Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Out of the IRR, so go hogwild, Donnie, it's not my problem any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

AND NO ONE STILL HAS A GOD drat COVER ON.

50/50 the press team thought it would look better, or "lol we're the football team, military standards and discipline don't apply to us."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Final Blog Entry posted:

That's a good drat recruiter

mlmp08 posted:

Imagine being a US service member whose wife runs off to marry an IS member. ffs

canyoneer posted:

Jihad Jodie

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
BTW, where did your av come from? Everything about it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im glad ive made it this far without needing some nerd to study my actual poo poo

Just wait for your first colonoscopy. You can't eat for the day prior, instead you drink a liquid that tastes like burning plastic and makes you poo poo violently until there is nothing left, and then for several hours afterward.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Look, do you know anyone who's ever died from the mumps?

It's basically the common cold, just take some antibiotics and vitamin C.

Uh I think you mean tinctures and essential oils.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thwomp posted:

But here's the thing: so long as Republicans feel that they can survive while sticking with/ignoring Trump, they will. They'll passively sit back while Trump does one outrageous thing after another.

It's a simple calculus. If a possible voter backlash against Republicans in general is less likely than the certain backlash they'd face if they impeach their own president, they'll stick with Trump every time.

More to the point, they understand that most people form their view of the political party in the White House based on the President. If Trump is shown to be a criminal, it hurts them all. It's about political survival; they can likely survive being associated with an incompetent buffoon whose acts they can spin in a positive way. They have to play any criticism of Trump as a partisan attack, and they are going to play it to the hilt, because lol at trying to defend Trump on his record.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Joementum posted:

this is all real by the way. this is something the president said to a reporter

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

psydude posted:

They aren't gonna give them poo poo unless they're subpoenaed.

And they ain't gonna get subpoenaed because the Republicans know that all of the outcomes for that look terrible for the party.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ded posted:

Isn't everything that happens in the White House recorded? It would be odd if it was not.

To be 100% clear, everyone learned after Nixon that executive privilege can't shield those sort of recordings from a subpoena if there is reason to believe a crime occurred.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

KildarX posted:

The snow flake thing is infuriating to me, because it's the same people who get bent way the gently caress outta shape about happy holidays or schools not celebrating (insert holiday here) or Donald Trump getting made fun of on SNL. If you wanna call people over sensitive that's fine, but don't just turn around and immediately do the same poo poo.

People think offending or deliberately attacking moral principles is bad, but people who get bent out of shape about trivial things are worthy of derision, this isn't that hard to understand. You can complain that these are relative judgments all you want, but you're basically wondering why the guy who was laughing at Cartman poo poo-talking Kyle's mom on South Park got offended when you made fun of his mother and called her a pole smoker.

That said, having spent time around a few people who think the right to choose your own pronouns and change them at will is Literally The Most Important Political Issue of the Decade, I can see why other people start to lean towards "anything that upsets these people is funny and good."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

On the other hand, people who are like "what, now I gotta use the pronoun you asked for UGH MY LIFE IS SO HARD NOW" are pretty fuckin' dumb.
FWIW, I've literally never met someone who objected to letting people change their pronouns on the grounds of inconvenience. In my experience, the far more common sentiment has been: I can't self identify as a Wealthy Celebrity and expect everyone I encounter to treat me like Brad Pitt instead of a guy making barely more than minimum wage, so why should Georgie Genderqueer get to defect from the standards and expectations imposed on them by society?

Arc Light posted:

I have yet to see a "gently caress you liberal snowflake" facebook poster who didn't also post stuff like "If you stomp on the flag, I'll stomp on your face," or start crying about football players not standing for the national anthem.
People think offending or deliberately attacking moral principles is bad, but people who get bent out of shape about trivial things are worthy of derision, this isn't that hard

Like, you can disagree about what is a moral affront and what is trivial, but acting like their mindset is somehow alien or illogical is stupid as gently caress.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 14, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Well, you have to start by putting in a lip of Redman...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

psydude posted:

IDK I just thought for someone so interested in HER EMAILS he would have been thrice as furious about this.

IYAAYAS is probably cleaning up his social media presence for either a job in politics or a sensitive hire. But, torch from falling hands: I still think Hillary was unconscionably lazy about infosec, and that the investigation would have been much more aggressive if it had been a lower level functionary. If she didn't know better, she should have. The best thing I could say about her was that she aligned with my views on a few more issues than Trump does (did? Who knows what he actually believes besides his own aggrandizement.)

