Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

I believe they also removed much of the support for it in the UI (including possibly voice commands?) to squeeze more power out of the console in more recent UI overhauls.

Voice commands are still in, but they aren't Kinect only anymore. Any microphone connected to the console should work for everything except turning the Xbox on.

The voice command stuff is the only Kinect stuff that has ever worked consistently so it's good that it can be used by more folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Speaking of controllers, the Hyperkin Duke controller is up for preorder on Amazon, and I kind of want to get one for novelty's sake. Does anyone have it and would recommend it, or is the controller really just a shelf-piece?

For most people it's probably a shelf piece. I really liked the Duke controller back in the day so I picked one up for Halo and Xbox BC. It feels nice to use a controller that big but that's definitely not how most folks feel.

There's also a translucent green model available at Gamestop.

Real hurthling! posted:

You are looking at the b/w buttons as rb/lb so its probably awkward

They added little shoulder buttons too, so you can use either the black and white buttons or the bumpers. They aren't great. You certainly can't play Halo in bumper jumper with them.

StabMasterArson posted:

Lol for fucks sake. I already can't use my Xbonx anymore due to Halo taking up like 100gb and giving me warning messages that I don't have enough space every 5 minutes

You can go into the MCC and delete games you don't want to play to reduce the file size, I think.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Rage 2 and Borderlands 3 are so close in setting and gameplay design it’s honestly bizarre. They come out on the same day too. Rage 2 looks to have the better graphics, but probably not the better longevity.

Rage 2 comes out next week, and Borderlands 3 comes out in September.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

I beat the game on 360. Wondering if my save is on the cloud and if it’ll work on this version. I’d boot up single player to muck around a bit but I have no desire to replay the whole game

It will not. You have to start over.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I just noticed that there is a leaderboard on TrueAchievements for Something Awful members. I didn't know this existed!

https://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=4483

I went ahead and joined. Achievements are silly, but I enjoy them.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol I've had xboxen since 2001 and am only 104th. Goons are intense.

It's fun watching the numbers go up.

I wonder what the lives are like of the people who have two million plus gamerscore. It can't be any fun to play that much garbage and deal with that much frustration.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
TrueAchievements has released a decade in review page for your Xbox account. It's pretty neat.

https://www.trueachievements.com/decade/

Two of my three rarest achievements come from Marvel Heroes Omega and the other is from Rage 2 of all games. My rarest completion was The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories which indicates to me that more of y'all need to play that very good game.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

This could be a beta update thing, but there's a UI change in "My Games & Apps"

There's no longer a "ready to install" link at the top of the Games and Apps pages.

Where they used to separately list subscriptions (above where it would have the storage meter in the bottom left) there is now instead a "Full Library" link which has up to 5 subsections: one for "All owned games", one for "All owned apps", and then one for each subscription plan you're part of.

I think there are some changes to the front page, too.

This rolled out to all Insiders yesterday, I think.

I have been using it for a while. I don't dislike the change to Games and Apps, and the idea of having different silos for each way to acquire playable games is a good one. I have a lot of digital games so any extra filters they provide are useful. They can do more here and I hope they do.

It's a bummer that the random game button they were testing in the Alpha ring isn't a part of this release. I would also like it if there was an easy way to uninstall games that have been removed from GamePass.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I am trying to find a boosting partner for the online win achievement for the 2018 release of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (not the GamePass version, this one). I realize it's a long shot, but I've put out feelers on TrueAchievements and haven't had any success finding anyone there yet.

PM me or add me as an Xbox Live friend. My GamerTag is Zerot.

EDIT: I was able to get it, but I'll leave the game installed for a bit in case anyone else wants it.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 2, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I should just accept it that for the foreseeable future my brother in law that I live with is going to want to play awful weeb poo poo with me bc he loves that garbage and it’s very visible on game pass and I love him more than I hate anime (barely)

I have already extracted the maximum value from playing bloodstained while he watches before anyone asks

Jump force is absolutely appalling in case anyone didn’t already assume as such

He really liked bleeding edge but he installed it six hours before the servers closed for a month

If you skip literally all the cutscenes, Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet is fun enough. It scratches the Phantasy Star Online 1 itch for me, except it's an okay loot shooter.

But, again, skip all the cutscenes.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

How the gently caress does Sony keep loving up back compat?? :stonk:

I think they worded it poorly in the talk. I expect most PS4 games will be BC. But not every game, and don't expect any enhancements, either. Not ideal, though.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

Let's hope! As it stands, the way they worded it implies that 4% of the PS4 library will be playable on the PS5 at launch. :ohdear:

Their messaging on this is very poor. I'm surprised there hasn't been a clarification yet (that I've seen).

Microsoft seems to have the better plan for BC, but their method isn't the kind of thing that Sony would be able to easily spin up after a generation of mostly ignoring BC.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

So to clarify, it sounds like what they were doing was testing the top 100 ps4 games for a PS5 boosted mode. They have the logic chip in the ps5 for ps4 so worst case is the system downclocks and runs in a ps4 legacy mode to basically play all ps4 stuff but you can't automatically use the extra power of ps5 for all ps4 games.

We still need to wait for more information. This was entirely about architecture stuff.

That's what it might have sounded like from the tech talk, but the PlayStation Blog seems to indicate that it's for general backwards compatibility.

quote:

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

Again, they're not doing a good job talking about this stuff.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Sextro posted:

What's the best survival game on gamepass,

Subnautica? Ark is also on there but I didn't like it very much.

Also Minecraft.

quote:

also what is the closest thing to geometry wars on the xbone.

All three Geometry Wars games are available on the Xbone. There are also the Mutant Storm games which I enjoyed.

Outside of BC, Neon Chrome and Assault Android Cactus are the only ones that stand out to me off the top of my head. Neon Chrome is a little more deliberate and has some roguelike elements to it if I remember right. I'm sure there are a lot more but I've drifted away from the genre.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

It was added in the most recent dashboard update.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

If I wanted to get an external SSD, it's entirely commodity and I can buy literally anything, right? Any specific models that I should look at for best value? I'm on a Bone S if it matters, so I don't even have the faster BoneX CPU.

I have a Samsung drive that works on both my X and S. Basically any SSD will work fine.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Tei posted:

I have read somewhere that Xbox is not going to downclock to achieve better compatibility with old games. Thats freaking cool. It mean our old games would run much better on the new console and (*read post upthread*) look better. The price will be some titles may not work "out of the box" and thats sad, but the possibility of getting old games to shine is glorious.

Many Xbox and Xbox 360 games run better and look better on the One and One X right now. The backwards compatibility program is amazing, and what they're doing with the Series X is a natural progression of that.

I doubt that many, if any, games that run on the Xbox One right now won't run on the Series X at all.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

the titles that wont work are extreme edge cases and what will happen is it will still downclock for compatibility if trying to force higher res or fps casues issues in a title. both consoles will be taking this approach.

I don't think the Series X backward compatibility method downclocks, as per the company's PR. It's more likely that if enhancements like resolution boosting, auto-HDR, etc. break something, those enhancements either aren't enabled or can be disabled by the user. For example, you can turn off X Enhancements of backward compatible games in the menu+view menu in supported Xbox 360 games.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

well i mean the enchancements like resolution boosting will come directly from running the software using the more powerful cpu and gpu, and turning it off will make the game run it as if its on an xbone, in which case the cpu and gpu wont still be running full tilt, theyll be closer to xbone stock speeds. cpus and gpus dont just run at max if they dont have to, its a waste of energy.

its not an easy comparison to make with the 360 stuff because its two fundamentally different approaches. the 360 and og game compatibility is a special software wrapper and requires some effort, whereas the xbone stuff is just from having hardware that is directly compatible.

Here's what they're saying about their backward compatibility program. This is taken from yesterday's Xbox Wire post at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/28/xbox-series-x-next-generation-backward-compatibility/ with my added emphasis.

quote:

Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and the SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality.

Microsoft and Sony seem to be taking very different approaches to backward compatibility, and you saw a similar difference of approach with the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

We don't know enough yet about Sony's PS5 plans, just that it'll be backwards compatible with PS4 titles with a similar ratio of working titles when compared to the XBSX with XB1 titles.

