Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xotl posted:

So you have Stackpole's fiction with some mystical martial arts bullshit, and even a sourcebook or two acknowledging this with a power writeup for this Phantom Mech ability, and then every other writer since then saying "when we said 'realistic' we didn't mean Ninja III: The Domination" and doing the best they can to distance the game from it (which is where the game is generally at today).
I don’t know, more 80’s ninja movie logic in battletech sounds like it could be a good time is sprinkled more liberally than just on protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

The beta won't have advanced video options

There's a significant difference there.

Honestly we won't know how good/bad it is until it comes out. But having to warn that video options at all are limited isn't a good sign from a technical "We want to stress test poo poo" standpoint. Even ignoring how incredibly subjective from game to game what gets considered Basic Vs Advanced options.

So while it is nowhere near doom saying status, it's also not something to just brush off as not worth commenting over either for it to be in such a disclaimer state. (Though it is good of them to be up front about the shortcomings)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The term "Beta" really has been kind of mangled beyond belief these days, yeah. Though at least I thought it was clear "Skirmish mode only" was pretty distinct from testing the full game.

Hopefully however things shake out I can move on to being terrible at multiplayer rather than mediocre at solo skirmish sooner rather than later.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

uh excuse me I am not a member of Team Warcrimes, I am an honorable knight of the inner spherhahahaha sorry I can't even take that group seriously
Given it's June 2nd relaunch, now even more I wish for Brigador+Battletech.

Urbanmechs vs armed luggage carts. The fight of the century?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, but these guys have actually made games that don't suck in the past.

Pretty much. Probably the "Worst" to expect outside of nitpicking mechanics people are or are not personally fond of, is that "Battletech was just Good, not Great".

And then the long wait for their sequel/expansion which will suddenly be twice as good.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think Headshots / pilot injuries are in a good place for Skirmish and Multiplayer, but I really hope they turn them down a lot for the campaign. Especially if they make us bring light `Mechs. You have to work to keep Light `Mechs alive.

Yeah, stingy tonnage limits and even mediums costing a mint are probably why we'll be needing tinfoil lights on the job. As much as anything what would probably keep +1 initiative Mediums from being your go to man for speed in exchange for no active skills. Though spamming sensor lock while they stay as far out of the fight as possible while very useful as said already by others, isn't very engaging either.

isildur posted:

'death' won't always result in a lost pilot. it is likely to result in a pilot in the medbay.

But... um, yes, we have not tuned injury relative to the sim game, like at all. Combat tuning has been its own isolated silo for most of the project. So we're going to have to make a few more passes at things like injuries and headshots before I'll be happy with them.

(That said, I want you losing pilots and crying about it)
My urge to cry gets overuled by my urge to sigh, when AI urbabmechs are headshot machines from across the map while I don't land a single headshot all match :v:

Salt is for deaths where you had that shining chance to not lose it all. Each time my head gets dinged because the coin flip landed on headshot O'clock, it just makes it that much harder to care if they do die. Getting an arm with minimal weaponry in it blown off causes me more concern by comparison, just by how much more earned that pain feels.

But that at least, shows how sweet a lot of the other combat aspects are when limbs getting blown off is loving metal and concerning at the same time :black101:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 2, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Commoners posted:

I thought that pilots mattered (though still not as much as mechs) in particular to mercenaries who can't necessarily just shovel more meat into the cockpits due to funding constraints. Especially in the case of getting someone who is at least loyal to the payroll vs. people who will just run off with the mech.

You mean, one of those logistical problems that only crops up for players and nobody else? :v:

JacksLibido posted:

Dunno, I have a bookshelf filled with literally 50 battletech books and pretty much each one emphasized how replaceable mechwarriors were and how important the actual mechs were. In skirmish it works, but if I'm having to put a rookie into an atlas every mission because of a loving srm4 I'm going to be pissed.

I mean, I know you already disagreed with this post. But it's a good highlight.

I am also curious how practical light gameplay will shake out, once people have actually more than one day under their belt and start considering their value without hinging entirely on their pilot skill.

