Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Picking up an X and just kind of assuming it will within three years be a regrettable purchase for one reason or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The success of stuff like the Pixel 3a has demonstrated there's a very large subset of consumers out there who actively want upgrades but don't necessarily care about being on the bleeding edge of tech and aren't interested in (or in a lot of cases capable of) paying a premium to do so.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
As companies hammer out the tech I think streaming will be a viable replacement for console-based stuff, but I don't think we're there yet. I was on the Stadia test run (it's how I played Assassin's Creed: Odyssey) and enjoyed the hell out of it, but you absolutely do deal with latency, compression artifacts, etc., and my understanding is that xCloud's streaming is some measure worse than Stadia's.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If they're adding Bethesda's poo poo to Game Pass, that makes it an even more absurd value

Edit: Release says they are ... wonder how long that'll take, what titles make it, etc.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

TheScott2K posted:

I feel like taking future PlayStation revenue off the table makes a ton of Zenimax's value disappear

I doubt Microsoft would bar something like the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout from releasing on PlayStation. It might be a timed exclusive or something, but it'll make it over there. Microsoft likes money.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Barudak posted:

This.

Switch is even questionable.

Microsoft's already publishing on the Switch.

I think what we'll see is either a timed exclusive or a simultaneous Game Pass release. Something like, "You can pay $70 for it on PS5, or you can subscribe to Game Pass and play it for $15 a month."

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

The Grey posted:

I think I have it in my cart via Target but it won't let me check out.

When I try to add it, it says I already have it in the cart. Then I go to my cart and it says it's empty.

This has been my exact experience. I even got to the point of entering payment information after like half an hour of the website making GBS threads itself, and now apparently it's out of stock :(

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

VanillaGorilla posted:

Amazon getting ready to go live - direct page is up at Amazon Smile (have to select a charity): https://smile.amazon.com/Xbox-X/dp/B08H75RTZ8/

Thanks for this! I'd spent 50 minutes slamming F5 on Target, Best Buy, Xbox.com, and Microsoft's store, and gave up—only to check out that link while sitting on the toilet taking a sadness dump and get a pre-order immediately.

Christ, what a mess this has been.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Also "we won't be announcing any new acquisitions" doesn't equate to "we won't be announcing any new partnerships," so it's not like they're slamming the door on bringing Sega's poo poo over.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

John F Bennett posted:

GTA 4 car handling owned, I was sad they arcaded it up for GTA 5.

I ... don't think I've ever seen this take before.

I disagree, and that's whatever, who cares, but I don't think I've seen someone praise GTAIV's car handling.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, they are pivoting to emphasize software over hardware. The only problem with that, IMO, is if you keep doing that you are probably going to depress your hardware sales

I'm not sure they care about hardware sales if their software ecosystem is charging dozens of millions of people $15 a month.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

King Burgundy posted:

Mine still has "We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date. "

Same.

Also, I was a member of Prime when I ordered and did the free shipping thing—but I've since closed my membership, which means now I'm (probably unnecessarily) worried about the whole thing going tits up.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Amazon says I'll be getting my Series X on Tuesday but they still haven't charged me, which I feel weird about

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Thom12255 posted:

Pending charge from Amazon (US) appeared on my bank statement. No email of shipping yet.

Same. I live all of a few miles away from a distribution center, so I guess this is a good sign that I'll actually be getting the X day-of. The communication about this hasn't been all that great, though.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

John F Bennett posted:

I want to try a Madden game on game pass just to see what all the hubbub is about but I don't even know the rules of that sport because I'm a euro. Am I going to have a bad time?

There are pretty elaborate tutorial modes in every version of Madden that walk you through a lot of the basics, so you can totally start there. It's no replacement for having watched the game for a while, but it's certainly better than just dropping into a full game and hoping for the best.

For whatever it's worth, speaking as someone who has watched American football and played video games since he could process these things: Madden's not particularly good at a) representing the sport or b) being a fun game to play. EA just kinda sits back and craps out another version every year with minimal changes to a broken and deeply overloaded foundation.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Quick Resume started working for Valhalla just yesterday and it's loving great.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

mem posted:

My only regret so far on xsx is valhalla. It's...okay I guess. I don't think these new style of assassin's creed games is for me.

