Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Begall posted:

https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/borrowing-money-from-parents/

Earns anything from slightly above to over 33% more than the average UK wage, lives with parents on a reduced rent, lives pay check to pay check and needs bailing out to the tune of £100-£500 a month.

quote:

I’ve even been known to ask for £20 just to afford to sit in with a friend and get a bottle of wine and a takeaway. Pathetic, right?.....I work in a very sociable industry and there’s an unspoken pressure to join in with Friday night drinks, and I do need to buy clothes for work........Drinking cheap wine in a local bar......This isn’t about frivolous Millennials who don’t know how to budget

Okay, then let's see this budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gvibes posted:

I recently bought a house with a mortgage in the US without doing an inspection. I don't think it's generally required.

It is not. The banks require an APPRAISAL, which is not at all an inspection. They also require insurance coverage.

An inspection is for the buyer and not at all required.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I am in critical financial collapse and dont know what to do. I need some serious help guys. (self.personalfinance)

submitted 2 minutes ago by Ricksanchezforlife

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a5vanz/i_am_in_critical_financial_collapse_and_dont_know/

quote:

For the past few years my family has been living a fairly decent lifestyle. I made around 100k per year and my wife made around 30k. Early last year (feb) my company let me go due to cutbacks and I had a little in savings (4k). I found another job offering me 60k to start. So i took the job in April and then when I was on a vacation in June they let me go. I my savings helped us through those two months and I got a corporate job in June as well for 45k salary.

In August, my mortgage increased by $200 due to rising costs for rebuild (insurance went up and my taxes went up) So my mortgage went from 1050.00 to 1215.00 a month. I was just told that I'm getting a 4% raise to $46.8k now. My wife makes $14.30 an hour. so her pay is 30k a year. so combined we make less than I did one year ago. I am freaking tf out guys. Here are my bills:

Mortgage: 1215.00 My car: 400.00 Her car: 450.00 My car insurance: 430.00 (4 cars, both my sons are on the policy) Power: 200.00 Local loan: 50.00 Cell: 3 phones: 300.00 hardware plus service (I know this is horrible, I'm working on getting out of this) Internet at home/tv: 150.00

These are just our basic bills. No gas or groceries included here. My bring home is now 1500 biweekly and her is 746 4492 a month. We should have 1300 left over every month. after bills for gas a groceries. Thats $300 a week. I am angry and upset doesnt even cut it. I cant find where my money is going. We never go out to eat. We spend like $100.00 a week on groceries. Please help me out guys. I feel like I'm living way outside of my means here. But the numbers say otherwise.

Sell the house you can no longer afford, dumbass.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The one the irks me is super common on /r/pf: I "bought" this car. My LEASE payment is x.

Seems that about half the times the posted literally doesn't know the difference, which is an indication how they end up in that thread I suppose.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle wants to use my name to purchase house out-of-state. (self.personalfinance)

submitted 32 minutes ago by FlashElectrico
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a5wguq/uncle_wants_to_use_my_name_to_purchase_house/

quote:

My uncle who lives in California wants to buy a house in Texas to rent it out (not to live in it). Banker told them that since he lives out-of-state and planning on using the house to rent that he will get a much higher APR and down payment . He asked me if he can use my name (since I already live in Texas and do not own a house) in order for him to get a lower APR & down payment , and then 6 months after purchase switch ownership to his name. He says he has good credit and money but needs someone who lives in Texas. I’m not worried about him not making payments or not switching ownership down the line, he’s trustworthy, however I am concern as how would this affect me when It comes time to buy my own house. Would I lose first time buyer incentives? Would my credit score be effect negatively ? I’ve been thinking of buying my own house within a year or so.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Don't sell the house, sell the car he can't afford, and get your kids off of your insurance (assuming they are adults). He has 4 total cars, and is paying more in car payments and car insurance than his house payment. $1,200/mo for a house isn't bad, and he would likely have a hard time finding a much cheaper place to rent unless he's in a real low COL area.

The real problem is the guy had almost zero savings to begin with. He had less than one month's salary in the bank account when he got fired from his first job. A lot of bad spending has been happening this dude's whole life to be making a combined $130k and have so little in savings. The mortgage payment before he got fired was really low, like 10% of his income. Even with two kids, he should have been able to save more than that.

He's going to need to do all of those things, but the house takes the longest to get sold.

I'm 95% sure of this based on the presentation and the vast majority of other similar posts where the real numbers finally come out.

But I can't because I'm supporting my adult children, etc, etc so it's not going to happen. He may get his budget cut down enough to just be miserably house poor on that income.