So far it seems more like it is encouraging the very "Atlas Scouts" mindset everybody keeps getting up in arms about. Particularly with some of the reactions considering the act of trying to scout with a scout mech as some kind of crime deserving of your light mech immediately getting cored by a mean look.

Skippy McPants posted:

Use your Lights either as back-stabbers (Commando, Jenner) or long range skirmishers (Panther, LRM Locust). If you're just running into the middle of a fight alongside your Atlas, they're going to get shredded.
I mean, what makes Lights matter for this beyond ball busting tonnage limits? Why ever use an Urbanmech if you could fit an appropriate medium with more movement, armor, weaponry, AND the ability to mash :f5: rather than fight most of the match? Sensor locking during the light phase to line up shots for your bigger mechs doesn't seem to matter either. Heavies and assaults will still have to wait until after your meduims go anyways. Plus any potential "Well, maybe smalls have a longer sensor range?" is outweighed by their survivability and firepower by virtue of not being a tinfoil baby.

Stuff like this is why you can't just say "Use sensor lock. That's how lights work". You have to judge the mech category on it's own merits, and give it solid reasons to bring even if you were not tonnage capped over it's peers, regardless of skill picks.

Hopefully given more time, more uses will be realized for light mechs even in the current build. If we're lucky, ones that are just as engaging for the majority of the mission as heavier hardware.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 2, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It feels like mixed messages when you see people posting “Lights are great! They totally own assaults if you get behind them no problem if you use them ‘right’” and then “So I noticed I don’t have to worry about someone shooting up the rear of my Atlas. Please nerf Assaults not dying to flanks”.

Pilot death still can’t feel meaningful to me when it’s one caused by the coinflip landing on headshot. loving up and getting mauled because you sent your hunchback out of position, yeah. Rolling your eyes as an AI urbanmech nails your big guy in the face with a headshot from across the map yet again, not so much. No matter how many times people scream how hardcore they are for eating up frequent headcaps and asking for seconds.

Most everything else feels pretty drat cool though, even with my fumbling around like an idiot. So that's a nice sign overall for what the end result will look like.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If they had an open torso section with ammo in it they might have been bracing to prevent an ammo explosion. Skirmish `Mechs might need an "Am I the sole survivor? YOLO!" flag for their AI behavior.
In Skirmish mode, I can totally agree. I just don’t want to see the familiar circumstance of “Loss is meaningful in our game! That’s why enemy units are going to kamikaze you with their reserves!” creeping into the campaign.

But Skirmish mode, neither of you have anything to lose because it’s video games mode.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 3, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

You get one for pre ordering.

I thought that was a paintjob for some reason. But if it starts out in your hangar, then the rest of Skoll's post still fits unless it comes with a preorder deployment discount :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

School Nickname posted:

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment and it's pretty good. Hunchbacks are great for mauling poo poo and distracting enough so the Orions can do their thing relatively unmolested. The Orions in this setup are amazing with the multi-target pilots, who are the highest gunnery pilots as well. For the AI I split my Hunchbacks and Orions so they go after the hunchbacks who maul their front while the Orions snipe their backs with AC10s.

e; just throwing it out there, but does anyone here think lights (and lights only) should be able to attack, then move? Just a choice between move->attack and attack->move.

This is a super fun build (Even if I’m not really using the multishot much), though it’s a shame that the “Two mediums, two heavies. Zero assaults” combo takes up every shred of budget at the max limit. Hell, you can’t even do three Hunchbacks and one Orion without it being at max value.

I know the Orion is the heaviest heavy on roster right now, so you can go 3 Hunch and one of the other Heavies for "Battle" size. But it’s still a bit awkward when “I downgraded one of my Heavies into a 25 ton lighter medium” still isn’t enough of a cut to play at the second tier. I wonder how stringent the campaign will be towards wanting to field x3 bog standard mediums, plus one good heavy as your lance of choice? Even if I keep any and all assaults permanently mothballed to save cash.

