Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cyrano4747 posted:

goddamn it's on my hard drive now. Sitting there. waiting.

I have the loving bits and bytes on my computer.

Countdown timer go:

http://www.webcountdown.net/?a=uG9ZQ8W

oh hey, thanks for the heads up while I'm still somewhere with faster internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ratzap posted:

Hmmm, Eriadni horse fuckers may be free though.

Pence's Chosen

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rookersh posted:

So if I wanted my character to be a space faschist type, but like service guarantees citizenship/technically not total dicks do I go space China or space Germany. Like I want to be an honorable duck.

Space Germany seems kind of a hot mess barely held together. Space China deems closer to what I want, but do they tend to be super dicks? What's your average chummer going to think about my guy being space Chinese.

The Capellans are kind, gentle, and do not have a murder legion that's a really big fan of skull symbols.

Any reports to the contrary are seditious lies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

Everyone is a total dick in battletech. Everyone.

Those guys who claim to not be total dicks? They're the biggest dicks of them all.

The Free Worlds League are actually a quite decent place up until your garbage little sub-state gets invaded by a more powerful neighbor and the League government is incapable of doing anything about it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

What actually happens here, campaign wise? Do you just keep going?

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY FOOT

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:f5:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

the unpacking Time Remaining makes me angry and sad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

A bad Battletech game. Not even surprised. :homebrew:

it's good

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I am very, very glad that you don't have to pay for ammo expended.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I am really on the fence. I like robots, but hated the Shadowrun games and thought they were super dull combat-wise. I had forgotten that HBS did those.

How long is the SP camplain supposed to be? I don't care much about MP.

you can keep playing it forever if you feel like, i gather

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

King Doom posted:

loving hell, this game is brutal. Took me like six tries to finish the first mission. First time I was doing really well, the the very last tank that spawns shot the leg off a mech that hadn't been damaged yet. The absolute best attempt I managed had two of my mechwarriors out of action for a month due to those missile spewing death turrets being able to blast chunks off pilots without actually hitting the mechs.

Question time though. When the Leopard lands on top of your lance, kills everyone and destroys every mech you have on the field, that's a bug, right?

:stare:

yes, that's a bug

and the best one reported yet

(also the first post-tutorial mission is the most brutal you'll run into for a while)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Kind of surprised that elevation doesn't really play in this game, I thought I remember that being a big thing in MechCommander.

Yeah, I had to look at the modifiers to figure that out.

It's not entirely bereft of value, though - you can very easily retreat mechs out of the firing line if you're firing down at some schmucks in a canyon or whatever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

darnon posted:

First mission after the time skip and the shadow hawk goes and melees my Blackjack clocking it in the head. Main character lethal damage and down for 140 days. :staredog:

Yeah, think I'm gonna savescum that.

my PC got out of hospital, went into the second story mission (on the moon), and promptly got put back in rehab for 50 days

frankly I'm more angry about the +25% crit LRM battery that got destroyed in the process

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

barkbell posted:

wow this game sucks poo poo color me surprised mfers

wrong

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Seriously - I'm not sure why people are having so much trouble with it. It's a huge tutorial that signposts HEY BLOWING UP THE GENERATOR MAKES TURRETS NOT SHOOT and gives you a nice clear path with long line of sight to get to said generator and then does it a second time later in the same mission.

I didn't realize the enemy can spot for the dumb LRM turrets so I got myself into a bit of a pickle engaging the first two idiots and getting pelted with annoyingly accurate missile fire.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rookersh posted:

The surprising twist is her Uncle is right. She's a naive little poo poo who has no idea how planetary governance works, and whose ideas are outdated and won't survive once she actually takes office. The Aurigan Coalition is right next to a bunch of major powers that want that land, and she's talking about reducing the military to fund more schools and talking to them about peace. Shockingly enough, the Aurigan Coalition doesn't seem to exist circa the next major event in the Battletech Universe! And I'm sure she also becomes more of a poo poo later because this is Battletech!

I'm probably even less far than you are but this is my impression. :v:

Mordja posted:

I feel like every Battletech-based video game I've played has had something to do with restoring a rightful monarch to the throne...

I enjoyed MW4 Black Knight because your previous character turned into a sneering tyrant and your job was to take him out so House Steiner can reconquer reclaim the planet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Impermanent posted:

space feudalism is such a dumb idea that the concept of earnestly engaging with the plot never occured to me in the first place.

congratulations

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Popete posted:

In the first mission with the turret generator my main character was knocked down and injured, at the end of the mission it says he's out for like 110 days.

Is that going to be a problem? Should I replay that mission?

It's not a big deal. You're losing out on some xp, but pilot level isn't make-or-break (especially since your only real constraint is salary and mech maintenance, and guess what, salary scales with pilot level :v: ).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kenshin posted:

My favorite thing to do in this game so far is to surround a light mech with two medium mechs and just kick them to death

Q: is there any AoE artillery later in the game?

