Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hello, I'm in the process of remodeling a bedroom and bathroom (master) and am trying to do this very quickly so I can move in to a house that we bought on short sale.

We chose flooring and tile today!

Bedroom floor using the wood on the left, bathroom cabinet (minimalist bathroom with good amount of space) using wood on the right.

Bathroom floor using the large grey in the middle, shower wall/floor using the two acid/textured tiles, and tub wall accented with the light grey to the left. Add white for all appliances/counter top.

Hopefully this wont go completely wrong.

Please ignore the 1980s era dark blue floor tile in the bathroom we are trying to replace. And the 1980s era faucet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Youth Decay posted:

Here is some eye candy since I feel like I only post fugly houses itt

That's a lot of very old style color palate for an entirely custom house.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Here's a toilet.

And a shower but yeah.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

SpartanIvy posted:

Post the fixture coward

Ill do it when it's installed but that's later

Azza Bamboo posted:

The important thing is you haven't cut a hole in your floor.

Actually there was a hole that was cut below the sub-board, that is why you see the replacement piece of wood there. It was determined that there was dry rot due to a previous plumbing leak, but was minor enough that reinforcement would be fine for structural stability.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Basically plumbing and framing suck to DIY so I didn't.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
wrong thread

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Wait, have you bought the house yet?

The easiest way to match is to start by taking a picture to a paint store; they will give you suggestions. You then take the color swatch they have, do some comparisons, then ask for a small quart of the paint and do a test run on a piece of cardboard.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Almost done -

I will post the toilet when it's installed. Plumber ran into some small issues.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

ntan1 posted:

Almost done -

I will post the toilet when it's installed. Plumber ran into some small issues.

And here's the toilet

We are waiting on the shower to be installed because a part will arrive tomorrow (issue with rough in), but beyond that we are then ready for final inspection.

Beyond that there's touch up + installation of accessories like hanger, bidet control console, etc.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

That's a very good range. Do you cook a lot?

Also, was there asbestos beneath the kitchen vinyl before you remodeled?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Those roofs aren't flat.

Also tiling that shower correctly isn't hard.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The design of the above room is actually pretty neat.

The design of the below room? Well it feels like you are picking the nose of a cow if you sit in the bathtub.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The issue is that the gamer chairs have to be poo poo because of how cheap they are.

Legitimately those 1300-1400$ chairs that offices have are good for a particular reason. I have a herman miller at home and it is significantly way more comfortable than any other gamer chair I've seen.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
That interior wood design and quality is very good even if it's not my style.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Our contractors just finished today, with everything with the city squared away. 2nd floor Bedroom/Bathroom remodel including the stairs (will do more major stair stuff in the followup downstairs remodel)

Before: https://imgur.com/a/D3RuwLW

After: https://imgur.com/a/BM8szT0

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
That vanity is a custom (full) and costs around $2500, including materials + labor. It's made by a local company in the bay area owned by a bunch of Korean people.

Typically a custom will probably be closer to $4000 (they get expensive very fast). Consider going semi-custom instead.

Basically, don't go custom unless you have infinite amounts of money, or are looking for something very specific.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
that house is really bad for feng shui

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi I'm currently writing this post from my recently remodeled deep soaking bath tub.

Also there's nothing wrong with having an electrical outlet near the bathtub as long as it's GFCI and wet rated.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

I don't know about that particular brand/model, but LVT is surprisingly nice stuff. You'll probably be happy with it.

It entirely depends on the product - there is a lot of really bad LVT out there, and there is a lot of really good LVT out there.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

actionjackson posted:

Having a shower so big you don't even need any sort of barrier would be kind of cool

And then you realize it's always cold while you take the shower and then it's not cool.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
R.E. Windows -

You also do have Awnings and Casements in the US, beyond just sliding windows. For example, my house has a bunch of casements, and awning for the bathroom, and then sliding for the kitchen + garage.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

actionjackson posted:

This palette is similar to what you mentioned, though the color is more similar to my floor.

Go with an off-white greige then. (That's probably the safest, modern choice today). You'll be able to get some of the green undertone, while still adding some contrast to your floor color, brightening up the space, and not appearing too blue. Use a standard white trim color.

I know this is a really really boring and standard choice, but there's a reason for that :).

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
i would not want to deal with the maintenance of that tub

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
My remodel project is going for a lot of minimalist vibes.

There is also the modern bay area trend of postmodern minimalism.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "monochromatic"

The problem with this house (besides the awful kitchen layout) is that there is a lack of careful toning. Grey in a very large room also looks way to neutral and has no warmth to it, so it's not interesting enough to stand out and makes the area look dull.

Like, I deliberately went for monochromatic use of grey in my master bathroom, but you have to understand toning + purpose of the room very well. Sorry the images dont really do the below bathroom justice (because the floor tiles below have an acidic shininess but dont reflect well in a camera lens).