As for shoot and scoot for lights, I’d love the concept for single player, but it could end up being a real pain in the rear end from a Multiplayer perspective.

Unrelated: Knockdowns vs Assaults in close fights… Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Sure they get shaken up and rack up injuries by the knockdown. But due to going last that means you knock them down with your heavy, the get back up, waddle over with their remaining movement and unload an alpha strike on you.

Which meant a comedy brawl where my pair of Orions would knock down an AI atlas, then he’d get up and maul one of my Orions further. Repeat while we can’t flank behind him lest their hanging back mech shoot OUR back. With the finish being the 3rd(4th?) knockdown at a point, I finally had at least one mech with a turn left to blow the left side of their body off with an alpha strike that put me a pixel under shutdown (So of course it was a hunchback headshotting his standing armless body that killed them :v: )

A Hunch may not run around as fast, but drat is it much more satisfying to have your :f5: sensor mech be something more hefty once it’s down to a hosed up brawl of errors, and your banged up squad starts hunting down the remaining pristine condition enemy Orion. A pair of dented Hunchbacks can screen a lot more while your letting your heavies cool off from constantly firing as many guns as possible.

My first match with zero deaths ended with the enemy orion seemingly out of ammo and trying to punch everything to death. So we responded in kind :buddy: Shitload of injuries from RNG headshots though. Early initiative order doesn't seem to do any favors for enemy lights. If they get to move up and shoot me first, that means I get to respond in kind with bigger mechs and very likely no penalties to my attacks by way of either Sensor locks or Precise shot. Note to self, use multishot more often to work on trying to finish off maimed lights while still focusing 90% of my firepower on enemies that matter.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 3, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Myrmidongs posted:

One of my problems with the indicator is that I can't actually figure out how to "target lock" something and move. I want to see what my percentages are as I hover across different movement dots to see where I have my best shot. I know this is a thing, but I have no goddamn clue how to do it. It seems overly difficult to activate.

Yeah like people said, you can SORT of do that. But backwards with lots more clickspam, rather than what you are asking for where you anchor on a target, and them sweep your movement destination around to compare and contrast numbers.

I'd really love what you are hoping for to also be an option, it would sure as hell cut down on turn times in multiplayer as well. At the very least the LoS and LRM lines do alter as you sweep the position around, which to be fair is more important to have update in real time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
EDIT: Wrong thread about giant robots with pretty explosions :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I haven’t used inspire because that’s what sensor lock is for :v: “Hmm, I COULD use inspire? Oh my hit odds are already 90-100% and he’s had his evasive removed.” Does inspire bypass evasive, on that note? I'd assume it does if it's supposed to be a big deal. Time to double check the manual!

DatonKallandor posted:

Good at it's job, which is getting you some big defense at the cost of all offense, but not game breaking. It's sometimes a good option, often a bad option. It's a pretty nunanced mecahnic - that contributes to the AI not really knowing to to use it (and obviously not having the ability to use sensor lock doesn't exactly make evasive look worse).

I'm also struggling to make the AI perform well. Give it a balanced loadout or a brawler setup, including only pilots the AI can acutally activate, and it's refusal to send all the mechs into the fight at once just kills it. Give it a bunch of LRM boats, and it'll get it's spotter killed immediately. Maybe I'll have to give it one tanky heavier brawler to spot and some cheaper budget LRM boats?

So the often good AI, suffers from the fact it can’t “Spot” by hiding behind a mountain going :f5: and in fact, is forced to scout the old fashioned way? Hmm… I mean, I'm all for giving the players a slight skill usage edge over the AI (an important factor in a campaign setting where you will always be outnumbered in the long run, rather than even skirmishes). But it does highlight the situation further.

Sky Shadowing posted:

For those who want to create their own MechWarriors (portraits included), there's a far easier way to do so than the guide I posted earlier.

Linked Here.

Hopefully this sort of thing is still handy, or even more so, for launch. Man From Volta needs to branch out in his mercenary contracts.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 4, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

The idea of "you lost your Atlas on turn 2 of this mission, RIP this entire campaign" is something they actively said they didn't want, so if that's roughly like losing half your company in Battle Brothers, there you go?

