Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How...exactly do you use Mission Control? I have 3025 Extended, and would love to run a second lance. I downloaded the 1.0, and put it in the mods directory, but I don't see the option to change anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This sounds dumb, but I downloaded and installed the Bigger Drops mod, and I can tell it took because the post mission briefing has slots for 8 mechs, but on the deployment mission screen....I only see 4? How do I add the additional mechs?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not sure if that mod does it by default or if it's a 3062 thing, but on the Argo upgrades screen I have to upgrade the ship to support more mechs and heavier total drop weights. So check engineering?

holy poo poo this, thank you. Didn't realize they integrated it with the story.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm using an AC/20 equipped Wolverine as a backstabber; is there a better 5/8/5 Mech with enough free tonnage to run big hoss until Lostech comes around with XL engines?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Shadowhawk, because the AC20 will be in the protected torso instead of a vulnerable arm.

Shadowhawk is 5/8/3, and can't be bumped up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've never been able to successfully load a mid-mission save. I just treat it as an anti-scumming measure, albeit a frustrating one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

What is the 3? Number of jumpjets? You can add more you know!

Nope. Tried it. It was 5/8/3 in the original 3025 Tech Readout, and I guess they stayed faithful.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Are you using mods?

3025 Extended, yeah. Guess they restrict it there.

Kurita started running XL Chargers around the War of 3039, didn't they?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

"VehiclesCanPanic"

I like the idea of the guy just opening the hatch, walking out of the Scorpion, and hoping for the best

to be fair as soon as the Awesome rears up to punt the turret a few football fields away, I'd be out the door too

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Random thought- I wonder if the DCMS banned the Yellow Bird marching cadence

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Marik has those sweet, sweet rangefinders.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm a long ways away from the Clans (by my timeline, Kurita is just now putting the screws to Jaime Wolf) but I plan to be up coreward when they first come, maybe a few years earlier to pirate it around with Oberon.

Are there any flashpoint mods that add battles/campaigns from the 4th Succession War, War of 3039, or other timeline goodness?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Huh, I found a Medium Laser -.

-2 to acc.

Even the flavor text talks about how poo poo the Argra 27 C is.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is the Longbow the uber-missile boat? I can't think of a heavier Mech that would be in the game with as many missile slots but I'm not up on all the obscure ones. Basically, is there a missile equivalent of an Annihilator?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, but it's a Clan 'Mech.

The Kraken 3 is a 100-tonner with 8 Clan LRM-15s. The Kraken's a crazy boat in all of its configurations, though, the standard version has 10 UAC/2s.

In later eras, the Inner Sphere gets the Viking which is basically a 90 ton Stalker. It's got 2 LRM-20s and 2 LRM-15s, beating out the 80 ton Salamander's 3 LRM-20s.

?

Longbow is pre-Star League, even.

You thinking of the Naga?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

The "yes"was in response to the "is there a missile Annihilator?" (It's the Kraken 3)

D'oh!

Misread.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

fennesz posted:

Does anyone know how mech salvage works? I downed a Marauder without exploding either arms or legs but I only got one piece of salvage back. I could have sworn I've gotten 2 or 3 pieces back from other rare mechs I'd done the same to.

Headshot = 3 pieces
Legged em = 2 pieces
Cored em (CT) = 1 piece

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pharnakes posted:

Well gently caress.

Oh well still a decent price really, thanks for the link. So now are there any mods that I should know about?

Three big ones to choose from, here's a fantastic post breaking down their differences

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/ghz2bx/so_you_want_to_install_a_modpack_a_guide_to_chose/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Doing a miniature version of Wolf's Dragoons' tour around the Inner Sphere just to raid everyone's faction store.

- Allied with Davion to stock up on AC++ (too early in the timeline for UACs, gotta make nice with em again later),
- then Canopus for those sweet +10 damage medium lasers and +3 hit defense gyros,
- then Marik for those sweet sweet 120m rangefinders.

Trying to cozy up to Liao now to see what they've got, then going to BUSHIDO SPACE to close out the 4th succession war.

Wish they had some flashpoints around big stuff in the 4th War like hunting down Teddy Kurita with the Lyrans (or alternately, making the Elsies look like fools with Teddy), or helping the Dragoons at Misery or Wolcott.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sean10mm posted:

After achieving 100 rep with the pirates for that sweet discount.

Are there any all-pirate planets? Like core ward in the Bandit Kingdoms?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

God I would love a scalable Battleforce. Imagine multiplayer games with people managing at the lance, company, battalion and RCT level.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

idk that Battletech itself really holds up all that well to huge fights. Not unless you hand craft it so well on every map to prevent large scale massed focus firing. It sounds cool in abstract, but, "A point of elementals I couldn't see TAGs me and then 20 arrow IVs land on my head" doesn't really make for great actual gameplay.

e: Unless it's like PvE or all against AI or something. That could be fun.

You'd have to disconnect it from the cockpit or power gamers would cheese poo poo up with headhunter and min-max builds. Just pure strategic stuff.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kurita's faction store is disappointing as all hell. PPC++ and Medium Laser +++ (the wrong kind), and Heat Exchanger +++ (the 4 ton one). Pffffttttt. I survived Death to Mercenaries for this?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

they do Snub PPCs too, and the +10 damage snub is the most broken OP weapon in the game

Reintroduced in 3067 by the Snakes; I'm in 3030

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Psion posted:

you really need to preface most of your complaints that you're using some mod because nobody else here is going to remember or assume you aren't playing base game + DLC

Hmmm, true.

