Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Making you unable to do called shots with missiles would solve alot of the problems with both the tactics line and missiles in general.

They already have much better damage per ton/heat than everything else. The whole tradeoff is supposed to be that they scatter damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Section Z posted:

Honestly the big reason I used (Moral) called shots with LRMs is if I REALLY need to push back a target in the initiative bracket and I'm busy using my bots for other stuff or had already used em. Whether it's 30 or 60 LRMS you're more likely to have the majority of them hit torso sections anyways, compared to having a dicso bot you really REALLY want to hit the same spot (I do have comically bad luck with my Grasshopper backstabs in MG range deciding to spread as much as humanly possible though.).

I agree with drastically reducing the specific location targeting on LRMS though. But I expect if such a thing ever happened it would bleed over into SRMS because talks about missiles being too accurate often drags them down with them, despite the initial subject about trying to encourage brawling.

I haven't seen any distinction between the way LRMs/SRMs work with called shots and other weapons. The reason why you still see LRMs/SRMs hitting other sections is that the hit location is rolled for each missile, so in a cloud of 20+ LRMs, you're definitely going to see some of them hit other sections. With just 3 PPCs/ACs, they'll mostly all drill the called location.

I've got an AWQ Q and a T, Q with 3 PPCs, T with PPC/LRM40, and the T is just superior to the Q (both are inferior to a similarly equiped KGC, but whatever). Q does punch more holes, but when you do morale called shots, the T drills harder and cooler.

And yeah, they would need to apply this to SRMs too. SRM6s (especially the +++ ones) are just way too good already without morale shots turning them into drills.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Finally got a king crab. Trying a missile+laser version but will likely turn it into a 2x ac20 monster shortly. Trying the long range highlander and it feels anemic on damage. That Gun, ppc+++, lrm20+++.

2x AC20, 6 tons ammo, 3x jump jets, and rest into heatsinks works really well.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jedit posted:

For KC or Highlander? My best Highlander build has a wad of lasers and 20 tubes of SRM at minimum ++. With a bit of luck it can core a 65T Mech with one hit.

I also combined it with my Original Night Stalker LRM build to get the Double Kill achievement on two fresh 60Ts. I didn't even know that existed.

KC. With the ++ ACs a precision strike will straight up kill most heavies and light assaults (lol stock jagers).

I don't have any super optimized highlanders. I usually just run something close to stock and play it as a midrange harasser.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Psion posted:

I have three king crabs right now, working on number four, so yeah.

The basic "works just fine" KC is as you describe. The jump jets are pretty important here just because they're very slow; it's either take JJs and be able to position across terrain features that would otherwise take two turns or require you to sprint, or uh, take JJs. Unless you can guarantee flat roads to work on, which you can't, the jets are worth the tonnage. It delivers a crushing amount of both damage and stability damage every turn like clockwork, and is the perfect place to put in your AC/20 ++ and +++ models you've been hanging on to. I have two like this.

I tried a few builds with a couple MLs in there instead of jumpjets and they just run too hot, and the tonnage for lasers, jets, heatsinks, and AC20s just doesn't work out. So the lasers had to go so I could use my ACs every round instead of every other.

My third King Crab is a 4x SRM6, 4 ML, 4 SL "get close to me and die" type; it has almost max armor, 3 jets, runs reasonably cool, and even with stock weapons can deliver almost 400 damage in an alpha at close range, 'only' 300 if I'm outside 90m. Mine has a lot of +damage weapons so it's delivering 500. It's obscene and I love it.

My fourth (which I don't have yet) will be my LRM boat and probably still have enough tonnage for some LL or PPC fire support and that's gonna be fine. I don't think the King Crab is the ideal lrm boat by any means but I have a theme to live up to here.

Yeah, I tried lasers or srms with the 20s, and it was just too hot. 2 20s on a heavily armored jumping platform is enough.

I haven't made the ml+srm KGC yet because I already made the srm24, 4xml stalker, and it was just too ridiculously powerful.

I have 2 other KGCs. One has 2xac10, lrm20. It runs cold so I use it for consistent fs on martian and lunar maps. For other maps, the other KGC runs 2xac5, ppc, lrm20.