While I’m optimistic enough for them to want to hold true to this claim, it’s also the kind of thing that flies in the face of keeping in :rolldice: headcaps where the AI urbanmech trashes your dome from across the map.

You can’t have your cake and eat it to, for “We’re avoiding random chance hard losses!” and “Headcaps are what battletech is about :rolleyes:

So hopefully there is enough beta feedback to properly deal with that, rather than a lot of nodding about how Btech it to worry about your face randomly getting blown off. Because claiming stuff like that is good suddenly sounds reasonable, by comparison to people bringing up X-com over 120% of the game mechanics, rather than the 50%+ it’s closer to :v:

Zaodai posted:

And maybe you put your more expendable guys in the roles more likely to die. If you don't want to have to replace your god tier pilot, put him in the assault, not the metal babby. You can always hose out the cockpit and hire a new pilot from out in front of Space Home Depot if you need to.
But even the Assault isn’t safe, so yeaaaaaah. Just going “Well use tactics and expendable pilots then” can’t work around something no amount of tactics can prevent.

“Whoops, my assault pilot just got headshot injuries from across the map twice already in all two turns of combat so far. Guess I should have put my expendable rookie in my most expensive mech.”

I mean, outside of saying never getting shot at in the first place by so much as indirect fire LRMs, is the appropriate response for your Medium-Assault mechs that want to shoot things with direct fire weaponry.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, you must be having some HORRIBLE (or good depending on how you look at it) luck compared to me. Out of 7 hours of game play I can think of maybe two times that I had pilots killed and maybe ten where I've killed the enemy pilot, and a lot of the latter was when I was experimenting with LRM lock downs to shaken-baby-syndrome Atlas pilots to death. Don't get me wrong, I get WOUNDED pilots all the loving time, but if the pilot maintenance aspect of the campaign is anything like Mech Commander that isn't a show stopper. Pilots got wounded all the loving time in MC but they also slowly healed between missions. The long and the short of it was that maybe you put your wounded ace pilot in if you really needed him, otherwise you benched him for a mission and used someone less capable in his place and dealt with the inefficiencies.

The way pilots, injury, and death are handled in MC and MC2 works really, really well and somehow I suspect these guys are familiar with what worked and what didn't in those games.
I generally have some spectacularly horrid luck whenever it comes to RNG based aspects in any game, yes.

While you’re being pleasantly reasonable about it, more often than not discussing such things is made all the more frustrating because a large majority of defenses for such mechanics boil down to “Well, things are going GREAT for me! So you must be personally doing something wrong to deserve it despite playing as well or better, or spending ten times as long grinding, etc :v:"

Often from the sort of person who will immediately switch gears to explaining why having a lovely time with missing on 95% odds is supposed to happen constantly because math. Basically tailoring their stance on RNG luck entirely around whatever post better fits a “I’m great! You’re just bad! That’s math :pseudo:” statement.

Your own experience sounds like the kind of thing I could get behind much more, but as it is an experience based on a dice roll as much or more than personal input, welp. And as others said above, when they are often more likely to kill an enemy assault by way of just slapping them around until the pilot dies in a mech that hasn't even been stripped of any frontal armor yet... yeah. Sounds about right when you don't have the luxury of safe flanks a gogo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but A) I'm not saying any of that and I don't see that being a common theme in this thread and B) past MW games have dealt with pilot injury in a pretty elegant way that doesn't make you want to reload every time an SRM dings something's head, while still making pilot health a thing you have to track. Having your pilots beat up on missions isn't a bad thing in and of itself, it just means you have to keep a rotation.

Think of it less like hosing out the cockpit and grabbing a new rando off the street every mission, and more like having 5-7 active pilots you rotate through your 4 mech lance because people need time in the med tent once in a while.

Again, that's the kind of thing I can get behind. But when even my handfull of skirmish missions DOES require me to hose off my cockpit, the rotation of medbay pilots still is a luxury I'd wish for come campaign time.

