Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
I heard this was the thread for being bloodthirsty and really sanctimonious and defensive about it, can someone confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

Bottom line is, it's really hard for a society in the 1st world to experience something as bad as what you can experience in the 3rd world. Even when you factor in tragic disasters like this one. Not much of a consolidation for Texans drowning right now I assume, but if you're not directly affected, that's still the facts.

I'm glad you're willing to concede that life in Mombasa may not, in fact, be a fate worse than death. Otherwise this would be morally horrific faux-progressivism.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

mynnna posted:

It's starting to sound like that Arkema chemical plant - the one that's ready to explode "soon" - maybe hasn't done as much as they could have, going by what I heard on Maddow tonight. Seems (obviously, in hindsight) that there are compounds that will neutralize the peroxides and other nasty poo poo and thus mitigate the danger of explosion if they go outside a safe temperature range. The fact that their CEO is conceding explosion is pretty likely to happen suggests that "for some reason", they didn't do that.

...considering the unregulated corporate love-fest that Texas is, I'm going to go ahead and guess that that's because Texas law/regulations don't require them to.

Most chemical plants are run on just-in-time delivery so they may not have enough stuff in inventory at any given time to deactivate compounds. Which is kind of a general chemical plant thing, since they're not run with the expectation that the safety systems will all fail simultaneously and force the majority of people out of the plant.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

So it's come to threatening other users with hell dump now. What the actual honest to god gently caress thread in all honesty now? I think I'm probably out of this poo poo straight up. I don't need this to descend to that level of personal beef thank you very much. If you have you to straight up threaten other users like that then fine I'll "take the L" and be done with it because it's not worth that much to me in the long run to me if people want to escalate it to that level. Just remember I'm not the one that threatened other users with helldump to try to score a win DJT style.

"Hello, FBI? Someone just threatened to republish things I said publicly and add in... *lowers voice* Annalise Keating gifs. I don't even know what that means!"

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

but see you keep going which really just continues to tell me your here for a fight and little else. Also please explain to me where I told you to stop threatening me so much as to point out the obvious that that is precisely what your doing and show me exactly where I did the same?

Have you considered that rooting out bad posting is the highest of forums virtues?

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

Really cause I thought it was just attacking people for 3 pages over a quote highlighting a crucial point MLK made. For a timeline of events this is the post and reply that started all of this:

and it just kind of snowballed from there into people now threatening hell dump on other users that actually agree with them on the front of racism and nazis in 2017=bad.

Do you know what "helldumping" is because you're making it sound like someone's gonna put the thumbscrews to you.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

And your problem is being dogshit at interpreting what others are saying in the worst possible light and not just accepting that what the person actually implied was the total opposite of what your saying when they've said it what...5 times now? Like seriously have you ever just considered that maybe that's it, maybe you just blew it on the interpretation completely and utterly?

So why is this so important to you?

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

Why is it important to me that people actually understand where I stand on something instead of allowing a misrepresentation to fester for another day where people can try to attack me on it again when they feel like getting down and personal and attacking other users? Why wouldn't it be? Maybe other posters don't care if others completely misrepresent theirs and other words constantly but I do. They even tried to do it again with the "you people" thing which was obviously meant to refer to posters that attacking other posters by trying to re-characterize it as some sort of race baiting thing. Not cool goons.

Hmm, I've been in situations kind of like yours, but I didn't start talking about how they were legally required to like me and what I said because otherwise they'd bring it up constantly. I guess I'm just not an expert socializer.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

I wasn't aware I did either nor felt that way. If I was desperate for people to like me I'd be "taking the L" and just following along with the herd on things instead of actually going back and following the chain of convinces and maybe considering the possibility that the person claiming to have been misinterpreted might have actually been misinterpreted. I'm fully content with simply not being misquoted and misrepresented but if people choose to like me or my company that's definitely a nice bonus and absolutely a preference.

I somehow doubt that. A couple days later it's likely somebody else being attacked and misrepresented completely. As I've tried to point out while people are busy posting sassy reaction memes it's not like it's just me getting this poo poo often.

Well, on the face of the evidence, no, you weren't actually misinterpreted and you should probably gently caress along now.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Chilichimp posted:

Just figured I'd resurrect this loving gem.