I have one more in storage. Maybe I'll break it out and see just hire broken the ml srm version is.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
The awesome had way to much armor for its usual role (fire support). Drop its armor to about 1000+ total, and 3xPPC, 1xLL 2xPPC, 1xLL or PPC 2xLRM20 works great with a pilot that has bulwark.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

biglads posted:

I'm in what I'm guessing is mid-game and I just picked up my second Assault Mech. It's the (energy weapon) Banshee and it's very underwhelming.

My standard lance is a Highlander with LRMs and a PPC, an 'in your face' brawler which is either a Black Knight or Grasshopper and a couple of AC20 based damage dealers - choose 2 from my 2 Orions & single Cataphract. I have a double PPC setup on the Banshee with a few MLs thrown in, but the heat issues and general 'meh' of the PPCs means I just can't find a suitable role for it. Am I missing something with the Banshee or is it just a bit limited/situational?

The only thing the 3M has going for it over a similar speed heavy is the potential to mount more armor, higher melee damage, and lots of support slots. Don't bother with PPCs. Go with ~6xML, fill up the support slots to taste (i.e. do you want to shut down with flamers, or go for damage with SLs), max out armor (except on the arms), and then fill up the rest with arm mods and heat sinks as prefered (I usually don't run arm mods). Don't bother with JJs. They're too heavy.

Sprint (preferably into cover) to close distance, then get in the enemy's face while your other infighters and FS take advantage of the distraction. Fire everything till you get too hot, then punch. Other mechs can do the job better (GHR), but it can still be made to work until you fill up your mech bays with something better.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Darkrenown posted:

Really the Llaser and PPC need to weigh less to be competitive, but I cannot be bothered editing stock mechs to use up the freed space so I just increased the damage a bit and said smaller lasers gets to be more weight efficient while larger ones get to be more heat efficient so they can offset the stupid weight with less heatsinks.

They proportionally increased the heat on PPCs and LLs (and other weapons) relative to where they were in PnP, for some reason. 30 heat on the PPC and 24 heat on the LL would put them where they were in battletech PnP.

I wasn't in on the beta, but were these heat values tried in beta? Were the PPC/LL just too good at these heat levels?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Does anyone else think that there should be an initiative phase 0?

As it is, if you knock down an assault on phase 1, it can just stand right back up when your opponent gets a turn. With any other weight class, if you get knocked down, you're down until all of the other mechs in your class go (e.g. in a fight between all heavies, if a mech gets knocked down, it's down until all the other heavies move or reserve).

A phase 0 would also let assaults reserve, which they can't do now, without master tactician.

A related idea, maybe initiative should be based on speed, not tonnage. This would put the Banshee and Battlemaster in initiative phase 2, the dragon and Quickdraw in phase 3, and cicada in phase 4. In PnP terms, 3/5 mechs are phase 1, 4/6 are 2, 5/8 are 3, and faster are 4. 5 is reserved for master tactician. This would help too fast for their class mechs. It would also penalize slow mechs (blackjack, vindicator, panther).

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

KDdidit posted:

What do people do with the Story Atlas? My main lance is an 2x AC/20 KC, a SRM/M'laser boat KC, and a LRM missile boat and I'm trying to figure out a role for the Atlas II in that. I messed around in the Mechbay with a 4 PPC build but I couldn't pull the trigger on that mess.

2x PPC, AC10, 4x ML, SRM10.

Alpha strike still eliminates just about anything, especially when you get +10 damage MLs and +4 damage SRMs. Unlike a pure brawler, it can also fight at range. I usually go with stability mod PPCs and AC10. PPCs and AC10 ate almost perfectly efficient, everything minus one PPC is almost efficient, AC10 and MLs/SRMs cols you down.

It is inspired by my favorite mech, the steiner banshee, which sadly isn't in this game.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Light mechs could be made useful in the end game, without adding arbitrary tonnage limits to drops, by allowing you to drop up to 8 mechs and 400 tons. So you could drop with 4 atlases, 3 atlases and 5 locusts, 1 atlas and 4 orions, etc.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

400 is already the maximum you can bring. It wouldn't limit you any more than you already are.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Aramoro posted:

None of that changes the fact a light will get instantly cored by any LRM boat.

This is the big problem when you start to include lights in matches were assaults/heavies are in play. Even with a 400 tons / 8 mechs format (where 3 firestarters can almost replace an atlas), you're still in an environment where there are mechs on the field that can delete/leg a light mech with a lucky hit or two, or a big alpha strike.