Though to be fair, so far I've only had one case of "Literally first round of combat got me headshot killed". But round one-two headshot/headshots injuries are much more common.

Getting the side of my lights and mediums blown off early because I was an idiot and left them out of position is something I can understand. But part of the hard part of such talks is how often the defense of damage and risk immediatly rushes for "Some people just wants a power fantasy, loss is part of Btech!"

Nah man, I can handle loss and pain when it feels earned. But I feel more worry and concern from a limb loss even if I win in the end, than I do just writing off an immediate death because the dice swung that way either immediately, or one time too many just feeling too gamey for any investment or feeling of personal blame. My lights are fragile enough as it is without "Your tiny little head got blown off when you'd otherwise have come out relativly intact" on top. I can't treat assaults as having any form of real durability when I'm always more worried about RNG headshots.

So I end up playing slightly recklessly with my heavies and assaults, because a higher repair bill replacing an Orion's arm is preferable to giving the dice more chances to roll up headshot. "This mech has already got 3 injuries from being shot by indirect fire LRMs alone that I have zero way to prevent if I want to fire at the enemy Atlas, while never getting shot at single time by said Atlas. Welp, better just say gently caress it and rush em head on once the assault is down-Oh, another injury"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 6, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I just got some "Good" Mileage out of my evasive skill commando because the enemy would happily turn it's back on my Orion and and Catapult in favor of attacking it's armless, weaponless torso multiple times. I guess the enemy heavy was feeling sore for being shot in the back 3 times, but I dunno what the hunchback's excuse was.

Meanwhile, because it wasn't rolling headcap kills, I spent the whole fight ignoring the enemy urbanmech landing potshots into my exposed backs. Until it was time to swifly put the boots to it's neck when it was the sole survivor "Okay, my crippled catapult. Fire your 4 medium lasers at the enemy light. haha, blew it's leg off already"

Well okay, I'm pretty sure it was the one that finished off my Sensor spam commando, who took one too many indirect fire LRMs and not even cowering in the woods on the opposite side of the map while braced could save it from the RNJesus.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Evasive isn't factored into the hit percentages so an AI that looks for the best possible hit percentage won't take evasive into account.

The enemy opposition dropping everything to keep turning their backs on my heavies to try and shoot a limbless evasive skill commando multiple turns, definitely helped me feel better after three alpha strikes to the back of their Orion did basically gently caress all rather than "No guys, flanking with a light will totally shred Assaults!". As I in turn just ignored their Urbie shooting my heavies in the back half the time.

My own personal experience so far being "No headshot rolls? No reason to worry about lights flanks on either team". So while once they do get hit they will quickly crumple like imitation tinfoil, at the very least when limits force me to bring a light I can take advantage of the AI preferring an "easy target" so my REAL mechs can get a free flank shot or two.

Indirect missiles from a Trebuchet are a pain in the rear end though. AI seems real good with them considering I can lob 80%+ indirect fire via sensor lock missiles from an Orion+catapult into a mech multiple turns and MAYBE I'll make it unsteady between it's brace resets, but one salvo over a hill from their single Treb and my Catapult immediately goes from zero to unsteady (And the 2nd or 3rd blows off one of their launchers). Though that, as much as anything, may simply be my usual RNJesus luck at play.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 7, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

In fairness, who among us wouldn't drop everything for Operation Shoot Metal Babby?

It's probably half the reason to bring Multi-shot, honestly :v:

Maybe I should deliberately set up the enemy to have a Jenner since it's namedropped so much. I realized in basically sticking with giving the enemy Presets for the most part between "Whatever fits in there so I can fight an Atlas". I've been shot in the back frequently to no consequence/Headshot from the front at their maximum range by basically every enemy light BUT the Jenner.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This only makes sense if the AI retreating has a concrete effect on the player. If you have a campaign where surviving enemy forces need to be dealt with later (like the half-armies made up of shattered units you see in the Total War games) then the enemy getting off the field is a pain in the rear end. If you're not going to see them again? Then it just becomes a way for the player to push the enemy into retreat mode and select the one mech that he will engage to salvage.

Yeah. For as much as I've made :spergin: posts about Player scarcity vs enemy scarcity and how it's all just a flea circus. It's just much more clean cut gameplay for fight to the death enemies, unless you are already building things from the ground up to accommodate enemy retreats as a major factor. Plus if they are retreating, even with evasive from sprint that's a lot of free shots to their back armor anyways.

Throw in the fact a lot of discussion about enemy retreat mechanics would be how best to adjust the player of money and resources because "Well, you had it easy, didn't actually have to kill them, so you get paid less for this mechanic we pitched to "help" you. It's not fair if you get paid or get salvage for retreating enemy right?" and other well meaning stuff that just makes it potentially a detriment rather than an aid despite all the effort put into such a mechanic.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 7, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If you have to give the disclaimer "Well, it would be a problem for Mercenaries though!", then it's not a problem relevant enough for the setting to matter except when the writers or GMs need it as a plot point.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been re-reading the old BT novels (they're cheap on Amazon as e-books and make good enough airplane/beach fodder) and lol getting pissed at anything in the fiction surrounding this universe. It's wall to wall special snowflake units who get super awesome lostech and beat up all their enemies while never getting hurt except when they can have a bad rear end noble death while still winning in the end.
There seems to be some kind of odd blindspot where even if it is only half as effective (or less) as what some named character has? If a player has it, it's automatically OP Mary Sue Bullshit to be nitpicked to death with the full might of encyclopedic lore knowledge being selectively applied.

Which goes for any setting, really.

EDIT:

Phrosphor posted:

There is a post on the official forums right now calling for the removal of the special pilot abilities in this game because only 'Lore Characters' should get special abilities.

Ugh I keep trying to convince myself my brain is exaggerating about that sort of thing, and then nope this poo poo actually happens and I was just lying to myself in an attempt to feel less cynical.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 14, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

Before lances were in the game, we were syncdropping by all pressing launch at the same time to end up in the same game. This was apparently unfair.

Meanwhile, posting about getting lucky where the matchmaking had you beat out an obvious 8 man lance with your rag tag collection of solo droppers was "Name and shame" They were angry at both sides of that :v:

I think that was my only mod whitewashed post on those forums, too. Made all the more funny considering the intent was to compliment random pubbies coming together, as much as anything.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 14, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

Good luck knocking down those Shreks is all I can say to people expecting to cheese the campaign with knockdown strats.

I was more concerned with knockdown strats aimed at the player, honestly. The AI is pretty good at milking their trebuchet indirect fire for all it's worth even when it's not causing knockdowns "Okay, I brought a catapult-oh I got hit three times by an out of sight Treb, there goes one of my launchers"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's a hotly requested feature on the official forums and one of the devs gave a really long explanation as to why not on this post here on this page. (warning, official forums)

Basically, if they give you that power, they have to explain it, explain what situations you should use it in, animate it, balance around it.

Pretty much 'no'.

An eject button would not protect you from "Whoops. headshot kill" anyways.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

This thread needs more pretty pictures.

Sounds about right, put it in the OP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

To be fair they moved forward, with none of the disputed Mechs in Beta. All the ones included aren't the targets, so there's no reason not to be included.

The only real thing HG could argue about this is that the promise of the "illegal" Mechs being included in the Kickstarter and advertised as being in created demand for the game because obviously those are the only Mechs anyone care about so clearly it would never have succeeded without it so whine whine whine.

Really? I could have sworn the Atlas was in the beta, and that was shown on the screenshot somebody linked of "Look at these totally rip off mechs! Clearly an Atlas looks just like a fat Valkyrie!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

An unfortunate thing for this game is I'm afraid HG might try to say "we're contesting this product, it cannot be released until the lawsuit is resolved" and the game will be delayed until the lawsuit is resolved, and then the possibility of the appeals process taking a while.

Though I imagine HBS could take out the 'Mechs that are under protest.

Release a Battletech Game without the Atlas.

