Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Any recommended books on craftsman style bungalows? Or (interior) craftsman style in general?

In the process of buying one from 1900 and ho-boy it needs some updates. I’m thinking ‘industrial farmhouse’!
‘Industrial’ anything is sort of philosophically opposed to the idea behind craftsman/arts and crafts stuff, but you do you. Look at stuff by Greene & Greene- the Gamble house especially. Much of Frank Lloyd Wright’s early interiors are good craftsman inspiration as well.

In general, I’d say there tend to be fairly rich, bold colors, with contrasting (or often stained wood) trim, very often oriental rugs, and an emphasis more on geometric than organic shapes. Lots of brown oak furniture. Look at the Stickley furniture catalog too-they’re very appropriate (and expensive).

My local library always has a ton of big glossy $80 coffee table books back in the art/art history and interior design sections. Poke around in there and you can probably find something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Corrugated metal roofing is for outside, not for inside. Those bar stools are the most heinous things I’ve ever seen. They obviously spent a pile of money of cabinets etc. and then have an ugly cheap electric stove in the middle of it? I’ve never understood big fancy kitchens for people who don’t cook.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I built this table for an interior decorator and can't decide if I like it or hate it. It's red oak bleached to very white (but not as white as blindingly white as it looks in the pictures on my screen). She's kind of doing a black and white thing with the room which is sort of neat. I think I might like it better once it's been 'decorated' and isn't so white white white. The house was originally built by a family in the lumber business and has the most gorgeous, perfect 6-8" wide quartersawn white oak floors you've ever seen and nice cypress paneling in alot of it too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That was my thought the whole time I was working on it, but she obviously never saw that in it. Before it was bleached and the wood was very pink, it was inescapable.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's impressive and mostly looks good, but the sheer amount of glass involved is a little worrying. Also, what's up with the windows in the back of this shot?

Depending on the facing of the house, they might allow for natural light but not direct sunlight-close the shades on the two that face SE in the morning and close the two that face SW in the afternoon. They might also give privacy from the street but still let in natural light. Kind of a lot of trouble to go through if that's all they're for and they do make some awkward interior spaces, but it looks a more interesting from the exterior than just a big flat glass wall.

I loving love that black and gold lacquer Chinoiserie secretary and bamboo chair.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

vonnegutt posted:

Part of the reason it looks SO orange is because the walls are a very cool neutral currently. It's going to make any other colors next to it look more saturated. If the walls were darker and warmer, the wood would look more like just wood instead of orange wood. Or you could lean into the orange wood color and do a deep navy/teal wall to really show off that wood. We did this with our master bedroom with a similar color floor as yours and it looks pretty great, if I do say so myself. This was the color inspiration we used:

We accessorized with white and brass tones.
I really dig this and those colors, but I’m not so sure about the spindly iron porch furniture inside. It just doesn’t look comfortable or inviting. Some small white wood/upholstered chairs would look great, or even like some small gilt side chairs to go with the big gilt frame and brass hardware.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s like Memphis but worse.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

If you ever go rich-bastard antiquing in the US you can find warehouse stores entirely dedicated to heavy wood furniture imported from the north of France. A lot of it in worse condition that that piece, so we're probably getting whatever wont sell over there.
An antique dealer friend of mine says "If it is doesn't have woodworm, it isn't French," so I think you're right that we don't get the best stuff. It's funny how differently constructed French and English and American and German and Dutch and other continental furniture is from each other. The English love tiny little fine dovetails and then I've seen French pieces with just one huge dovetail holding the front on. The French love overlay doors with fiche hinges and big armoires and the English built everything with butt hinges and built dressers and linen presses instead of armoires. I wonder what caused the differences aside from just local style/taste.

That piece is quite nice though. The inlay/marquetry work looks like a lot of 18th C Dutch stuff, but then the carving looks more French/continental, so I guess that makes sense for Belgium since it's stuck between the two.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you are sort of handy and don't mind taking a bit of time to do it, caning a chair is not super hard especially if it is press in cane. The materials are cheap too. Or yeah, you could get some upholstered seats made.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't imagine it selling new for less than, oh, $5k. You're talking a lot of skilled labor for construction, carving, and marquetry plus a nontrivial materials cost.