I spent alot of time time thinking about this back when I quit MWO (sometime around when they introduced 3rd person and ghost heat, and it became clear to me that these guys had no idea what they were doing). Its probably alot of :words: noone will ready, but what the hell.

The basic idea is to give to hit and armor bonus based on the size (not mass) of mechs, balanced by tonnage (only mechs of a certain tonnage range can be a certain size) and internal space. Battletech 2018 already has some of this, where they have a to hit malus against smaller mechs. This would take it further.

The thing that got me thinking about this was comparing the physical size of the locust and the atlas in MWO. The locust is super tiny, which makes it harder to hit; something that wasn't in PnP. Logically, the locust should also have less internal space (why should an Atlas and Locust have the same physical space) but it should also gain more armor protection from the same tonnage of armor (less surface area = greater armor thickness per ton. So the outlines for the idea is as follows:
-There are different sizes of mechs, roughly correlating with weight class
-Smaller mechs have less internal space
-Smaller mechs have the same max armor tonnage as before, but get more points of armor per ton
-Smaller mechs have a to-hit malus

As a model for this imagine 4 size classes with the following tonnage ranges
-Very Small: 20-35 tons
-Small: 40-55 tons
-Normal: 60-75 tons
-Huge: 80-100 tons

Now as a model (these exact numbers probably aren't necessarily balanced, but are there to demonstrate how a system like this might work), consider the following changes for these size classes:

Very Small
-Minus 4 critical slots per arm/side torso, minus 2 critical slots per CT/legs
-difficulty to hit +4
-150% armor per ton
-Ferro Fibrous/Endo Steel take up 10 slots each

Small
-Minus 2 critical slots per arm/side torso, minus 1 critical slots per CT/legs
-difficulty to hit +2
-125% armor per ton
-Ferro Fibrous/Endo Steel take up 12 slots eac 1

Normal
-No change in critical slots
-No to hit difficulty modifier
-No change to armor per ton
-Ferro Fibrous/Endo Steel take up 14 slots (value from PnP battletech)

Huge
-Plus 2 critical slots per armor/side torso, Plus 2 critical slots per CT/Legs
-difficulty to hit -2
-90% armor per ton
-Ferro Fibrous/Endo Steel take up 16 slots

So with this method, light mechs would get maximum armor levels more in line with medium mechs. Mediums would also be more competitive with heavies in terms of armor, and the biggest assaults would get an armor nerf. The change in internal space wouldn't be of huge consequence now, however, when star league tech starts getting introduced (esp. DHS), then it becomes much more important.

However, this system could be used to differentiate mechs moreso than they are now. Consider the following size/tonnage brackets:
-Very Small: 20-45 tons
-Small: 35-60 tons
-Normal: 50-85 tons
-Huge: 75-100 tons

So now, certain weight classes could be one of two sizes. For example, the Cicada, which is essentially an overgrown locust, could be made very small, which would give it an armor boost, making it more useful (although it would now completely eclipse the locust). Some of the 80-85 ton mechs, like the Victor and Awesome which really don't look as big as the Atlas, could be shifted down to normal size. The Orion, which in lore has lots of space to work around in but doesn't have any more space than any other mech, would be set to huge, giving it a comparative advantage with weight saving tech like DHS and FF armor later on down the line. Anyway, it would be a way to differentiate mechs with the same mass.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Fraction Jackson posted:

The second is that if it was there it would make the Highlander and Atlas seem pointless.

You can make the Banshee S (with even more ) with the endgame atlas.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Section Z posted:

Everything except Juggernaut (the only skill to do literally nothing for you when fighting an assault mech) is a pretty cool #8 skill to go for.

There really needs to be an initiative phase 0 that assault mechs can be knocked into by knockdown, juggernaut, etc.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Gwaihir posted:

If you're playing MP, then it brings a huge amount of payload space for it's cost.

I haven't gotten into MP yet. Is it really possible to make a competitive 25m lance with an awesome? After the awesome, you're only going to have about 15m or 16m left to work with, right?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Section Z posted:

At least I can understand why there is no initiative zero. It's to force the assaults to stick in and not keep trying to out reserve eachother, be it players in SP or giving assaults some kind of actual flaw in MP. Initiative Zero would still leave Juggy punch rather lackluster whether it's #8 or prank game design #5 regardless. "Here he comes. Here comes the Atlas to punch them... any day now... any day he'll reach melee range." Master Tactician at least involves a heavy pilot investment, but you still can't reserve below the norm.

