Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psycho Landlord posted:

(Fr tho why does a clanner scout have a nightstar)

nightstars are very cool looking, this is all the explanation needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AtillatheBum posted:

Cheers, thanks. Really glad I didn't go the other route then, I would have been pissed if I had to replay all those super grueling missions.

That FP was actually made by goon Amechwarrior- He's posted about it in the thread in the past.

Amechwarrior posted:

Thanks! "Tough but fair" is the best response you can give. The "I felt bad for being berated" is also great. It was hard to balance doing the right thing vs the profitable one. As for the time commitment, I agree. This started as 5 consecutive missions, a real grinder. I also have kids, had a newborn at the time I wrote this and it was too much. I'd wouldn't do a triple consecutive again, but I kept it as it fit the brutal grind of the film I took the title from. I help a lot of other people make FPs and try to prevent them from making the same mistakes. 3+ consecutive missions is a really common "I want to write a FP!" creator desire. I get it, but I learned it doesn't respect the players time.

As for 'Mechs rigged to explode. Yes, you won't be able to salvage those specific chassis but you still can salvage the weapons and equipment. I didn't want the player to get AS7-II chassis parts as it would have spoiled the impact of your choice. Turns out HBS added a flag to deny a chassis from appearing on salvage lists. One of the many happy accidents I found when learning how to put these together.

I have another one laid out, but I hit some brick walls with what I wanted to do with it and life got in the way. Thanks for the feedback!

I think his spoiler refers to the choices at the end.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GD_American posted:

If I was going to make an uber-Kickbot in BTA, which way should I start:

5/8 mp 80 tonner
6/9 mp 65 tonner
7/11 mp 55 tonner
8/12 mp 50 tonner

I know TSM is a must (so no MASC), a melee++ gyro, plus the best of the kick+ actuators. Anything else?

There's no real comparison to the good ole Berserker-C3. Comes with TSM, is a terrifyingly fast speed for a 100 tonner with a built in axe, and is just all around awesome. With pilot skills you don't need to worry about having any more movespeed than it brings to the table, and the damage output is absolutely bonkers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Axes are the full body table, not the upper body table. But, it's kinda irrelevant because the amount of damage is so insanely high it'll OHKO any section of a mech that isn't using hardened armor or isn't a max armored 100 tonner.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Found a screenshot from my last BTA campaign with the Berserker I was using:

Looks like a cool 200 damage on kicks, 150 damage from the axe, in addition to all the weapons since they're torso mounted. Oh, and a nice 2k armor to boot+ the ability to get 7 evasion pips. It's absolutely terrifying. That's one of my all time favorites in normal TT play too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

armchairyoda posted:

I have a question for any of our resident mission/modding mavens...

I'm running a flashpoint in BEX (Falcon's Fury) and it's locking me into near-garbage tier IS heavy and medium robots vs Jade Falcon heavies and assaults.

FU*K THAT. Where in the contract .json can I just comment out the hard-coded mech selections?

I JUST WANNA TAKE MY OWN ROBOTS AND WATCH THEM BURST INTO FLAME INSTEAD. Hell, I'd take my medium-only jump/stab lance over a loving stock++ Treb/Griffin/SH/Marauder any day of the week.

Thanks!

e- I see them in the unitDefId stuff, but I don't want to hose the file with the wrong syntax if it needs to be replaced... I've looked through AMW's guide and that Contract Parser guide, I'm just not clear on it. :shrug:

OK, so, you want to find the contracts file- I don't have BEX, so I'll use the BTA Heavy Metal flashpoint module as an example.
The file I'm editing is part of the Morgan Kell flashpoint:
\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods\Heavy Metal Flashpoint Module\contracts\morganKell\c_fp_morganKell_a1_simpleBattle.json

You want to find the line that says something like this:
"teamName": "Player 1",
"faction": "Player1sMercUnit",

Somewhere under all that you'll find a line listing the fixed units you're mad at. In this case for Kell, he's driving an Archer
"unitDefId": "mechdef_archer_ARC-T_fp_morganKell",

