Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
It might have been Franklin who said that, I forget, but your point stands that those guys were not exactly laudable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Grapplejack posted:

Also remember that Bitcoins have zero actual value. People are buying the idea of currency with nothing to back it up or give it value. It is, in the most pure form, a speculation bubble.
One of my employees is really tempted to dabble in it because his friend put a few hundred in and now has some low 5 digit figure amount of unrealized gains.

I've given the requisite soapbox speeches about bubbles and bag holding and intrinsic value. He's at least only into it for speculation and not some libertarian ideology, and is only putting in an amount that he is okay with losing completely. But still watching him muse over buying when the price is in the stratosphere makes my investor reflexes convulse in pain.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Trent Franks has the 8th district of AZ, basically north & western phoenix, with republicans winning in landslides or unopposed since 2014.

It also got redistricted to hell and back in 2010.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 8, 2017

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Asking your staffer about surrogacy is definitely way loving inappropriate, but it has to be the mother of all fig leaf stories for what he really did and what others must have evidence beyond all doubt. Because the immediate eject button here is a little out of place.

If like if it was legitimate and his wife couldn't carry and they wanted a kid, ok, and still asking your staff is super hosed up, even if you were not suggesting conceiving through regular old sex and were really only serious about the child part. But you can probably keep your career if you make the right concessions if that were the case. Maybe, I think.

I'm guessing it's a super rosy spin on something like thirsty texts and Dennis Reynolds "The Implication" tactics, and then retaliation when these women said no.

I'd be a little surprised honestly if it turns out he was just really dumb about asking, in good faith, something so personal of people who work for him. And then got so embarrassed/whatever that he just resigned over it. I'm sure the penny will drop soon.

EDIT: reread this and wanted to clarify I'm not saying I don't think he doesn't deserve to lose his job in congress. More that I would expect any republican in that spot (if that's all that this was) to fight and say they didn't do anything too out of line and other disgusting justifications.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 8, 2017

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-07/u-s-household-wealth-hits-record-96-9-trillion-last-quarter

quote:

U.S. Household Wealth Hit Record $96.9 Trillion Last Quarter

U.S. household wealth in the third quarter rose to another record, driven by a stock-market surge and rising property values, figures from the Federal Reserve in Washington showed Thursday.

HIGHLIGHTS OF HOUSEHOLD WEALTH REPORT (THIRD QUARTER)
  • Net worth for households and non-profit groups rose by $1.7t q/q, or 1.8%, to $96.9t from a downwardly revised $95.2t, according to Fed’s financial accounts report, previously known as flow of funds survey
  • Value of financial assets, including stocks and pension fund holdings, increased by $1.4t to $78.9t
  • Household debt increased at a 3.7 percent annual rate after 3.8 percent in the second quarter
  • Household real-estate assets rose by $444.1b; owner’s equity as share of total real-estate holdings climbed to 58.6% from 58.3%

Key Takeaway

The gain in the value of financial assets reflects a 4 percent rise last quarter in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index, which is hovering near a record high this month. Households also benefited as house prices climbed 6.2 percent in September from a year ago, the most since mid-2014, based on S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller 20-city data.

The spike in net worth bodes well for the purchasing power of those Americans who own stocks and homes, which will help underpin household spending, the biggest part of the economy.

The report also showed companies had an all-time high $2.4 trillion in liquid assets, up from $2.3 trillion in the previous quarter and giving them the means to boost investment.

Other Details
  • Mortgage borrowing advanced at a 2.7 percent pace; other forms of consumer credit, including auto and student loans, climbed at a 4.9 percent rate
  • Total non-financial debt grew at a 6.2 percent annual pace, the fastest since the fourth quarter of 2015
  • Federal government obligations jumped an annualized 10.3 percent, the most since the final three months of 2015
  • State and local government debt fell at a 0.1 percent pace, the third quarterly decline, while business borrowing increased at a 5.4 percent rate
If I'm reading this right (I doubt I am perfectly):

If you remove stocks and similar financial assets ($78.9T) that leaves you with 18 trillion in net worth. I'm guessing that's property/homes and cash/cash-equivalent assets but maybe there's more in there. Anyway you're left with 18 trillion between non-profits and ~360 million people. There must be a missing figure in my math, I guess I don't know how big a footprint non-profits make in our national net worth.

Also lmao at companies holding $2.4 trillion in liquidity. Good thing we're passing a tax bill to increase that, they're sure to be creating jobs with it any day now ...

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 8, 2017

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

There Bias Two posted:

This is terrifying. America has been taken over by a death cult.
I was a little skeptical so I found the source and I think the headline is pretty misleading.

quote:

“Now, I don’t know about you, but when I heard about Jerusalem — where the King of Kings [applause] where our soon coming King is coming back to Jerusalem, it is because President Trump declared Jerusalem to be capital of Israel,”

It's a reference to a part of revelations (I guess? I was mercifully spared the bible growing up) but I doubt the crowd was celebrating much less realizing the link to armageddeon and instead were cheering because it uses holy-sounding words and also trump did a very stupid bold thing that no other president has done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzEGto67Jw&t=1992s

EDIT: Then again I might be underestimating religious people and maybe the crowd got the reference and is totally down for end times.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

enraged_camel posted:

That's just your personal opinion.

