Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

When I see that kitchen, all I hear is "I love how much my dishes are covered in sticky greasy dust all the time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I really want to know the backstory on your red text, it's fascinating.

I "won" a dorkroom photo contest. I fully deserved it, so I kept the text.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

What do you think is going to look dated and silly about this? The only thing that really strikes me as objectionable is the stools, although I guess I'm not certain how I feel about the cupboards as well.

I can't speak for others, but the wood color and the style of cabinets - while simple - is pretty striking. Striking usually means dated in a few years.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

those little buildings on the top of your bookshelf :allears:

You guys are in for a treat if you love model trains. Baronjutter has a boss trainset.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

One of the things about "HGTV Style" design that everyone on TV forgets is cleaning. I do the majority of the cleaning in our house, and I watch those shows and after everything is staged all I can think is "it's clear that the interior designer never thought about having dust all that poo poo"

Our house has incredibly hard water, so everything gets coated in calcium deposits almost immediately so keeping things clean and stain free is a priority. The previous owners were incredibly dumb and went with that brushed pewter finish all over the bathroom so naturally a week into owning the house, all of our taps are practically frosted with calcium. Any thoughts on how to keep that stuff clean? Soaking in vinegar and Dawn works great for dishes once a month, but it's tougher to soak taps.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Easiest is probably to fix the problem at the source. Can you install or upgrade a water softener? I know they make filtered showerheads that should at least help.

It's tougher. We have a septic system too, and all the RO systems that will really get rid of the calcium backflush to clean themselves, and that's bad for a septic system. Whole house filter is on the table, but they're kind of expensive.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Living with hard water and septic system sounds like a real nightmare.

The septic isn't bad really. I've had houses with both. You get the tank pumped out ever 3 or 4 years for $200 and only human waste goes down the potty. The water is more annoying. It's like municipal well water (our supply is an aquifer) and it's much of the downsides of the well - but since its municipal we don't have to worry about things like a well head or tanks or any of that. The water is so hard though it tastes salty which is annoying. We have a tap filter for drinking though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Arachnamus posted:

You say HDR, I say render. No way that fire's real, and could you even make a seamless window with an angle like that?

My dad makes "transparent armor" (bulletproof glass) and they also do architecture glass. You could definitely make a window do that, but it won't be cheap.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Totally looks like something from Blade Runner.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Put yr fire above the TV for a trendy twist on an old classic

I'd actually love to see one of those wall mount almost fake fires that use Sterno or house gas or something mounted high with the TV mounted where the fireplace would go in a "normal" design.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Let me introduce you to the scourge of Terry Tedesco

http://www.terrytedesco.com/PhotoGallery.html

Columns, columns as far as the eye can see.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

It's basically the house from "Meet me in St Louis"

Edit: Not exactly, the house in "Meet me in St Louis" was a Victorian rather than a Queen Anne, but that interior is close!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

You know those kooky russians on youtube that 'heated' their house via electrifying a piece of metal which hung through out their house?

W-what?

:catstare:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

bobua posted:

I get a 'I'm a single white dude that idolizes the idea of 1950's long workday bad father scotch and cigar guy' vibe. Am I wrong and bad?

Also, Mid Century Modern fetishizing. i.e. your Grandma's furniture.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I can't believe you leave all that unsightly slowly rotting fruit just laying around where people can see it

Please. Those are plastic.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Tag yourself, I'm the popcorn ceiling.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

lavaca posted:

Oh man, reclaimed wood and subway tile in the same kitchen. What a great way to say "flipped in 2006, flipped again in 2019".

Subway tile with white grout is 2006. Black/grey grout is “in” for the next 20 minutes.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

cyberbug posted:

A fireplace like that is always going to spread a little ash, splinters of wood and wood dust on the floor if you actually use it. The stupid rocks are going to ensure that you're never going to keep the floor clean unless you're willing to move the rocks away, brush them, sweep the floor and move the rocks back.

Also that's a very boring rock collection.

