Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.

I know it's not part of your recommendation, but I also recommend actually watching Twin Peaks, and watching episodes of Dumbland instead of James' side plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

notthegoatseguy posted:

So Michael J Anderson (Man from Another Place) has apparently gone completely off the deep end and is trashing TP and Lynch on social media. His Facebook is full of pro-Trump stuff and its unfortunate that he won't be a part of the show.

Sounds like it was a wise decision to not let him be part of the third season, then. I think it's extremely fotunate.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Here's hoping it's like FWWM meets Lost Highway.

FWWM meets Twin Peaks would be more up my alley, to be honest. I'd also dig Mulholland Drive meets Wild at Heart, if that's an option. :v:

And More fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 18, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DrVenkman posted:

THE STRAIGHT STORY is so good. It's just a nice little character study. Also, a lot of people in here neglected to mention THE ELEPHANT MAN, which isn't really indicative of Lynch either but is a fantastic movie.

Apparently, half of Lynch's filmography is not actually in his style.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

spudsbuckley posted:

The new 4 episodes are completely in the tone of FWWM insofar as that they are arthouse dogshit for pretentious assholes to wank themselves senseless over whilst Lynch laughs himself to the bank over being able to sell a bunch of nostalgic garbage to morons solely by attaching his name to it.

This man is one of the greatest carnies of all time and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

I love how you went from

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm glad y'all are enjoying it

to "you're all morons and Lynch is a con man" over the span of three pages.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 22, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PoshAlligator posted:

Is American Gods "weird" like this at all? Or is it more Supernatural-esque weird? Any other reccs for similar shows to Twin Peaks and Hannibal by anyone?

Lars von Trier's Kingdom is pretty good. However, it also ends on a cliffhanger, just like Twin Peaks did. American Gods is a lot more grounded than Hannibal was, but since it's made by the same guy, there are a lot of similar aesthetic choices.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I've been meaning to watch Wild at Heart since I never seen it, is it any good?

That really depends on how much raging Nic Cage you can handle.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Which effects have actually been CG? Was the tree CG?

I also can't tell whether it's unintentional. The gruesome deaths have certainly been very well done.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vier posted:

I have seen the first episode of the original series,, and I just watched episode 1 of the new series.
I am going to take a guess here and say aliens are behind everything which was slowly revealed over the original two seasons? My question is have I ruined the first two seasons now I have watched this?

I am also not sure if I have the time to commit to the first two seasons is there a good analysis video I can watch if this is the case?

Thanks.

Here's a very succinct summary of the first season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIa7B3SXjI

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, its definitely not completely out of left field to suggest aliens, Briggs worked for the government on Project Blue Book and its implied that's where he gets his info about the White Lodge.

It's not going end up just being standard grey big-headed aliens though, its more of a walk-in spirits from another dimension beyond space and time kinda thing.

It barely even matters for the plot. They could be dimension-hopping dragons, and it wouldn't make a difference.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The FB group delivers once again:

That facebook group sure is wacky

PoshAlligator posted:

Lynch has been watching too many memes. Couldn't help but think of this when watching, so I made the dumb thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drz6MNUigMU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Alright, well credit goes to PoshAlligator then. The FB group is just where I see most of this stuff because they post TP-related stuff all day long :shobon: Of course some of it isn't gonna come from them

I just thought it was funny that you didn't notice the meme when it was posted in your own thread. :shrug:

Anyway, that scene is hilarious to me, even without the music. The rotten potato on a tree yelling "non-exist-ent" and Cooper's comical expression crack me up. The falling-part itself is actually somewhat graceful, but then Coop's landing just looks goofy because of his flailing and the indifferent wide shot.

edit: That was the wrong word.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 23, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Lord Krangdar posted:

Well they notice he's acting like he had a stroke or accident. His wife seems to not really realize anything is wrong. Could be just a weird choice, or maybe she's part of the decoy plan set up by evil Cooper too.

From the moment Coop left the lodge, he's had crazy good luck. Jade, the limousine driver and Dougie's wife are basically guardian angels. They don't really behave like normal people because their purpose is to protect Cooper, not to be rational. I don't think there is anything sinister going on.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It seemed like Dougie had an actual life, which in my mind is pretty tragic considering his fate.

Considering he would have gotten iced upon leaving that house under normal circumstances, I'm not sure it really matters.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

business hammocks posted:

Could be that evil Coop sent them to kill good Coop once he came back. Otherwise, nothing yet. Maybe people who confused Dougie with evil Coop?

