Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
It's amazing how simply swapping out the old AC2s for LB-2-Xs and shoring up the armor turns your old Blackjack into a bonifide murder machine early on. That 4x12 damage is ridiculous against the opposition you face in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Had the most amazing mission today. Me vs an Urbanmech, a Shadow Hawk, and the new Archer.

I managed to take out all three through pilot kills. The Urbie and Shadow Hawk I got luck with head hits, and the Archer I was able to just knock around constantly until its pilot cracked his skull open on the inside of his neurohelmet.

I really dig the Archer. It's special gimmick is that it has a system on board that makes LRMs cluster more closely together, so you get more concentrated damage on fewer spots on average, and it also makes SRMs deal more Stability damage... but lol, turning an Archer into an SRM Boat feels very silly when you can rain 40 missiles on some poor dude from across the map.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah, they aren't very good at head hitting (they only get 1 roll chance to inflict injuries) and due to clustering mechanics they're rather poor at called shots in general (for a given salvo weapon, every hit reduces the called shot bonus by half, until it's down to its normal location hit chance).

On LRMs in Centurions, they can do it, but brawl fit is so much better:

I still prefer turning one of my Cents into an LRM Boat, as they are the lightest 'Mech you have access to that can comfortably mount two LRM15s with 4 tons of ammo without sacrificing too much armor. By comparison, the Trebuchet is ironically too fast, which causes problems because all that weight is being wasted on a bigger engine when all the Treb is going to be doing is hanging back and raining missiles down on dudes, and thus either needs to give up armor and become really easy to take out if someone gets in their grill, or has to give up ammo or backup weapons.

Once I get a decent heavy that can do LRM Boat duties (hello Archer), I convert my Cent back to a brawler.

... Of course, this all goes out the window if I start a game with a Cent and get an LBX-10 out of my Heavy Metal Crate, because LBX SO GOOOOOOOOOD.

Or hell, an LBX-5 even. 2s get strapped to any Shadow Hawks or Blackjacks I net.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I find a lot of the lower-weight Heavies to be pretty bad, because they're designed to be as fast as the higher-weight mediums, and end up blowing all the potential weight on a bigger engine instead of more weapons and armor.

I'd much rather have a fully kitted out Shadow Hawk than a Quickdraw or a Dragon.

Anyway, I have seen the special tech for Assassins, Phoenix Hawks, and Archers, but does anyone know what the special systems for the other 5 Heavy Metal 'Mechs are?

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 27, 2019

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

The Hammerhands is a Warhammer predecessor with dual AC10s. It's one of the many Legally Distinct From The Actual Warhammer mechs, but it's actually good so it kinda has a following of its own.

Master Unit List and Sarna say there's a 75t Stalker variant too but I've never heard of it.

Won't lie, I love the Hammerhands, along with a lot of other 'Mechs of the era that have been phased out of service for one reason or another. Another personal favorite of mine is the Swordsman, which was a trooper 'Mech used by the losing side of the Davion Civil War, which they obviously stopped producing because, well, they lost and the winners weren't too keen on picking up a contract for the flagship Battlemech of the enemy they had just vanquished.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I am kind of falling in love with the Vulcan, to be honest. The CQC Suite makes support weapons a lot more viable as something other than just extra damage to tack onto a melee attack, and every Support Weapon setup is viable in its own way. Small lasers is TONS of damage for its weight, Machine Guns are fantastic crit seekers for when you have punched holes in things, and the ever popular Flamers are excellent at neutering a 'Mech. Just doubling the range of my Support weapons is fantastic.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Do you guys think I got enough Panther salvage? Cause I'm not sure if I got enough Panther salvage.

Also not seen on screen, an entire intact Jenner that I got after my Shadow Hawk and Wolverine bullied it in melee.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

'Huh, there is a blip on my radar in this one skull mission that's acting on Initiative 2. Must be just another Striker, annoying but not an issue. Here it comes now.'

'Wait a second, is that a 'Mech signa--'

'S'UP FUCKERS!'

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Virulence posted:

Davion doesn't just sell UAC2/5/10/20++ in their shop. They sell an unlimited number of them. Holy poo poo.

Davions like moar Dakka

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Okay, an Urbie with double LB-2-Xs, twin Medium Lasers, 3 Jumpjets, and as much armor as I can cram onto the little garbage can is a fun build.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

At least that's my interpretation: Battletech makes more sense the more feudal you make it. Likewise the Clans would have made a lot more sense if they behaved more like the real Mongols did, rather than the half-assed klingons and furry enthusiasts they actually are.

Star Captain Herbert sexually identifies as SQUAWK

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

anakha posted:

Filter for the following:

* Battlefield: Actuators & Gyros
* Chemical: Missile weapons, Flamers, Inferno racks
* Electronics: Laser weaponry and TTS computers
* Industrial: Cockpit, Heat Banks and Exchangers
* Mining: Autocannons. Base models guaranteed, Heavy Metal variants randomly rolled.
* Research: PPCs of all types, COILs, Narc beacons, TAG lasers, ECM and Active Probe gear.
* Star League: Lostech.

I have been trying to find a list of what the various Star Systems traits do for a while now. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

In the heavy metal loot crate you get after day one, what is the best mech you can get?

You can get either the PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk, the ASN-21 Assassin, or the VL-2T Vulcan. The all have their uses, but I feel that the best one of the three is the Vulcan. It's a naaaaaasty beast when loaded up with a full suite of support weapons, and makes for an excellent Backstabber as a result. That CQC Suite is dope.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Woot, just bought the last bit of salvage I needed for a 6R Warhammer. Sadly I don't have enough big energy weapons for it right now, so it is currently totting 4 MLs and an LB-20-X with 3 tons of ammo, maximum frontal armor, and 3 extra heat sinks

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Started a new Career Mode. My Heavy Metal 'Mech was the Vulcan, and I started on Panzyr, and in the shop was an Arm Mod ++ That gave +60 Melee Damage.

So now my Vulcan is loaded up with machine guns and going all Gun Fu on peoples asses with 110 Melee Damage roundhouse kicks and bullets in every direction.

(Once I get some drat SLs, I'm turning it into a kung fu disco rave)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

So now my Vulcan is sporting a quad set of SL, maximum JJs, heaps of armor, and the crown jewel, a +60 Melee Damage Arm Mod in one arm and a +20 Melee Damage Arm Mod in the other.

So now my mental image of this Battlemech is the standard Vulcan frame... except with GINORMOUS gorilla arms.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Blerg, man, the Phoenix Hawk is so underwhelming. The Vectored Thrust Kit is a neat gimmick and all, but the fact that you're pretty much pidgon holed into an All Energy loadout makes it run so hot that trying to actually make use of the extended jump range and damage buff during an extended fight a huge pain. Of the three 'Mechs you can get off of the Heavy Metal crate, it is by far the weakest IMO.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

The ARC-2S (unlike the 2R) has 4 missile hardpoints, like the C4. I think it has 4 energy hardpoints too. It doesn't make the C4 bad. It just means that the 2S can do everything it can better.

Yeah, I noticed the same issue involing the 2D Shadow Hawk compared to the standard 2H. The stock 2D is garbage, but the hardpoints for it are basically the 2H But More, so there's no reason to keep a standard 2H once you've scrounged up the parts for a 2D.

Likewise with the -101 Assassin vs the -21. The 101 is everything the 21 is But Better.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Patrat posted:

I feel that a lot of the concerns about light mechs/speed being useless could be avoided by removing choice over exact mission parameters and just stealing from the tabletop/MekHQ rules for mercenary contracts.

Rather than just teleporting in for a fight, you take a contract then get paid for putting lances on particular duty over a period of time. Put the assault mechs on 'Battle', the light lance on 'Scouting', etc. Then it generates missions for you over time. Sometimes you get missions like 'try to kill these guys who are running away' or 'run the gently caress away because there are cataphracts with aerospace support trying to crush your scouts'.