The journalism profession is under heavy fire, and the best way for journalists to defend the Fourth Estate is to follow journalistic standards of integrity and professionalism, the latter of which demands that the journalist verifies things before publishing them.

These standards are not new by the way. They have existed for a long time. And the journalist in question works for a top-notch news outlet that is known for, among other things, historically important reporting of Watergate back in the day. In this regard, the way this guy casually shared fake news on his main account (which he has inexplicably tied to his employer) is loving shameful and absolutely deserves condemnation.

Yes, the alt-right needs no excuses to poo poo on the mainstream media. But when you see a house on fire you don't casually throw firewood into it and say "well, it was going to burn down anyway".
I'd like to submit this post for the thread's "dumbest troll" hall of fame.

It's like a kaleidoscopic montage of bad takes.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Is it correct that this isn't counting provisional ballots? Presumably the margin will be even wider.

This news + classic Neil Young in the thread is making my night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44QPT1mPE&t=98s

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
So the black belt and the rest of all rural counties have mostly reported in giving us the current Moore+7, and it comes down to how effective the suppression campaigns worked in the cities and larger towns.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

TyrantWD posted:

Your precious needle has tipped below 2% for Jones!
The Needle tests our resolve to weed out the unworthy

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
The Fox News coverage of the election is currently a special piece of them weeping blood over women coming forward to ruin mens' careers (especially trump)

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
This election definitely mattered and while it's a victory, I can't say it doesn't feel bittersweet. Last year helped me shed some preconceptions of the country I live in, and was a sharp reminder about the "long" part of the arc of the moral universe.

On thanksgiving this year, a good friend of mine summed up in a simple FB post what I was feeling that day ,

quote:

Last year I didn't think we would make it to another thanksgiving. Thankful that we got to do this again.

Whatever's ahead of us I'll be taking victories as won not granted, and always with a touch of bittersweetness. In that vein, here's a song (and a context) that captures a bit of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUDRU9-HRk

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
At the moore HQ there's a hot mic picking up some guy ranting and raving about how awful jones is gonna be for america and AL, and that we're a constitutional republic not a democracy, and you can't find the word democracy in the constitution, and also don't worry folks, he does mention now and then about how he's not angry

It has this odd jiving rhythm with the calming music they have running at the venue.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Thank you AA voters, seriously we know you don't necessarily do it for us but still want to recognize we benefit from you overcoming and doing the damned hard but decent thing time and time again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNIwraYKBc

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Didn't Cleveland hire that Mesa, AZ cop who is terrified of defenseless/pleading young men who are doing their best to follow directions?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Knifegrab posted:

Maybe ... Maybe he can learn the err of his ways?

:suicide:
I mean you're right that he has a pretty good message about workers not being demeaned because their job is tough/lovely/unpleasant. And advocating for good work ethic isn't necessarily bad, but he does it in this way that completely betrays any goodwill he has towards a disenfranchised working class. In the end he reinforces the ownership-class rhetoric that you should lick the boots of your employers and self flagellate if you find yourself thinking you deserve any better than you're getting.

I don't know him that well but I do think that he is, eh, call it 80% genuine and doesn't really grasp how pernicious and self-harming his attitude is for people who actually are scratching together a living with tough work and meager pay. You can laud the person so long as you also support their actual elevation out of that.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 14, 2017

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Hobo Erotica posted:

I get it, there are shades of libertarianism and bootstraps in there
shades? That thing is the FYGM manifesto.

It's sugar coated because it's worded in ennobling 1st person affirmations. But if you strongly believe in those points then you are probably going to teach/instruct others to share those same values. It's total bullshit that something like this is for everyone's individual preference or not, take it or leave it. This kind of thing will circulate because it sounds so sensible and good, and then it becomes a club to beat down people who reject it.

It's meant to be instructive, so let's rewrite it in 2nd person and see how it scans:

quote:

“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)

1. You have won the greatest lottery of all time. You are alive. You walk the Earth. You live in America. Above all things, you should be grateful.

2. You are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. Also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. There is no such thing as a “bad job.” All jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to you to make the best of them.

4. You do not “follow your passion.” You bring it with you. Any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. Deplore debt, and do all you can to avoid it. You should live in a tent and eat beans rather than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle you can’t afford.

6. Your safety is your responsibility. Being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean you're out of danger.

7. The best way to distinguish yourself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. The most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. Never make them. If you are unhappy in your work, either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. Your education is your responsibility, and absolutely critical to your success. Learn as much as you can from whatever source is available to you. Never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. You are a product of your choices – not your circumstances. Never blame anyone for your shortcomings or the challenges you face. And never accept the credit for something you didn’t do.