It kind of seems like they're going after Dougie himself, since they put a bomb on his car. That only really makes sense if you think the guy will act like the real Dougie. It also seems like a lot of effort to go through just for gambling debts. So, I dunno. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

In fact, the first sentence of the revival consists of The Giant saying the following:

"Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds"

Advice we should ALL take for the span of this series, not just Agent Cooper.

Then maybe you can help me confirm whether there is a muted toilet flushing sound during the non-exist-ent scene. I can't quite tell whether that's just what my brain wants to hear.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheMaestroso posted:

My Annie Judy Josie - gone

It's actually My ojisan Ed - Genuine joy. David Lynch still thinks Big Ed is the coolest uncle out there.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

I think it's representative of how much more sensitive everyone has become to all sorts of things than they were 25 years ago. Back then, people still would let their kids play outside alone for hours, and kids were more independent - there weren't even cell-phones so parents could always get in touch with them or vice versa. Laura's abuse and subsequent downfall would have happened in an extremely different manner now than the way it occurred then. The shift of both technology and perception and overall public consciousness has been fairly extreme as a result of the digital age.

This doesn't really ring true. In the short scenes at the Sheriff's Department, we get news of a teen seemingly overdosing in the classroom. People appear utterly blind to the horrible things happening right in front of them. It doesn't really matter how well we seem to be connected.

quote:

And now I'm reminded of the odd "problem" that Lucy has with cell-phones, and how she simply just *cannot* adjust to the fact that people can be mobile and talking on the telephone at the same time, since her entire world (as we saw it last) revolved around working with the clumsy limitations of the telephone. And her perception of that apparently is unable too adjust. Makes me wonder what Cooper's adjustment will be like, ultimately.

Now, this is a good example of how things have changed. Lucy can't adapt to the disconnect between sound and place that happens when someone walks around with their phone. They may sound like they're in one place, but they might actually be driving or walking, and you wouldn't be able to tell. Conversely, Gordon can have a whispered conversation with Albert, but god forbid Albert actually takes a step. Technology changes things, but it also deceives us in certain ways.

I think Coop will be fine, though. He's always been able to marvel at and adapt to weird things. A very fancy tape recorder is probably not going to break his mind (any more than it already is).

Your essay posts are fun to read, btw.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn't there a rumor that Tim Roth would be playing a re-cast Jefferies?

That doesn't seem likely to me, considering they straight up replaced Truman with his brother in-universe because Michael Ontkean was unavailable. Lynch really took major steps to not re-cast anyone other than Donna and the brain tree/dancing man.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

JazzFlight posted:

Ehhh, with the way this show deals with supernatural elements, it's easy enough to recast but give it a rational explanation like the Lodge's magic changed his body.

Surely, anything less than a loving brain tree would be pretty disappointing, though. Tim Roth is alright, but he doesn't quite look enough like a rotten potato.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kulkasha posted:

You're not a real fan until you get a massive tattoo of BOB on your face

Fairly sure you're supposed to tattoo the face of an owl onto your forehead. :eng101:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

genericnick posted:

Sounds like bullshit. Did that actually happen to anyone we know? Leland only got possessed.

Look at you doubting Hawk's authority. :rolleyes:

I always figured Coop got set up for failure. He was prepared to face Windom Earle, but it turned out that there were worse things waiting for him inside the lodge. This is why we get scenes of the doppelgangers chuckling at their little game. It's all going according to plan. Still, Cooper got screwed over, but he didn't get utterly destroyed like his old partner.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Franchescanado posted:

His first response is to run away to the entrance. He wants to get the gently caress out.

That's kind of misrepresenting how that sequence goes, though. BOB tells Cooper to leave, after taking Earle's soul. Coop is followed by his doppelganger who chases him to the exit.

He isn't running away because he's afraid, he's running away because he's leaving.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think that's a stretch. He's walking until he sees he's being followed and then he hauls rear end. He also shows a fear response and runs off when shadow Laura starts screaming at him earlier, as I recall.

His doppelganger isn't actually confronting him, though. He's hiding behind the curtain, and Cooper only notices him when looking back. The doppelganger's trying to get to the exit first without the real version noticing. I think Cooper hauls rear end because he knows that, if he is too slow, the doppelganger leaves, and not he.

Shadow Laura is a weird one, I'll grant you that. Cooper looks pretty freaked out by her, but then it seems like getting out of dodge doesn't do him any harm. Notably, we get a fear response with Laura, but not with his actual doppelganger. Even Leland doesn't seem to freak Cooper out as much.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think you're likely making retroactive revisions here. How would Cooper know anything about these rules that were just explained to him in S3?