I know with MeqHQ I absolutely sought out those awesome Stingers with six small lasers to attach to my 3025 era heavy or assault lances, you need something to help run people down or screen the big guys. Plus for a lot of contracts you needed fast mediums and lights. Phoenix Hawks were really nice there.

Not gonna lie, this sounds like an awesome system. It'd also be a lot more authentic to Battletech too than the current one where all you're doing is clearing out missions in a matter of days before hoping to the next planet.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am fairly certain the Black Market invite doesn't pop up until you have Mechbay 2, I can't confirm that pirates won't offer you access if you bottom out their bar (I think they won't) but I know even if they hate you a lot they'll still make the offer (at a greatly increased fee, of course). I push for Mechbay 2 hard in the early game now.

I've gotten Black Market invites on the very first month without having Mechbay 2. in fact, my current run is kind of absurd because I'm only on my third planet and half my 'Mechs are totting +++ Ultra ACs and LBXs with damage up, recoil reductions, tonnage reductions, and other really nifty things. I even recently got an Orion off an Assassinate mission that I managed to pop the pilot out of because of all my ridiculous shotguns.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

So, I found a U/AC2++ with +damage and -tonnage, making it deal 35 and weigh only 5 tons, so now my Phoenix Hawk is a long distance jumpy rear end in a top hat who skirts around the edge of the battlefield pumping out 42x2 shots, it's great.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

The basic problem is that as soon as you see stock "classic TT" models with LBXes and other lostech guns, you also get XL engines showing up everywhere. This game doesn't handle XL engines without going full MechEngineer and that way lies RogueTech.

So it's hard to preserve the vanilla HBS clean feel and also add in TT 3050 mechs without weird compromises.

There are a lot of 'Mechs in TRO 3050 that are just field refits that don't change the armor, skeleton, or engine of a design. Generally, the only 'Mechs that have XL engines added to them are those that are still being built in a factory somewhere, since trying to squeeze such a fat engine into a Battlemech after the fact is a gigantic pain in the rear end. Likewise with Endo Steel, since in order to upgrade it, you need to literally dismantle the 'Mech and rebuild it with its now extra light bones.

As for the field refits, most of those are a case of 'Lets slap on some FF armor so we can swap out this weapon with its more advanced variant', which is something you can do in your average Mechbay in a day.

Ya gotta remember, in the era of the Clan Invasion, the Inner Sphere was in a full blown panic and was just slapping Lostech weapons on whatever frames they could so they could get them onto the field.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Commander Portrait Loader
If you want to also use custom portraits for your other mechwarriors, then install that and then use the Battletech Save Editor to edit your pilots.

Pretty much this, yes. If you want to add your own portraits, you need to make a 512x512 png of whatever you want to use as your portrait

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

So, after finally finishing the campaign mode, I decided to start up a fresh Career mode save.

My very second mission was a 1 Skull mission involving a lone Battlemech out in the middle of nowhere that was clearly bait for a trap, and the local government wanted me to spring said trap.

So now I am the proud owner of a used ON1-V Orion Battlemech and I haven't even gotten off the starting world.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

ded posted:

Breaking the game via scrolling damage numbers that never stop.

735 damage, with jumpjets.

:psyduck:

Looks a lot like my own Annihilator, except I ran double ERPPC++s that had +10 damage and -1 ton, and had to swap out some DHS for the regular versions because all my other 'Mechs needed them more. Even with jumping and Alpha Strikes I only needed to cut out the ERPPC fire every third round to cool off.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Tanith posted:

I only found one ton of Gauss ammo my entire career. I picked up three ++ rifles in the hopes of getting to field them at some point, but no luck. :(

Yeah, this was basically me in my Career Mode run. I found exactly one ton of Gauss Rifle ammo in the store, and I ended up speeding through the Star League base story mission just to unlock the Highlander so I could get a second ton of ammo to use with my Gun of Headcap Everything.

