't deny my curiosity about a Mario tactics game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

xpost from CSPAM

Chris James 2 posted:

He posted the wrong image, here

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

:barf: I can't narrow down the worst part of the video, but I see three things in the thumbnail that cause my eye to twitch.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiYTQqbojfU

in this angry birds cartoon, the pigs capture two birds to force them to gently caress which for some reason they think will make an egg they can eat. the birds argue while they are trapped and the pigs think they are loving, which allows the birds to escape

no part of that sentence is an exaggeration

So

CJacobs posted:

You could not pay me enough money to click on the angry birds video

But you knew where to find a Angry Birds short about procreation? I question your character.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

tag youre fat posted:

What's Life is Strange like? It's 4.50 on the humble store and i feel like i'd like it but i'm not sure

It's like a Telltale adventure game where you play a teenage girl with time reversal abilities.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I must have missed this episode of Monster Factory. Is it Fallout 4 with mods?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I think Final Fantasy XV has a good story that's poorly told and puts the barely scrutable motivations for the villain at the very end of the game. I like how it treats the core party and how that feeds into the theme of growing up and accepting responsibility, not just for yourself but for others, and being ready to face hardships knowing that your best times are behind you. It's bittersweet, it's different from the rest of the series by a long shot, and I embraced it. I didn't speed through the game but once I started to be pushed forward I never went back until after the credits rolled, and I think that may have colored my reception of it in a way that someone who took late game breaks to finish hunts might not share. For all the fantasy elements surrounding it, I think it's one of the most real stories in the FF series.

suuma posted:

All turn based RPGs should have a turbo/fast forward button automatically bound to L1 on the controller so you can speed poo poo up.

vvvv I have never heard of this but I bet that's a good game because of this important feature

World of Final Fantasy has this and it really should be in every RPG.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

:popeye:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

was rogue galaxy any good

It pushed a lot of buttons for me when it came out: weapons that gained exp, a diverse cast, a unique crafting mechanic and method of unlocking skills, and a mode of transport ripped straight from the cover of a Spelljammers book. Unfortunately it has no respect for your time and is hard to justify going back to. I'm not going to bother rehosting it, but check out this map of a mid game dungeon https://goo.gl/images/D23wUI. Nothing like climbing an eight-story maze with random encounters only to do it again but slightly different.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

I've played it before and I really like it. Thinking of doing an LP so people will understand that it's good

If it's Natural Doctrine I would eagerly follow your LP. I've bounced off that game a few times once the tutorial ends because I can't figure out how to progress and the AI runs a train on me while I'm trying to figure out how block effectively.

It might be Last Story, though. I rented that once and didn't get very far, but I still eye it on Amazon from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Some time ago I picked up Yorbie on PSN for $.99 and last night I decided to play it on a time-killing whim. Let me warn anyone who sees this title on some sale that it is not worth any amount of money. It gave off a strong impression of being someone's final project at Digipen or Full Sail with maybe a few months of extra tweaking. I'll run down some transgressions from the first level: it's a twin-stick shooter but the character doesn't aim in the direction of the right stick, bullets just fly from the gun in that direction (often traveling through the character); the melee attack looks like the character is throwing a punch in reverse or prodding enemies with his gun; crates can only be destroyed with melee attacks, because bullets just bounce them around; insulting level design even for the first stage, with lots of pushing buttons to make another button three feet away accessible; voiced lines with the frequency of Blasto, but without the humor or Phil Hartman's voice. Not that anyone needed me to warn them off of Yorbie, but it was kind of spectacular in its stunted execution.

In other news, my phone spent three minutes four feet under water yesterday and while I got it to turn back on with the rice trick, it still thinks headphones are constantly plugged in and the fingerprint reader functionality seems to be toast. Anyone have experience with a phone repair company and think that's something they could handle? I'm giving it another day in the rice bath and I'll start calling around tomorrow if it doesn't get better.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread