Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Best one I know was up by Fort Smith, NWT; BALLS.

What was even more fun was Canadian Regional and Canadian North used to fly F28s in there all the time, which led to smartasses making radio calls along the lines of "I've got the little Fokker by the BALLS"

Sagebrush posted:

I still don't know if it's mee-tar or meh-tar or may-tar

It's pronounced "Aviation Routine Weather Report" :v:

e.pilot posted:

There’s a really good one I saw somewhere over Kansas or Nebraska but I can’t for the life of me remember it.

SPICY BARBQ RIBBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well this thread has definitely taken a turn. :catstare:

A skidding steep turn onto final...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

That's got to be a real relief, for sure. The company I work at has all but shut down, my last day of work was the 16th of March, and we just got layoff notice today officially. I'm gonna be fine in the short term, I did what all the old salts tell you and had an emergency cash fund of a year's worth of expenses, plus I am eligible for CERB as well, so that's gonna help.

In the meantime, I'm just going to try to stay positive, get some exercise, cook some new things and drill myself on French, since I figure that being at least conversant would be an asset if/when Little and/or Big Maple Leaf and The Other Guys start hiring again. Between the end of this pandemic and then, well...I will worry about that when the time comes.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

Do you already live in Canada?

Have done all my life, my dude.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Once this first wave has passed, I think that domestic travel is going to start to come back fairly quickly, but it's going to take time to return to near-normal; the most pressing issue, after a few months of lockdown, is that you have a huge percentage of the pilot community who are now out of currency and recency - that's going to take a long time to work out of the system, probably a year or so.

International travel is gonna be hosed for a long time after that though, I'm gonna figure at least three or four years, but it too will come back in time.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

This is getting deep into obscure airplane nonsense, but a lot of pre-jet/early jet age instrument panels were all made with the same black material, like this guy:

I can't imagine that's plastic on account of wartime rationing, so is it painted aluminium? Or plywood with a lacquer over top?

It's usually just painted or anodized aluminum sheet, there's nothing much to read into it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Hit me with that symphony in brown.

It's the ideal colour really, you can spill your coffee and nobody will know the better!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Animal posted:

don’t worry soon enough we’ll pick those 777’s from the desert, convert them, and put them to good use flying rubber dog poo poo and dildos out of China for DHL and Amazon.

As an aside but has anyone even done a 777 P2F conversion yet? I can't seem to recall any. But I'm guessing there's gonna be both a huge market and ready supply of aircraft soon.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

Oh in that case yeah just memorize what they want you to say.

This is a good one from my ATP written:

The question was, and I quote: “how many lines do you see?” Not how many are there but how many you, the test taker, see.

The correct answer was 4.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Desi posted:

If only it was that easy. I'd be down in the states in a MINUTE if I could as a Canadian. Problem is that 'Pilot' does not fall on the list of NAFTA Visa Jobs (TN Visa) where you don't need sponsorship so we'd have to go H1B. And to go down that path an airline would have to sponsor one of us and as part of that process prove there are no Americans qualified to do that job available. Up until now that's been a non-starter. If they ever added us to that TN list pretty much every Canadian pilot would be down there in a minute - you guys pay about 20-40% more across the board (including Majors, AC pay is a joke compared to UAL/DL/AA/etc). I believe all it would take is an executive order by Biden so it's not outside the realm of possibility as I'm sure soon enough the lobbyists will start asking for it.

Yep, same.

I have a feeling that the reason we can't do this is because our domestic industry has lobbied long and hard to keep it that way.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

any landing that the overheads don't blow open is a good one imo

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

NetJets: the Official Company of "Hey do you mind if we put on Fox News?"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

School of How posted:

Here is the plan so far for me to get back into aviation: First I will approach my local flight school and purchase a 10 hour block of time in a C172. I will start with flying with an instructor to get back in currency. Aftwer that I think I might start on my MEI, which I have been wanting to do for years. That has to be done by this upcoming October when my next CFI renewal is due. After that it seems I'll have to time build in order to get enough time to get a jet type rating. So now I'm thinking maybe I pay for a C208 "type rating", and then approach C208 operators to let me work for them to get my hours built up to a point where I can get a jet type.

The reason why I'm leaning towards C208 is because they are ubiquitous, and I think my hours I have now make me eligible for the training programs.

As to the issue of "pilot shortage". I am definitely skeptical. I am willing to believe there is an actual shortage, but at this time I'm not convinced. They say the same thing about the software industry "There is a shortage of programmers, companies are DESPERATE to hire programmers. If you're even a half way decent programmer, you're going to be FLOODED with job offers" In my experience, it just isn't true. Its very possible I'll pay to get current with C208 training completed, and I'll still get ghosted by every single 208 operator worldwide. Whats the most compelling evidence that a pilot shortage is actually happening?

don't pay for a loving type rating jesus loving christ

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

School of How posted:

I think it should. Not everyone who enrolls in training makes it through. The company loses if you flunk out of training. If I've already passed, then that risk goes away. If I leave the company after just a few weeks, the company is not out anything because they were never "in" on anything in the first place.

Around where I love, if you walk into a job interview with a self-paid type rating, you've got a 50/50 chance that they'll just tell you to gently caress off forever and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Something to think about...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Animal posted:

I like Durham :colbert:

What about Raleigh tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

First glider solo was 28 July 1999 for me, first powered solo was 11 July 2000. I had to look up my first powered solo because honestly it didn't feel anywhere near as memorable as my first glider solo was.