Fairly sure I thought this after watching season two for the first time. :confused: Maybe I phrased it wrong. I didn't mean know in the sense that someone actually told Cooper what would happen. My assumption was that he figures bad poo poo is about to happen, and he should leave.

quote:

If the doppelganger was trying to sneak out then he would have just left when Cooper was distracted by any number of different things in the lodge. I certainly didn't see any hiding going on.

This is what I mean. The doppelganger doesn't step out entirely until Cooper has left, too.

The lodge also doesn't operate on real-world logic. Otherwise, the dancing man would probably not cartoonishly rub his hands together when he tries to poison Cooper.

quote:

"Cooper, you may be fearless in this world. But there are other worlds. Worlds beyond life and death. Worlds beyond scientific reality."

Shouldn't he have been utterly destroyed, then? Hawk said so. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You're welcome to interpret things however you please, obviously. […] That said, in this case it seems odd to me to build a narrative of Coop as a kick-rear end superhero […]. Seriously, one of the things I love about the lodge scenes in the finale was that Cooper was clearly in over his head for the first time and frightened by the things he saw. This was a bad bad trip for Cooper. The demolition of Cooper as a Mary Sue into an actual human hero is way more interesting to me than keeping him invincible and flawless.

I don't know where you're getting that superhero stuff from, but I think we can agree that Cooper hosed up when he
a) failed to stop Earle from kidnapping Annie
b) was dumb enough to follow him into the lodge
It was a very human, selfish thing to do, and it had some pretty dire consequences for the rest of the world. Whether Cooper showed fear or not doesn't really make a difference because he gets played like a fiddle by BOB, either way.

Rewatching the scene with shadow Laura, interestingly, Cooper doesn't start running until Windom Earle's face flashes in front of his eyes. Of all the things he sees in the lodge, Earle himself seems like the one person Cooper is truly afraid of. That's probably why he gives up his soul so willingly. He genuinely thinks he doesn't stand a chance against Earle.

quote:

I really want to hear how Cooper describes his experience, so it would be nice if he'd sort himself out, soon. :shobon:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Well, Cooper is a cool guy, but he makes some really bad decisions, particularly over the course of season two.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You think Cooper is scared of Windom Earle, but not Bob and the other lodge inhabitants?

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, he probably realises that he overestimated Earle and underestimated BOB when Earle gets his brain fried. Cooper just doesn't get a reason to fear BOB because he technically lets Coop go.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I mean he's Cooper's former partner who became a crazed makavalian serial killer and murdered his own wife who Cooper was in love with, that's pretty spooky.

Earle also always won at chess. You know his rating was probably pretty high. :ohdear:

Listen, I'm not saying it was rational.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

GimpChimp posted:

I'm kind of interested that Evil Cooper starts out on top of things with setting up Hastings and Dougie but does obviously a loving horrible job appearing remotely normal to Cole and Albert. I get the impression that there's internal tension between Cooper the host as intelligent and perceptive mask of sanity and BOB the psychotic id parasite.

Seems like he did just about everything he could to attract attention. I've got a sneaking suspicion that bad Coop got caught on purpose.

Franchescanado posted:

Also, is Denise worried that Gordon is going to try and gently caress the female FBI agent? Because that's what I thought that whole conversation was: "She's young and pretty Gordon, you have a reputation. What are you doing trying to bring her along?"

Yeah, that's the impression I got, too. Maybe that was a reference to him making out with Shelly?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

eSporks posted:

Saw this on facebook, the warehouse box scene synced up with the purple room.

I'm not convinced there is any relevant connection there. I feel like its just people see what they want to see, but the 2 scenes do have eerily similar pacing.

For some reason it didn't occur to me until I watched this video that the twitching creature inside the box could be from the same place as the woman who has no eyes. They move very similarly.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Apple Craft posted:

Challenge Accepted

Fair warning: The PC version is extra broken, nigh unplayable garbage. You can have a look yourself. Skip to the 4 minute mark of this video.

If you want to actually play the game, Xbox 360 has the "best" version. The Director's Cut on PS3 is the most playable one, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 4, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Deadly Premonition is basically "What if The Asylum made Twin Peaks?"

The game looks like crap and plays like crap, but the writing is surprisingly good. The Asylum version wouldn't even tick that last box. It would also likely include more dinosaurs.

I'd like to see a version of Twin Peaks in the vein of their Sherlock Holmes adaptation, btw.:

And More fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 4, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I think it's fascinatingly​ weird but there was nothing about the writing that I thought was good. The giant frog fight with the Andy-Denise hybrid is close enough to a dinosaur.