The only way out without getting rid of the house is more income.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

My favorite from this is this reveal:

Lmbo the car he bought early this year after losing jobs and taking a 50% salary cut was a brand new kia forte. Why? Just loving why. $400/mo + ins for the privilege to drive a brand new kia, just unbelievable. And calling a car that now has 21k miles on it (also how? That's a fuckton of miles for someone whose household has 3 other cars) new. But I'm sure he just means he bought it new.

quote:

You have no equity in your current car, like from a down payment?

How far underwater is your wife's vehicle?

quote:

permalink embedsave parentreportgive awardreply

[–]Ricksanchezforlife

[S] 1 point 9 hours ago
I'll need to double check the actual financing side, but we got it after we traded in a previous vehicle.

I know the thread I'm in......but what the gently caress. How do this many people have no idea what they are doing and get sucked into buying based on payment. I simply refuse to believe this many people are that stupid. It has to be willful ignorance and excessive optimism about the future.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 14, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

Well then let's all reacquaint ourselves with the old one. It's a pro-click. An old favorite

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748155

That was a pro click.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

choose your level

Can we do a #2 without completely eliminating zoning but somehow getting the NIMBY out of it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol:

quote:

But at least they will be "focusing [their] energy on something ultimately more worthwhile," which would be anything. Literally anything. Lying down in the middle of the street and screaming would be ultimately more worthwhile than this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Shouldn't the thread title be "les petite mortgage"

Even my very rusty French tells me the thread title should be a lot of things that it isn't. But :thejoke:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

It's when you get to the larger cities that suburbs become a thing.

I'm quoting this for posterity. I'm not sure what to do with it yet, but it's just precious.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not to diminish the impressiveness of that, notice that this is essentially a pre fab office building. Most of that was done off site and you are just looking at sections being craned into place and......bolted? I didn't see any welding happening at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/d/after-3-years-not-1-client-has-been/6775811613.html

quote:

WE ONLY ASK FOR PROOF OF INCOME 2 RECENT PAY STUBS LICENSE & A CHECKING ACCOUNT STATEMENT IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THESE BRING A FRIEND AND THEY CAN ADD THEIR INFORMATION FOR YOU!

IF SSI SSD I'LL NEED A RECENT AWARD LETTER!! IF SELF EMPLOYED ILL NEED 2 MONTHS RECENT BANK STATEMENTS.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THESE BRING A FRIEND AND THEY CAN ADD THEIR INFORMATION FOR YOU!
WE DON'T LOOK AT YOUR CREDIT HISTORY................NO CREDIT..............BAD CREDIT.............CASH JOB................PREVIOUS REPO .............NO HASSLE CAR DEALS! SLOW CREDIT.............DIVORCE.............DISCHARGED BANKRUPTCY OK.............SELF EMPLOYED.............

WE HELP YOU BUY A CAR!............SSI / SSD INCOME OK WITH US 500DOWNNOW.COM for all of our inventory

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

User was put on probation for this post

You are a good mod.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

Hope you're enjoying the tag

I kinda figured that had to be you.

It's prefect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

College Guy Needs Advice Regarding Keeping or Selling a New Car (self.personalfinance)

submitted 21 minutes ago by n2018man

quote:

So I bought a new 2018 Toyota Yaris iA because my old car needed about $1500 worth of work all at once, I was broke, and I couldn't even get approved for a credit card since I had no credit history.

Toyota has this program for new graduates where they only looked for derogatory marks, not credit scores. To make a long story short the payoff amount is $19223. My interest rate is 1.9%, and my monthly payment is $368 plus $165 for full coverage. I'm about six payments in and hate the car sucking all my income.

I was thinking of buying a cheap $1k-2k car off Craigslist when I get my tax return and selling my Yaris to Car Max since they offered $12000, but I would still need to payoff the remaining $7223. Unless there is a loan specific for car payoffs a private loan at my credit union is 10.25%.

I figure I would save $232 a month by selling my car and buying a cheap car with my payoff loan figured in, but at the same time I'm a bit worried about buying used again because I always end up with junk that craps out after a year and I'm not a mechanic. I'm also taking a pretty big hit on the car value.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can I Recover From This? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 3 hours ago * by feelingkindafucked

quote:

Myself: 120k+(bonus/stock 15-30k), less 15% 401k and 10% in a stock buy program, benefit premiums

Wife: 75K, doing 5% in nurse pension,

Mortgage: 260k, 1850/mon 4.75%

2 auto : 1050/mon 1 loan @ 2.2% and 1 lease both about 500

Student loans: 110k, 1550/mon 4.8%

3 Credit Card Consolidation Loans: total 80k, 1700/mon (22k@7.5, 23k@7.9, 35k@11)

The problem is obviously our debt...it got out of control and I'm actually afraid and ashamed and I'm not sure what I should do. We also have two kids we need to send to daycare which is roughly 1500/month.