(Also for the DHS, which i ended up also buying a bunch of full 2N Griffins from the Black Market just to get more of)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

OTOH LBX are pretty useful for getting incapacity kills. I regularly get cockpit hits every other turn or so when running shotgun builds.

My 5x LB-2-X Annihilator was constantly nicking people in the head, to the point where half my salvage came from a combination of his buckshot to the face and knocking enemies flat on their rear end with sheer Stability damage (The other half came from my Murder Marauder claiming heads). Turns out that 5 LBXs and 4 LRM15s from my Stalker do a wonderful job of putting people on their asses, even in the late game.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Did the devs tweak the AI in the campaign? The mechs totally ignored the turrets this time on Panzyr - usually they fire them down first.

It depends on how close you are to them. I believe that once they have a visual on one of your 'Mechs, they stop attacking turrets and focus on you, but if you take over the network before they see your 'Mechs, they'll target the turrets instead.

I usually lose a couple of turrets in the first round on that mission before my jumpy 'Mechs enter LoS of the enemy, then I have them go around the right side towards the mission objective while a single 'Mech on the hill acts as fire support. It's not hard to wipe the entire Opforce that way since between constant backshots from the turrets, my missile rain from the backline, and the jumpies all drawing aggro, the enemies go down pretty easy.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

So I just had my first encounter with the excort bug. I was 'too far away' from the Vehicle and he killed the engine while he waited for me. I was within 3 dots of him at the time, and he never bothered to start the engine back up even when I was literally right up his rear end.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

LBXs are great for the smaller catagories, and smaller calibur UACs are great for the main gun in most mediums and some heavies, but the larger UACS you really can only use for Assaults and offense oriented Heavies simply due to their sheer weighg in both the weapon and the ammo needed to feed it. As for the large LBXes, I tend to agree. For that weight, I would much rather have something that blows big holes in things than something that scatters.

As for Snubbies, they're actually pretty great weapons for any design with limited laser hardpoints, especially if you find either a +damage or a -heat one. Yes, 6 MLs will beat out a Snub in raw damage, but when you're using a 'Mech that only has one or two laser hardpoints, having a Snubbie that deals 20x5 damage or only costs as much heat as two MLs to fire is great.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Jump jets are kind of dumb on it because it only takes 2, which means it jumps as far as it walks I think.

The real benefit to mounting JJs on assaults isn't for the distance you travel, but so you can easily position yourself with whatever side has the most armor facing the enemies. Just replying on nomral movement restricts what your facing can be and sometimes being able to move even a short distance and whip around 180 degrees is a huge boon.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Some of this advice is bad.

LRM 5s and 10s are close enough to as good per ton as their bigger cousins that you'll never notice the difference. ERMLs aren't amazing but they're no longer garbage in 1.8 - they're about on par with LLs.

I made a spreadsheet breaking down weapon efficiency; check out my post history for a link.

I am actually always using LRM5s. They have the best tonnage ratio so if a design has the hardpoints for it, it's almost always more efficient to equip the equivilent number of 5s than it would a 10/15/20, and I'll save my larger launchers for designs with limited hardpoint layout instead. 10s and 20s actually have the worst weight to missile ratio, and the 20s are only useful on chassis that you can't squeeze a 15+5 onto.

10s are always garbage though. It's usually better to skimp on an extra 2 tons of other things to spring for a 15 or to use a pair of 5s instead and save a ton. The only time its okay to use a 10 is when you're going 10+5 to mimic a 15, usually in the early game when you might not have found a 15 to use.

So yeah, 5s have the best weight ratio, 15s are the best when you have a moderate number of hardpoints and want to maximize both the number of hardpoints used and missiles shat out, and 20s are for things that have the weight to spare but not a lot of hardpoints to exploit it with.