The cool part about this kind of sentiment is that it's a level beyond most "ugh identity politics" articles. Those merely refuse to acknowledge the ideas, this guy goes one step further and says oppression doesn't matter. Beautiful.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
"I don't understand why people are taking my history of posting about how racism doesn't matter today and using that to understand my current posts! It's so unfair, it's hell dumping!"

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

Yes the arguing around in circles with no potential of a resolution thing really is stupid to me. The soul searching that America is trying to do in the aftermath of Charlottesville (that happened literally a day after ) and trying to figure it's poo poo out I made that post is something that I think definitely needs to happen though. Sorry I just don't think things get resolved and people's quality of life improves by flinging poo poo at each other on the internet and forcing discussions about identity politics into places where they have no place.

Discussions about racism have no place when discussing the Ku Klux Klan? Do you know anything, one single thing, at all?

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

I really am honestly amazed myself at the level to which this escalated looking back over the last 5 pages. :stare:

In retrospect I would have probably done and said a few things differently because I just figured people would be like "Oh my bad I see what you meant by that post now" instead of doubling down and doubling down and doubling down until now we're concocting a narrative where I'm a racist and a /pol/ plant troll. I understand that's what happens now and will be making note of it in the future that that's just what happens no matter what you say or do. When people dig in they dig in loving hard here, it's almost admirable in a way.

Thanks for the advice, it definitely tracks now.

No, no, keep telling us about the identity politics and how racism isn't relevant to discussing the KKK and Nazis. I insist.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

Nope I'm burying the hatchet now. I don't like it but since somebody finally made a convincing argument after like 5 pages it's time. Go attack someone else and get them to tell you about it now.

Man, dude, if someone asking to discuss what you believe makes you feel attacked, never, ever, for the love of Christ, leave your apartment. You won't last five minutes out there.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
Much later, when he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aukaleiano Buendía said this:

Kale posted:

Okay how about this. That post with the youtube video could have used more clarification and clearly didn't come across as intended and may have been tone deaf and admittedly I don't understand why still but whatever, I guess it's possible to interpret that as saying racism isn't an important topic if I'm a really cynical person that thinks every other person is up to no good somehow. However I still stand by believing that people should not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character and that what color a persons skin is will never ever matter to me so much as how they treat me and others around them and what their values and beliefs are. I'm definitely not changing that viewpoint because it's the way I lived my whole life and it's just common sense to me.

Also I already donated to GDQ's Hurricane Katrina fund which I think is the most urgent action is needed atm and frankly I don't trust the U.S government to properly earmark the funds that are going to be necessary for cleanup and recovery.

Hey just going with the flow and one the threads favorite topics we can all agree on. It's also kind of hard to pivot to a position you already kind of hold knowing it'll never be good enough for the user base anyway and they're clearly dead loving set on believing your a neo-nazi sympathizing racist no matter what.

Now that's cheeky.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

If Trumps being a poo poo in Texas tomorrow like he almost certainly will be and making headlines and people are still just making GBS threads on each other for no reason and calling out posts people made in other forums to poo poo on them and reacting to those instead of talking about the news and Trump that's when I say gently caress it to this thread and chalk it up as a lost cause.

Glad to hear it.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Kale posted:

Well Mr. One Week Poster you seem to want this thread to be hot loving garbage so I can't say I'm remotely surprised to hear that.

Alright how about this. I'm gonna go away for 2-3 hours, I'll come back and we'll see if this thread has gotten anywhere even close to back on track and not just other people making GBS threads on other people just because. I'm more than happy to do this and lets see what happens okay. My guess is you just start attacking another poster and talk about anything but Donald Trump, his administration and tweets but I truly hope I'm wrong.

I suggest trying this kind of lecturing on people in real life and seeing how much respect you get.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Arglebargle III posted:

Unpopular opinion: you guys dogpiling Kale for five pages sucks, even if he was guilty of saying some clueless white guy stuff and then getting huffy about it.