You want to replace the part that says "mechdef_archer_ARC-T_fp_morganKell" with the name of any other mechdef file.
The vanilla ones are all here: \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\mech

Modded ones will be all over the place, but you should be able to search through easily just by searching for any file starting with mechdef_. you DON'T need the .json part when you paste the name in the contracts file.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, right, on that case just replace the entry with one of the ones below it. If there's two fixed spots the next two should be open for your player inventory machines. I think it just blanks stuff out mostly.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I would argue it's not satirical at all. BattleTech as originally envisioned was a DarkNoble type of setting; humanity is crawling around in the wreckage of a Golden Era (The Star League) and just can't quit the habit of destructive conflict even though they're blowing up every chance they have of recovery. But there are still heroes and making the right decision can still have a positive impact on people's lives, sometimes long-term (unlike in 40k where no matter what good guys will lose in the end and everything will die).

Jenner has an SRM6

Jenner F baby!!! The -D is for suckers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bgreman posted:

After buying this the day it came out, I finally beat the campaign this week. I'd had a save file on the final battle for a long time, and every now and then I'd load it up, die, and rage quit for another couple years.

I tried again the other night, and managed to kill the final boss but on the very next turn one of the remaining bad guys killed Kamea. Tried again two days later and finally got it.

Is it worthwhile playing the flash points in this post campaign state or would it be better to experience them playing a new career mode? I feel like having a fully kitted out assault lance might make things a little weird.

A lot of the flashpoints are designed for lower tonnage lances than the typical endgame assault crew, so doing them with your existing save will just feel kinda pointless. There are plenty of endgame max level ones too that you could do now though.

One thing that might help out if you had such trouble with the final mission is if you posted the mechs you were using- There's nothing we love more ITT than tweaking and rebuilding mech designs, and that can make a huge difference.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Captain Foo posted:

What is the best overall mech chassis and why is it the Orion

Man I always kinda hated Orions, it seemed like in all my careers somehow it ended up as my first worthwhile heavy, and the builds for them always seem so boring to me. Too much just mini-atlas until you get the much later timeline ones.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Captain Foo posted:

I have one as my primary mrmfucker right now

I do Very Much enjoy the -R variant when I find one. That many missile hardpoints solves all sins.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Atopian posted:

Playing vanilla, wanting to balance the various weapons that everyone knows are over/underpowered.
Non-exhaustive list: ML, SRM are strong. AC2+10, PLC are weak.

I assume that the thread has come to consensus on this at least 500 pages ago, so I thought I'd ask rather than trying to figure it out myself:
What are the generally accepted tweaks that could bring various weapon systems in line?
Hoping for simple things (damage, heat, tonnage, range, ammo) rather than stuff like "change how missiles fundamentally work".

Base game wise, here's what I like. I generally go with lower weights for non AC20 autocannons, ammo per ton buffs, slight buffs for the workhorse large laser, and some heat reductions on some of the more toasty ER weapons. Basically I really like being able to build heavy dakka mechs, so my tweaks are aimed at that accordingly. I generally don't actually mess with damage values though, because I find those are pretty good stock.
my general moves are:
ammo-> 1.5-2x ammo per ton
AC2-> 2 tons
AC5-> 5 tons
AC10-> 8 tons
(ER)Large Laser-> 4 tons
LRMs: even out tonnage progression per size, so 2/4/6/8 tons for lrm 5/10/15/20
(er/snub nose)PPCs: Drop tonnage by one, reduce heat by 15%.

I don't actually even remember which of the more advanced weapons are in vanilla vs all the mod packs, since it's been so long since I played the game without something like BTA3062 installed. But in general I stick to the theme for all the advanced weapons, UACs being a ton or two heavier than their normal counterparts, LBX being a ton lighter, some buffs to pulse lasers in terms of slight tonnage and heat reductions.

