Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Who is saying that medieval people used the term feudalism?

No one really. But the idea that there is such a thing as feudal ideology is not very well founded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Moridin is saying it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Right, the Baratheons are the cadet line for the Targaryens, which is a big part of why Robert (Well, Stannis really, but that's another thing) was the person around whom a rebellion could happen.

They aren't a cadet branch. They're descendants of one of Aegon's closest companions and the only daughter of the last Storm King. Later on they became related to the Targaryens through marriage (I think some Targaryen lady is Robert's grandmother).

Robert was the only one of the rebels with anything resembling a legal claim to the throne, hence why they made him the king when they actually ended up winning, but the rebellion happening had pretty much nothing to do with this.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Here's a question, does Bran even need advisors? He really just needs bodies to do things.

I guess it's possible that he has no interest in actually ruling and let's others do it, or it's just to make the others feel important.

Also, you shouldn't have a ruler who doesn't want the job. That's stupid.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Salsa Stark should marry Robyn and secure the Vale for her children and use her Tully parentage to seize control of the Riverlands.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is basically the upcoming book plot with Littlefinger setting Sansa up to marry Harry the Heir for control of much of Westeros.

I mean that's a pretty good plot. In that last episode sweet Robin seemed pretty healthy so Salsa should just marry him. I mean, why not? Wasn't that what her character was supposed to have become? That she's scheming and wants power.

e: Also it was really stupid how the Iron Islands and Dorne at the very least did not immediately also secede when Bran just said "sure, why not" to the North leaving.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I have to say I really enjoyed how in Dany's megalomaniac speech that she didn't really think there was much of a difference between liberating people and murdering them. gently caress it, her not dying and just going on a quest to murder-conquer the entire world would have been much better.

Kill everyone now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

Reapers were a very dumb concept to start with. Same with the Night King really and it was never going to have a satisfying end.

Reapers were pretty interesting in ME1, based mostly on the strength of the conversations you have with Sovereign, the Prothean VI and the relevation that Sovereign, the ship, is a Reaper, and of course Saren as the villain who turns out to be a pawn controlled by the Reapers (also a pretty good performance and presence for a video game villain). Then you have the whole sequence where Sovereign just flat out attacks the Citadel and almost succeeds, and that's one Reaper.

If you ask me. That really should have been it. The Reapers are no stranded in darkspace and shouldn't really be an imminent threat anymore in Shepard's lifetime at least. When you just double down on them, then you get into the corner where eventually you have to, or feel you have to, explain fully what the Reapers are and how they work.

The Mass Effect series should ideally have been an episodic thing with each installment dealing with a different set of threats and villains. You can have the Reapers appear again indirectly, through artifacts and such, but the threat of immediate massive surprise attack should have been averted for the immediate future (in a galactic sense).

The draw of the games was the setting and interactions with your crew. They hosed up by going ahead with the Reaper invasion (despite their backdoor having been eliminated) and essentially ended up in a situation where they ended up destroying the interesting setting and world they had created.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How the gently caress has nobody found America, people have boats in this world.

I guess Arya has to find it so she can be the one to import syphilis to Westeros and Essos.

I mean there could just be ocean there like people originally thought in history.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I hope that it's just way too much ocean and that Arya dies of thirst on her voyage.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The one where it's a 90s TV show is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

e: It also features a pretty decent amount of Joffrey. Joffrey was the best.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Emilia Clarke isn't a good actress, she might even be terrible. But the interviews and behind the scenes stuff I've seen of her and her eyebrows this season has kind of won me over as far as liking her.

I think she should try more comedic stuff, not saying funny lines and acting alot, but just being a character actor who looks funny, kind of like a Clint Howard. Though there might be some prejudice and stuff towards an attractive woman doing these kind of files.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mike12345 posted:

she already did some light rom-com stuff, but I think it wasn't very popular

Not really what I was thinking of I were to guess. I want something where she can put her eyebrows to good use.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

lol but posted:

she is actually incredibly posh IRL. like, castle posh

She's literally a noble.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't think Scottish nobility are a notably leftist voting bloc.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

Sexual practices were a lot looser than you'd expect in the middle ages. Even for priests and stuff. It was the reformation that kind of brought the various moral crackdowns, as once the Catholics had some competition from the Protestants they realized that having the pope have multiple children and lovers was a bit hypocritical.

Technically that's not breaking the celibacy vow. Celibacy is about remaining unmarried. Having sex outside of marriage is a sin, but a priest or bishop doesn't (or didn't it's come to be interpreted differently over the years) break a vow by doing it, so in theory that can be solved by confession and penance.

Anyway there were plenty of reform efforts, some successful, some less so, in the Medieval church, alot of them concerned with moral issues. The Middle Ages, particularly the High Middle Ages, were very dynamic in terms of change in all matter of areas.

Also as regards Medieval marriage, even with the nobility it was not normal to marry someone who was way younger or older than you. And they too largely seem to have married in their twenties rather than their teens. And though they were typically arranged marriages (marriages outside the nobility often also were in that the initial match would often be made by friends, family or colleagues) they do seem to have considered it important that the prospective couple like each other and get along. There's a couple of examples of high-profile marriages falling apart because the couple just didn't get along and IIRC of prominent noblemen being unable to find a wife because no one wanted to marry them, likewise (Also IIRC) noble men and women who refused marriage and seemingly could/would not be made to do so by their family.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 6, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Also all of those chivalric romances were about making adultery the highest form of love

Funny thing about Chivalric romances is that they were mostly written by court chaplains (much of the remainder were written by women) and were essentially the final chapter in a long-going effort by these to attempt to civilize and soften the nobility and make things like courtesy, protecting women, children and the Church, romantic love, and so on seem appealing to the nobility. In a way they succeeded probably because they combined those elements with fighting and being a badass warrior and horseman and making it seem as though valuing the above things actually made a knight a better fighter and elevated his acts. Of course they weren't a complete success, but they were at least popular, in contrast to the earlier attempts which had been stuff like guidebooks on table etiquette which were an abysmal failure for the most part.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

If the Templar trials are anything to go by, knights were hella gay when they weren't banging some Lord's Lady

Not saying that the Templars weren't gay (everyone everywhere was gay) but I wouldn't put much stock in anythign in those trials representing anything close to reality. Those kinds of accusations and trials revolving around prohibited worship, sexual deviancy, and all that crap, were pretty much Phillip the Fair's modus operandi whenever he was going to take someone down because he wanted their poo poo and no one could really stop him, he did the same thing against at least one pope, an archbishop and I think several unruly vassals.

What I'm saying is that there would be a whole lot less stupid Templar conspiracies around if more people were aware of how Phillip the Fair rolled and how this was just typical of him. Back then pretty much nobody seriously believed the accusations and only the Templars in France were arrested and put to trial. The order still ended up dissolved, because gently caress getting on France's bad side with this guy in charge, but that largely meant that outside France the Templars ended up just leaving, turning into smaller independent military orders or joining others.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

good wikipedia read. This guy had some sweet Cersei moves.

Phillip the Fair is personally one of my favorites. He was also known as the 'Iron King' by many, due to his rigidity and his apparent lack of emotions ('neither man nor beast, he is a statue'). He's kind of like Stannis if Stannis was handsome and more confident and ruthless. E: though perhaps that's more of a Tywin thing, anyway Phillip was real Tywin and Stannis aren't.

His daughter, Isabella, who became queen of England is also pretty interesting if you like the Cercei characteristics, 'beautiful, intelligent, cruel, manipulative'. She's the one who fucks Mel Gibson in Braveheart, but the movie doesn't really portray her in any meaningful way other than French Love Interest.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 6, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Poor king Tommy and his deadly case of blue balls.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Also because Bloodraven is like just some old guy. In the books hes like a half dead half tree super creepy monster that may or may not be forcing Bran to eat Jojen

No "may" about it, Jojen Paste is definitely real. He'll probably never explicitly deny or confirm it in the books (lol) because GRRM seems to like to write in a way where lots of things are implied rather than explicitly stated, take Theon being castrated for instance.