Valhalla's a great example of a game where you just kinda put on a podcast, shut your brain off, and start tracking down all the glowing dots and side activities. If you're looking for something that'll let you do that for 80-200 hours, Valhalla's your game. The main quest is a real slog, though, and not particularly interesting.

I've played something like 95 hours of it and don't regret it, but I'm also the kind of person who loves checking poo poo off the to-do list and getting those glowing dots off the map.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Outer Worlds makes a neat first impression, then you realize the game is an inch deep and it becomes a slog from there. It's why so many reviewers were praising it so heavily right at the outset and just kinda gradually soured on it as the weeks went by.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think Far Cry's last couple of setting and stories were bleh but I can't argue with the gameplay. Open world is whatever but if you're gonna do it you might as well just keep making better and better versions of Mercenaries 2.

FC5 took a bunch of lovely steps back from FC4, I think. Got a solid bedrock, though, and as much as I could complain about FC5 I'll probably be suckered into FC6 almost immediately.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Medium thoughts: If you've been itching for something that (for better or for worse) captures the feel of late 90s/early 00s horror games, this seems like it's your jam. If you told me this was a Silent Hill sequel they completed in 2002 only to shelve it, bring it back in 2020, spruce up the graphics a bit and throw in some ray tracing, I'd believe it. I'm enjoying it, but if that particular sort of thing—warts and all—isn't your bag, you're gonna bounce off of it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Generations was not even remotely a tired retread of the classics, how the gently caress does one even come to that conclusion

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

bushisms.txt posted:

Because it literally is... I mean you may not be tired of it, but Sega was clearly flailing and went for nostalgia. Which is why they moved on with a completely different philosophy afterwards.

The reimagined levels were fantastic, though. Game was far from flailing, it was the freshest thing Sega had done with Sonic in ages.

Edit: And the soundtrack owned

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm not denying they went back to the well, I'm saying they did more than just slap a new coat of paint on the old levels. The levels in Sonic Generations carried over aesthetics and bits and pieces of the structure, but by and large they played and felt markedly different from their predecessors. Whether that's enough to not take Sega to task for banking on nostalgia is subjective, but to me it's part of what made Generations good and not just a lovely retread.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Medium update: It's considerably easier, more streamlined, and less ... literary, I guess ... than Silent Hill in its heyday, but the feel is absolutely spot-on. I'm still not done so it might all go to poo poo, but for now I'm impressed and pretty happy with how it's taking me back to the SH2/SH3 days. I noted before that matching the old SH games was a "for better or for worse" kind of thing, and that definitely stands. It's rough around the edges. But if you'll allow for leeway there (which I'm finding easy to do because, again, it's ticking a lot of nostalgia boxes for me), you'll probably have a good time with it.

Definitely not a $60 game, though. Deeefinitely a perfect Game Pass game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Every MGS was Kojima's last MGS right up until it was no longer Kojima's last MGS.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
A game should not force the user into killing actions that it then makes the user feel like poo poo about unless that incongruity is being used to make a point (see: Spec Ops: The Line). If your protagonist agonizes over the act of killing in a cutscene, I should not be mowing down nameless fools with nary a care in the world minutes later. That's lazy storytelling. I'd rather no storytelling, at that point. Player actions shouldn't be these narratively disconnected sequences that ferry you from cutscene to cutscene, they should be woven into the story and characters themselves. Especially if you're Naughty Dog and you really just want to be making a loving movie.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Finished The Medium. Definitely stand by what I said before: If you're looking to bring back that feel of the early Silent Hill games, The Medium has it in abundance. It is extremely that kind of game. It's far easier than they were—and more linear—but the style, the themes, the gameplay, the music, it's all there.

Does sidetrack itself a little bit during the third quarter or so, to its detriment. There are portions where you're playing as a different character, and I found myself rushing through those because I just wanted to get back to Marianne.

Also, the devs thank Beksiński in the credits. Which, y'know, good move, considering how hard they bit his work.