Daycare 1500/mon

Utilities 400-500/mon

Food 300-400/mon

Gasoline 300-400/month

Obviously, we need to halt all credit card use entirely or at least pay them on every week at least.

Is there such a thing as a 20yr 500K personal loan at like 5%? I could pay off all of the debt and would be able to afford the 3,100/mon payment on a loan with those terms, I know probably wishful thinking. But I do have near perfect credit (~800), never missed a payment on anything, can you talk to a banker about something like that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is a new one that made it through my spam filter:

quote:

RE: PENDING PAYMENT

Mrs. Doreen Dickson, head of a team of World Bank Investigators on special assignments in Europe and Africa. We are currently in Nigeria in Africa. Subsequent to the series of complaints against some officials because of inconclusive payments, financial misconducts and extortion, a team of World Bank Investigators has been constituted and mandated to investigate cases of extortion of money. Cases we are handling include supposedly pending contract payments, inheritance funds, supposedly unpaid lottery sums, dating deceptions, etc We are working in conjunction with the police (INTERPOL), a team of Lawyers, Insurance Companies, Western Union Money Transfer, Money Gram, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and representatives of Banks.

Your records appeared in the gazette at our disposal that you are being owed. we need to hear from you with enough evidence of proof that you are a victim of extortion by these officials and. After investigations and ratification, you will be paid fully or paid only compensation for losses incurred. At the moment, some miscreants/culprits have been apprehended in Europe and Africa. Your full co-operation is needed. For urgent attention on your case, reply by email: dtella@outlook.com and reconfirm the following: Full Name, Age, Address, Telephone Number and Occupation. You are advised to treat with urgency as we have limited time to operate.

Yours Sincerely
Mrs. Doreen Dickson
World Bank Investigation Coordinator
NOTE: Our assignment needs a very tactical and intelligent approach. To ensure our efforts are not jeopardized and compromised, you are advised to remain very discreet and confidential for the short period of treating your case.

The Nigerian Prince scam is going meta now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you're making that kind of money, there's a chance that you work in a setting where people (men) actually don't wear dress shirts more than a few times. I think its something about the collars not being the same even if you're only doing dry cleaning?

If the collars aren't the same you are buying super lovely quality shirts, don't know how to use collar stays, or your dry cleaner sucks.

In TYOOL 2018 quality made to measure shirts that both actually fit properly and last a long time are relatively inexpensive for someone who needs that type of attire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

How about $12 for 40 stainless steel ones in 4 sizes: https://www.amazon.com/40-Metal-Collar-Stays-Box/dp/B00A7L8ZKE

I know I'm probably getting old when I think "who the gently caress wears dress shirts and doesn't know about collar stays?"

I'm not sure I've ever bought a collar stay.........

But I guess that's a thing. I have a mound of plastic ones that came with shirts and/or from drycleaners and I can't see a reasonable way I could ever run out. I guess I could just start losing a lot of them.

plester1 posted:

Even some lovely dry cleaners gently caress up and don't remove them, leaving weird marks that can be seen on the outside of the collar.

This is how you know you need to change drycleaners. That's inexcusable. It's basic poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Do you prefer to rent the property that you live on or do you prefer to own the property that you live on? Why or why not? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 5 minutes ago by JanePoe87

quote:

Friends have told me that there are advantages to renting over owning. I cannot think of any advantages to renting over owning a piece of property other than the fact that it is easier to more out of an area and that you are not responsible for maintenance costs

Congratulations.....you figured out two out of three.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ohhhhh...another fresh one.

Gave my father a large sum of money that I now believe I'll never get back. Where should I put my remaining savings? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 18 minutes ago by ThiccNhatHanh

quote:

tl;dr I live in the USA. I need to move my money out of my joint Chase account (with my dad) ASAP and am looking for the right solution.

I'm in my mid-20s and had about $85k saved up as of last week (aside from 401k contributions and whatnot). Then my dad called, sobbing, to say he needed $40k immediately but couldn't tell me why. On top of this, he pleaded for me not to tell my mom that this had happened. Due to her history of severe heart health issues, I agreed not to say a word, and I transferred the money immediately.