It's still a way better Twin Peaks fan game than Virginia was though.

Yeah, at least Deadly Premonition is funny, even if you don't appreciate the writing.

Origami Dali posted:

The best Twin Peaks video game was that Black Lodge game somebody made in the style of Atari2600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtPgZLB0RZs

There are also some interesting Twin Peaks homages in a bunch of games like the Blair Witch game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9VRPlOEZpc

or Sword and Sworcery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EhN-z29Hoo&t=1298s

And More fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 4, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd never seen this interview before:

Peak Lynch.

And that's how he came up with the diner scene in Mulholland Drive. :v:

And More fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 4, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Martian Manfucker posted:

I thought the exact same thing. That, or a b-side off Crazy Clown Time.

It really reminded me of Trent Reznor's way of singing. Turns out it's probably just a distorted version of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ozSIN_3Xk

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Basticle posted:

well thats disapointing

I think it just goes to show that "Crazy Clown Time" is a valid tempo for more songs than you'd assume.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Moai Ou posted:

Did anyone else notice a green flashing light on Dougie's lying coworker's face before he called him out? More Black Lodge powers?

Yeah, I think that's what prompted Cooper to call him out. I think the light was red, though?
e: Just checked. It was green and flickering.

Everyone getting very impatient with Dougie at the end of the elevator ride was just perfect. Naomi Watts is in a lot of trouble if she can't figure out on her own what number to call. Dougie isn't going to fix her problems.

Was Tammy Preston noticing that Doppelcooper's finger prints were the wrong way around?

And More fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 5, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

Oh sweet Jesus :stonk:

FWWM is one of the few films I can still watch like it's the first time because I've repressed most of it. :getin:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

I thought the guy in the booth (Robert Horne, really? As in Audrey's son probably maybe?) was kinda channeling Frank Booth a bit. And I did not intend that pun, but maybe someone did? Though it came off less creepy and more downright brutal, but that's creepy in its own right. Especially at the roadhouse where most Twin Peaks fans watching regard as a more or less "safe" place. Was a bit of a fakeout really with the way Lynch ended the last 3 episodes!

I remember David Lynch specifically mentioning that he wasn't going to bother writing or editing for a TV format. He left it up to Showtime how and when they wanted to end each episode.

quote:

It's funny because my favorite fantasy series growing up (which I regularly re-read) is Ursula K. L Guin's Wizard of Earthsea series. There are 5 novels and a collection of stories in the series, but the first one is the one most have read or remember clearly. It's a fairly archetypal story of a young man who is a talented, but jealous and arrogant student of wizardry/magic (this was decades before Harry Potter and a very different kind of story), He winds up performing a very powerful spell that he cannot control, and in doing so sets loose a sort of metaphysical shadow of himself - the shadow is everything negative about the protagonist made manifest, and it pursues him ceaselessly in an attempt to take over his body and use it for extremely evil purposes. Sound familiar?

The book is very much influenced by Taoism and the ideas and philosophies of eastern religions, so I hope I'm not spoiling things when I say that the first book ends with him learning to understand and accept the shadow as a part of himself, understood and accepted and simultaneously mastered and surrendered to. In a way, I wouldn't be *totally* shocked if something similar happens here. That he will not be "Special Agent Dale Cooper" as we knew and loved him again until all the different parts of him floating around - good and bad - are brought together in some way.

While I could imagine something similar happening, I really hope Cooper isn't just a vegetable for the next five to ten episodes. The show itself has started getting impatient with him. Even Naomi Watts shouted at Dougie until he got out of her car.

Earthsea is a great series, though. I particularly love the second book with it's useless protagonist getting stuck in a dark maze. Kind of like Cooper, actually. It's a real shame that there hasn't been a single good adaptation of them. Even Miyazaki left Earthsea for his son to screw up. :sigh:

And More fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 5, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

InfiniteZero posted:

I actually prefer having more time to unpack and speculate on whatever the gently caress is happening in a single episode for a week instead of just being baffled completely by a group of episodes.

I don't understand how somebody could binge watch this show and pick up on everything but everybody watches in different ways I guess.

Personally, I like to just watch stuff and see what sticks, at least the first time around. Getting super analytical right off the bat tends to take me out of the experience. :shrug:

Also, this is a lot easier to watch than Inland Empire or FWWM, so binging it is fun rather than anxiety inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He's a perfect example of why you should never let anyone say you're not handsome enough to be in pictures. :colbert:

You mean this guy?

I mean, I guess he's more pretty than he's handsome?