11. The world is not fair, and that's OK. Do not resent the success of others.

12. All people are created equal. all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. Choose to work your butt off.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 14, 2017

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
My neo-classical liberal / professional contrarian friend is on facebook arguing that killing NN is not a big deal / nobody will care or remember or even tell the difference within a year from now and actually common carrier regs would have ruined the internet.

I was polite and empathetic when obama / reid were in power and he was declaring end times. Definitely won't make that mistake again

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Which Trump is George Michael?
Barron I would think. Essentially blameless and his own foibles are harmless and can be chalked up to youth.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Koalas March posted:

Thank you! Sorry I had a creeper boss who would do that poo poo to me and it's annoying and demeaning as all hell.
Funny anecdote my wife works at a small company where the general office manager is a woman named "Honey".

During her first day she kept witnessing the (male) CEO addressing Honey across the hall about random everyday work things, and not yet knowing it was the woman's name it really gave my wife the "welp, gently caress, should not have taken this job" chills. Then on the second day I start getting texts from her saying "OH gently caress HONEY IS ACTUALLY HER LITERAL NAME LMAO", to great relief.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 18, 2017

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well technically the Dems could have stopped any voting by staging an armed revolt and holding the Senate floor hostage but chose not to. If you think about it that makes them just as bad as the Republicans really.
This will be one of those posts that is mostly satirical right now, but when it's quoted/linked some time in the near future it will be regarded as absolutely the most dead sober correct assessment anyone could make of the elected dems at this point in time.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Fart City posted:

Disney released footage of its Hall Of Presidents Robo-Trump, and hooboy is it fuckin bonkers. I guess even the talented Disney Imagineers can't quite capture Trump's... Trumpness.

quote:

The big question that has been on everyone’s minds since January? What could robo-Trump possibly say that would both sound like him and appeal to a family-friendly audience? The whole thing about Mexican rapists probably wouldn’t fly. And calling the intelligence community Nazis probably wouldn’t sound too great. That stuff about grabbing women by the pussy is definitely out.

A clip posted by the website WDW Magic shows that George Washington introduces Trump, who then recites the oath of office. He then says:

"From the beginning, America has been a nation defined by its people. At our founding, it was the American people who rose up to defend our freedoms and win our independence. It was why our founders began our great constitution with three very simple words: we the people. Since that moment, each generation of Americans has taken its place in the defense of our freedom, our flag, and our nation under God.

These are the achievements of the American spirit—the spirit of a people who fought and died to bring the blessings of liberty to all our people. Above all, to be an American is to be an optimist, to believe that we can always do better and that the best days of our great nation are still ahead of us. It’s a privilege to serve as the president of the United States, to stand here among so many great leaders of our past, and to work on behalf of the American people."
This is how monsters get normalized.

You don't want to include the bits that made him stand out and brought his voters to the polls, because the things he said that brought him to power are grotesque, and you are concerned about mass appeal. So instead of capturing his essence as a political figure, you fill his persona with inert stuffing, put it on display, and say to everyone that this intentional misrepresentation of him... is him.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Rip Testes posted:

Where are the multi-lingual options on the Whitehouse website? I cannot find them and they should be easy to find because there's so little on the site.
They tore that out within a day or two of inauguration.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-white-house-website-is-no-longer-1485199463-htmlstory.html

EDIT: animatronic dog tax:

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 19, 2017

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

The Glumslinger posted:

Its probably accurate, but isn't the CBO using "dynamic scoring" which basically equates to "tax cuts create unicorns that fart jobs"
I still can't understand why the left / the dems / anyone doesn't lean in hard on the message of:

1) Corporations have trillions in liquid cash just sitting around.

2) If more money to businesses creates more jobs, why aren't any jobs being created with that?

3) If you still believe businesses need more money to create jobs, how would increasing their cash reserves by a few percent change anything?

You can also take the less ethical option and morph this message into a "governmental finance as a single family budget" story.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
The third board member will slyly pull the hidden magnet away from the bowl, hat or box when the cameras and the room's attention is affixed on the calling of the first name.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I'll accept this scenario if the single renter was flat broke and about to get evicted after his job got shipped overseas thanks to the tax bill. So he killed and ate the rich elderly couple and while in their home managed to get onto their swiss account and transfer $20 million (which they had outside of their known $30m estate) to himself.

And he is now paying himself $1m / year to live it up since he figures it will take a couple decades before the evidence links back to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Internet Kraken posted:

Its hard to imagine something sadder than the GOP trying to run Romney again.

Insert your own Hillary joke if you feel like it

Though it does raise the question, does the GOP have their own Hillary?

Jeb! hits a lot of the marks but nobody cared half as much for half as long about him. Romney also is a candidate but the opposition never saw him getting office as a catastrophic scenario, just a lovely one. Newt has a certain allure for the role as well.

• Locked thread