From what we know about PlayStation 5 backward compatibility, there are multiple states that the processor can run in. Two of those being a PlayStation 4 mode and a PlayStation 4 Pro mode, and a third being a full-fat boost mode. Their messaging isn't very clear right now about specifics, but that implies a very different approach than Microsoft's.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

That's not a different approach, it's just explained differently.

Can you explain what you mean? Microsoft's method doesn't require the processor dropping down clock speed or disabling CUs to ensure compatibility on troublesome games.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

right, but what im saying is that some games, either because the processing load is naturally low and not really going to go up, or because the game has to stick to its frame rate cap, are not going to be pushing the series x at full clocks. it will be downclocked because all cpus and gpus dynamically adjust their clockspeed based on the load, or because its one of maybe 10 or 20 games that for some reason just dont get on with the new hardware running faster, so its a weird thing for them to say.

Microsoft is specifically saying that the Series X does not downclock. From https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs:

quote:

Microsoft is promising a 4x improvement in both single-core and overall throughput over Xbox One X - and CPU speeds are impressive, with a peak 3.8GHz frequency. This is when SMT - or hyper-threading - is disabled. Curiously, developers can choose to run with eight physical cores at the higher clock, or all cores and threads can be enabled with a lower 3.6GHz frequency. Those frequencies are completely locked and won't adjust according to load or thermal conditions - a point Microsoft emphasised several times during our visit.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

it still doesnt change that there will still be games where they cant uncap the frame rate or let the res go wherever it wants, it just means itll do that while pointlessly running at full tilt. and i guess any games where its explicitly the clock speed causing an issue in compatibility (very very small amount) they just get put on the incompatible list.

I doubt there will be any wholly incompatible games. I could be wrong, but Microsoft is being very confident about every game working.

Red Warrior posted:

I think this is one of those awkwardly phrased statements, more likely they are trying to say is 'hey you can always expect the CPUs/GPUs will run at this frequency WHEN you call on them', like they have confidence in their cooling solution so you don't have to worry that the CPU's going to thermally throttle down to 1.8GHz when you expect to be able to get the full 3.6.

I mean, maybe, but the words "completely locked and won't adjust according to load or thermal conditions" don't invite much wiggle room.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

there will be a small number of entirely incompatible games, its impossible to avoid it. nintendos handhelds all have the processor from the one before in specifically for backwards compatibility rather than adjusting the new cpu to run things and they still end up with a few games that dont work. same with the ps2 having a full compliment of ps1 chips in order to run ps1 games, but it still has games that completely wont boot or have huge issues. always a very very small list and generally confined to stuff people dont care much about, but you cant ever really avoid it even when you put the entire last console inside your new one.

There weren't any incompatibilities going from the Xbox One to the Xbox One X, which moved to an entirely different RAM setup. I don't think I would put much money on it, but this is a bet I feel comfortable making. They're out there saying that every game and peripheral that runs on an Xbox One today will work on a Series X. It shows a lot of confidence.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

but its not possible to get 100% on everything.

We will see! Console launches are always exciting.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Battleborn had better work or so help me...

I think the servers go down in early 2021, so...

My copy of The Culling 2 is going to be much less useful on the Series X, sadly.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

ya know if i really wanted to play high res versions of old xbox games i'd have the current xbox that was advertised as doing that instead of paying another 500 dollars for the same thing with still no new games

Backward compatibility is a great consumer-friendly feature and I'm glad both new systems have it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

They simply have to make new good blockbuster games again

July's Xbox event is supposedly going to be the big games blow-out. I'm doubtful that this Fall is going to have a ton of impressive releases from anybody, but Microsoft has 15ish studios working on stuff. Hopefully those projects will be in a state where they can be shown off.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I think it's fine to be concerned or confused about that design decision, and I'd be interested in hearing the philosophy behind that difference in approach. But it's also the kind of thing that probably doesn't affect anything for consumers other than power usage.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Went through the last few pages and was disappointed to see no mention of the bonkers rumour going around that MS is going to buy Sega and market the Series X under that brand in Japan. So it would be the Sega Series X.

What's actually going to happen is Microsoft is partnering with Sega to bring back VMUs.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

I thought Lockhart was confirmed digital only?

