Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I sometimes sit back and wonder "am I being unfair? Perhaps my side has gone too far and the other side has a point."

Then I see poo poo like this and I'm reminded why I could never, ever vote Republican unless the entire party was reformed from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At this point it isn't. However you're right; that's a major, major component of it for a hell of a lot of Christians in general. That isn't just Catholics. A hell of a lot of it is various religious leaders making bullshit claims about liberals. When the gay marriage thing was still being settled (and the right just won't loving stop on that one) in a big way a very common claim was "the government will force your church to marry gays so you must oppose gay marriage with every fiber of your being."

And it's like...no. That's not how it works. That wasn't the point of legalizing it at all. You couldn't explain that to people and a common response was "well we believe it's wrong so we work to prevent people from doing it. That's what we believe." Sorry buddy but not everybody believes that and some religions are totally fine with it. Sometimes it'd end with "well we'll just have to agree to disagree." No. loving no. Your religion believing that the gays are icky and bad does not give you the right to take away their rights. Your religion and your church can refuse to marry gay people. That's fine! Nobody is forcing you to but you can't force your religions rules on everybody else's.

I had to start invoking my religion (I generally avoid that) and point out how they were overstepping their bounds into mine. That's when the real bullshit starts. "Well America is a Christian nation because most Americans are Christian. So there. Majority rules." Well, no. America is a free nation that just happens to be mostly Christian and not even all Christians believe those things. That also forgets the "minority rights" part, which they loving constantly bring up whenever the majority votes for something they don't agree with.

A great deal of it is just plain authoritarianism wrapped up in Jesus. Plus it's that strategy of "fight on literally all of the fronts forever all the time." They know they'll never, ever win on abortion or LGBT rights but they can keep otherwise decent people voting R because "SAVE THE BABIES!!!!!" or "GAY AGENDA!!!!!!!!"

I've talked to non-American Christians, including some who consider themselves fairly Conservative. They think we're all nuts. It's less about Jesus and more about America. We worship the US but pretend to worship Christ.

I know some people have a hate-on for religion and there's no denying that Christian churches around the globe have problems. But in this instance, I think this is distinctly an American problem. I still remember my family's Catholic church telling me to pray for America during Iraq War, and I've heard of American flags being displayed in churches.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xombie posted:

That's the confusing thing for me. I get how people become fascists. I just don't get how they become fascist and think that it's some type of libertarianism.

I am equally bewildered by all this. My time in the Libertarian thread and reading some writings from a delightful fellow named Hans Herman Hoppe only made it all the more puzzling.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/09/hans-hermann-hoppe/smack-down/

He also wrote a book extolling the greatness of monarchy and how it actually let us be more free than we are now.

I can only conclude these people are insane. That's the only answer I have. I understand the appeal of Libertarianism. I understand the appeal of Authoritarianism. I cannot understand how anyone can support both.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isn't this all a bit of alarmism? Obviously I wasn't alive but I've seen movies, documentaries and read books about the Civil Rights/Vietnam era. if the country didn't rip itself apart over that and MLK being shot and the government literally lying to us every other sentence and spying on "dissidents", do we have to worry about Now being the worst time ever?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

1960s America was 90% white.

2017 America might be as low as 62% or as high asv77% depending on how many hispanics are perceived as white. The stakes are much higher now.

That is a fact I hadn't considered. I've seen some speculation about reactions to the inevitable death of "White America." I guess one of those reactions could indeed be armed insurrection.

Although, even if we concede we are sitting on a powder keg, I can't believe anything short of an extremely catastrophic event could trigger some sort of civil war or mass armed resistance. (and I'm referring to Left and Right here. Whoever picks up their guns first depends entirely on what the "spark" is.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Nope, May is quite a bit further right than Clinton. Authoritarian, pro-spending cuts, anti-immigration, she'd be a Republican (albeit one of the ones closest to the centre).

But, like, weren't Conservatives all for immigration just a short while ago? More money and stuff.

Or were UK Conservatives always against it?