Trump is still worse. He should never have been president. What he did wasn't treason, but between that, and his firing of the FBI director (which was blatant obstruction of justice whether he cares to admit it or not,) and what appear to be serial violations of federal record keeping laws, he ought to be impeached and removed from office.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 16, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

realtalk if hillary won with republican house/senate it'd be 4 years of screaming at each other

at least trump is new and interesting

Dog, developing spontaneous bilateral tension pneumothorax would be new and interesting, but I would rather not.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

^But they'll have to actually do something first. Sitting on their haunches and waiting for everything to roll in because of course it will is exactly what happened in 2016. And so far I don't see much evidence that they're going to change strategy.

Yeah, those dipshits were singing "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye" at Republicans after the AHCA passed. They're convinced that Republicans will gently caress up, and voters will just come crawling back without them having to change a thing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Hoover is smiling in hell right now at the thought of an FBI director twisting the knife in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

:lol:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Chaffetz followed-through. Not a subpoena, but basically the step right before it. Also, it's for ALL memos/notes between Donnie/Comey, not just the big one.

Here we go.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/864637761982271488

It's Chaffetz. A month from now, he's going to saw that he's reviewed everything, and not only is there no evidence of wrongdoing, and that Trump technically never lied if you squint really hard, but there is some suggestive material about wiretapping of the Trump campaign and HER EMAILS.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Probably would just do it to pass it on to the whitehouse what comey had on them imo

They were his conversations with Trump, so they should loving know already.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Some Mississippi passes convention of states from my usual nut jobs on social media. I can't recall exactly what the BS is with this deal again and googling is just turning up the conservative crazy sites. Someone help me out with the catch. Something like they try this stupid poo poo every year or something?

2/3rds of the States can vote to call a constitutional convention, and propose amendments that are adopted if ratified by 3/4 of the state legislatures. I believe the Republicans are currently one shy of controlling 3/4 of the state legislatures, which is a particularly egregious failing of California/NY/DC centered Democratic politics.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Out of morbid, Clancy-esque curiosity, what would be the likely outcome had one of the protesters assaulted by Erdogan's thugs been armed and defended themselves? Is there precedent for such a thing?

Someone getting assaulted by a consular employee and replying with deadly force? No idea.

I imagine the DC police would probably hook them up for having a concealed firearm in DC, at a public gathering, then charge them with murder on the grounds that you don't have a right to lawful self defense while committing a crime.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

If they're "embassy staff" they might?

They would probably just have consular immunity, which only encompasses the scope of their official duties. But sorting that out from diplomatic immunity in the heat of the moment might be hard.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
And he refused to sign off on W. Bush's domestic wiretapping program, so he's not a total yes-man.

Office Pig posted:

The entire Republican party has been accomplice to this since the start. A 'no poo poo' moment, sure, but to have it verified like this is un-loving-fathomable.

Yeah, which is why this isn't going to go anywhere. The Republican leadership knows that if Trump goes down in flaming scandal, they're all going to get burned.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

If Muller has subpoena power, shits about to get real
I'm pretty sure the administration would straight up destroy inculpatory evidence and let some staffer fall on his sword if they got caught rather than turn it over, and it would be absolutely the correct play. It's just that their 18½ minute gap is gonna be more like 6 months.

McConnell and Fox can spin alleged destruction of evidence; a tape of straight up obstruction of justice or Russian collusion is a death sentence for the whole party. They've aided and abetted Trump this far, they gain nothing by backing down now.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 17, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Old rule of anyone who can explain it here can't, but it seems like as weird as the doomsday planes can be, it always seems to be training or transit. Well unless the Russian's crossed the baltic borders shortly before.

There are some pretty obvious and reliable signs of higher strategic force posture, but foamer plane spotters watching FlightAware and radio HAMs listening to how often people repeat their callsign on GHFCS aren't going to be the canaries in the coal mine for armageddon, because they are always looking for secret, esoteric signs instead of the obvious ones.

If half a dozen unrelated people post, "hey, like 50 planes just took off from Minot, Barksdale & Whiteman" in short order, that's when it's time to grab your rifle and head for the hills.

facialimpediment posted:

For the purposes of this investigation, Bob Mueller is a United States Attorney. He can investigate, subpoena, depose, and bring charges. He's got everything. He's the law.
Has it been confirmed he has subpoena power? I know they said he has the power to bring charges.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 18, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Lol if you don't think Mike Pence's one job since being nominated for VP has been staying clean enough to survive an impeachment.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Naramyth posted:

There are stairs. But lol at the thought of him doing a two hour climb.

You missed the joke.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Two Finger posted:

wait what

are you telling me an f-15 dropped a bomb on a helicopter in the air

Indeed. Kill confirmed by the Special Forces team they were flying ISO. Because the F-15E owns.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I taught pilots Vis Recce all the time when I worked in a fighter squadron- they are very good at it. It's part of every intel brief pre-mission. We'll never let the pilots blame bad Vis Recce training again.

May not be true outside of F-15C's and F-22's however.