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

falz posted:

Why do you have brown towels of two different shades in your grey bathroom, smh

(yes I see the pebbles are brown)

No that's because i'm waiting for the rest of the remodel to finish before actually shopping and matching things like towels.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

actionjackson posted:

i'm guessing you are a computer toucher because that poo poo does NOT look cheap

Yes, but it's less than you think. The tile priced around $7/sqft for material.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I actually like the color originally on the wall the best.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The two main reasons are going to be (1) lighting conditions (so warmth of your bulbs + amount of sunlight and hue of your sunlight) and (2) preparations for painting. So for the testing, did you re-primer before paint before you put the test patches?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

actionjackson posted:

I enjoy walking past this house, not interior but whatever. no curves at all love it

Dislike - here in the bay area especially near my neighborhood there are a lot of super-modern houses that completely look different from the other houses in the block. I'm of the opinion that a neighborhood should have some cohesion, but you can do anything you want inside.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You heard it here folks: looking different is bad. :geno:

Like, have you seen some of the houses constructed here? I understand that you want houses somewhat unique, but there is a too much to that.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Besides the first image there, all of the rest of the rooms just seem too busy to me. The first one there is there to evoke a really thoughtful bathroom, but the others seems too busy to relax in as a bedroom.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
the houses actually in AD are beautiful, even if I dont want to live in them.

The houses where the realtor thinks they should be in AD are all poo poo.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The first one looks like a lovely hasty done remodel of an eichler that uses some really loving cheap tile (shame that the grout lines look 1/16), cheaply done cabinets, and colors that don't match. The hood looks god awful in relation to the rest of the house, and the kitchen doesnt even have enough space to begin with from a luxury point of view. That kitchen triangle looks utterly awful as well, with basically no good space for prep.

The second has giant ugly columns, super ugly (but probably actually cheap) recessed lights, and a layout that is miserable for a bedroom.

The third is just self explanatory trash.

The last one - the ceiling paint doesn't look like it was steady, but it also appears the crevices indicate that the ceilings might eventually buckle, and that's what it looks like to me. This wouldn't fly in California due to earthquakes, and the angled shot probably hides some other major structural columns in the wrong place as well. The lack of a hood, closeness of carpet to the cooking stattion, and terrible placement of the HVAC overhead detracts from the house.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Shoji is completely and totally my style (as an Asian, really like Japanese architecture/style), but most of the houses there are overdoing it. A good use of washitsu requires quite a bit of minimalism. The focus should be on the wood, siding, and trim, not all of the other dumb poo poo people are trying to mix it with. IE, second image probably works. Most of the others, not so much.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Move the rug three inches away from the fireplace so there's equal space on both sides and see if that looks better (I'd have to see it to make any judgement). Otherwise looks fine.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The main issue still is the color. I suppose I'll comment about it since other folks are now saying it, but the moment I saw the rug my personal reaction was "oh, the color doesn't match".

Looking at your other photos, the main issue I see and why you're leaning toward this rug is that the space is dark and too grey. So I think you have a couple of options.

(1) White rug, providing contrast with cherry wood.
(2) If white is too bright for you, you can go for a griege, beige, or gray rug, but make sure it's pretty light.
(3) You can go with a classic patterned rug, maybe the above as a base + a minor subtle color as a secondary.

Orange usually evokes "fun" "lively" or "energetic", which is probably the opposite of cozy. You're also mixing a very modern style rug with a more classic interior. Finally, you have a good cherry floor, and cherry wood tends to want to take the focus, since it's a decent material. The orange there takes focus away from the cherry wood in the floor.

The original setup for your rug is fine, like others have said.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Slugworth posted:

Wait, is that rug really considered a modern style? I'm no designer, but it looks very contemporary to the furniture and that fireplace to me.

You're technically correct.

Modern and Contemporary are often interchanged today. Technically, you are right in that the rug is contemporary, as modern usually refers to a particular trend from the 1920s to 1940s. This is then enhanced by midcentury modern, postmodern and minimalist, which kind of combine to our modern definition today. Contemporary refers to the style that is popular nowadays, of which both modern and postmodern are two of the most popular trends today.

The furniture (the two chairs) probably would be considered mid-century modern. Because it also uses neutral colors, it could likely be transitional. The problem is that the rug is a more postmodern than mid-century modern (because it has super bright colors, isn't very muted), and the rest of the decor in the house is trying to be closer to midcentury modern or transitional.

It's hard describing style though because every house in the US is now often a gigantic mess of all of the different trends ever.

FYI: I'm not an interior designer either, I've just had to do way too much remodeling.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Josh Lyman posted:

How much can I ignore the room itself in selecting furniture color and how does this relate to rebuying furniture when you move? My living room has eggshell walls (looks a little less yellow irl), molding a few feet above the floor, and a horrid fireplace that I want to hide with a curtain or large piece of art. I had settled on a 5 across walnut Ikea Besta media console but Youtube videos and the Ikea catalog got me thinking: if the room were just a white box, I would lean into my Scandinavian aesthetic and get that console in white and replace my coffee table with something white/light grey to pair with this incoming sofa and a dark blue area rug. This prompts a number of questions.

Would a white console/coffee table look worse than light/medium wood in my current living room? If yes, should I ignore it and just buy the white furniture anyway knowing it'll make me happier in the long term? Or am I forecasting my tastes too far out? Should I accept the reality of rebuying some furniture when moving and just get the walnut Besta?

Your flooring and fireplace are too transitional to do a white cabinet. And, even still, when a lot of folks are doing white cabinets, it's either for the kitchen, or it's a glossy laminate. Ikea would just look out of place.

Also note, Scandinavian design does indeed incorporate color carefully (usually neutral wood colors) into a house. IE, a white table or cabinet will have a tiny bit of wood either in the doors or the tops. A white table will often have a neutrally colored or even carefully tinted rug or some colored chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
On interior design trends, I do get the impression that European and Scandinavian influences are becoming extremely popular in the last two years. Part of it is a strong response to the use of grey from around 2015 to 2019. So we're back to careful uses of light wood neutral colors to counteract gray.