Would "Blairite Labour" be more comparable to Clinton and Establishment Dems?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Haha, no, the Conservatives have always been anti-immigration, it's just become more overt since they're fighting for UKIP (even further right) votes. Blair and Clinton are a decent comparison, though his star has fallen significantly since he left office.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant to contrast US Conservatives with UK Conservatives with regards to immigration. US Conservatives were all for it because of stuff like outsourcing and cheap labor. It favored Big Business and that was all they cared about. Neocons, anyway. I recall reading old time "Paleocons" here hated immigrants.

I guess UK Conservatives are more consistent on being against immigrants.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

My serious answer is that 8 years of Barack HUSSEIN Obama followed by Trump's election unleashed a lot of bad poo poo and legitimized and reinvigorated white supremacy bigly. We are remembering these things to remind ourselves about what happens when White Supremacists get really angry and we have to deal with their bullshit.

Wait, what do you mean here? Why would a White Supremacist get mad about what happened to the Branch Davidians? They were a kooky Christian cult but I don't think race had anything to do with it. I've seen a black survivor of the group on an interview show.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I appreciate all the responses and I do have Netflix again so I'll look into the documentary. Thanks everyone.

JosefStalinator posted:

Everyone already kinda dog-piled on your question but yeah, there's a strong anti-government common thread between kooky christian cults and white supremacists. McVeigh and other terrorists explicitly invoke both Christianity and White Supremacy when they kill people.

EDIT: Also, look up "The Turner Diaries"

I've heard of The Turner Diaries and their contents. I have done a bit of research on white supremacy, mainly consisting of Wikipedia and YouTube, though. This guy made some nice videos that I show people who need to know what the Alt-Right is all about.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQHoO6ByppH6Ldr0pdytFA/videos

Julio Cruz posted:

Pretty consistent, yeah. This is from 1964:

Conservatism = Racism all over the world it seems.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

Hitler said the only thing that could've stopped the rise of fascism was violence.

Democrats are liberals, though, not lefties. They'll continue to demur about possibly contributing to the negative political climate all while they're literally marched into gas chambers.

That Hitler quote has been brought up a few times. I think ol' Adolf overhyped himself just a tad. The Interwar period was crazy town and there was nothing inevitable about the Nazis coming to power.

Plus there kinda were a lot of actual Leftists brawling wtih the Rightists. I thought the Nazis got into power because the Conservatives thought they could control him and rein him in.

Although I remember someone posting that German article about how they can temper the Nazis. It did sound eerily similar to some things people said when Trump was elected.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

i'm not any of those things?????

e: well, except maybe a supporter of nuclear energy

e2: i would also not really consider the lack of ideological diversity in this forum to be a good thing, tbqh

Do the million debates about Social Justice vs. Economic Justice around the time Trump won not count as differences?

I mean, "the Left" has plenty of diversity. I'm sure everyone from tankies to anarchists are represented on here.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

No, it's civil war when this empty bluster means they're going to die next time someone is able to take a shot at them.

Just because they're stupid enough to believe the public will remain compliant and civil doesn't mean it's a war yet

Yeah not to dismiss what happened to Jacobs but before the actual civil war we had, there was a much more violent and infamous incident involving a cane. It was murderous assault taking place in the US Senate itself.

It sets a pretty high precedent I think. Until something like that happens, I'm not too worried about what I'll do here in Texas if civil war breaks out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stuff like this gives me hope. I don't agree with Republican ideals but once upon a time I could at least understand why others held those beliefs. They had the strength of their convictions. I thought I saw some of that with the various Republicans who called out Trump during the campaign but we all know how that went. Everyone who could conceivably be called a good Republican is out of the game.

Maybe, and this is a hope I've voiced before no matter how vain it is, the whole GOP will implode sometime in the near future and something more respectable will emerge.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have more sympathy for the CSA than many here I expect but the Lost Cause is a lot cause now. I remember back when the Confederate Flag was taken down in South Carolina a couple years ago...and nobody cared. I mean, relatively nobody. I love the South, warts and all, and the idea they are all a bunch of Confederate apologists is just not true. Undoubtedly a small minority are but the olden days are quickly slipping away. The old guard and die-hards are still in positions of power so poo poo like this happens but the average Southerner growing up? I don't think they much care. The Confederacy was for their grandfathers and now even their great grandfathers.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I would forecast that in 20 or so years when we have new generation of politicians in charge, the last remnant of this stuff will dry up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It was a tragedy that killed tons of people. And not the plantation owners but the poor whites who the plantation owners sent off to fight and die for them.