Even airlift crews are required to do Vis Recce as part of their annual training. Not all of them are good at it. I was, but I won't pretend it was a skill I ever used.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

And yeah, that helicopter was on the ground at release, and there was a SOF team lasing it...it took off and they kept the laser on target. Boom.
Actually, it was the Strike Eagle WSO kept the laser on target. It was in the article I linked.

The EF-111 crew absolutely deserved the DFCs and the kill.

Godholio posted:

The community is still annoyed that the only person to face any real blowback was the AWACS SD. He was acquitted, at least.
Yeah, that was some bullshit. It's been a while since I last read about the case, but IIRC there was (is) a fundamental reluctance among aircrew to officially condemn the in-the-moment decisions of their peers. See also: Tarnak Farms. The SD got left holding the potato when the music stopped. Not to say he didn't do anything wrong, but he was just one hole in the cheese.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
According to witnesses, the perpetrator was walking down the street, screaming, at 3AM, with a knife. Apparently the arresting officers said he was speaking, but his words didn't make sense. It sounds more like someone having a psychotic break than a premeditated hate crime.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Of course it's not racism.

The guy may in fact be racist, but wandering down the street, stabbing a guy for not getting out of your way, then just hanging out at the crime scene waiting to be arrested doesn't match the pattern one would expect of a premeditated or anger provoked assault. Every description of his behavior screams "altered/disordered mental state."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Or a cunning plan to kill a black dude for street cred and get a light sentence for bad brains.
Poor murderer has so much to live for we better not give him a harsh sentence.
He can change!
Again, that does not match with similar past events. Why would you commit a premeditated crime in front of multiple witnesses if you wanted to get away with it? Why would you lay your hopes on an insanity defense, hoping that a jury will "just" sentence you to indefinite incarceration in a mental institution without criminal culpability, when southern juries have already shown themselves willing to accept rather thin self defense claims?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Believing irrational things doesn't make people irrational actors. "That Pope Francis, total nut job, thinks he was picked by God to be in charge of the church, no idea what he'll do next." I get that y'all really want this to be about Internet racists killing an upstanding young man, but I'm pretty sure you're going to have to settle for Bowlcut McDipshit getting a needle in his arm some time later this decade.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Believing irrational things does make people behave irrationally with regards to those beliefs. I don't give a poo poo one way or the other, I'm just wondering what led to your (seemingly iron-clad) assumption that this was a case of mental illness as opposed to racial malice. Sure, sans context, someone behaving the way this shithead behaved could suggest they had a mental break. Knowing that they were an active member of an online hate group certainly muddies the waters to the point that I wouldn't feel quite as comfortable making the assumptions and judgements that you seem willing to.
Because even if you assume he truly believed that RAHOWA was imminent, nothing about his conduct makes sense.
"1) Get knife, walk down street screaming at 3 AM
2) Stab the first black person who doesn't show you deference
3) Play crazy when the cops show up
4) This will further the cause of white supremacy because ????
5) <Missing>
6) Profit/racially pure America"

In the case of the Charleston church shooter, his actions, although clearly the product of a damaged mind and horrific beliefs, had an internal logic one could follow. He wanted to kill as many black people as he could and martyr himself for the cause of white supremacy. I don't see that here.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 22, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I mean, if the argument is, "The mental processes of people who voted for Trump are so incoherent and alien to me as to be indistinguishable from schizophrenia or other mental illnesses," you're saying basically the same thing I am, just much much stupider.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mike-o posted:

I'm honestly baffled by this, who thinks that? Have these people actually ever read our subforum :psyduck:?

Have we forgotten the X CURES Y fad so fast? Like, that's just the first example off the top of my head where I'm not sure all the racism was ironic.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

suboptimal posted:

In good news about the alt right, someone confronted Richard Spencer at the gym and crushed his skull with a stack of barbells got his gym membership cancelled.

Spoeank posted:

so much for the tolerant lift

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mike-o posted:

Maybe I'm just too optimistic but I felt all of that was tongue in cheek. I'm optimistic about all you dudes because I like our dumb little forum and I "know" you guys I guess.

Maybe my own perception is coloring things but I feel for the most part we're a small forum of self hating vets who skew more towards the center-left unlike mostall other internet military forums.
Be that as it may, I hope to god I never find myself explaining to a future potential employer that, yes, I was posting on the same board as users "ROPES CURE BLACKS", "FISTS CURE WOMEN", and "N----R DEATH TURBO" but that they were just being ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

This has to be a nearly air tight obstruction of justice charge already, no?

In any other time line, yes.

psydude posted:

Flynn lied on his SF-86. So how many crimes are we up to now?

I'm waiting for Trump to pardon his entire cabinet and campaign staff, so I can watch congressional Republicans to go on TV and say "IT'S LEGAL FOR THE PRESIDENT TO DO THAT, OK?!"

• Locked thread