Used, who knows? It depends on factors like how popular the style is right now, what kind of shape the specific antique is in, how much the seller is willing to spend on storage vs. waiting for the right buyer...
Lol, if only. New as a custom one off/reproduction, you're probably looking at closer to $10-20k+. Both marquetry and carving are quite slow, skilled, delicate work. If a factory started cranking them out and they cut plenty of corners and machine carved it, I could see it getting down to $5k ish.

As an antique, that particular heavy style is even more out that most antiques. There are loads of dealers who probably would be happy to be rid of something like that for ~$3,000 (unless it is just huge or has particular provenance or something) so they can buy some MCM or Biedermeier stuff that they might actually be able to sell at a profit.

Antiques, especially Georgian/Regency/Edwardian English stuff are a super good deal for the buyer right now. You can get a gorgeous Georgian mahogany linen press for like $1000 because flat screen TVs killed the antique linen press market completely, and it would cost $6000 easy to get the same thing made new to the same quality. Antiques will be back in style someday (and they never went out of style for lots of folks), and you'll be glad to have something to give your children that isn't made of plywood.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are the two openings on the left side places you need to walk through or just windows? If windows, I’d try swapping the TV and couch and then have room for some small end tables for the sofa.

Even with the couch where it is now, two small, round end tables would give you somewhere to set a drink and you’d still have plenty of space to walk through the opening. The couch is already sticking out into the opening so it wouldn’t look much worse. It might even look better/more intentional, and you could stick a low table or shelf behind the part of the sofa/end table in the opening so it reads more ‘room divison’ and less ‘hey our couch is too big for this tiny apt’

That being said, I think a low, narrow, rectangular table a little shorter than the couch is wide would be fine and you can put your feet on it too. I hate footstools as coffee tables because then you just spill your drink on the not very flat top of the footstool and the floor instead of just the floor.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve sat in real Tolix chairs and I’ve sat in fake tolix chairs, and neither one is particularly comfortable, but that was never the point of the original design. A chair was required that was durable, stackable, mass producible, cost effective, and not actively uncomfortable-it succeeds brilliantly at all of these things, and they look alright to boot. I have no idea why anyone would want one in their house because they are definitely not the most comfortable dining chairs around, and they are not going to be put to the sort of abuse that they would be in their intended commercial setting to justify the sacrifice in comfort, but to each their own. To the extent that knockoffs are sacrificing durability and quality they are, to me at least, missing the entire point of the chairs-their reason for existing is their indestructibility.

Factory furniture is generally never going to compete with custom furniture in quality of materials, finish, or design because it has to be made to suit a mass market price point, and as Prada has pointed out, that generally leads to a race to the bottom in quality as most consumers care only about price. Educating the consumer is very important-people see two tables and they think they are comparing apples to apples, and why does one cost 3x what the other costs, but in fact the two, while perhaps functionally identical, are worlds apart. Furniture designers, like artists and architects, have to get paid for their work, so by cutting out their royalties/commissions knock off shops can cut their prices even further, and create less and less incentive for anyone to bother coming up with a new design, and we are all much poorer for that.

I’m in the custom furniture business and I always tell people to see if they can find what they want off the shelf because I mostly cannot compete with factory stuff on price, though I think my quality is far superior. And, from a design perspective, I can provide my customers with exactly what they need for their space-the right size, proportions, finish etc. There are, thankfully, enough people willing to pay for that luxury to keep me and many others like me in business, but it is admittedly a luxury. It’s well worth trying to seek out local furniture makers-they are probably going to be a bit more expensive, but not always, and your money is going straight into your local economy and not to China and shareholders via Restoration Hardware corporate HQ. The nature of the piece makes a huge difference as well-I can actually make a solid mahogany pencil post for around $3000 that should last 200 years and that is reasonably competitive with a lot of factory stuff that won’t even make it 50, but I can’t begin to make a chair for less than $800.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was looking at some local crafted hardwood tables awhile back and they were around $5k and all the reviews of the local joineries were full of people like "$5k? I can go to West Elm and get the same thing for $500!"
If they’re happy with a $500 West Elm table, that’s probably the best thing for them. If they’re shopping there they’re probably trying to stay pretty on-trend and gonna toss it in 5-10 yrs anyway. You can’t please everyone and it’s a waste of time trying.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