The South needed to reform and there was probably no other way to do it than some kind of war but that doesn't mean I can't feel sory for the poor people on both sides who died.

Well...gently caress. She even invoked the "do what you think is right, not what is politically correct" as if all the people who hate the flag are just being PC and actually love the Confederacy.

I guess my hopes are dashed, again.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 26, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

And Joe Scarborough can go to hell right alongside them. Never forget: this man and his literal TV Wife are a huge reason the world has to endure Trump now because they lead the charge in normalizing him, and normalizing the godawful behaviour from Republicans he is now aghast at for some reason.

gently caress Joe Scarborough into centre of the goddamn Sun.

Didn't everyone in the media help to "create" Trump? I wasn't paying attention to politics during the early days of the Trump campaign but from what I've pieced together, he was a sort of joke that everyone gave lots of airtime to for ratings or whatnot. I know some people like Michael Moore noted that the mass media helped normalize Trump before they, too late, turned on him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Is there any way to check if he's fatter than Taft yet? It'll be interesting to have one president who embodies every single negative trait possible - more corrupt than Nixon, more incompetent than Bush, more racist than Jackson, more contempt for the poor than Hoover, more of a skirt-chaser than JFK and LBJ, and more out of shape than Taft.

There's gotta be a president who was the most...uh, warmongering? Genocidal? Who would that be?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

America is a nation of infinite forgiveness and incurably short memory, where the Overton Window only moves in one direction: rightward.

It's only a matter of time before the most left leaning of liberals utters the words "you know, Donald Trump wasn't actually that bad" in comparison to a future President Richard B. Spencer.

Don't forget it's entirely our fault for being so mean to Trump and this is what let Spencer win.

I really wish I still had my Al Franken book from 2006 that goes over how the Bush Administration's incompetence led to 9/11 happening, as well as how the entire Republican Party ran a smear campaign on Kerry, saying he somehow lied or faked it and didn't deserve his medals. But now, Dubya is written off as a sort of benign bungler surrounded by evil madmen.

But because people were so mean to him at the time, it somehow desensitized the public and they just couldn't grasp the horror of Trump.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 30, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chard posted:

Did anyone catch that interview this morning? Was it worth tracking down at all, or just Putin dangling his nuts in America's face for a while? If the latter is it funny at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nVGgoOT6s

I like no one in this argument so I can't even find it funny. You might, I can't say.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rotacixe posted:

In honor of the late Zbigniew Brzezinski. Let us watch him school Joe in front of Mika, his daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mk18af8z9Y

Randomly, I was talking about Chernobyl on another forum and the topic of "how bad was it really?" came up. I headed to Google and found this.
Observations on Chernobyl after 25 Years of Radiophobia

Then I found out the author of this just died.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kekekela posted:

I never knew about this "Irish haven't always been considered white" thing until this thread, and still can't get my head around it. They're pasty white as gently caress, how would you even know they were Irish if they didn't talk?

Germans, too. And Slavs. So much anti-German racism motivated WW1. And apparently white supremacists to this day argue about if some Eastern Europeans count as "white."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Former Michigander here. Wish this guy was the one who got shot.

Okay...maybe not. I dunno. But Flint was treated as this giant tragedy all my life and then the water problems just made a terrible situation even worse. It's really hosed up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

I'm surprised nothing more has been released or leaked about the shooter yet

E: Do we know anything more than chubby white dude in running clothes or maybe jeans?

I'm sure a lot of right wingers have hot takes on why this is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/Harlan/status/874975233421303808

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Abisteen posted:

Oh my god if Kelly actually said that about Sandy Hook and this starts to get covered then NBC might actually get pressured to get rid of her. I don't think mainstream sources are going to take well to their public employees giving time of day to sandy hook false flag stuff.

Dunno if anyone else linked this but the families are suing NBC.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-jones-kelly-sandy-hook-20170615-story.html

Good for them. Jones is only as bad as the people who give him a platform.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

And I don't know how to be more clear in what I am saying:

A Vice-President who has engaged in espionage against the United States will not be allowed to become President.