No AOE anything yet.

except in the opening mission for civilian targets

edit: apparently i'm wrong about environmental damage in at least one set piece mission?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dropship update: when there's a dropship potentially incoming (like on a "secure depot" mission), the hexes where it'll land and kill any mechs standing there are highlighted red and if you mouse over them it'll say "DROPSHIP COMING, STANDING HERE BAD".

So don't do that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Caros posted:

Amusingly, despite how well my game has been going overall, I completely missed the second generator on the first Merc tutorial mission. Ended up watching a friend replay it and I died a little inside.

"Give up your mechs, our turrets have you targeted. :smug: "

camera slowly pans down to the turret control system next to my Shadowhawk's right foot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Gotta say it is an incredibly dumb oversight that end of mission automatic dropships can blow up your mechs

the only ones I've seen have a big ol' red marker on the squares where they're gonna land with a big ol' warning if you mouse over them

don't go there

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

I've had some just drop out of loving nowhere with no warning so maybe it's a bug?

Could be!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Just went on another base capture type mission. Here's what the warning shows up as for me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know how any of you are complaining about the graphics

Back in my day we played Mechwarrior with goddam wireframes and we liked it

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like:

this but... unironically?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DarthRoblox posted:

Uh, so does anyone else hear the wailing of tormented souls when the camera zooms in for exciting walking action? It started on the moon but hasn't gone away since...

working as intended

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i guess what i’m confused most about is you can indirect fire on targets with LRMs so long as they’re in line ofnsight of any other teammate, right? is the reason why sensor locking is good for LRMs just the evasion penalty?

You can then target enemies that are in sight of NONE of your mechs (and therefore can't shoot back).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:toot: restarted for Totally Garbage Exclusive Ability reasons and headshot the moon heavy out of the blue.

thank Space Allah for getting three guaranteed salvage slots on that mission

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

hire him, put him in a locust, and let nature take its course

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Insert name here posted:

I did it in almost completely stock mechs (the only thing I did was swap out the AC/2s + arm lasers + JJs for AC/5s on my Blackjack) without any serious losses (unless you count my Vindicator's PPC :rip:) so it's probably possible without any sort of refitting at all. Speaking of that mission, the final enemy decided to run up and try and punch my Blackjack, who was next to my Shadowhawk:

It, uh, didn't end well. Also hey free Quickdraw (the final punch knocked the mech down and killed the pilot)!

Speaking of refits, I have no clue what to fit on my mechs so I've sort of just been leaving them stock right now. I read earlier that what you should do is max all arm and frontal torso armour? What do you guys normally drop to fit the extra armour?

moon mission is totally 100% doable with your starter mechs

ideally you'll pull a jenner or firestarter out of your mercenary rear end to replace the spider, and it's a good idea to go dick around for a little bit anyway to get pilot xp and maybe some other bonii, but you could very reasonably handle it the moment it is offered to you

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I kinda hoping MGs get a slight buff in the future, I know they suppose be crit seakers but they don’t seem to be any better at it than any other weapon. What I would love for them to get is some stability damage considering you have to haul ammo around to use them, and it would give them a better gimmick compared to the other support weapons.

MGs being garbage is a fine old BT tradition

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I do have one mechanical concern: if you click through all your noncombat moves at once, you can get them all processed even if they would normally be interrupted by enemy contact, which makes it an annoyingly time-sensitive operation for optimal play in an otherwise turn-based game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

You get an ammo refill for free between missions, although I'm sure someone would and probably should mod that in at some point.

:argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

The decision to make the tutorial a mandatory 1.5 hours where you can begin the game with your starting character in the med bay for several months is one of the most astoundingly bad gameplay designs I have ever seen.

I mean it's funny and all but cool, an entire 2 hours wasted.

starting with your PC in the medbay is an ignorable problem and people who restart over it are dumb

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

What lesson exactly? I mean they already make your character literally immortal, so unless the lesson is "you shouldn't have too much fun" I fail to see what we should be learning as players.

"if you have too much downtime due to medbay, hire a warm body for a quarter of the price of an LRM battery and stuff it in a cockpit"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

alternatively and relatedly, "pilots are to all intents and purposes expendable resources, like everything else"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Deuce posted:

Tank shoots AC/5, single hit removes my Locust's right arm and right torso. The gently caress is with the math in this game

extra damage to arm goes to torso, i'm pretty sure

also if you're fielding a locust anything that happens to it is your own fault for doing so

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

So two questions:
1. Does this game have Uziels?
2. I would like to place an order for 8 Uziels.

As far as I can tell, no. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

to slightly elaborate, the baseline Uziel uses a shitload of clan-derived tech, so it makes sense that it's not in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Assuming it was undamaged, was this shot from the Locust's rear? A stock Locust-1V has enough frontal armor/structure to (just barely) soak an AC/5 hit to the side torso and a hit to the arm would've destroyed the arm but not done enough damage to also destroy the torso.

A side torso being destroyed also blows off the arm on the same side.

Ah yeah, that'd do it.