peanut posted:

buy used
Is exactly right. Dealers can’t give away decent but not extraordinary 18th/19th C antiques these days and they are a serious bargain right now. Lightly sprinkled in with more contemporary stuff they offer a nice contrast and look great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Also a bunch of random luggage 10’ in the air?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it low beds or thick mattresses that are the contributing factor these days?
It’s thick mattresses and thick box springs. The height to the top of the mattress is usually 30” or thereaboutson a 4-poster, but now mattress+box springs have gotten to be like 18-24” thick (30yrs ago both together might have been 12-18”) and so all my bed rails are almost touching the ground and look dumb or the mattress/springs have to hang down on low angle irons below the rails and you have to get a dust ruffle to hide them and that’s a pain.

E: you really don’t need box springs-slats with a piece of plywood on top or a bunkie or whatever work fine but a lot of mattress manufacturers won’t honor their warranty if you don’t use their box springs, and now they even require additional support under the bxoxnsprings because they are basically building the box springs out of toothpicks and popsicles sticks and paper mache.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 21, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Doesn't that somewhat defeat the point of the slats?
Yeah you don't really need the plywood, but if you cover it in batting/fabric it'll keep splinters out of your mattress and I guess theoretically spread the load out between the slats more evenly? And with no box springs you don't want gaps between the slats.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A structural engineer is who the architect is going to call. If you google/call around around and tell people what you’re trying to do you should be able to find a structural engineer that does a lot of residential stuff. You may have the best luck calling a small residential architect and asking who they use.

If you are getting whatever changes you are contemplating permitted etc. the engineer is going to have to take a good bit of time making/stamping a drawing-if you and bubba are just going to do it yourselves (you probably shouldn’t) the engineer can probably just tell you what to do and pretend they were never there and just charge you for a consultation or something.

You also might actually need all those poles.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

Also I LOVE this dresser. They had the low version at the outlet but not the tall one

https://www.bludot.com/lap-tall-dresser.html

I think the reason I like it so much is because you can't tell how many drawers it has. It gives the illusion of either having many or none at the same time.
Woof woof. That's a dog.

It misses the point of clean lines by instead having a million lines that are unclean and make the edge jagged instead of straight and those legs look like a baseball bat handle and they taper the wrong way. It's like someone just took all the bits and pieces that make midcentury stuff actually good and stuck them together and flipped them upside down with no context and said "$2000 plz"

But that's just one opinion.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

drat you people

I also like the series 11 stuff

https://www.bludot.com/series-11-collection.html

shale

https://www.bludot.com/shale-modern-casegoods.html

I feel like the credenza would work well as a chest of drawers replacement

Also here's the nook bed. It does look pretty comfortable and I like all the color options

https://www.bludot.com/nook-bed-queen.html

Both of those look like office furniture to me, but they're a whole lot better than Snoopy's house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

The wall paint is likely water-based if that helps, you could probably remove it without affecting the trim, depending on how it's finished/painted. Gentle circular motions with a damp cotton swab might get the job done.

Might also be worth trying to just sort of push/break/chip it off very lightly with something appropriate for how soft or hard the underlying surface is.
Razor blades make great little scrapers. Don't try and cut with it, look up a card/cabinet scraper and use it like that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks like a buttplug for two. I like the idea of making ugly things interesting though

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ah thets jest a Alabama doublewide, move on nuthin to see.
RMFT, y'all.

It's a little too red and not quite crimson enough though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks like your standard deep south well-off white dude house with 3000 square feet, a 4-wheeler shed, and a gun case in the living room. I guarantee you somewhere on a wall there is a framed LSU/Alabama/UGA/Clemson/Arkansas/Ole Miss painting of some kind
Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson helping Bear Bryant coach the bammers to victory over LSU would be a great painting.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

AND a pull up bar. I was thinking old white dude until the warcraft poster after which I'm recalibrating to 30s white dude, which explains the lack of a framed stars & stripes folded into a triangle.
Possibly the son still living at home too.