Skoll posted:

Someone bought a Pacer sub and posted this on discord :

I'm sure that will work out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The underlying cause of why an Urbanmech could one shot your Atlas the moment it saw it from across the map remains, even with the attempts to reduce it below the one hit kill threshold. Headshot gambling still very likley beats two robots unloading all their guns into eachother over several turns.

Or even flanking given the whims of the RNG and "So I alpha striked that guy in the back three times and he's still fine, ON TOP of shooting him in the front with others. Didn't people tell me Commando Flanks were MLG assault one shotters- *one shot pasted by Assault finally turning around*". So reduced damage may only going to further put lights into the "I brought this because I can't afford a real mech" tier given that situation.

Skoll posted:

I've had like preternatural bad luck in the beta with my mechs getting headshot early in the rounds. I know it's :battletech: but I think the RNG especially hates me.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's the thing about iterative design and true betas - if these changes suck they can always roll them back, or tweak them for a third version. It's not like there's a comp scene or leaderboards where they're going to make a bunch of poop sockers butthurt over changing the meta or nerfing their sickkkkkk build.

That's a wonderful theory, but so many games have heard that saying where that doesn't pan out. And here we are with one patch after ages, when it was already in question there would even be another patch.

Though I'm more worried about the legal troubles than "Can they make headshots and light mechs honestly not poo poo rather than 'it's edge cases! only edge cases have issues!'". No matter what the end result is the competitive types will have their spreadsheet builds either way.

So I'm less concerned with "Competitive balance" and more not wanting my primary concern at all times being "Will they headshot me this round". Along with getting lights out of the revolving door hole of "Lights are great, you flank with them when your big mechs are engaging it's target, idiot" to "Oh, you actually flanked with your light and the AI dropped everything to turn around and shoot it? You idiot, lights are for spamming sensors from behind cover" whenever you try one or the other.

I can't use "flank with a light to make the Atlas 180 and turn his back on the rest of my squad in favor of crushing a light with only a light laser remaining" so hot when campaign mode comes around and I need to give a poo poo about my pilots :v: And an increase in crits frequency is going to be something easy to feel much more often outside of "4 vs 4, identical budget".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 14, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

So, it looks like to avoid having to tune the AC damage down too much they've rejiggered the calcs for head hits. Then they also boosted head structure by a point.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9223/comments/175654

So the AC/10 can only headcap the Spider and Commando post damage retuning.

God bless "Iterative changes" ™ being for real :dance:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

And a King Dadlas boss fight. :tinfoil:

"You brought one lance? How quaint."

That's four times as many chances to roll headshoots than he's got :rolldice:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

I doubt it. A lot of the design goal was explicitly "you won't just run assaults!", so them being moneysink garbage heaps fits with that. They lose initiative, they don't get evasion bonuses, they're monstrously slow and take up a ton of (limited) funds you could just put into getting better mediums. I mean, from a lore standpoint, especially in this time period, it makes sense. Doubly so when you only have one lance to field. Especially in PVP where there's no objective to defend or anything, so there's nothing to be like "Well they HAVE to come through this Atlas if they want to get to the Monsanto Corporation HQ!".

I have the feeling the resale value of any salvaged assaults in the campaign mode will be a pittance so you can't just wash your hands of the fact Assaults are for NPCs that never have to foot the bill, and use their exorbitant pricetag to buy and equip a whole new lance.

Then later you will be throw into a grinder and your employees will act all smug "Well you should have had some assaults prepared then, even though we do everything in our power to remind you how much of a ballbuster you wanting to so much as look at one is"

Assaults need more to look forward to in the campaign then "See! You're ludicrous repair bill is better than dying, see, seeeeeee?" at best. And they already have issues in maintenance free dream matchups land it seems.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 21, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

isildur posted:

(I didn't make it through the mission without losing a 'Mech, btw; I had a Jenner and a Centurion pincering the very last enemy Centurion, and both Cents were exposed structure everywhere, and I had three attempts to core him -- all on 85%+ hit chances -- and the gods of RNG were not with me. Over and over and over. And then he hit my Cent just once and killed it.)