I think $60 would probably be too steep. It's a perfect Game Pass game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

American McGay posted:

I just quick resumed a THPS session from like two months ago lol. I know it's been a huge ymmv situation (maybe they've gotten it ironed out now?) but for me it's been really slick. I can't imagine going back to cold booting.

Makes Yakuza 0 sessions way less harrowing when you know you don't have to worry about dipping out in the middle of their forty-minute cutscene marathons.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Evil Badman posted:

It's 7 bucks if you're still looking to scratch that itch - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/grand-theft-auto-iv/brq2sczctxf2

This led me to noticing Saints Row 2 was on sale for $2.00, so thanks

Probably the fifth time I've bought that loving game

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

univbee posted:

I haven't played the game since it was new. I THINK that was in the game but it's not really a very interactive sequence, it goes into rail shooter mode which you can kind of tell if you look for it. I think all the jumps etc. are pre-determined and you can't deviate from them.

That particular battle wasn't in the game at all. There were a few relatively small arenas you could zip around in, but ultimately the scale and variability you saw in that video was nowhere to be found.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Face of the Franchise in Madden 21 is complete trash but I kinda can't stop playing it

As a rookie QB for the Philadelphia Eagles I accidentally got Zach Ertz—Super Bowl-winning tight end and eight-year Philly veteran—traded, and a year later he came back in A BLOCKBUSTER TRADE and looked to me for guidance because he somehow no longer knew anything about Philadelphia or its playbook

It also apparently doesn't really matter what you do in the games? I've hurdled every challenge the game has put in front of me and it just keeps on introducing adversity for adversity's sake (like the coach of my college team benching me after I lit up the opposing defense for eight touchdowns in a playoff game). Between that and everything just looking like hot dogshit (and what's up with the audio and lighting being wildly inconsistent?), it's incredibly half-baked.

I mean, whatever, people aren't coming to Madden for the story. I get it. But holy poo poo is it bad.

And maybe I'm just looking back with rose-tinted glasses but I feel as though the animation hasn't gotten any better in the past, like, ten years.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Sony has yeeears to turn it around, and we've seen how wildly things can swing mid-generation.

That said, yeah, they're getting whomped right now.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks I appreciate it. I was wondering what do you mean by getting your app nuked? I don’t want to risk my account getting locked or banned.

Someone more informed can probably answer this for certain, but my understanding is sometimes what happens with whitelisted folks using RetroArch is they'll turn on the console one day to find that the app and everything contained within its folders has been completely wiped from the system. Nobody gets banned or anything like that, it's just ... suddenly your emulation poo poo's gone.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Referring to Major League Baseball as "The Show" has been around much longer than that

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Asnorban posted:

The Show very much feels like a game without much done for the next gen versions. Doesn't wow at all.

I'm having fun though. Pretty relaxing.

home run derbies are so god drat fun

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That would be too much Yakuza. The basic gameplay isn't varied enough to carry that kind of marathon.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Butt Discussin posted:

This is good advice that I need to do more often. I end up quitting a lot of games these days that I was enjoying the story on, just because I don't have the time or reflexes anymore to git gud like I used to.

I ended up doing this with Fallen Order (switched to Story Mode about halfway through) and my most recent playthrough of Prey (had already beaten it on normal a few years ago, just flipped on Story Mode from the jump this time and enjoyed the ride). Cannot recommend it enough for folks who feel like they burn out on games relatively easily. It's also a great way to handle games where the act of playing it is either really repetitive (Yakuza) or hammered dogshit (Fallen Order).

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I need everybody in Dragon Quest Builders 2 to shut the gently caress up and just Let Me Build Things

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Barudak posted:

The ship not allowing you to save and the game not working with Quick Resume, at all, is baffling. I had to do nearly the entire thing again. After that save anywhere all the time and it turns into a way better game

DQB2 absolutely works with Quick Resume, though

Also DQB2 is fantastic but my god do you need to scroll through so much talking. Nobody ever shuts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

The Diddler posted:

It does not. If I close the app, I need to sit thru all of the boot logos.

That's ... not at all my experience. Maybe it's just that I've only been jumping to Netflix and Hulu outside of DQB2 and the system classifies those differently or something? Because I've definitely been jumping right back in with no trouble at all.