Other possible biography- successful late 30s/early 40s bachelor suing lawyer with plenty of money and no taste that hired his mother’s decorator to make his bachelor pad look like his mother’s house but masculinized- leather furniture instead of chintz and wood everywhere. House is for sale because he got married and the wife hates it wants to move somewhere else and paint EVERYTHING white and get some arts with smears of gold and white on them (she might even be the artist behind these creations).

There’s also a banjo in the corner of the bedroom for added whiteness.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bad Munki posted:

Holy crap, it’s happening, just got a pic from my guy, the finish on the mantel is done:

I can’t wait to get personal with that thing, the color and texture is amazing, I know I’m gonna spend way too much time sliding my hand along the face, all 15’ of it. Centerpiece for the whole drat floor.

That looks awesome-that's a big damned hunk-o-walnut. They did a great job toning/blending in the sapwood too (assuming there was some as it's live edge?) Do you know what the finish is? I've never thought about using foam to hold stuff on while finishing-I like the idea, but would be worried the solvents in lacquer would make a mess of it. Gonna have to experiment with that now.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Me likey!

It's got cracks! Commence TooMuchAbstraction triggering......

I've never seen sapwood that well integrated, I think he carved it off. Doesn't sapwood grain there kinda dumb out like poplar? He HAD TO HAVE CARVED IT OFF!
You should have hung out with Mr. Flexner more! Dumb out is the right phrase for poplar sapwood and finish-I have no idea why it does stupid stuff with stain. Walnut is much more cooperative, and a spray gun full of toner/shading lacquer choked down to basically an airbrush is a wonderfully useful tool.

Bad Munki posted:

It helps that the guy doing this is the husband of one of my wife’s co-workers. Based on my math, we paid wholesale rate on the lumber as if it were the same total board feet but just in normal size pieces of 4/4. Maybe a little more, but not terribly. We got it straight from the tree farm, which is owned/operated by a friend of the guy doing this for us. It’s all about the network.

Here’s the same piece in April of 2017. It’s pretty amazing to me to have picked out the very log, drawn the centerline for what we wanted, and then here we are.

Does he just grow walnut for the timber or do they collect/sell the nuts too and then harvest when they're a certain DBH? I've always heard stories of walnut rustlers stealing big trees out of people's yards in the midwest where walnut is reaaaalllly happy.

Also that dried real fast, but walnut is pretty cooperative stuff drying. That's got to be like 16 or 20/4?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

Toilet tax: gently caress it, I just want this bathroom

It's a crib. Welcome to the nursery of the damned.
I loooove that wallpaper. It reminds me of this fabric I need some throw pillows out of, but it’s like $200/yd and I don’t need throw pillows that badly. (Nobody needs throw pillows)
https://www.fschumacher.com/item/172935

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PetraCore posted:

I was poking around Zillow in my state and I think I found the motherlode of mismatched mcmansion interior. Mind there's like 50 pictures so I'm only showing the best stuff.

Most of these rooms individually aren't bad and maybe even almost pretty good, but all in the same house it's a bit odd. I wonder if it was a decorator showhouse thing and that's when they photographed it?

Thread Challenge:
Most any English country house would suffice, but this one from Robert Adam (Harewood House) is really doing it for me. Give me some deep rich colors please. I love the yellow wallpapers, and scarlet damask silk with lots of gold and green marble is and fancy plasterwork is hard to beat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Having been in places like that, I'd say those are more reluctant museums than anything else.

Oh yeah I don't think they were/are particularly comfortable looking places to live in, but they are awfully nice to look at.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is there a ladder in the kitchen?
Probably goes to a sleeping loft or god knows what. Given how obtuse everything else is, that's probably where the only bathroom in the house is.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is there a way to look at photos like this and know whether it's solid wood or laminated? I'm not terribly familiar with furniture shopping, given that I've lived in small apartments up until now.

It is oak, possibly ash, but 90% sure it’s oak. The drawer fronts and face frame at least are solid wood, as is the edge banding on the top. The top itself could be veneered or could be solid-it’s a bit hard to tell.