Plus even if there was an initiative Zero. EVEN if it could only be entered by getting knocked down?

Imagine all the people crying over their custom victory lap lances already, if they could reserve to zero and/or 60 LRM spam mechs into initiative zero. Without any of them so much as looking at juggy punch.

Juggernaut is a separate issue. Even with initiative 0, it needs a rework to be useful. The best solutions (both posted by people in this thread) are to either make melee attacks auto brace and entrench even after a move (ie bulwark for melee), or to allow you to make melee attacks out of a sprint.

As for phase 0, it would just make game mechanics for assaults the same as for every weight class. I'm not keeping track about what people are complaining about in multiplayer, but if lrm60 knockdown bots are an issue, I'm not exactly clear on how being able to reserve into 0 would make it worse (not saying it won't, just saying I don't know why).

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Does anybody know the conversion multipliers for numbers off hand? Like, TT to HBS. Like heat is 3x, etc.

3x heat and 5x damage/armor.

That said, there have been balance changes from TT. A direct translation of the TT PPC would be 40 damage, 30 heat. The AC5 was buffed, and would be 25 damage, 3 heat if directly translated (it needed a buff )

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

KoldPT posted:

Is there any good assault-tier replacement for the Grasshopper? I captured a Battlemaster and it has a ton of lasers, but not nearly as many support slots.

As others have mentioned, you can run a BNC-3M, but its not worth adding JJs because they're twice as heavy. I run a BNC-3M with all of the lasers, nearly maxed armor (~110 on the arms, ~75 on back torsos) with the rest into heat sinks. Put a pilot in it with master tactician and it makes a nice finisher in the end game. Use turns where you're overheating to melee, sprint in closer, or brace. Precision shot to rear armor is a kill. Precision shot to a leg is a knockdown. Master tactician means you go first next turn to finish off whatever is left.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Is the MRBC rating bugged or something?

I've been trying to get a 5 star rating, and every time I pass 900, all of the stars go away. I've even gone up to 1000 and nothing.

Along the same lines, I ran into a 5 skull mission that said I had too low a rating to run it. This was after getting 900+ with the MRBC and while being at allied status with the employer. There was another 5 skull mission from the same employer on the same planet (Hellespont, TC) that I was able to run. What's up with this?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I've been replaying the campaign with the new patch and it seems noticeably harder (I'm not playing with any of the custom difficulty settings, yet). The changes were subtle, but effective. The fact that lights are harder to hit, mechs fall down less often, and SRMs are no longer called shot drills make mechs last much longer. The nerf to called shot SRMs and knockdowns also makes it much harder to dissect mechs, and therefore harder to salvage. Additionally, the longer mech lifespan and the greater contact variability means that the missions feel much harder as well. I'm currently in the waiting period before grave robbing so we'll see what things are like after I get the lostech highlander.

The balance changes (especially to the LLs) are also quite welcome and really open up some new options. This combined with the aforementioned SRM/stability nerfs have completely changed how I configure mechs. I'm also enjoying the new events showing up. Overall, a great patch that breaths some more life into the game.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

MW4 has my favourite mechlab system overall. It was the right amount of customizable meets restrictive for me.

Hardpoints should have size restrictions, like they did in Mw4, but keep the one weapon per hardpoint restriction like they have in this game.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Super 3 posted:

How is the LL Awesome boat? They did buff/change LL's so they're not trash anymore.

They reduced LL heat to 18 from 30. LLs are amazing now, and so is the awesome laser boat.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Rosoboronexport posted:

The PPC carrier is still under consideration, most likely it would work better if I would install all my DHS from the two plot mechs. Currently after alpha strike I have to cool 2-3 rounds only firing one PPC at a time until I gan alpha again. It's good for knocking down mechs destabilised by my LRM80++ Stalker though and then I can get to work with the Lawesome.

I think the PPC Awesome can work too. I drop armor to 1080 total, drop the small laser, and use the remaining tonnage to get in another 2 or 3 HS. It also really needs either the +30 stab or +10 damage versions to really shine. Put a bulwark pilot in it and keep it in the back lines, and it works great. Once the pilot gets up to tactics 9, its a really great finisher. On polar maps, it doesn't gain heat. On desert/martian maps, its manageable. I wouldn't bring it on lunar maps.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Wafflecopper posted:

Has anyone else run into a Thermal Exchanger? I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread and I've only ever run into one myself over one finished campaign and two half-campaigns. They're pretty OP, especially in big mechs with lots of guns:

I found a 20% exchanger on a research world in one of three 1k+ day campaigns. They are exceptionally rare.

The 20% exchanger made a 3x PPC awesome nearly hearty neutral at normal conditions and easily usable in desert/martian conditions before the patch.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Xarbala posted:

Right?

I had to mothball, then re-equip, mechs to arrange them in my preferred order.

I knew I wasn't the only person doing this.

Do you arrange them by lance (each row = lance + reserves) and name them all for their intended pilot? :shepface:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Xarbala posted:

Only their signature mechs. It was an exercise in restraint.

It's been months since this was relevant, but I should mention I was one of those nutjobs who went to great lengths trying to find a workaround to getting custom portraits in the campaign and then ensuring I could recruit the pilots with them.

:negative:

I didn't try getting custom portraits into the game, but once we were able to customize pilots, I did go ahead and rename/remodel all of my pilots after the guys in my UTS/NBT4/NBT4-mercs MW4 team. Of course they were assigned to mechs that were similar to their favorite/best mechs in MW4. Why yes, I spent way too much time thinking about this.

You are not the only nutjob. :hf:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
So I've been having this issue with my MRBC rating and I was wondering if anyone else is having it and/or if this is a known bug or something.

Basically, my MRBC rating tracks just fine as long as I stay below 900.

However, once I go over 900, the stars disappear and the progress bar kind of gets weird (It just sits there, and I don't know what its counting up to?). The main thing is that I can't get a 5 star rating, and I'm getting missions (from factions I'm allied with) that I can't accept because my faction rating or MRBC rating is too low to accept (its not the faction rating), so its not that I have a 5 star rating and its just hidden or something.

Is there a solution for this? It just bugs the hell out of me that I can't see everything in the game, and it seems weird that this hasn't been fixed yet.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I've decided to start a modded campaign on higher difficulty settings. I've already downloaded merc deployments and basic panic system. Are there any other universally recommended mods? Mods that add more types of missions or maybe more pilot variety would be good. Maybe more mechs/weapons if they're done well/aren't too ridiculous. I've seen roguetech and am not interested due to some of the changes it makes.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I also remember some people here talking about an AI mod that made the AI behave more like a human. Is this the one?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-release-better-ai-tweaks-for-deadlier-ai.1075322/

I remember the feedback on this one being good. Am I remembering correctly?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

Yes, it is good. But I'm biased as I'm the creator. It's better than stock, but it's not some AI-Kerensky yet. "Less Dumb" is an apt phrase.

I'm away on business and haven't been able to work on it for a month or so. But my plans are to keep making the AI more aggressive while not losing the defensive base I've established.

Your mod is queued up for my next campaign. I'll be running it, merc deployments, panic system, and a small one I made to change all PPC heat to 30. Thank you for your hard work! :thumbsup:

DatonKallandor posted:

Just the fact that it lets the AI reserve again is a huge game changer.

Yeah, that is pretty huge. I posted earlier in this thread that there really needs to be an initiative phase 0, so that the mechanics for assault mechs matched the other weight classes (i.e. assaults could then reserve and be knocked back an initiative phase). Someone pointed out (forgot who, but he has a moon patrol avatar) that the big problem with this is that it would let you cheese the AI even harder. If the AI can reserve then this isn't an issue.

The last mod I'm looking for is something that improves juggernaut. I found this one (https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/87), but this is too powerful. A mod that just autobraced after melee or allowed a melee attack out of a sprint would be enough. Are there any like this (or an earlier version of this mod that does this), or is there a place I can go to read about how to do this myself?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

I'm away on business and haven't been able to work on it for a month or so. But my plans are to keep making the AI more aggressive while not losing the defensive base I've established.

I've started poking away at your mod (with the other mods I've mentioned) and can give some first impressions. I loaded up one of my late game campaigns (5 years in, basically maxed out mechs/pilots) to see if/how the mods were working.

The first thing is that the enemy mechs are definitely less suicidal. Their use of brace/bulwark makes it much harder to just start a chain of precision strike kill into precision strike kill into etc.