If you only made one tweak I would say the small AC ones are the most impactful to me, because there are an awful lot of lighter mechs that have those smattering of ballistic hardpoints that are functionally useless, because even AC2s are far too heavy to really use in any way. But with dramatically lighter AC2s you can actually toss a few on as long range plinkers or backup weapons that are light and low heat.

e: I also generally go through and add armor/heatsinks to the stock designs that use AC2s like Blackjacks and Jagermechs, so they're not such walking free kill tinderboxes, but that's a bit higher effort than a couple find and replaces.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 8, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They're all predefined in the base game. There are mods that dynamically account for changes, generally with extra armor or larger engines.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GD_American posted:

I've got a few salvage Hazards I haven't really played with yet. I'll poke around there.

I remember trying an all-plasma cannon Dire Wolf build for duels and it just led to this hilariously long 40 round duel until I ran out of ammo, I kept shutting him down but he'd never blow up.

It's been a while, but I know BTA has seriously nerfed heat damage in one or two releases in the past couple years. I can see why, it was stunningly good for a loooong time. Inferno Arrow IVs were just LOLOLOLOLOL.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I very highly suggest playing max generosity on salvage/cash and no more than 4 parts per mech assembly in the big mods, but that's just my preference towards tactical vs strategic difficulty +desire to COLLECT ALL THE MECHS.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also, mw5 with a big ole pile of mods is legitimately very very fun in coop and Plenty Fine in single player. I'd have enjoyed a better single player campaign, but with all the dlc stuff, there's still enough.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

afflictionwisp posted:

When / what was this all about? I've always thought that the only thing HBS licensed from PGI was the mech artwork, to make less work for them and keep things visually consistent between the two games. Pretty sure that PGI only had rights to the 'Mechwarrior' IP, not video game production rights to the BT franchise as a whole, so if the license ran out for HBS to make another Battletech game, that wasn't on PGI.

It's purely speculation, there's no actual reason to think that PGI was the reason for no battletech 2.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I either build for fast TSM melee brawlers ala Berserker-C3, potentially even with hardened armor, or slow super heavy sniper builds on Assaults. There's just not really good in between for them. Anything that wants to play midrange basically has to be on a heavy so that it can move decently enough.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

pork never goes bad posted:

The Baradul collection is a really great start. And yeah, turn off the scary tanks mod and configure YAML tank and VTOL stats to something you're comfortable with. I'd also add a few mods from NexusMods that aren't available on Steam for some reason that Baradul is using in his current playthrough. Mod Options has already been recommended and is only available on Nexus. Coyotes mission pack is the other major recommendation I wouldn't skip.

Personally, I like Stacked Crates as well. I have the rewards tuned to be similar to vanilla in value so I'm not just getting two marauders and an atlas out of a random crate in a 240 ton mission but the mod opens up all the equipment in the YAML collections to be available in crates and, heck, if you want to get a buncha mechs in early crates you can go hog wild.

That second one is great, the vanilla crates are kinda like "what's the point of this again?"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

tactlessbastard posted:

3062...why do some of the reinforcement forces show up wounded, and on sometimes a rare time they die off screen?

It's kinda intended to represent "these guys were coming from another battle and got rushed in to action because you're blowing everyone to hell"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Captain Beans posted:

(MW5) Are there any crate overhaul mods that are safe to use in coop? It seems like stacked crates will crash coop :(

Afaik you can use any mod in coop so long as everyone has it?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NihilCredo posted:

What's the state of MW5 these days? I haven't paid much attention since the poor impression it made at release, and MWO suffices for my occasional first-person-robot cravings. Has the AI been improved (by patches or mods) to a point that is fun?

With all the mods I had a pretty good time doing a merc career, ignoring the original campaign. I didn't have a big problem with my AI lancemates losing weapons right and left like seemed to be the case in vanilla. It definitely does need the mods though.

I do really miss the more hand crafted missions that the MW4 series had, but the DLC campaigns are ok enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
With all the mods and the collection of scripted missions it's an enjoyable game, but the scripted stuff is still not really on the level of MW4's campaigns. It's best enjoyed either coop or as a "Gotta collect em all" Mech toybox type deal.