How to tell? It’s hard sometimes. Hints that it is veneer are that all the bits of wood look the same and are matched up well with each other. If you could look at the end of those drawers, you would see end grain (the rings from the tree trunk) and that means it is solid wood. Veneered particleboard in particular is heavy as poo poo. Antiques are often surprisingly lightweight and some modern solid wood stuff is too.

That being said, solid vs. veneer is not in any way a reliable marker of quality. There is plenty of cheaply made garbage furniture made of screwed together solid wood that at a given price point might outlast similarly priced veneered stuff, but isn’t inherently more durable than a well built veneered piece. Lots of incredibly fine antiques, much mid century modern stuff, and a lot of. Very high end contemporary designer stuff is veneered.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I haven't bought it (and haven't decided if I will). And I'd never paint it. All I'd do is try to refresh the finish, since as you can see on the front, it seems to have some real wear.
You miiiiiight be able to get by with a good cleaning and waxing, but it looks like the finish on the front is either worn away entirely or cracked/crazed. It probably needs to be stripped (chemically, you don't strip stuff by sanding it unless you're an idiot and like clogged sandpaper) and refinished, all of which are best done by a professional and it's gonna cost several hundred dollars, which is probably substantially more than it is worth.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What the gently caress is the finish on that tallboy. It looks like the laminate on the cabinets at my work.
The picture is bad, but it looks like it's either trying to be a faux bois burl of some sort or maybe faux marble. Or maybe someone just 'yeah do a spongy beige thing on it, that'll look nice"

That house paid a reasonably skilled faux finisher's bills for a year or two.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Took me a minute to find the boat in the last one, but some of these aren’t bad. The sunroom with the botanical print daybed thing looks like a very small peasant room to sit in.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The “in-law’s suite” in the attic is definitely for the servant, not your in-laws. I’d wager all the bedrooms in the attic (note only one bathroom between them) are for the servants.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FoldableHuman posted:

Absolutely. That's why they have a stairway that goes straight down to the Butler's Pantry.

I particularly like the disconnect between 1914 luxury and now with how the kitchen is completely disconnected from the flow of the home, separated by multiple doors no matter which direction you try to go, because if you're 1914 rich why would you ever go into a kitchen except to fire the scullery maid? Contrast with modern rich where huge kitchens are typically part of the giant open-concept lump of main floor living space.

edit – gilded-age rich meets modern rich: the troublesome-to-access kitchen has a dining table and a giant EAT sitting on the counter

And bizarrely, two microwaves in the butler’s pantry. I hadn’t noticed before, but there’s also a tradesman’s/servants entrance just to the right of the main front door that goes to the servant’s stairway and another off the kitchen. It’s kind of amazing the lengths and expense old grand houses like this go to keep the staff out of sight.

E: the too big kitchen probably wasn’t actually too big when it had a big table in the middle for the servants to eat/work at.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 13, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Back in the late 19th / early 20th century, Wallace Nutting was big.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Nutting

He's was a fascinating nut, and famous and collectible in a bunch of odd niches. He made pretty good reproduction colonial furniture that's now quite collectible and valuable when everyone else was making pretty bad victorian furniture. He was famous in his own life for those hand tinted photographs of the New England countryside that are I think still mildly collectible. He also wrote two very good volumes on antiques, and then a third volume (Furniture Treasury Vol 1-3) that has very useful drawings, but the text is almost entirely unreadable angry screeds about how bad modern (1920s) and victorian taste is/was, and subjectively trying to decide if this turning is prettier than that turning.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PRADA SLUT posted:

im the dick ejaculating flowers and the guy sitting on a dildo

e: maybe this should be next to the cum tub
dont doxx me bro

I like the gold ceiling light fixture over the (kind of neat) gold sideboard. It's like dangling balls-the gay boob light.

Notably phallic table legs as well

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

That's a Tom of Finland book. The smoking nun is just camp.

I thought all his stuff was black and white?

There is a book called FOREVER BUTT over the TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It has always been, and will always be, 1997 in this house. Also wtf with that weird tiny green room with glass blocks and a little nook?

E; 1992, apparently