Thank you for facing my nightmares about how the campaign missions will go ahead of time so that, hopefully, the stereotype being real doesn't reach the players as much.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Make the Focus/Fury bar a name entry field alongside when you name your commander and company.

"Pilots, use the MAXIMUM MANEUVER"
"Sure boss :jerkbag:"
"Don't make me rename it to Focus Group Fury."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Libluini posted:

For a second I thought you typed MAXIMUM HITLER

The choice for evil companies?

That would be for the glorious pipe dream miracle of a Brigador TBS.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

communism bitch posted:

The Brigador dev is a full on turbonazi.

You may be thinking of the guy who wrote the novel who I think started making some poo poo statements well after the game and book were out. Devs are cool.

I brought up the joke initially because it's a game where weaponry includes turbo acid murder gas canister launchers made by the Loyalists, and the "Small" weapons category includes handheld radiation weapons capable of gooifying a person made by the Spacers.

Civilians are worth 50 credits. Blowing up a trimmed hedge or flat of shipping crates is worth 100.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 28, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rocketrobot posted:

This is not the first context in which I've been told that.

I understand your pain.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Do you want it good, or do you want it on time.

I want it good but not delayed until 2019 due to Harmony Gold :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Get This: D:OS2 is the opposite of Xcom 2 because it doesn't have any dumb poo poo like turn timers and just lets you play.

Like I know the gag is "comparing stuff to Xcom 2" but D:OS is the polar opposite of Xcom 2 design ideas, a combat system that lets you play instead of limiting your choices with deterministic poo poo, it's a Good Game
It does a lot of amazing stuff, but DOS2 also is built with the mentality to ENCOURAGE save scumming so you can rig the fight to your advantage harder :v:

But if you are ready for where "Think outside the box" means "Before the fight be sure to pre-place explosive barrels everywhere" and other DnD metagame vs NPCs metagaming, then you will see and do some AMAZING poo poo.

Like using the "Glass cannon" trait to create a horrible voodoo doll of an aggro magnet tank, because the AI knows he's 100% always vulnerable to status effects and thus is contractually obligated to unload 90% of their abilities on him rather than the rest of your party because he's the easiest target. Then ironically not caring if he gets mind controlled because you made sure your "Glass cannon" trait guy's damage is poo poo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 29, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rygar201 posted:

That sounds awful

If you buy into the PR spin style claims that "Nah man, you just need to think outside the box and use the tools you have at your disposal! It's so natural and gives you OPTIONS" you are either lying to yourself, or going to be disappointed with the game.

But if you are perfectly willing to be honest, and admit that it's a duel of munchkin bullshit vs munchkin bullshit, the game. Then you will get a TON of mileage out of it, so long as that's what you are signing up for.

Otherwise, you will just find yourself being chided for not using all the tools at your disposal because you didn't murderhobo as much of the starting zone as possible. It's NOT a bad game, it's pretty cool when things go well in thinking inside the box disguised as outside the box.

It's just that this is the internet, so any enjoyment of the game has to be phrased as if it's perfect, or it means you actually hate the game :v:

You play it to make an undead warrior dual wielding fire and poison wands as melee weapons to cause constant gas explosions that heal your undead face in the process :rock: (While the AI would rather let their allies die in favor of trying to use "Heal harms undead" on you instead) Because playing most classes as presented is gonna suck. Like how putting a shield on your tank means enemies will do their damndest to ignore them, but putting it on a wizard means getting attacked less often AND a sweet captain america toss for when they need physical damage. Etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rygar201 posted:

Oh, you just have garbage opinions and taste.
Well it is true my taste can't decide if I love it or hate it :downs: I keep binging then burning out on these things.

All the crazy options ARE amazing as gently caress. But it can get very tiring when that is the expectation. I can only imagine how that feels to the latest poor sap get dogpiled asking "How I knight like a knight without being turbo murdered?" about how they are not appreciating the game's myriad totally intuitive options enough.