Do you agree or disagree?

My apologies, there's too much poo poo going on, what did Pence do?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Full Circle posted:

Dodging an immoral war is a moral act.

I've seen the distinction made between draft dodgers who are just selfish pricks, and people with actual moral objections to the war. There were certainly people of both types back then.

But I only ever see draft dodger used as a derogatory term for the first group. I guess there's also chicken hawks?

FizFashizzle posted:

lied about flynn being a spy.

knew about it and sat on the information for 2 weeks.

also just generally being involved in the trump campaign

It really does never end. How can this poo poo show go on for 3-and-a-half more years?

Thank you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

My next question then would be - If republicans have demonstrated the family values are not as important as beating the democrats, and all the blither about state's rights is actually just inconsequential, what the hell is the endgame? What is the actual core of principles that the republican party stands for?

(This poster has been chokeslammed for painting republicans in a poor light.)

Kellyanne Conway’s Plan for ‘Demographic War’

Someone posted this a couple days ago and it says all that needs to be said. The Republicans are facing an existential crisis as they have built their entire current party upon white guys and some white women. But White America is taking its last breath. There will soon be more Latinos/Hispanics/other things that aren't actually a race or proper group but we have to call them something that means "non-white" As I recall, the 2012 Autopsy said they had to appeal more to minorities. Trump spit in the face of that and triple-downed on racist rhetoric. It got them some temporary ground but it's still a battle they cannot win.

Seized with fear of irrelevance, their only "endgame" is to try and cling to power with everything they have and if that means taking everyone else down with them, so be it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Violator posted:

What the hell are you talking about? L&O cancelled?!

Edit: O.G. L&O was cancelled in 2010? What the gently caress? I never watched any of the SVU or spinoff horse poo poo so I didn't know those were the only versions still on the air.

SVU is a lovely melodrama more than anything else. Sadly, it's still quite popular.

I loved watching classic Law & Order, though. I also enjoyed Criminal Intent because Vincent D'Onofrio is pretty awesome. But nothing beats the original at its peak.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

So I looked up what the gently caress he was talking about

https://twitter.com/SarahZuks/status/877908699171364864
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.a41bdb5e56e5

My personal opinion is that doing that in a hallway is a bad idea, like if there was a fire or a bomb threat or something. There's no way they got a permit for that, I can't imagine they let people do indoor protests.

...that video on the WP article..... I want to do my part but people are talking about contacting your senators and stuff. I live in Texas. My senator is Ted Cruz and some other guy. I actually don't know Cruz's healthcare policies but based on everything else I do know about him, a call feels like a waste of breath.

So I dunno what else to do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

It's Cruz and Cornyn, my wife and I call as often as we have the time to and you should too. Also encourage your friends/family to call, because Cruz is already weaseling out of voting for it sort of, so 'this is a bad bill' chat with the aide that picks up his phone can play to that. Cornyn is kind of a lost cause, but that's ok, constant calls and extreme disappointment could potentially at least make him nervous about the vote. Just sound informed and talk about the low approval rates of the AHCA.

Fair enough then. Thanks everyone for the insight. I and most of my friends, including one who just had a baby, get Medicaid. I'll get on them to start blowing up Cruz's phone, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Whoever coined the phrase "conservative is the new counter-culture" is going to be the first against the wall.

I first heard it from Paul Joseph Watson but dunno if he was the first to say it.

Say what you want about Hippies and the extremes some of them went to, but I'd still take them over these monsters. They are fighting to prop up a dying and evil system while framing it as a glorious struggle of the "oppressed." These shitlords haven't been oppressed a day in their miserable lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Office Pig posted:

Anyone getting real worried about Trump's meeting with Putin after having all this come out?

I was wondering if there was some other stuff I missed given the constant flood of insanity.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/29/trump-putin-raises-worries-240124

(probably already posted and if so, apologies)

Looks like Trump is going into the meeting with absolutely no clue what he's doing. (shocking) But luckily Henry Kissinger met up with Putin the other day to discuss optimal ways to commit crimes or something.

• Locked thread