Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lmao holy gently caress estrada in the starting lineup tonight an an al east matchup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

What? He's been really good the last few years and is one of the Jays best/most consistent pitchers

um no i will fess up I was high and read the starting lineup and thought they had him batting ninth, my badd

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what happens if a player is ejected after he hits a home run, but before he reaches home?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chexoid posted:

[url]https:// /ShiDavidi/status/862753419773325314[/url]

>>>>>>>> When your high performance department is just too drat good

Whatever the major changes to their training regimen were, they did not loving work, drat

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, Dioner Navarro is still available? gently caress you, Shatkins.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
JEEEEEEEEETERRRRRRRR!!!!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Couple pages back but lol at people thinking Bonds should be in the HoF. Sorry, cheaters don't get in. He was a very very good cheater, yes. If he hadn't cheated he would have still been better than 99.999% of players. It's too bad but there's no 'oh you were this good so cheating is ok' threshold

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the fact everyone else was doing it, or it was tacitly endorsed, or whatever excused for cheating you want to put on it are irrelevant. he was cheating and got caught. all records are suspect.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Julio Cruz posted:

This just in, Hall of Fame credentials should be based not on how good a player you were but on how good you were at avoiding being caught taking the same pills and supplements everybody else was taking.

how do you know how good of a player he would have been if he didn't cheat? you can have a pretty good idea, but you can never be sure.

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, and Willie Mays all admitted to cheating over the course of their careers through gratuitous use of amphetamines. Should they be removed from the hall?

If they were caught taking them then yes. If they just claim/admit to have taken them no.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

But Bonds was never caught tho

oh lol well that is the first sensible thing anyone's said, if I was mistaken and he was just 'linked' than of course he should be in.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

patonthebach posted:

Should Willie Mays be in the hall?

I've already said that if bonds was never actually caught by the league then he should be fine, but I'll add that the comparisons being made between sterioids and things like amphetamines, spitballs and pine resin are pretty ridiculous.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nevermind

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 17, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

patonthebach posted:

You have really weird arguments about when cheating is ok and when its not. Are you in pre-law or something?

Also, amphetamines do more for an athletes day to day performance and off day training (especially in a game with a 162 game season) than we can prove steroids do. They are amazing for injury recovery though.

my point of view would be that amphetamines don't give you any innate natural ability, whereas steroids enable you to better physically express your natural ability.

I used to be prescribed a lot of amphetamines and I never noticed any difference when playing a sport - adrenaline has the same effect anyway. I didn't really consider off days and training though I guess. I'll admit to being a layman on this.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jummy posted:

My aunt took steroids after getting a transplant, she immediately started jacking 450 feet homers. It was insane.

thats literally the opposite of what I said but noice one liner

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hahaha what does this even mean.

it's not complicated. the best eye in the world is useless if you can't get the barrel around .01 of a second sooner. amphetamines might increase focus but they don't give you any additional ability that you could not physically muster under normal game conditions (adrenaline pumping etc)

anyways I'm the only one actually discussing anything everyone else is just calling me an idiot so that's the last I'll say on the matter.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jummy posted:

My issue is that it's just impossible to quantify how they may help so there's no point in speculating.

You understand literally about as well as you understand how steroids work, noice.

I said steroids do not give you natural ability. you sarcastically stated my position as being that steriods could give your aunt the ability to hit dingers. those are opposite statements.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Intruder posted:

Baseball players have literally always cheated to get an edge, but somehow steroids are different I guess

"Greenies and spitballs and not letting The Blacks play are honorable forms of cheating unlike steroids"

so all cheating should be allowed then

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Twenty-six adult male subjects were given a placebo, 20 mg. of amphetamine sulfate, or 800 mg. of meprobamate two hours prior to the administration of tests of reaction time and movement time. No statistically significant differences were found between mean scores or variances for the substances tested. It appears that neither drug in dosages commonly employed in connection with the preparation of athletes for competition has any effect on human simple reaction time or simple movement time in response to a visual stimulus.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hey you guys were the ones talking about willie mays I wanted to be timely

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think giving the ball amphetamines would have a greater effect.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Freeman's wrist is broken and the Braves say 'we'll have a fight tonight'

sigh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Except that the Jays will happily get upset if other teams are bat-flipping, stopping at homeplate, etc.

I have not seen this to be the case, do you have any examples?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Grittybeard posted:

After realizing that was the wrong time to try to start some poo poo.

It was a spur of the moment reaction, yes it was dumb as hell to do a bat flip there, but it's not like he went up to the plate and said 'ok im gonna do a home run then flip the bat gently caress the braves!'

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be worried about the jays starters getting injured tonight if they had any uninjured starters

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
your 'if you need to throw at someone tonight make it these guys i guess' toronto blue jays

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/865331372067618817/photo/1

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

if it wasn't directly targeting someone I would argue that it's an opportunity for a teaching moment, not a chance to fire someone. but yes it should be a big deal and taken seriously.

edit: also let's have some consistency, pillars' action was not the equivalent of standing up in a crowded quiet office and screaming 'human being' it's more like an under the breath thing that came out louder than intended. this is not intended to minimize his action.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 19, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

No one in civil society in 2017 should be throwing that slur around, any more than racial ones that have gotten people fired.

In my 21 years in the workplace I've never accidently called someone something like that, probably because it's been a firing offense for at least that long.

Yep I can totally see where you're coming from, and don't really want to make an argument out of it. But if I were an employer and someone that I thought was a respectful, good kid let slip a slur like that, it would be an opportunity to educate them about why it is unacceptable and its effects on others. What good is firing him going to do?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough. I think this could be discussed further but we're far away enough from Pillar that it should probably not happen here :)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
holy gently caress, this article http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/aaron-loup-has-a-problem/

tldr, his problem is that 4.6% of the LHBs that face him get beaned. holy gently caress.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the most handsome player on your team?

i would say devin travis, my gf would say pillar or donaldson

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
kp is now 100% good in my books again and I couldn't be happier about it. it was such an ugly stupid thing to have happen but he has handled it as well as he possibly could have.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlb/why-did-it-happen-toronto-blue-jays-kevin-pillar-reflects-on-homophobic-slur-he-yelled-at-opponent

quote:

“I’m 28 years old and I hear grown men use (ugly) language all the time, whether it’s in a clubhouse, on the field, in the streets, on a subway, on a plane. The language isn’t dead and gone,” he said. “But for me to use that type of language is not something that my wife, who I’ve known for close to 10 years now, has ever heard me use. My mother, it’s something she’s never heard me use.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t hear it, and I guess if you’re in that moment and … I don’t know, subconscious has a way of working sometimes and hopefully this is the last of it. Hopefully this won’t be a defining moment (of my career). Hopefully it will be a learning experience for me and my teammates.”

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
theyve had coghlan at 3rd for like 10 games at least though, just don't see why theyd put injury prone bautista at 3rd when donaldson will be back soonish anyway

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
got a couple tickets for the jays game on sunday if anyone wants them. right behind home in the 500s, they're pretty good seats.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Brock Holt is getting his poo poo together in AAA and has been playing for a couple of weeks.

but he is not currently.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You can be joe west when you have been around for as long as joe west imo. gently caress vick carapazza.

Punches better than beans.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Traxis posted:

The worst thing in baseball is God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch.

another great thing about the Blue Jays.

Zigmidge posted:

Sky Dome 7th inning stretch is da best

yes but I could do without the rendition of take me out to the ballgame, ok blue jays should be more than enough.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
to interrupt this fun chat, john gibbons ate at my girlfriends restauraunt with his family last week and I can confirm a couple of pertinent details

1. good tipper
2. is 'an aunt jemima kinda guy'

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
harper was right to charge the mound but wrong to call out his teammate in public for doing the thing he charged the mound for imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do the Jays still have playoff hopes?

Yes. However they will not be hitting the .500 mark tomorrow because I'm going to the game.

• Locked thread