Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Diana is confronting the villain, who explains his plan, but she's confused why she would do something like that.

"Why do you wonder, woman?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Conveying the grimness of the conflict is, in fact, a measure of quality for art and fiction of the First World War.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who's seen the movie: how much bondage is there?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She only uses the lasso twice.

And only one of those instances is even remotely horny.

Skipping it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

Why did people hate MoS?

Because it's disruptive instead of comforting, mostly. People basically want paternal reassurement from Superman, so things like the destruction of Metropolis and killing Zod are terrible blasphemies.

It's basically the first leftist superhero movie, which freaks out people to no end.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Someday someone will explain what 'looking like a video game' means, and why it's bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

Did Man of Steel ruin your life or something?

It's a case of MoS being the first basically leftist superhero blockbuster, and the first with a real ethical dimension to it. The fact that it has moral values is absolutely obscene to people who prefer more trivial pop.

Dropping the bobdage angle is a bit silly, but trivializing war sounds absolutely horrid.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

It was better than MoS and BvS, so maybe Jenkins should save the DC?

Hardly. Jenkins is following in Snyder's footsteps, but never reaches the level of 300. The action is often uninteresting and awkward, and it's rather understandable because because Jenkins is not an action director.The thematics and politics are just weak. For example, there's little recognition of irony in sending warrior-princess powered by divine heritage into the conflict that destroyed aristocracy as a political force. And the third-hand Greek mythology (first loosely adapted for a comic book and then onto the big screen) is just a lame bastardisation. With 300 you can admire how it one-ups historical myth.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 11, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

Jenkins didn't direct the action in this movie. Don't you know how major blockbusters are made? This film had the same 2nd unit director and stunt coordinator as Mos, BvS, and Justice League.

So you're saying it just has worse action, and Jenkins was a non-factor in it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
God forbid that someone would blame the director for poor action scenes in a movie they directed.

Wandle Cax posted:

But no, a director known for small scale drama films was not chosen for her expertise in fight choreography and action scenes for this $200 whatever million film!

That seems like a miscalculation, to be honest.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

Whoa buddy calm down there. Of course she was directing such pivotal scenes involving key character moments and things like that, she is the director of the film. All I am saying which I did not think would cause such a meltdown is that director is not solely responsible for staging and filming all action scenes in a film like this which apparently is not common knowledge, and that a statement like i guess the action in this movie sucks because Jenkins is not proficient at directing action is a bit simplistic.

well why not posted:

Directors direct everyone, including the second unit directors. They're still responsible for everything filmed, ultimately.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's passable, but way below the high standard set by Snyder. It doesn't have the same force and impact, which is rather ironic for a movie about one of the most destructive conflicts in human history. Even the set-pieces are really unambitious.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

What I'm not seeing here is reference to any specific mistake or deficiency.

Well now, they're supposed to be more "superhuman" than Jackie Chan fight scenes. If Jackie Chan is more superhuman, then there is something wrong.

I don't understand it either.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Apollo posted:

You also see her outfit in the streets on London. She starts to take over her hooded overcoat and Steve saying something like "What are you doing?! You're not wearing anything!" and wraps her back up and takes her to the dress shop where they meet Etta.
The ~*~official novelization~*~ has a slightly different take on it. They make it seem like there's some sort of link between the two as he's flying away and she's able to understand what he was saying because of what he's feeling.

That prose sucks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe you shouldn't have used Nolan movies as a reference point for good movies. Like WW, they're incredibly overrated pop art.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mary had a little clam posted:

"Overrated" = "Ugh, these plebes keep liking this thing I don't like." Quick, you also have to describe it as "irrelevant".

WW obviously meant something to a lot of people. It felt fresh to me, toyed with some different ideas. I liked the smaller scale (even though it had Greek gods, it was about a chemical weapon in a human war). Maybe it's not a master feminist subversion of the entire genre, but it was different enough to make a difference. Even if you think WW is overrated, it certainly feels much different than the JL trailer. From the trailer (I could be wrong), JL looks like the same samey joyless slog we've been getting since Avengers became the go-to template you're legally required to follow unless you're Deadpool. Apparently JL is going to be about an ensemble of wise-cracking heroes trying to stop a cosmic evil from sending shock troops to Earth to steal the All-Powerful infinityer, Mother Boxes. So fresh!

So are you saying Justice League looks like better pop art than Wonder Woman or did you just see the Someone Complimented Nolan Signal in the sky and deployed to set the record straight for all us imbeciles who thought Dark Knight was pretty good?

I have seen maybe a single teaser for Justice League, so you're jumping the gun a bit.

You're going on about what WW "obviously meant" and what it "felt" like, which seems like waffling, to be honest.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 18, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Why are you such a miserable gently caress about everything

June 10th, 2017 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the creative practices of a single movie studio, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when there was no bondage in Wonder Woman tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. It tore away my ability to respect anything, and it tore away my ability to feel human.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean, cool joke and all, but it still doesn't explain why you complain and act miserable in like 99.99% of threads you participate in.