As for ERMLs, it's better to treat them as Large Lasers with slightly higher heat and a massive reduction in weight than it is to use them as Medium Lasers. MLs will always have the best bang for your buck regardless, but ERMLs are better used for designs when you want something to punch holes in things so your LRMs and LBXes can find their way inside and gently caress poo poo up.

Even in the tabletop game, they made Medium Lasers just too efficient at what they do, so it's a constant struggle to justify making 'Mechs that aren't just of the mentally of 'What if Medium Laser, but More?'

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 3, 2020

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

LRM15 have the highest weight/heat/damage efficiency.
5 and 20 are equal.
10 is the worst.

And you use 20s because they work best with Breaching Shot, which is what makes LRMs excel as a weapon type.

I usually use LRMs to plant people's asses on the ground myself.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

the yeti posted:

I get that LRM15s are supposed to be better but I can't help but feel like my Centurion is made of tissue paper when I upgun it. I guess I could drop that LLas and some heatsinks and get a lot of tons back.

I typically go two LRM15s, two MLs, 4 tons of ammo so it can fire for 16 rounds straight, and mainly some JJs. I don't bother with extra heat sinks since my Cent is purely fire support, and if it gets too hot, I can just fire only one of the LRMs for a round or two to cool off. As for the MLs, they're mainly there as backup weapons in case I either run out of ammo or if something gets too close.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Hammerhands - 75t - Quite possibly the most popular retconned-in almost-extinct Star League mech. Looks exactly like a Warhammer (which is probably why it's popular), but plays nothing like it. It's as slow as a slow assault mech, and, instead of PPC arms, has AC10 arms, along with some SRMs and MLs. There's not really any other canon mech with a loadout like it!

Won't lie, the Hammerhands looks pretty boss, and I am a sucker for the lore behind it being the reason why Davion is so obsessed with Autocannons. Plus it looks boss as hell.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

There are a lot of bad 'Mech and tank designs out there, but I kind of enjoy it precisely for that fact. Much like a real military, there are a lot of Design By Committee and Multi-Billion Dollar Boondoggles that get forced through anyway because of Politics and bribery.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

explosivo posted:

What's the best way to outfit a Marauder? I was browsing through the steam forums and people seem to think a single UAC/5 plus a couple ML's is perfect if you have a sniper piloting it. I ran this last mission and it worked pretty well but feel like the accuracy on the UAC was generally pretty poo poo.

If you want to Mega-cheese a Marauder, equip it with a -Tonnage Gauss Rifle and ER Medium Lasers, and then just always Called Shot the head. You'd be surprised at how many decapitations you can get.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Norton the First posted:

I have spent no less than nine million C-bills now buying up Griffin 2Ns on the black market just to strip out their double heat sinks. As a bonus I get to have mechs that work OK in the restricted tonnage missions. Overall, good value!

I did the same, and yes, they do an excellent job on Tonnage Restriction missions. Of all the Medium 'Mechs in the game, the 2N has the most room for weapons. If only it had a ballistic hardpoint, then it'd be /perfect/.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

There are just so many different ways to annihilate something with an annihilator. Think I'm going to take one and load it up with LBX and SNPPCs next.

My favorite version of the Annihilator uses five +damage LBX-2s and a pair of +damage -tonnage ERPPCs with jumpjets and DHS. Even with the absurd heat generated by the ERPPCs, I can still alpha strike 2-3 turns in a row, depending on the biome, and cooling off is as simple as not firing the ERPPCs for a round since LBX-2s generate so little heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

the yeti posted:

Just got all the DLC and noticed 2 things right off the bat--

My game hitches about a second almost every time i pull the trigger on a UAC/20

Urban maps are stuttery garbage, and one just crashed on me.

The game's played more or less fine up to that point :shrug: (With a few exceptions, dropships on screen make it stutter like crazy but I figured that was the game engine crying)

There's an option to reduce clutter in Urban maps. I believe it's under the Advanced tab in the Gameplay options.