I figured the rocks were a cheap way to get some heat sinks in front of the fireplace.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Look at this scrub that can't even do hospital corners.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Urcher posted:

Here an old video about kitchen design to get you started https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2N9RCQjPqh4

I don't mean to distract from The Bathroom That Became A Meme, but this video is super fascinating and got me thinking about the stations in my own kitchen.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Where would I find like old interior design photos? We recently bought a raised ranch from the 60s (68 specifically) and I'd love to get some ideas about what was "modern, good design" from back then. It's just a raised ranch in an old housing development so it's probably not super MCM, but when I search I get a lot of that stuff. I'm looking more for what John and Jane Middle Class would be getting in their late 60s house.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

if you’re willing to fudge some of the details a bit or make the house “late 60s/70s appropriate” rather than “time capsule from 1968, on the dot, no later” and if you’re smart about the history/aesthetics behind certain contemporary pieces you can do something really gorgeous for comparatively little money.

So much good advice, thanks! Here’s what we’re working with:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hey raised ranch! Whatchu doin all white like that? Whatchu doin pretending you some kind of colonial or mcmansion or some poo poo? Did some know-nothing HGTV white bitch paint you up like that in the 90s? The early 2000s? Well that’s some bullshit ya heard you best get some design-appropriate tones on you. Get that youthful glow.

It’s aluminum siding, so it was probably made white relatively early on in its life. But outside colors are on the list!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Metaline posted:

This is the mirror image of the house I grew up in! I wonder if your layout is the same. Where are you located? I grew up in Georgia but a high school friend near Toronto had the exact same house. This baby gets around!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This is a mirror image of my aunt and uncle's house in Ithaca. I wonder how the floor plan compares.

The house is just outside of Albany NY, I quite enjoy some steamed hams now and then. Here's my bad drawings of the layout:

Upstairs

Downstairs

The drawings are only a basic idea and I've never gotten the scale right in my entire life, but the .5bath and laundry room really is that narrow. The dryer sits in a little bump out that bumps into the garage.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Which season is barred from the three seasons room?

Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Real Answer: It was apparently a deck that was enclosed a while ago. It's bright and airy and has a BOSS whole house vent fan that is excellent for drawing kitchen smoke out of the house, but it has no insulation so it's very chilly in the winter. In the Spring/Summer/Fall we plan of making a lot of use of it.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I need opinions on what lampshade I should buy for my Granddads lamp. When he died all the extended family was asked if there was anything they wanted. All I said was “I want the spooky lamp” and everyone knew what I meant.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Not bad. It’s been banned from the house proper so I have to keep it in the office or garage workshop.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

For the Thread Challenge have

The B-B-B-B-B-BREAKERS

An honest-to-God Vanderbilt house, open to the public for you to go and gawk at (it's very cool, i've been a few times) but as such their website doesn't seem to have a lot of photos. Found a couple though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This sounds like a upscale lifestyle magazine for pirates.

or a Hipster bar masquerading as a british pub.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

So This Old House has a pay feature "This Old House Insider" which in addition to a bunch of other bullshit I don't care about gets you access to all of the episodes.

ALL OF THEM. I just binged the first season and it's amazingly charming and low rent. Plus, you get to see how much things have changed - no air tools, no cordless tools, very few electric tools. Oh dealing with lead and asbestos to! Lead? They actually mention it and talk about keeping kids away and wearing a mask and collecting chips and dust and disposing properly, in 1979! asbestos? Nah gently caress that stuff *pushes over asbestos covered cast iron boiler and goes at it with sledge hammers to break it up into pieces to haul out of the basement.*

Edit: why is this in the design thread? Because you can step through what was "up to date and modern" design from 1979 on. It's interesting to see what was "new and modern" back when each series was on the air.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

drgitlin posted:

It is pretty amazing. I got as far as the end of season five but I’m a bit burned out on early 80s fashion and solar houses for the moment.

SWITCH TO NEW YANKEE WORKSHOP. Watch Norm make stuff!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I swear that was my pediatrician's office around 1984.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Now that's a floor! :eyepop:

"I'm not a sucker, the building supply place just GIVES away the sample tiles!"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Who wants to add “confined space drowning” to the way they can die at home!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-kansas-megamansion-has-a-network-of-underground-scuba-tunnels-11567174818

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Motronic posted:

They're really wide so I'm guessing manual milking stalls, but the feed pit on the other side is kind of a giveaway.

I don't care how much b-i-n they put on the walls, on hot days that room smells like cow and silage.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Is that for a Masonic lodge? Do they exist in the US?

Do they exist? The Masons used to be huge in the US. Every single podunk town (at least
Up here in the Northeast) has a lodge or the remains of one.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Dammit I missed taxchat. My property and school taxes are fully half of my mortgage payment a month. HALF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Kase moch posted:

Hello fellow New Yorker, I weep with you

:gonk::hf::gonk: