Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

multijoe posted:

Nah, we means when TMfAP eats the Garmonbozia at the end at his face becomes this freaky shadowed chimp face.

Also, I have no idea but between Lynch pulling a similar trick in Inland Empire and Lost Highway I'm guessing there is some intended thematic meaning :confused:

I don't think the monkey is supposed to be TMFAP transforming or anything.

Honestly, the monkey has confused me for the last 25 years. The best I can come up with is that the monkey is Phillip Jeffries in whatever form he's using to attend the Black Lodge meeting above the convenience store. Like how Bob can maybe take the form of an owl in the "real" world, Jeffries took the form of the monkey in the Black Lodge world? The only other time you ever see a monkey, it's in the scene where Jeffries is saying he's been to one of their meetings, and you see the monkey's face peering from behind a white mask. And then, of course, the monkey says "Judy."

Who fuckin knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
That establishing NYC shot was really cool, but it should be noted that Lynch didn't shoot that. It's just stock footage.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
It doesn't matter to me that it's stock footage, I only mentioned it because of the posts that were propping Lynch out for having shot it. As director, Lynch definitely deserves props for integrating it into the show, particularly the way that he paired that image with his sound design. The shot did rule, and it definitely set the tone and the mood for those New York scenes.

I only knew that it was stock footage because I had read on another forum that someone had almost bought that footage for his own project, and he recognized it.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/...l/13559366:1/3p

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Cromulent posted:

That reminds me of when Lynch was on Leno (or another late night show) promoting FWWM. They showed the dirty fingers scene at the end of the interview, and the live audience responded to it by laughing - and not an uncomfortable smattering of laughs, it was like they were watching a comedy. It was really quite strange.

I've seen FWWM a couple of times in the theater, and it tends to play weirdly with an audience. Either people are so uncomfortable, their response is nervous laughter, or else they just think it's so absurd or badly acted or whatever that they're laughing at the movie. Happens during the Leland revving the engine scene, too.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I bought the vinyl soundtrack for the original series today and it doesn't have James' Song on it. I'm glad they made the right choice.

It came out before S2.

They put it on the Season Two Music and More release, thank god.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And I hear that Inland Empire is like, the "most David Lynch" of all of his works. I'm GOING to watch it, but I'm irrationally nervous about this, and I feel like it's going to profoundly horrify me even as it entertains and amazes me.

Maybe someone could say what it's essentially about beyond just "a woman in trouble," or "a person in LA has an identity crisis?"

Inland Empire is about an old story with a curse on it that envelops and consumes whoever tries to tell the story. Laura Dern and Justin Thoreaux play actors who get cast in a movie, not knowing that the movie is based on this story and is thus cursed. The curse is sort of hard to explain, but it's based around the idea of men controlling women like they are trained animals, and when the woman tries to break free, expressed often through infidelity against her "handler," it leads to violence and murder.

The movie that Laura Dern and Justin Thoreaux are making turns out to be a remake of a Polish movie that was never finished because the curse took hold. Inland Empire is a complex web of scenes that can be difficult to parse, because at any given time you may be seeing the movie, the actors, the actors making the movie, or the ripple effects of the curse on the people involved. This includes the Hollywood movie and the Polish movie.

Good luck.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Yeah, Johnny Jewel worked on a bunch of music for this season, which is what the Windswept album is. The show has used "The Flame," too.

All non-Badalamenti stuff has been credited each episode. I've got a Spotify playlist going of everything so far.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

cliffy posted:

Link the list!

https://open.spotify.com/user/chime_on/playlist/7MwRSbWJjJtwa0AefQLnrC

I only put one of the two Uniform songs. I didn't put "Take Five" on there because it's the hold music at my workplace and I don't ever really need to hear it because of that. Didn't put the Penderecki on there because this is mainly for driving, and I don't want to drive off the road in despair.

Other than that, I think it's complete.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The move to 8pm on August 6th was announced before Twin Peaks even premiered.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just caught up with this episode and I just about died when James did his song again.

Was that lip-synced or does he still somehow sound like that? It looked a little off but it's hard to tell with that echo effect.

All of the Roadhouse performances have been lip-synced...

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

Nearly all of Lynch's films have been cut shorter than he wanted due to input from the studio. Perhaps this has actually benefitted his work and giving him total control is working to his detriment as he doesn't know how to edit his ideas.

Not true at all. Lynch has had final cut on everything he's done since Dune.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
It's in FWWM, although what appeared in tonight's episode seemed like a different take to me.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

if its not bowie then probably julee cruise, she was on the list. probably doing "falling" and it would be poetry.

If we don't get a new Julee song written by David and Angelo, I'm going to be really bummed.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

I had to pause for a good few minutes after the WILSON!!! moment because I was laughing so hard

Like I'm laughing again just thinking about it

Instantly reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rb9QwKqsEU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

The Walrus posted:

I think ~50k was the population on the original show, no? Seems like it's gotten bigger since then.

edit: yes, 50k was the population of the town on the first run. or what it was stated to be, anyway. It was intended to be 5k by lynch. who the gently caress knows what this all means. maybe that image means everything. maybe it means nothing. I love this show.

The Access Guide to the Town book that came out back in the day stated that the town sign was missing a decimal point, and that the actual population was 5,120.1.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I haven't read the book in 25 years-- it vanished into my high school girlfriend's collection when we broke up. But that was definitely in there.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Bummer to see people who haven't even seen FWWM proper talk about how it's improved with a bunch of stuff edited into it by internet randos. I just don't get it, it's like people advocating for the Alan Smithee cut of Dune.

The Missing Pieces are cool, they are amazing to have, and it took decades of fans begging and Lynch fighting with rights owners to get them out there. The fact that he got them all color corrected and edited them together into a nice 90-minute package is awesome. He's done that with Blue Velvet and Inland Empire as well, and these featurettes are great compliments to the films themselves. I would advocate that people just let them be what they are, instead of pretending that there are two versions of FWWM.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, bummer how I like the version that has some of my favourite scenes in it :jerkbag:

It's a bummer to me, yes. FWWM is one of the best films of the 90s, and there are people in this thread thinking that they're talking about it, but they're talking about things that are not actually a part of the film. It confuses and obscures the actual art that Lynch created, both with FWWM and TMP.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

eSporks posted:

Is the 2x4 scene available online anywhere? It sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPcLOtbG3s

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

hanales posted:

Yeah that's hyperbolic. It's not even the top Lynch film of the 90s.

I love all of Lynch's films with the exception of The Elephant Man, which still has plenty to like about it. FWWM to me is neck and neck with Eraserhead for his best film, full stop.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The Sunset Blvd scene last night was amazing, such great acting from MacLachlan.

It did remind me of one interesting bit of recursive Sunset Blvd references in Lynch's work.

This scene in Sunset Blvd, where Norma is watching one of her old films, features an excerpt from one of Gloria Swanson's silent era films, Queen Kelly, which was unreleased at the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADl0wC_cAbk&t=60s

In Inland Empire, Lynch shows a brief section of the unfinished Polish film 47:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

esperterra posted:

It's worth noting Laura died in February 89. Do we have a specific month for the Jeffries scene in FWWM? I always assumed that was part of the 'sequel' aspect of the movie, but season 3 tells us dopple Coop disappeared from Twin Peaks without pretending to be Coop for very long.

So the FWWM scene would have been just before he left for TP, yeah? Either way Jeffries is clearly lost in time in some way, so he either thinks that Cooper was the bad one because he met him earlier (later), or he simply knew that Cooper would become a dopple or w/e.

Lynch has edited and written himself into a corner with this.

The scene in FWWM takes place in 1988. The extended version of the scene from TMP takes place in 1989. Part 15 seems to suggest that it took place in 1989, which throws the whole of FWWM and the series off by a year.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

remusclaw posted:

On the question of whether "The Missing Pieces" are in continuity or not, I am prone to believe that they are, if only for the fact that the name implies something more than "deleted scenes" would.

The Missing Pieces begins with onscreen text that says something to the effect of "What you are about to see are deleted and alternate scenes from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me."

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
There's a longstanding connection in paranormal circles between owls and aliens.

edit: to expound on this a little bit, we see BOB with an owl overlaid on his face. We also see BOB sort of "coming to earth" in Part 8 in response to the Trinity test. This is another longstanding theory in paranormal circles-- that earth attracted attention from "elsewhere" in the universe when we started setting off nuclear weapons. Twin Peaks is far less explicit about this stuff than the X-Files, but it's all in there.

chime_on fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 24, 2017

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
James, Freddie, Shelly, and Renee were all in the Roadhouse when the Chromatics played for the first time.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

wa27 posted:

Is there anyone from the announced cast list that hasn't shown up yet?

Julee Cruise.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

wa27 posted:

Oh... well I wonder what the last Roadhouse song will be then! :v:

I said it before in this thread, I think, but I'm hoping against hope it's a new one.

I guess the following actors have also yet to appear: Matt Battaglia, Francesca Eastwood, Heath Hensley, Rob Mars, and Mary Reber.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The special effects are one of the elements of the show that are pure Lynch absurdism. He's been working DIY with software for the past 15 years at least. The old davidlynch.com (RIP) had a ton of Flash animations, etc. that presaged what he's doing in Twin Peaks now. Not to mention stuff like the special effects in Inland Empire, the short he made for OneDreamRush, etc.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Wow, hadn't watched the aforementioned short from OneDreamRush in a minute.

Uh.

https://vimeo.com/23020369

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The very bottom row of your Showtime page on Amazon has links to live streams of all 9 Showtime channels. I always stream from there, rather than going to the "On Demand" episode (except for the premiere night for Parts 3 & 4). Quality of the stream seems more reliable than the On Demand, but YMMV.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Eyud posted:

They do. I started last week's episode the same minute it started on Showtime's live stream. And I would strongly recommend not watching the live stream, because of this:

I was talking about the stream at the bottom of Amazon's Showtime page, I stream from there every week and there's definitely no audio normalization. Showtime Anytime's site gave me grief when I watched Parts 3 and 4 on premiere night, so I've stuck to Amazon ever since.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Your Parents posted:

Many of them are songs Lynch wrote, or songs Lynch requested the artists write for the series, including Eddie Vedder's. The lyrics of every song are thematically relevant to the show. Listen.

This isn't really accurate. Lynch did co-write 1 of the songs almost 2 decades ago and it didn't have anything to do with Twin Peaks, obviously. Eddie Vedder and Trouble wrote their stuff for the show. But all the other songs are just songs that came out on albums that Lynch happened to like, and he put them in the show.

Now the lyrics being thematically relevant, yeah, I agree with that.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2H4olJjNjDU0FwsFbYvvk5?si=dfqfDlPR

Yo, the complete soundtrack album from this season is out now on Spotify (and all other services too I guess). I know what I’m gonna be listening to all weekend!

The Spotify version is missing a bunch of stuff from the physical releases, like the Lynch remix of "American Woman," the Eddie Vedder song, etc.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

More importantly, it's also missing James' song.

Thankfully I already had that from the Season Two soundtrack, so I just noticed the new stuff that wasn't there.

Maddeningly, the soundtrack is missing one of the Thought Gang tracks from the show. I also wish it had stuff like the chopped and screwed Moonlight Sonata, the backwards "Audrey's Dance," and that bonkers music from the conga line with Dougie and the Mitchum crew. What can you do, though?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
This may explain why Showtime Anytime sucked so badly compared to watching on Amazon:

https://gizmodo.com/showtimes-websites-may-have-used-your-cpu-to-mine-crypt-1818763497

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Slum Village posted:

It's interesting what parts of the lore were not or seldom mentioned. Blue Rose came to the forefront. Hell, even the latter season 2 Project Blue Book got a mention!

Project Blue Book was a real thing, though, not necessarily just Twin Peaks lore.