Is it a pretty even smattering in here between BEXCE, 3067 and RogueTech?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I enjoyed vanilla but I guess the thought of playing a version with the sourcebooks and tech readouts sprayed all over it appealed to me the most.

I kinda bowed out of Battletech once they moved up to the Jihad (and never hosed with Dark Age, read a book or two and didn't like them) so this timeline is perfect for me.

Roguetech seemed a bit too much when I read about it; I like how the regular game handles combat and didn't wanna gently caress with it too much.

Actually come to think of it, the FedCom Civil War is what lost me. Not that I was a big fan of Victor Sue, but turning his sister into a literal cackling evil witch seemed like a dumb direction to take.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sazabi posted:

Jesus! Did they give the rabbit a diamond tipped drill? It feels like this is deeper than 40k.

It's been a well-supported IP for close to 40 years, and they went heavy very early into novels and sourcebooks as a revenue stream. They published sourcebooks covering the entire 1000 year gap from now to the game setting for each nation that exists. It has a ton of lore, but diving in is pretty simple. There's Space Germany, Space Japan, Space China, Space (Idealized) Britain, and Space Balkans. Knowing that makes things a lot easier.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Wanna play these Pirates of Butte Hold.

It's fun, but also probably a good idea to start packing your bags and heading rimward around 3048 or so. They were pretty much the canary in the coal mine, except nobody noticed it when it died.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I'm running BT Extended 3025 on the most recent update, and the Davion faction stores only have AC2/5/10/20+++ weapons - I can't find UAC's anywhere. Are they somewhere special, or is something up with my install?

The blessing and the curse of playing from 3025 on is that you get to see lostech re-emerge.

Eventually.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I started in 3054(ish), I think.

Sarna says they came back on the market in 3057. But if you make nice with the pirates, there's lostech a plenty on the black market.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Remora posted:

Hey ya'll. I was thinking about picking this up again, I quit midway through a playthrough because I got tired of losing characters I liked to random headshots and always being wildly outnumbered all the time on missions. Is there, like, anything I can do about that stuff, or is that just... the game, and it's not for me?

Use the Bigger Drops mod for a second lance, which evens the odds a fair bit. Also Mission Control will introduce allied lances (with lovely pathfinding, but supposedly this week's update fixed it and I haven't downloaded it to check yet)

As for not losing folks....well there is a "restart mission" button on the menu

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Also, recognize that Infernos are that weapon Most Holy. Shut their best Mech down instantly (with a couple of them) and keep it out of the fight.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I went full ham with the Infernos and got a Longbow (the 4/6 movement variant), loaded it up with 8 infernos and a pilot with multi-targeting, and the feeling of taking 3 Mechs out of the fight (for a turn) at once was veryyyyy satisfying.

None of them shut down after being hit by 2 Infernos, but they usually do kill their turn dropping heat and not firing.

In general, I've had better luck so far with the Crusader 4L, the Liao variant with jump jets. 4 infernos, max armor, jump jets, a +60 melee Arm of Popeye actuator boost, and a large laser++ for something to do until you get in range.

In urban maps, they're absolutely lethal. On wide open maps, you're hauling wide rear end open to close the distance to firing range, and sometimes it gets harrowing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sean10mm posted:

In Battletech tabletop are there any heavy mechs with abnormally small engines to make baby slow assaults?

The only 2/3 Mech I remember besides 100 tonners like the Annihilator would be the Urbie.

Wasn't the Mackie supposed to be poo poo slow?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

When you think about, the UrbanMech is the most honest Mech

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

I wonder if, in-universe, an asymmetrical mech or a chicken-walker or other non-humaniod mech is harder to learn how to pilot? So making a mech that's just a solid block of armor on one side would be like relearning to run after losing one arm. And if so, what does that say about the Atlas?

Or all three. Imagine what that giant swinging cannon does to your CoG

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mission Control makes for some hectically fun games when you're running assault mechs, but I restarted and am running a lance of 50-55 tonners and it's loving ridiculous. No, guys, I'm pretty sure I'm not up to destroying 4 lances, 2 of which spawned flanking me and the 3rd and 4th which landed in consecutive rounds.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I just replayed this loving destroy vehicles mission at least a dozen times trying to figure out how to crack it. I finally did after about six hours.

It froze at the salvage screen.

This.

loving.

Game.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

1. If you've got the mobility, jump behind them, shoot them in the back.
2. If they've got the majority of their firepower in one arm (Panther, for example), try to move to that side of them and hit them from that side (the aim line turns from red to blue). That arm will come off a lot quicker.
3. Don't charge straight up the map. Many missions are designed as straight ambushes, sometimes from two lances, designed to chew you to bits. Flank em.
4. If you see Infernos for sale, snap em up. 3-4 of those on a missile boat basically nullifies the turn of an enemy Mech. Fire them at the most dangerous one the enemy has.
5. Small amounts of LRMs are useless. Large amounts of LRMs are glorious. Few things finer than waves of indirect fire chewing them to bits at no risk to you.
6. Hit the "glass hammer" opponents first- high damage/low armor vehicles or Mechs, such as the Rifleman. The sooner you silence those guns, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Anything with an AC20 must die immediately is my policy.

Also SRM carriers.

Oh yeah. You see an SRM/LRM carrier? It must die. NOW.

The longest loving animation on earth is how many missiles it hits you with.