What did you think about Wonder Woman, the movie? I thought it was disappointing, since it follows in the footsteps of Snyder's comic movies, but lacks their wonderful visual power and tactility, and their always surprisingly convincing gravitas. I really have no idea what the movie set out to do thematically.

Comstar posted:

I've no confidence in the Justice League movie though. I was surprised to see Zack Synder wrote this one, but I fear his finger prints will be still too much muddying the picture still.

Zack Snyder almost tainted the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Very Grand Manner.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dont even fink about it posted:

It is the narrative of "DCU is showing renewed promise!" against the narrative of "DC's MCU ripoffs are pathetic!", neither of which are really true.

Yeah, both ignore that DCU produced the best (and probably the first truly great) superhero movie and its good sequel.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Should I comment on the the problems in the script? On the unimpressive action?

No, the mustache is the real problem.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

I'm a huge Cameron fanboy, but his comment about Wonder Woman being a step backward was dumb. This tweet sums up why really well.
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/900951552696893440

There's something deeply hilarious about this backpatting. Backpattying.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 25, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

This film showed Hollywood that women can and should direct big budget action films.

So the movie amounts to a message to corporations to be more "nice".

The fascinating thing is that no one is appealing to anything the movie actually says, just its marketing value and how Iconic Wonder Woman is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The movie is not actually wholesome. It's a rather transgressive affair about World War I being influenced by Greek deities, where the hero talks about love conquering all while about to kill a god. The movie is somewhat banal for such a fantastical premise because of it's direction, so you might have just mistaken that banality for wholesomeness.

So not appealing to what the movie says.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In other words, it's about integrating people into the liberal-capitalist order.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

It's pretty damning that your wrote six paragraphs about why Wonder Woman was a step forward and never once talked about the contents of the film.

What's worse is that by his description, Wonder Woman's character boils down to the fact that she is a woman, as opposed to a man, and that she associates with women.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

All kids, especially little girls, can relate to Diana's relationship with her aunt and mother, and the sisterly-bond that all Amazons share. They all can aspire to be like Diana with her inherent kindness in the film, of how accepting she is of every individual, no matter who they are, seeing them as equal citizens of the world. One would hope a little girl or boy would actually have someone like that in their life, be it their father, mother, brother, or whoever, that they can look up to.

To bolster this:
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/874034832430424065
The Elektra and Catwoman movies likely didn't resonate with kids as well as Wonder Woman's character did. Maybe. I don't believe they did, unless you can convince me otherwise.

Even assuming this isn't shitthatdidn'thappen.txt, none of it is progressive.

You're basically advocating for the character of Wonder Woman to serve as a cheap replacement for Jesus Christ. Teaching about Jesus would be way more beneficial for children.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Again, you're actually not referencing any statement or moral in the movies themselves, just marketing and the most basic plot summaries imaginable ("this movie is about a woman"). Wonder Woman's movie sold well, and this proves that she is a strong and powerful icon (this is basically idolatry). Rey from Star Wars is a similar case: what people mean by calling her a strong female character is that she's literally strong and skilled, and can thus force her way through situations.

The inexplicable loyalty Laureline has for the unworthy doofus lead of Valerian is stronger characterization than either of those. Anna from Frantz is a much stronger female lead in a movie about WW1.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 27, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

WW is basically a goddess.

She's actually a superhero with Greek mythological trappings who first appeared in 1941. It's a tendency of fandom however to de facto turn these characters into gods and their stories into scripture, because fandom is a project to replace religion with pop culture. This is what teagone and BrianWilly are arguing for: Wonder Woman as a replacement for Jesus.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Magmar posted:

I take issue with the idea that having a replacement for Jesus is a bad thing, because the purpose of the bible as an actual work is to teach people how to live a happy and wholesome life with other people. So long as you can teach people these messages it really doesn't matter the shape it takes form in, and using things children are interested in allows the message to resonate more fully with the audience who benefit most from these messages.

Especially given Religion largely could be considered pop culture of our own ancient past,

Pop culture is modern mass entertainment. Religion is an attempt to determine how one should live a good life.

So no, it can't.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Though a replacement for Jesus Christ might be necessary given how most established religion is, despite the flavour text of love and caring, a hollowed-out shell for patriarchal sexism, bigotry, greed and xenophobia as far as many people under 30 are concerned.

...and you're looking towards Hollywood for an alternative?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Heh, stupid Xtian bigots worshipping a non-existent wizard, if only they knew where the truth really lies"

*reads X-Men comic*

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

I believe the whole demigod thing comes from the fact that Hippolyta is a (magical, ageless) mortal. Children of gods and mortals are usually considered demigods (and sometimes not even that) until they attain some kind of further apotheosis (which Diana arguably does, by the end of this film).
Media both reflects and affects culture. A progressive state of cinema can indicate progressive social trends and mindsets (and a regressive one, vice versa), and can likewise influence the direction of said social trends and mindsets.