Literally nothing is confirmed about Lockhart.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
My theory, pre-coronavirus, was that one of the two next-gen consoles would release in September. It seems unlikely to happen!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

They've announced 4 consoles in 5 years with no new IP's announced at all in that time and from scratch they build a dream team and stick them with rescuing a series they already destroyed 15 years ago

I don't think that's true. In five years, XGS has released or announced Cobalt, Ori and the Blind Forest, Quantum Break, ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, Everwild, and Tell Me Why. Not saying that's an incredible list but to say they've had no new IP is wrong and there were more at the start of the generation. Besides, it really seems like Microsoft first party has purposefully been holding off for the next generation so let's see what they have to show on July 23.

Also, all signs point to The Initiative won't be at the event. I'm not convinced that it's a Perfect Dark game.

Edit: removed two iOS games because they didn't come to console. Bring Wordament to Xbox, cowards.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 11, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

lol
congrats you got closer to sony's number with creative accounting, now where are the games

Microsoft has an event next week to show off their upcoming slate of games.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Just to be clear, it is rolled into Game Pass Ultimate. Xcloud is a good value add but I would probably never pay for it, so I'm happy with this.

Also, and I don't think this was known, but the Kinect isn't supported on the Series X!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Another statement in that post is eliciting concern online, where he says Xbox Studios games will be cross-gen for "a couple of years", making people wonder what the point of this console is when it sounds like it's just another mid-gen refresh right now. It's definitely a different approach from Sony's "gently caress the PS4" strategy where they're unapologetically going whole hog into making SSD-centric exclusives.

Who knows how long this will be the case and whether exceptions will be made, but I like the move in the short-term. Things are kind of bad economically in parts of the world right now and there's a lot of uncertainty. It usually takes a while for more than a couple of games to "need" to be next-gen exclusive, anyway.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I got all the achievements in Neverwinter Nights today. Turns out that I'm only the second person on TrueAchievements to complete the game. It's a weird feeling.

Barudak posted:

Also goodbye forever Kinect games, Ill miss 3(?) of you.

The Dance Central games are good, and I liked playing D4 with Kinect controls.

So there's at least five.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Being that popular and not figuring out how to make any money basically means that Minecraft is the Twitter of videogames and that sounds about right.

In 2014, pre-Microsoft, Mojang reported in financial documents that Minecraft brought in approximately 330 million dollars in revenue and 128 million dollars in profit over the previous year according to https://www.wsj.com/articles/minecraft-makers-profit-soars-1395140019. This is before realms and before the in-game marketplace. I very highly doubt that Minecraft is not making money.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Phil Spencer gave an interview to some German publications. Part of the interview talked about Microsoft's support of the Xbox One for the next few years, which was discussed a few pages back.

quote:

The thing you'll see on the 23rd is we're giving our studios real creative freedom to build the games that they envision.

As you know we've added a lot of studios to the Xbox Game Studios organization over the last few years and providing them the financial stability, the creative freedom to go build the games that they want to go build, and our game creators want to build great games that can reach a large audience of players.

So I think what you hear Matt [Booty] talking about and what our creators will say is we have a vision for every game that we're building and the vision starts with the player, not the device. If a creator comes to us and says 'No, I really want to focus on next generation with their games, we're completely open to that and we're very supportive of that.

If a creator comes to us and says I have this vision for reaching these customers across different platforms and different generations we're completely supportive of that.

It is really about our creators having choice and allowing them to build the games that they want to build to reach the audience that they're looking for and not things that we're mandating to our creators in terms of what they have to go do.

It's not our rules for our platform it's more about creators creating the games that they want to go build looking ahead.

(Transcript is from here and the video can be viewed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Yeah, but I can live with that. I really just want to be able to play FO: New Vegas on the couch while my wife watches Bravo.

There are some caveats.

1. If you are on iOS, it's unclear what the state of the app will be by then. Right now, it's an Apple Testflight app and you can only play Halo 5. The Android app is full-featured and works well even on an old Fire 8 tablet.
2. While Fallout: New Vegas is currently a Game Pass game, it might get removed at any point in the future (with warning). Also, DLC is not included, but you can buy it at a discount.

Honestly, if you have good internet it's a totally acceptable way to play. I'm sure there will be a $1 trial month available when this launches.