It's a bit weird that I remember this, but I either read on here or somewhere else where someone was arguing that Jojen Paste was pretty obviously not true and that Jojen hadn't been killed because he hadn't stoically said "this is the day I die". Really? How could it have been made more clear? Like before that he is all stoic and weird and kind of fearless because he knows that "this is not the day I die". Then when they are at that cave he becomes all sulky and depressed and wants to go home, because obviously, green dreams or not, he's only a kid and knowing the day you die is probably all fine and good on every day except the day when you actually do. Then there's multiple mentions of one of the children of the forest carrying around a sharp obsidian knife, Bran seeing a vision of someone being sacrificed in front of a heart tree (to wake it up or something?), and a consistent theme of death, blood and sacrifice being an integral part of magic (also that some sacrifices, such as kings and their children, being inherently more powerful than others and required for more powerful magic, something similar could apply to people who have green dreams).

Jojen got ate.

e: And in the show they just chickened out by having him get stabbed by a puppet hand.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 12, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I still think it's really stupid that Bran just letting his sister take the North out of the realm didn't just open up the floodgates for all the others.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

The nobility would want independence if they can't be high king. Why would they want a scenario where they have to bow to someone and pay taxes when they could have a scenario where nobody is greater than them and they keep all the money?

I'm in the process of listening to the audio books again, and this just brings to mind, did we ever (in either the show or the book) get any indication of what the deal in the Seven Kingdoms is as regards what each kingdoms owes in services and payments to the Iron Throne? I don't think it's ever really discussed, with the individual kingdoms it seems pretty clear that it's the standard feudal arrangement of providing troops (which really began to die out by the late middle ages as armies transitioned to standing forces of mercenaries, with the nobility gradually becoming a class of privileged, but subservient, officers and bureaucrats) and maybe various taxes and tributes in return for protection, mediation and justice.

The relationship between the Iron Throne and the kingdoms (and their Lords) might be similar, but the dynamic would seem to me to be pretty different also because of distance and relative power, as each of those Lords are very powerful in and off themselves with many lands and followers sworn to them. Do we know if the Iron Throne really demands anything from the kingdoms other than that their Lords do them homage and acknowledge them as the only king? Also that they seem to have some sort of obligation to provide counsel (which was a common part of real life liege-vassal relationships). Since there seems to have been no real attempts at expansion after Aegon's Conquest, there wouldn't really be much need for the kingdoms to provide soldiers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

If I was the lord of Oldtown I sure as gently caress would not be chill with random upjumped mercenary getting Highgarden and also being my liege lord.

Bronn being the Lord of the Reach was just preposterous.

e: In the show all the Tyrells died in the church right? And there never was a Willas or a Garlan Tyrell? Who was gonna inherit High Garden? Why would they want to put Loras in the Kingsguard?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 16, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

In teh books at least Maegaery has several cousins at a minimum, and I think the lord of Oldtown was actually related to the Tyrells. Oh no according to the wiki its the commander of the watch who is a Tyrell. In any case, there's just no way that Bronn is going to be lord of Highgarden. Maybe if he never leaves King's Landing he can be lord in absentia but if he went there they'd murder him.

How would he even rule in absentia? He has no existing power network, is not related or married into any of the notable families, he doesn't have an army really. He's just some rear end in a top hat who's good with a sword and gets paid to kill people. How the hell could he rule a medieval kingdom?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well to be honest, Bran probably doesn't really need advisors anyway.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Should have just stabbed him again, Jon Snow was a craven, a turncloak and a wildling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Coolguye posted:

you know, after he (ab)uses his position to take revenge on a bunch of people who caused his death

I never saw it, but I know that the kid stabs Jon Snow last. Does he murder that kid? A brave and honorable man.