The one hole in the AI that I've noticed is that they really don't react well to obvious attempts on my part to put something nasty in their rear arc. My usual lance composition is at least one dedicated FS/ranged mech (STK LRM, LL/PPC/AC sniper, etc), one brawler (GHR/BNC ML/SL boat, pure short range AS7), and two other mechs that are something in between. The general idea is to get the ranged guy in back, midline (bulwark guys) form a line and brawler sprints/vigilances into kill range/rear arc. The AI now plays defensively enough to keep the midrange guys from straight up killing them with precision strikes, but they don't react when I start sprinting the brawler around them. There were several times when I clearly had a ML/SL boat one turn away from getting into their rear arc, they didn't do anything about it (too focused on the midrange guys, who were also bullwarked/in cover I guess).

I'm not sure the stock AI was any better about recognizing this, but because it was so aggressive, it feels like it was actually harder to safely maneuver my brawler into position.

I don't know if this information is helpful, but I'll be starting a new campaign with it on. I'll see if this is a consistent issue or just my late game mechs outmatching whatever the AI has, leaving it with no good options.

EDIT: should add that overall, the new AI feels great.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Chronojam posted:

The tricky part is not introducing obviously best choices, or flooding things with meaningless garbage.

TT needs a rebalance. Too many developers don't get this and end up failing badly when making a MW game. :pgi:

Other developers avoid this by treating TT as nothing more than guidelines (MW4) or by making the obvious tweaks like Battletech has done (the LL and ML heat modifications are perfect, and the AC tweaks are almost perfect).

I'm fairly confident HBS will figure out a way to add lostech/clantech in a way that won't be completely broken one way or the other. Lol @ MW5 though.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
The new patch (I'm not playing on beta, so I'm not seeing all of these stupid changes to the skill tree) has broken amechwarrior's AI mod! All mechs and vehicles just move and then brace. This was in the Smithon campaign mission, and then a regular mission afterward.

I re-ran the BTML injector after patching. Other mods (merc deployments, better juggernaut, panic system, and PPC heat to 30) all appear to be working fine.

EDIT: anyone else using this mod see this issue?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Everybody already knows what the fix for juggernaut was: brace on melee attack (keep init -1 because why the hell not ... or don't doesn't matter). There's a mod for it. EVERYONE knows it. Hell, it even works with their whole "encourage movement" philosophy. Why is this so hard for them?

Also, why take the two most useful slot 5 skills and change them? Sure, bulwark may have been OP, but why change it into something completely different? Why not make it so that you get, when standing still, cover/entrenched in open ground and guarded/entrenched in cover? For evasive movement, why not make it like ~25-33% (minimum +1) evasion pips (would get an extra pip or two with fast lights/meds, while heavies/assaults remain mostly unchanged). Why not do something to multi-targeting to make it useful without breaching shot?

Also, why do people keep thinking that coolant that isn't a piece of equipment is a good idea? I loved MW4, but the worst thing it ever did to the MW/BT franchise was introduce coolant as something that doesn't take up slots/tons. Its just a stupid get out of jail free card that the game isn't balanced around. I don't know what its going to screw up, but it will screw something up.

Sorry, just ranting because I can't play BATTLETECH because the new patch screwed up amechwarriors AI mod!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

GotLag posted:

Looking for loadout advice, my current mechs are:
* Thunderbolt, near-stock (replaced PPC with LL+ML, thinking about swapping it back) - brawler
* Orion, with AC/10 upgraded to AC/20, and missiles replaced with 2x SRM6 - brawler
* Trebuchet, stock - lurm boat
* Jagermech JM6-S (i.e. autocannon only, no missile mount points), stock - direct fire support

Any suggestions for getting more bang for my buck?

Also where in gently caress can I find a catapult? I've liberated Smithon and but so far I've only seen one once, in an assassination mission where like an idiot I'd negotiated for all cash and no salvage.

Edit: not running any mods

Thunderbolt: Sounds good already. This is the SS Tbolt, right? Only suggestion would be to drop SRMs (if you have them) for SLs and (close to) max armor. If it runs too hot, drop the LL for another ML and heat sinks. This will essentially give you a 65 ton HBK-P with more armor and more melee power.

Orion: Go with AC20, 2xML, 1xSRM or AC20, 2xSRM. Two MLs and SRM6s will be too hot.

Trebuchet: If you want LRMs, drop the MLs and go with 3 tons of ammo. What I like doing with them is dropping the LRMs entirely, going for near max armor and 3xML/2xSRM6. This is a solid brawler in 3 skull and less missions.