Arglebargle III posted:

It doesn't really help our case that more people have died at BLM events than Nazi events in recent history.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hmmmm.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

botany posted:

sure, that's all correct. i'd add that when the south koreans rioted because they didn't want to be divided and occupied, the US-SK leadership started banning political parties and declaring martial law. the election was also boycotted by a good number of south korean politicians, not just the soviet faction.

look, at the end of the day the only reason i'm talking about this is because i see some posters here calling for military intervention, and the whole thing started with a military intervention and occupation. to me, the whole korean disaster is another example of world powers looking at smaller foreign nations and going "hold on there, i don't like what you're doing, let me stick my dick in and make everything worse". my concern is for the citizens of the koreas, i have no interest in defending kim jong-il or his son. i hope that's clear now. so in the interest of those citizens, let's maybe not start another war.

see above

It's honestly absolutely incredible that people think that an invasion of North Korea could possibly end well for anyone involved, or could have before North Korea developed nuclear weapons, even.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Koalas March posted:

gently caress Ohio, University of Michigan 4L.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Calibanibal posted:

yall lucky I aint a mod or I would give people permission to express themselves and not police thoughts I deem overly negative or pessimistic

We're obviously not lucky because you continue to post.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Thanks for your mega hot sheetcaking take!!

Hell yes, I am looking forward to every goddamn left-wing activist killing themselves because shrieking idiots like you have reclassified self-care and psychological well-being as "sheetcaking" and will probably move on to declaring that psychiatric medication is some other dumbass meme.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

are you advocating that the US become a third world country for the people on the lowest rung?

I don't understand how you got that out of "Americans do not, on average, work much longer hours than the average for the OECD nations".

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

botany posted:

no, having a low amount of hours worked is actually good! high amounts correlate pretty strongly with lovely worker protection and poverty. the top 5 countries are mexico, south korea, greece, chile and russia. the bottom 5 are france, netherlands, norway, denmark and germany.

I do wonder if the US has a situation where some sectors have people working long hours but other sectors balance that out by relying primarily on temporary workers, though, creating a "worst of both worlds" situation.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

botany posted:

i have no idea, but it sounds plausible to me. if you can dig up some statistics about that, i'd love so see it.

Well, I did find a source which notes that salaried overtime is not counted in US governmental statistics, which is probably the OECD source for their numbers. This report uses census numbers that may be self-reported but it does break things down by occupational groups. Something like 30% of managers and legal workers work 45+ hours a week.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Lightning Knight posted:

Aren't the fascists still poised to do well in the French assembly elections, or did that already go down? Besides lol, after a few years of Macron being a dumbshit she's just going to win next time around. Meanwhile the Eurozone seems as precarious as ever, given that the Euro is and always was a very bad idea.

They already happened and Macron's party won 350 seats.

Also, I don't think people are going to abandon Macron for Le Pen over whatever left party assembles itself, unless the French population gets brainwashed somehow.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Have Macron's approval ratings in France gotten better? Last I saw they were Trump level or worse.

Macron's approval ratings are really low and most people don't think he'll fix France's problems, but the defeat of the FN seems to have made more people optimistic.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Can someone tell me why we're supposed to think she's a corncob or whatever? I know she was a prosecutor, but so what? Was there anything in particular about her a prosecutor that makes her subject to enhanced scrutiny? I've just heard people say "oh, when I found out about her time as a prosecutor...!" and whenever I ask what specifically I've gotten silence. Maybe it's just that the thread moves fast, I'm certainly open to reading anything you might have to tell me about her. But I have a feeling a large portion of the "I'm afraid she's a secret rightist" is actually "I'm afraid that she's openly a woman."

People single her out for the same reason there's a huge storm of anger over Deval Patrick and Corey Booker, IMO. They seek to tear down any generally center-left candidates that aren't Bernie Sanders or whatever neo-Bernie they latch onto, so that the minority voters who rejected Sanders in 2016 will be forced to vote for him/his successor because the alternatives are grotesques like Cuomo and Zuckerberg.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Gotta say that posting this after yelling at someone for being a know-nothing seems rather ironic.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

i disagree, we nearly had an fdr-style democrat as our nominee in 2016, so i think there's a real thirst for leftism in general right now. but in any case, the organizations and institutions for that kind of stuff are being built right now. people are getting more involved than they were before, as you can see with DSA membership swelling and such.

hopefully we have a good leftist presence in 2018 and 2020 and dems win back a lot of power and actually start fixing the problems with america

"fdr-style democrat"

"leftism"

Um.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

what exactly is the problem? not what you'd typically consider leftist?

