Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish there were more Supports, but you take what you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Zore posted:

Are they at least less weird about it than with Catria and Cordelia?

Well, yes, in the sense that you don't have a borked Support pairing system where Cordelia can be pining and hopelessly lovestruck for Chrom two years after they both married.

But Faye's situation is explicitly portrayed as something deeply weird and unhealthy for her.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I think she's a yandere, not some weird meta-joke

She specifically detests change of any kind and wants herself and Alm to stay in their quiet village together forever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's the initials for Fire Emblem. FE.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

lol what

The rest of the ignorance aside, what on earth does 'There's no real religion on this' even mean in this context?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"Hi, welcome to our headquarters. Just so you know, it's crawling with zombies. That's not gonna be a problem, is it?"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Andrast posted:

Are there any obvious choices for items I should trade between armies with the merchant?

The Blessed Lance should go to Celica, because she fights way more Terrors than Alm.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I forged Atlas a bow named "Plz gain Spd."

Does Sniper give any speed boosts? Please say yes. :gonk:

You wanted a fast character and didn't go Mercenary->Myrmidon->Dread?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Silver Bow + Ward Shot = gently caress you Cantors/Witches/Etc = Archers are Cool and Good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Crawfish posted:

I want that bitchin shield at the end of chapter one, but I can't really be bothered grinding the sheer amount of levels i'd need to take that bitchin sheild.

You just need Lukas and Forsythe to be Knights and a decent amount of Mages/Archers + Lightning Sword wielders so you can do more than 5 damage a turn. Which is still grinding, but not very much.

Lure him into a corridor so only two units need to cover him, Warp one of the knights to the other side, and then start wailing on him. Smack Slayde in the face every once in a while to make him go cry at the healing points.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

How would you even beat Desaix when he has the Dracoshield? No way to cheese him since it gives like 20 def/res

Minimum damage in Echoes is 1 Damage.

Note he still heals 5 HP (again thanks to the Dracoshield) so you must hit him at least 6 times per turn to outdamage him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

I know I may regret this, but what exactly do you mean by a Tharja ending?

She never gets over Alm. That's pretty much it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Peg Knights are middling until they promote to Falcoknights whereupon they get huge boosts to survivability and you can fly them wherever you want to go kill poo poo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The wind map allowed you to manipulate the winds to move faster and get into good enemy range.

The worst map in Conquest is the terrible kitsune map.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

braindead simple one turn dungeon clears are kinda fun in a braindead way

I mean, I don't play strategy games to not think.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Faye is best girl not for personality but because she has successfully murdered about half of Rigel's standing armies via Nosferatu.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's gotta be more accurate spells for her to use.

Yeah she gets Seraphim but this is an Enemy-Phase focused game and Nosferatu is the default counterattack.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Conrad is a new character added for Echoes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Berkut is a great addition if only because Ian Sinclair.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

So I decided to make a small trip to the Temple of Mila in Act 3, which... Actually led to Palla, Catria, and Atlas all leaving my party.

Can I get them back? Or are they gone forever? :ohdear:

You can re-recruit them from the towns immediately.

As an added bonus, they don't leave unless you do a story mission that takes you further away from Grieth's temple so you can enter the Dragon Shrine immediately after that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I think this game proved pretty conclusively that limited supports are better than expansive supports. A hypothetical FE4 remake would obviously go full shipping stimulator but other than that I hope they leave the idea alone

Except to put shipping in Heroes, they should do that

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy who finds the Supports in Echoes to be mostly blah. Like there are a couple gems (Clive/Mathilda and Alm/Faye come to mind) but a huge number of them are not only incredibly short, but also functionally about nothing. (Tobin/Kliff, looking at you.)

Edit: And immediately after I type this I get proven wrong about being the only one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

hey at least Faye made a new friend

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ok also as long as we're discussing presentation, how did they manage to drop the ball SO HARD when it comes to Critical Hits?

They use the normal smiling portraits which just doesn't communicate any intensity, and we know they have serious/stern/shouty portraits to use. And the quotes are all completely lackluster and the animations pale in comparison to the rest of the games' amazing combat animations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean, would you want to have sex with clive

I mean, Clive's thing is that he's charismatic and good at relations (he gives passive supports to pretty much the entire Deliverance) but isn't that good at stabbing people.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Actually Gray is the only one who leaves the village semi-regularly to go buy stuff from town.

Hence him starting at level 5 while everyone else is at 1.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You can always just leave them be until you get to the next shrine ahead, you know?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Thank god for expel. Just dealing with the last bandit map and due to my strategy there was an almost never ending swarm of the damned undead. One expel later and there was just one easy to kill terror left.

On another note, how does leveling up work with upgrading mages? Does it just track total levels in mage classes or would I have to get the spell as a mage before upgrading them.

Total levels. Don't worry about waiting to promote.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Use Falcoknights

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Go back to the Docks ASAP.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

So is the general consensus that the post-game dungeon is not fun and not really worth doing?

Also, who is the guy in the yellow armour on the Gaiden boxart?

Valbar.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love how at one point Jedah (endgame spoilers) starts laughing about how once Celica is sacrificed Duma will regain his sanity and usher in an age of chaos, when Rigelian society has always been portrayed as extremely orderly and overly regimented if anything.

I really think they completely lost the plot in Act 4.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Nuibaba's abode is the map I took one look at and went 'gently caress it. Warp/Rescue Cheese strat.'

Cake Attack posted:

is making atlas a merc a trap

it seems so obvious

More Dread Fighters is never ever a trap.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Atlas can be an archer postgame after he loops through Dread Fighter and actually gets some Speed to use.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tae posted:

Whoever you fight, you kill. So Deen fight=Sonya.

Besides the fact that Sonya is a fast mage and Deen is another billionth merc on Celica's team, Sonya has some main story connections.

Deen can become a Dread Fighter though, so Deen is better.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

okay cool. Now which of the villagers can I reclass to a permaloop so I don't have to worry about stats?

Merc - Myrmidon - Dread Fighters - Villagers

You can also use the free DLC pitchfork for a onetime loop which should max out most stats.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Alm is supposed* to be the only one who can defeat the Final Boss. Just FYI.

* You can use Clerics too since they apparently carried over a bug from Gaiden but well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

wait, the growths in fates turn your characters into useless sacks of garbage?

Maybe he tried using Rinkah.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Edit: I struggle to see the appeal of Faye as a cleric. She does get some useful spells but having two healers at the start of the game seems wasteful.

Cleric Faye can kill things, heal things, Rescue things, and in endgame/postgame, Refresh things.

She's a swiss-army knife of murder wrapped up in a pink ball of PTSD and obssession with Alm.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Everybody mentions the killer bow, but I have no idea where it is

Forge and evolve a Silver Bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Now, a question: for a late-game Dread Fighter Gray, should I hand him a Brave Sword or have him stick with Lightning? Foudroyant is pretty great, but enemy Res is getting quite high.

A forged Brave Sword is way better lategame, especially when you need Dread Fighters to run up and murder an Arcanist with Death.

• Locked thread