BrianWilly posted:

Not quite, because there are different social stigmas and expectations facing men and women. One could argue that men in general could stand to exhibit a little less unwarranted machismo -- see, even the word itself is male-oriented -- while women in general could stand to exhibit a bit more.

In other words, we are not equal until we are all afforded the same opportunities to be equally mediocre.

The basic conclusion you present is that progress is that anybody could be in the position of an affluent straight white man. We may have equality if everyone can make big blockbuster movies in Hollywood. Once everybody is an affluent straight white man, no one is.

Notice that you're still avoiding talking about any values or ideals that make Wonder Woman the movie progressive.

e:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Religion was mostly a method by which a singular person or group of people could control their society so that everyone else would have to listen to them and do what they want. At least modern pop culture doesn't hoard knowledge or the ability to understand it, unlike most ancient religions and especially Christianity where only the Church and those it deemed worthy were taught to read and write in the language of it's holy book.

And modern mass entertainment can still have a message or lesson, to ignore this possibility leaves you incapable of receiving anything from said entertainment besides hedonistic enjoyment, and you don't even appear to get that.

Wow, these smug liberal pop history interpretations of religion really take me back.

In reality, most people weren't even taught to read or write because the economic structure of the medieval world made it an expensive luxury, and which was unnecesary for a population that mostly consisted of manual labourers who lived and interacted in an overwhelmingly oral culture. You don't even seem to realize that even if everyone could read the Bible, the book itself would have been an unimaginable luxury item for most people before the invention of the printing press. Everyone who was considered educated would have learned Latin, and "the Church" did little to stop people from being educated because it was already a rather exclusive privilege.

What you're actually referring is to the Catholic Church's enforcement of its monopoly on ministry and preaching, and its historical efforts to control/stop unauthorized translations of the bible into vernacular languages. These were de facto questions of power, but which you're barely cognizant of because of your shallow understanding of Medieval/Renaissance history.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 28, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The complaints are about what a shallow role model WW is, or at least how shallow and evasive the discussion about her is. Is she actually that great a leap from Hunger Games protagonist? Should we even have a female counterpart to Tony Stark, one of the worst used characters in the history of popular culture?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So you're promoting a Ivan Karamazov - esque stance that popular role models bad and corrupt, but we must deceive children into believing ideals that we don't.

Jesus that's cynical. You're the one actually denigrating role models.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Karloff posted:

Maybe you should be silent and listen to women when they argue for what they do and don't appreciate in popular cinema. Instead of trying to intellectually justify why "actually, there's been plenty of films with women in, so maybe that's enough".

The discussion isn't whether or not women like Wonder Woman. It's about whether or not Wonder Woman is a "step forward," especially when it's so difficult to define what makes her a progressive figure. Just see how little people refer to the actual movie when talking about what a "step forward" it is and instead quote tweets about children playing or talk about marketing and employment.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 29, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I don't want to belabour the point, but you're still not referencing anything in the movie.

Yaws posted:

Little girls showing appreciation for a female superhero on the Big Screen is a step forward.

Sorry, I know being a bitter cynical misanthrope is sorta your thing and an idea like that probably throws you into a tissy but it's noteworthy.

Yaws posted:

Oh god a loving tweet containing some anecdotes about the positive effects of Wonder Woman?!?! This travesty can't go unchallenged! It didn't happen! It doesn't matter! Those little girls don't know what they're talking about! I, the fat virginal nerd will show them the light!

lol

We have already established for a while that the movie is popular. Children indeed like it. But the thing that people are struggling to explain is how this makes Wonder Woman progressive. Notice that you're doing exactly the thing I criticized: not actually referencing the movie itself to justify it being "a step forward," only it's popular success. This gives the impression that the movie itself secondary and insignificant compared to the protagonist's 'iconic' value.

The odd thing is that it's very easy to reference the movie. For example, the movie's villain is anti-humanist, and Wonder Woman opposes him because she's a humanist. This is a basic progressive stance.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 29, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

A standard wherein a story about a woman or a minority can't just be a story about a woman or a minority to be something extraordinary but also has to pass all those other gratuitous hoops and tests.

Where Wonder Woman the film is progressive is that it says a story about a woman can be exactly this -- nothing more and nothing less -- and that's exactly what it should be because female stories have in fact been denied permission to be exactly this up until now.

You're basically arguing that the actual content of the movie is insignificant. It could be sexist and politically regressive for all we know, but at least it's an action blockbuster starring a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well we've gone to from "Wonder Woman is a step forward" to "It doesn't matter if it's good or bad".

• Locked thread