JM6: 2xAC5, LL.

Catapults: Just keep doing 3-4 skull missions. I think (though I may be imagining it) that fighting against Cappellans (and maybe FWL?) yeilds more catapults. If you're looking for LRMs, there is an Orion with a missile hardpoint in each arm. It looks goofy, but it can easily do 3xLRM15 or 2xLRM20 with enough ammo to last forever (don't bother with MLs).

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Is there a way to un-patch and go back to pre 1.2?

I had a campaign and a good set of mods I liked and 1.2 breaks them. It broke amechwarrior's AI mod, although someone on the paradox forums already posted a fix. It broke the merc deployments mod, but that can be fixed with the 0.4 alpha of BTML and a new version of merc deployments ... however BTML 0.4 breaks the basic panic system mod.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I need to turn auto patch off for this game. It kinda bummed me out as I had a great mix of mods. Need to write down what I had.

This mod collection has updated versions (not released by the developers) of mods that are compatible with the 0.4 alpha of BTML and with the 1.2 patch of BATTLETECH. I'm merc deployments, better AI and panic system from this mod collection (its all modular, so you can just copy paste the mod folders you want. Hope your favorite mods are in here too.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/modpack-dz_consolidated_company_commander.1099514/

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

So what's everyone's thoughts on the Abilities Beta?

I have mod that keeps abilities as they were, but makes Juggernaut autobrace on melee hit, so I'm enjoying it so far.

Seriously though coolant that doesn't cost space/tonnage is and always has been a bad idea. Everyone knew that the fix for Juggernaut was to have it autobrace in melee. Also, the fix for Bulwark is for it to give cover in open terrain and guarded in trees/cover.

I've been using the fix for you mod in the dz company commander mod collection and am still enjoying it. Is this the best place for feedback, or do you check the paradox forums for feedback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

I check both the PDX and this thread for feedback on my AI mod. Right now I got a free day to mess around with the AI, the first day in months. So far I'm working to make it more aggressive by jacking up the "I want to deal max dmg." I need to not push it so far it returns to making bad positioning choices for the sake of damage. That and I've isolated some weaknesses in the reserve hold-off that I should be able to fix, just that testing reserve settings is a slog. I did update the mod for 1.2.0 and put out one for the abilities beta the other night, but both are just the previous builds with the new variables so they run fine in the new versions. The abilities beta adds 3 new variables, but they are really strait forward and sensibly leveled, no point in adjusting.

So on my new campaign, I'm just through the Smithon defense. I've got the Star League Highlander, a handful of heavies (K2, GHR, ON1, JM6), and a few mediums (SHD infighters and a FS GRF). I'm running with hard enemies, 5 parts to salvage, the aforementioned juggernaut mod, panic system mod, merc deployments mod, and a small self-made mod that drops PPC heat to 30.

Overall, I'd say that the mod makes the AI much better. I noticed in early missions, when my lance of mediums was getting overrun by commando swarms, that the enemy mechs were much better about getting into rear arcs and priming weakened targets. The AI is much less suicidal and (usually) reserves in an intelligent way. I don't just get mechs walking into precision strike insta-kills from my 9-tactics vanguard in the Highlander. I think that the increased defensive mood works well with the panic system mod. If the AI was just charging all the time, I suspect I'd be seeing more ejections.

The biggest issue I can see is that with your mod, the AI can sometimes become indecisive when it doesn't have any safe moves. Best example I can think of recently is from the Smithon defense mission. There's one Jenner that starts in visual range of the turrets at the front gate. With stock AI, that jenner (along with the other lights) sprint into the gate on turn one to get to the fuel tanks. Using your mod, that Jenner just kept reserving (with no cover or evasion pips) , which allowed my mechs (and the turrets) to kill it during the first turn. Granted, there aren't alot of good options for that jenner, but sprinting for evasion is better than reserving when you're out in the open with no evasion/cover. I've seen similar issues in other circumstances where the AI, when faced with no good options, will reserve in a bad spot (no evasion/cover) or will turtle up (the correct move, in my opinion, in those circumstances is to either sprint to cover/safety or to put as much movement on as you can and hit the weakest target ... don't just reserve). Like I said, your AI is usually good at making these choices. Its only in circumstances where mechs are faced with really bad choices.

Like I said though, your mod is a definite improvement and at this point I wouldn't play without it. Keep up the good work.