I'll get to the bottom of the family side of this eventually but I'm not really counting on seeing that money ever again. It's a huge blow to have half of my life's savings wiped out in 5 minutes. I have been freaking out nonstop since it happened; I almost vomited when I had to write out my rent check later that day. I'm now at about $45k; I know a lot of people have it worse so I'm trying to keep perspective but this has substantially upended a lot of plans that I had worked hard for.

Almost all of my money was in a joint Chase Bank account, set up by my dad when I was in high school. I'm looking to move my remaining savings elsewhere so he wouldn't have full visibility. What checking/savings institutions would you all recommend? The parameters: I'm fine doing most of my banking online, my only use for a checkbook is monthly rent, and I use an ATM once a month at most. I live frugally and take home about $4k per month after taxes/rent. Schwab looks promising (ATM rebates and relatively high interest) but I don't want to manage the brokerage account I'd have to open to get in on their checkings/savings. And how do people feel about small online banks like Ally?

And for the poster who can't seem to find these without a link......copy the title of the post and past it into teh googles. If you have a 'puter made in the last few years you can just put it up in that "eral bar" and everything will work out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the part where he talks about a computer, I do like 90 percent of my forumsing on the phone dude, it's a real motherfucker copying and pasting on mobile

If it's that shite why do you do it mobile? If it makes it that much less miserable I'll put in links.

I also had no recollection that THIS thread decided they want reddit links while other threads specifically do not want them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://snew.notabug.io/r/personalfinance/comments/a9g9m9/gave_sister_20k_to_clear_debts_3_months_later_she/

quote:

Never had the best relationship but sister so... Have bailed her out several times before and never expected to get the $20k back.

But this time she just came back and demanded it "because more debts".

I have money but it's not an open spigot. I refused and said I will pay if she gives me copies of the bills so I can pay them directly. And... liftoff.

I don't feel I am in the wrong here - if she has really bills what is the problem? If not, what is going on?

Just replace the "r" in "reddit.com" with a "c".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Reading the top comment,

That's probably likely. So many of the "rich" assholes I've encountered like the ones in that story are more often than not, floating everything on credit and are one bad day away from losing it all.

Anyone pulling the "keep your POOR PERSON CAR behind the house where the neighbors can't see" is almost certainly someone who has a near negative net worth and a whole lot of debt. Having previously worked for a truly wealthy person, I used to see this same behavior in his associates/aspirational friends. Especially with the cars. It's always the cars. Have to have the latest. Especially if it was something he bought - all of these glom ons had to go buy a Lexus when he finally gave up his 15 year old Corolla and bought one. (More often than not he still just drove around in the 10 year old farm pickup).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Counterpoint: buffett flies private

I know one of his Netjet stewdaresses who often crews his personal flights. She calls him "Uncle Warren". Apparently he's a sweetheart and the staff loves him.

Ixian posted:

Warren Buffet owns Netjets, a subscription service for private jets, and it costs more for a single flight than his lifetime of McD's breakfasts paid for with loose change.

......which he started because he's trying to min/max one of his luxuries rather than just owning a private jet outright for himself (which he can clearly afford).

I'm not disagreeing with you that the frugality on breakfast sandwiches is quite odd in comparison to this, just that it appears this is his robot mindset about anything whether it's cost is measured in pennies or dump truck loads of $100 bills.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

He does it so he can show off how much he doesn't need to care.

I think I get where we're missing each other. I'm seeing "robot money making mindset" and you're seeing "image projection".

I don't doubt there is a mix of this tilted one way or the other depending on who we're talking about specifically.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

because their wealth projection operates at a whole different level

Don't confuse attention whores doing well that have decided to mortgage themselves onto the desperate brink of appearing wealthy with actually wealthy people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Plenty of really wealthy people own expensive as gently caress cars though, and plenty of other luxuries.

But they also overwhelmingly don't have a public profile.

It's when you want both that you have to start playing games with public perception. Or if the reason for your wealth necessitates that level of publicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ah, time shares.

Timeshare and How to Unload (self.personalfinance)

submitted 12 minutes ago by mustangsally14
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ab0xmn/timeshare_and_how_to_unload/

quote:

My parents bought a time share some 10 years ago with the Vistana Vacation ownership. They were convinced last year to switch to a points based system with SPG in which they get 81,000 star options per year. The total amount due was 29k with a 13.9% interest rate. I know this was a terrible financial decision overall. How do I get them out of this now? What's the best way forward to make them not lose all their money. They have 1 year banked and an additional 50,000 Starpoints from the deal. I would really appreciate any advice, and please let me know if I need to provide any details.

.....they got suckered a second time. And didn't even get a second time share out of it.