Treating FDR as a leftist is historically ignorant hagiography that pushes an anti-democratic understanding of politics.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Hellblazer187 posted:

More embarrassing for the US, you mean? If we're still a superpower, then why can't we have UHC and real worker protections? Why is our infrastructure more like the infrastructure in Latin America than like the infrastructure in Europe and Japan?

Probably because "superpower" has very little to do with the domestic conditions of the state.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
It's been pretty funny to watch people rationalize their hatred of NAFTA without coming to grips about what "ending NAFTA" would actually mean.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

then she should just drop the prison part of the equation entirely, cause it's completely counter-productive

throwing parents in jail in any situation isn't gonna help that truancy. resources for parents that need help do. jail doesn't. further, california jails are already packed to the gills, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to throw even more non-violent offenders in

Isn't this an argument for eliminating child labor laws?

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

no, don't be silly

Well, see, if child labor is illegal but not criminalized, or if criminalization can never fall on the parents, then what good are child labor laws when there's no consequence for them? I suppose we're supposed to intimate that "legal intervention if necessary" doesn't refer to already-existing criminal situations like child abuse or child labor law violations?

Condiv posted:

throwing people in prison for making use of child labor does reduce child labor. throwing parents in jail for truant kids doesn't reduce truancy. you see, you want kids to go to school, and that's harder when their parents are in jail

Oh, you don't seem to understand that one of the potential causes of truancy is child labor.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

are you being intentionally obtuse?

The point is that there already exist situations where parents can face jail or prison for how they treat their children, and some of the crimes can result in truancy. So in order for your criticism to make sense, you would have to oppose any degree of criminalization of these actions, or you would have to be operating on a game of telephone where you assume that Californication Deathtroopers are breaking down doors and stealing children from innocent parents for missing a day of school.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

my argument is that turning truancy into a crime applicable to parents is idiotic cause it solves nothing and causes more problems

But truancy is already potentially a consequence of crimes committed by parents. So we must either assume that this is meant to generalize things to the point of arresting people because their child misses a day, against the face of the evidence, or we can conclude that dipshits on Twitter freaked out without knowing the context and now everyone that considers themselves on the left will be heartily and accidentally denouncing the idea that abusive parents should not be allowed to maintain custody of their children, because "critique" is more important.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

why can't they be charged with those crimes instead of criminalizing truancy? cause the law does in fact criminalize truancy itself, which as i said before doesn't make a lot of sense. if the kids are being abused, etc, then the parents can go to jail for that

Well, you could look at the fact that child abuse law in California is harshly written and applied, and create intermediate misdemeanor charges that can be used instead of putting someone away for 2 years with a felony charge (and the prospect of three-strikes laws), so that there's a spectrum of responses that can be used if the situation is one where legal intervention is warranted, along with the parental support parts of the truancy toolkit.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
Child labor laws, meanwhile, have a minimum fine of $5,000 for violating work-hour restrictions, which can be applied to parents or guardians who knowingly violate these laws. Which is again, pretty drat harsh to lay onto poor people.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
All of this points to the big structural issue that writing new crimes is easier than loosening standards on punishing existing crimes, because of the interest groups that are obsessed with law, order, and social control and who hold a great deal of political power. Which is also extremely relevant to issues like the War on Drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

so first you're angry cause you think i don't want to punish child abusers, now you've switched to this being an opportunity to be more lenient on child abuse?

how about this, a law like this would easily be exploited to jail minority parents. and the judicial system and jail would put those parents at a lot of risk (job loss, death, injury, and more). koalas march already gave you an anecdotal example from her life. now imagine if her mom could've been jailed for her truancy?

No, I posted about how your standards, the line of thinking you were using, namely that separating children from parents is inherently bad as a reason to oppose this law, leads to some bad places. Now I am posting about how these laws are broadly in line with efforts to make rehabilitative justice a larger part of California's legal system. There's no contradiction here unless you're stupid enough to believe that everything is binary.

All laws will be exploited to target minorities disproportionately. That's what living in an unjust system means. However, because these laws are written in a context to discourage legal intervention, it seems difficult to say that they are more disproportionately aimed at minorities than, say, assault and battery laws are (and assault and battery laws are disproportionately targeted at minorities, let's be clear). So this line of argument is not really compelling as a reason to specifically attack these laws, because the problem it highlights is not the existence of these laws, it's the structural and environmental racism of California's school system and the individual racism of Californian teachers.

• Locked thread